Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's Thursday, you know what that means!

OK not really, but I liked this SNW episode quite a bit. Just a nice update to a classic scenario that's been around since early TOS. I continue to be pleasantly surprised at how standalone every episode is, just some bits that build upon characters' backstories each week but no huge overarching mystery to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I miss lower decks. When is that due back?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Later this year

https://www.startrek.com/videos/watch-star-trek-lower-decks-season-three-teaser-trailer

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's Thursday, you know what that means!

OK not really, but I liked this SNW episode quite a bit. Just a nice update to a classic scenario that's been around since early TOS. I continue to be pleasantly surprised at how standalone every episode is, just some bits that build upon characters' backstories each week but no huge overarching mystery to worry about.

Yeah, while I like serialized stories, it's nice to have self contained stories back

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MakaVillian posted:

Yeah, while I like serialized stories, it's nice to have self contained stories back

What's the over under on the number of episodes featuring "Gorn trauma"? So far we've got two in a row, right?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Computer viking posted:

My understanding was that this is why he materialises her every so often - she's only in there for some days before he materialises her, reads her a short story or something, and dematerialises her again. (Which means she does still get sicker, but at a massively reduced rate)

So her entire existence is when she isn’t in the buffer. She would still get hungry at being unbuffered 15 minutes a day after a while, right? So like one day she eats quick then back in the buffer. A few days later she gets to use the bathroom. Is she asleep in the buffer? I seem to remember people sometimes moving while being transported, so is she conscious in there like “The Jaunt”?
Why not just freeze her? That technology exists in Trek and has for a long time.

I really like SNW but the daughter transporter thing just doesn’t make sense to me.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Not watching SNW but here's a hypothetical:

Transporter buffer is breaking her matter down into energy and data, storing it and rebuilding it. I could probably excuse a plot point of "they think they can use the transporter in a way that the computer can constantly run analysis on her pattern while in the buffer and offer simulations of adjustments that can be made during rematerialization to cure her of the condition."

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Making the Gorn into a seasonal threat with a moderate power balance of "They're huge space assholes," is so goddamn inspired.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

So, was this an actually fun silly highjinks episode? I can get used to that.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

:gas:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Computer viking posted:

So, was this an actually fun silly highjinks episode? I can get used to that.

I'm somehow less worried to hear this than I would've been for Picard

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Episode was excellent.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I have to say, with how these series mostly just do slight allusions to the various classic TV themes, I was not expecting to get the full-on Vulcan fight music. I enjoyed that a lot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, that was pretty silly but I also had a good time. It generally fits better with this cast than when the Picard gang occasionally tried to lighten things up.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have to say, with how these series mostly just do slight allusions to the various classic TV themes, I was not expecting to get the full-on Vulcan fight music. I enjoyed that a lot.

When the fight started, I whispered to my fiancee "I hope they play the music." Few seconds later, [Leonardo Pointing at TV Meme]

That episode was delightful. Probably one of my all time favourite star trek episodes. Just whimsical and fun while also being earnest about it.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Definitely the best STNW episode

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
All the episodes have been great to good , but I kind of wonder how their going to stick the landing of the season finale.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Star Trek: Poopcard

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Patrick Stewart was better in 20 seconds of Dr. Strange than he was in 20 hours of his own Star Trek show (I like schlock so I don't hate Picard but it is a bad show)

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Alrigthy, I finally like nurse Chapel. Her too-cool-for-school attitude in the first episode rubbed me the wrong way, but others seemed to like it. Now she's got the love confusions and cares about the crew, so I'm sold.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Patrick Stewart was better in 20 seconds of Dr. Strange than he was in 20 hours of his own Star Trek show (I like schlock so I don't hate Picard but it is a bad show)

I haven't seen that yet but I've been wondering how it worked out. The show feels like he's at the point of just getting his lines out enough to get through production, I figured any other role was gonna be like that.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Captain Hygiene posted:

I haven't seen that yet but I've been wondering how it worked out. The show feels like he's at the point of just getting his lines out enough to get through production, I figured any other role was gonna be like that.

Mostly exposition, but the scene where he tries to save Scarlet Witch's parallel-universe counterpart demonstrates that he can still sell an intense, fairly abstract situation. I've never been worried about his acting skills fading; I just can't fathom why he's willing to accept such crap material for Picard if it's supposed to be his swan song for the character. (Marvel, on the other hand, will surely keep bringing him back for cameos much as JJ Abrams did with Nimoy.)

