Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

thrakkorzog posted:

So how many people fall for your cars warranty is about to expire? I find this the most exhausting, just because I have to pick up my phone, hoping for work, and nope, it's a scammer.

I can always shut them down with a simple question, "What kind of car do I own?" And yet they never stop.

I haven't owned a car in over ten years now, and I still get these calls. They aren't doing any sort of validation at all, just shotgunning out calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

thrakkorzog posted:

So how many people fall for your cars warranty is about to expire? I find this the most exhausting, just because I have to pick up my phone, hoping for work, and nope, it's a scammer.

I can always shut them down with a simple question, "What kind of car do I own?" And yet they never stop.

I got one the other day and I told them I had a 1905 Ford Model T. It took her a second to ask, "Do you any cars we can cover?"

I said, "Nope. That's my only car."

She said, "Well, have a nice day."

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I got one the other day and I told them I had a 1905 Ford Model T. It took her a second to ask, "Do you any cars we can cover?"

I said, "Nope. That's my only car."

She said, "Well, have a nice day."

I love that. Going to start wasting all the scammers time with that. "umm it's an '05 Ford."

I have tried being blatantly racist, sexist, and homophobic to get people to stop calling me.

The end result was I had a telemarketer who told me she was turned on by degradation, and kept calling me, requesting I keep calling her Sugartits. "That was some kind of alpha move." she said. And then she tried selling me an extended warranty.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 13, 2022

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

thrakkorzog posted:

The end result was I had a telemarketer who told me she was turned on by degradation, and kept calling me, requesting I keep calling her Sugartits.

:stonklol: no wonder she works in a call center

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Wow, that's true dedication to the sale

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

thrakkorzog posted:

I love that. Going to start wasting all the scammers time with that. "umm it's an '05 Ford."

I have tried being blatantly racist, sexist, and homophobic to get people to stop calling me.

The end result was I had a telemarketer who told me she was turned on by degradation, and kept calling me, requesting I keep calling her Sugartits. "That was some kind of alpha move." she said. And then she tried selling me an extended warranty.

You're missing out on hate loving a telemarketer here

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Volmarias posted:

You're missing out on hate loving a telemarketer here

I passed. I figure someone who cold calls me trying to con me, then says she likes when I insult her is waving more red flags than a Chinese military parade.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I once had a cold call from a place I used to work at, so we spent 5 minutes talking about the job and the manager etc and they still then proceeded to try and book an appointment with me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

thrakkorzog posted:

I passed. I figure someone who cold calls me trying to con me, then says she likes when I insult her is waving more red flags than a Chinese military parade.

I never said date her. Hit it and hang up.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Ham Equity posted:

I haven't owned a car in over ten years now, and I still get these calls. They aren't doing any sort of validation at all, just shotgunning out calls.

The dealership I bought my car from routinely sends letters telling me the 3 year warranty is about to expire.

The car has a six year warranty. They have to know this - they're a VW dealer and they know the year of the car. Zero validation whatsoever.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
This is a cool and fun story, I was leasing a car, and Nissan kept calling me endlessly, like eight times a day for whatever reason

I'm deaf, so calling me for anything is a waste of time???

One day, my girlfriend said enough of this poo poo, answered the call, and yelled "he's deaf, stop calling him" and hung up

Whoever that call center person was, they put it in their notes as "he's dead"

So despite me continuing to make my monthly lease payments, from my bank account, in my name

They tried to repossess the car because I "died", despite no death certificate being on file at all

Paid off the car in full, but Nissan is still hounding me, almost 10 years later, for the 900 bucks in repossession fees that they never needed or devoted a single iota of research towards

I'm never paying that poo poo, ever, even though it's hosed my credit for a long time

In short, cars are the most common scam

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal

CommonShore posted:

I've done something similar with the "this is microsoft support there is a problem with your windows computer" call - "be more specific - I have seven computers running various windows OSes right now."

I had that call once, so I asked them for the MAC Address of the computer that was having the problem. They swore at me and hung up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

postmodifier posted:

This is a cool and fun story, I was leasing a car, and Nissan kept calling me endlessly, like eight times a day for whatever reason

I'm deaf, so calling me for anything is a waste of time???

One day, my girlfriend said enough of this poo poo, answered the call, and yelled "he's deaf, stop calling him" and hung up

Whoever that call center person was, they put it in their notes as "he's dead"

So despite me continuing to make my monthly lease payments, from my bank account, in my name

They tried to repossess the car because I "died", despite no death certificate being on file at all

Paid off the car in full, but Nissan is still hounding me, almost 10 years later, for the 900 bucks in repossession fees that they never needed or devoted a single iota of research towards

I'm never paying that poo poo, ever, even though it's hosed my credit for a long time

In short, cars are the most common scam

How are you able to post from beyond the grave?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

BiggerBoat posted:

How are you able to post from beyond the grave?

The repossession agent finally emailed me after like eight months and was like 'Hi, are you alive, because I've looked through all 50 states for your death certificate and couldn't find one, so... you up?"

and from the day I responded, I was indeed, up

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I just checked my voicemail and it was nearly full because Android identifies an incoming call as spam, keeps my phone from ringing, allows it to go to voicemail, then doesn't tell me. Thanks, Google.

I wish I could share some of my notifications with you. When I get a spam call, it still rings but I get a "probable spam" on the caller ID, then I get the usual "Missed call" notification, an extra "We identified a spam call" notification, a "New voicemail" notification and a text from Rogers saying that I have a new voicemail.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

CordlessPen posted:

I wish I could share some of my notifications with you. When I get a spam call, it still rings but I get a "probable spam" on the caller ID, then I get the usual "Missed call" notification, an extra "We identified a spam call" notification, a "New voicemail" notification and a text from Rogers saying that I have a new voicemail.

This is why I don't turn on any of that auto spam blocking poo poo. I can ignore the initial call just like I do every other call. If they leave a voicemail I can read the text synopsis and delete if it isn't something I want.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Huh, just as I was browsing this thread, I got a text purporting to be from UPS saying they couldn't deliver my parcel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gleebster posted:

Huh, just as I was browsing this thread, I got a text purporting to be from UPS saying they couldn't deliver my parcel.

Private delivery companies are their own level of scam.

Edit: Hey, I got the same text. Tells you to go to e1-ups dot com, right?

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 23, 2022

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Trastion posted:

This is why I don't turn on any of that auto spam blocking poo poo. I can ignore the initial call just like I do every other call. If they leave a voicemail I can read the text synopsis and delete if it isn't something I want.

I get no voicemail notifications at all, much less VM with text synopsis. What is this magic?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Private delivery companies are their own level of scam.

Edit: Hey, I got the same text. Tells you to go to e1-ups dot com, right?

Something like that. I paid little attention because I don't have a parcel coming.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

gleebster posted:

Something like that. I paid little attention because I don't have a parcel coming.

It's a classic phishing scam that's been going on for years, unless you -specifically- sign up for text notification from UPS they won't ever text you about deliveries

In general, just don't click links sent via text message, it's all loving garbage

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I reported it to the FTC, let's see if anything happens.

I'm guessing the FTC database will be breached way before that. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Doubleposting because new: got a call from +0000000000. Went to voicemail pretty quick, then left me a mostly empty message with a drawing of breath just before it ended. No idea what that's about.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You have seven days.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KozmoNaut posted:

You have seven days.

:ohno:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Doubleposting because new: got a call from +0000000000. Went to voicemail pretty quick, then left me a mostly empty message with a drawing of breath just before it ended. No idea what that's about.

Please update us when you get a call from +0000000001

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I've gotten that. I think it's a would-be scammer loving up their configuration, getting an unhandled error, that kind of thing.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Weird cold call text scam:

quote:

Hey, it's Brandon looking to buy land in Summerfield. Do you own any land that you are interested in selling?

Where does this go? Does it assume that I’m a greedy dope who is going to pretend to be selling land I obviously don’t have, and eventually I get tricked into sending money?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sounds like a great opportunity to pitch your plan for timeshares in a seaside property

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
They could actually be looking to buy land there and will pay you 25% the value of your land. We get signs here all the time saying they'll buy your house, no questions asked.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I got a call with an intersting variant of the "you have thousands of dollars in fines and you will be arrested, but if you give us some money, we'll fix it" scam today.

An Indian-sounding guy called asking me if I had gotten the letter. I asked who he was and who he was with. He said he was with the "US Security and Border Guard Department" and there was a warrant out for my arrest. When I asked him why, he said it was in the letter. I told him I never got a letter and he told me I was lying.

I suggested to him that he might me trying to run a scam on me and he assured me he was not. When I asked him why an Indian person would be calling me from a supposed US government agency from a number that belonged to a woman who lived in Tennessee (I googled the number while talking to him), he insisted again that he was really with the government.

The rest of the conversation went like this:

Me: Look, fucker, I know this is a scam. Just admit it

Him: Sir, please watch your language. I am with the government.

Me: If you don't like my language, then come loving arrest me.

Him: Sir, please watch your lanuguage!

Me: Go gently caress yourself, you thieving bastard.

*click*

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bamhand posted:

They could actually be looking to buy land there and will pay you 25% the value of your land. We get signs here all the time saying they'll buy your house, no questions asked.

Yep almost daily I have physical mail from people trying to buy my house. I like how some put a photo of it on the letter to prove they mean SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yep almost daily I have physical mail from people trying to buy my house. I like how some put a photo of it on the letter to prove they mean SERIOUS BUSINESS.

And it's the Google Street view pic for the ones I get lmao.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You are wasting my time, sir! gently caress you!

- Some guy bothering me with a scam phone call

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BiggerBoat posted:

You are wasting my time, sir! gently caress you!

- Some guy bothering me with a scam phone call

Good! More time wasted means less time scamming!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

That’s borderline “nice house you got there, shame if you didn’t sell it.”

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Good! More time wasted means less time scamming!

That's the idea.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mister Kingdom posted:

That's the idea.

:patriot:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

thrakkorzog posted:

lol that's hilarious

Which slurs did you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I continue to get texts addressing me by a specific name and asking if I'll sell them a specific property. Googling the name, they appear to be both a real person and a former owner of the address.

I've been getting miscellaneous robo voicemails--as in different scams--addressed to the same person for years. I wish I could figure out how the hell my number got crossed with his name, because it'd be a hell of a way to gently caress with people I don't like.