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Another good episode of SNW.

Every episode I become more and more in awe of Pike's pompadour. It's spectacular.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

still not falling for it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

still not falling for it

We’re 60% of the way through the season and the worst episode was “pretty good”.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Yeah it's nothing amazing, but definitely enjoyable

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

MakaVillian posted:

for a new star trek show that qualifies as amazing

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You guys don't have to hold your noses for bad Trek anymore. Season 3 of the Orville is out.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

HD DAD posted:

We’re 60% of the way through the season and the worst episode was “pretty good”.

I'm currently in awe how SNW and Disco exist concurrently, look similar, but feel so different.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

MakaVillian posted:

So it's star trek?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That was a weird episode. I liked how it kinda felt the most like a TOS plot for a lot of it, even if the actual story wasn't really grabbing me so much. But the conclusion just felt off - it really felt like a turning point where some of the older series would have delved much more into examining the morality of the situation, but here it just kind of ended.

It's the one I've liked the least so far but yeah, that being the worst of the season is pretty solid work compared to the other stuff we've been getting. (Also I've tried a few times now to get into the Orville and it just has not clicked for me. Every time it gets near something interesting that feels like TNG, the comedy aspect just takes it down)

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's the one I've liked the least so far but yeah, that being the worst of the season is pretty solid work compared to the other stuff we've been getting. (Also I've tried a few times now to get into the Orville and it just has not clicked for me. Every time it gets near something interesting that feels like TNG, the comedy aspect just takes it down)

Well so far season 3 has drastically less comedy so you might be able to watch it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Captain Hygiene posted:

That was a weird episode. I liked how it kinda felt the most like a TOS plot for a lot of it, even if the actual story wasn't really grabbing me so much. But the conclusion just felt off - it really felt like a turning point where some of the older series would have delved much more into examining the morality of the situation, but here it just kind of ended.

I liked it a lot, including the ending. We're reminded that Pike isn't Kirk. Pike is still wrestling with how to deal with his own predetermined fate, and just straight up doesn't know what to do in this no win situation other than throw a fit in front of the minister lady.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Been mulling that over... If Pike truly believes he's fate-bound, he knows he's essentially immortal for a while and can't gently caress up. A lot of that one episode about hiding in the storm/gravity well or whenever was odd. He kept saying don't worry itll work. It was supposed to be the captain inspiring the desperate crew with optimism, but it was more like "this whole show has no stakes because I'm good till that thing happens later." Seems weird.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Like I said somebody buy Pike a DVD copy of Big Fish and teach him to look on the bright side.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You know what would have been actually pretty cool is if someone called Pike out on his maneuver afterwards (maybe Spock) and have them point out that according to the ship's schematics, it's mathematically impossible for the Enterprise to have survived the brown dwarf.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That would be interesting in a way that they will almost certainly never do on Star Trek. Have him become increasingly bold to the point of near recklessness, doing wildly risky things, things that should violate fundamental laws of the universe, with the certain knowledge that he'll survive.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's actually a pretty funny idea, I hadn't thought about it coming from that perspective. Of course they're not going to go in that direction, but I'm guessing if they did, it'd be more like he's fated to survive for the time being but if he tries to go all invincible superhero he'd survive but in more of a horrible way for himself and everyone around him. Like if he tries even more reckless stuff with the ship that goes beyond the usual episode level of believability, he blows everyone up but manages to survive in a freak coincidence, making things worse than if he'd just continued on.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ILL Machina posted:

Been mulling that over... If Pike truly believes he's fate-bound, he knows he's essentially immortal for a while and can't gently caress up. A lot of that one episode about hiding in the storm/gravity well or whenever was odd. He kept saying don't worry itll work. It was supposed to be the captain inspiring the desperate crew with optimism, but it was more like "this whole show has no stakes because I'm good till that thing happens later." Seems weird.

It seems to me that he clearly has doubts otherwise he would have completely brushed off the commander's (I can never remember her character's actual name) comment about making your own fate .

In the episode you're talking about, it just seemed like it was the trope of the crew trusting the ship rather than him relying on his future vision. I thought most of that episode was meant to be like a ww2 submarine type thing anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
God forbid Pike gets into a situation where he has to trade his life for one of his crew. Sucks to be Lieutenant Jeff - at least the captain will get some good pathos in as he realizes he literally cannot be killed yet.