Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jomo posted:

I think the brilliance of this show's production team is that they know how to do cost savings correctly; I've never found it to be a jarring experience going from scene-to-scene unlike other shows. I thought it was impressive they did a high-quality Shawshank Redemption reference for Ishigami last episode, just to nail that scene, when they could of scrimped instead.

Yeah, I agree that they've been doing it right this season, putting decent or good animation into the important moments of low-budget episodes and then going with the low cost stuff at suitable times.

I also assume that they made stuff in order, so there was probably a bit of "oh hey we really kicked rear end on the first few episodes, but because of that we definitely will run out of money/time if we keep up that pace, so lets start looking for where we can reasonably save time and money."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The tone the (Japanese VA) narrator said "He has." at the end of the episode, made me almost spit up my drink laughing. Perfect cap to the episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

god I remember this dark horse in the Ishigami bowl.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Xelkelvos posted:

Maki is too godd for this cruel world.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Seeing just how good Maki is really puts a different perspective on all those brief shots of her wallowing in despair during Kashiwagi's dates in the first two seasons. She deserves better.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
That was great and I was actually cackling at the Return of the Ramen Kings.

Also I think Maki is even better in the anime than she is in the manga.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Someone gif that shot of Fujiwara + company bouncing across the screen with the giant cotton candy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

Someone gif that shot of Fujiwara + company bouncing across the screen with the giant cotton candy.

The right way to save on budget! :haw:

Xelkelvos posted:

Honestly I instantly flipped to team Maki x Ishigami (Makigami?) with that scene.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Honestly I instantly flipped to team Maki x Ishigami (Makigami?) with that scene.

Understandable. Miko's been the real loser this season, she's barely been around.

Still loved her earbuds scene though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shyrka posted:

Understandable. Miko's been the real loser this season, she's barely been around.

There's only so much room for an unfortunate girl character in the series. Maybe in the next cour/season when the shipping war starts in earnest

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shyrka posted:

I know they're doing this comedy thing where Miko's "ideal" boyfriend is basically Ishigami but I don't really see it as being realistic/plausible for her to get over her disgust/contempt for Ishigami, just getting to neutral would be a tall order it seems.

e: That reminds me, I wanted to ask what's Nagisa's deal? The scene where things got all scary from her PoV seeing Maki and Tsubasa saying Ishigami was their friend and suddenly she wanted to be Ishi's friend but Ishi got all scared?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 4, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

e: That reminds me, I wanted to ask what's Nagisa's deal? The scene where things got all scary from her PoV seeing Maki and Tsubasa saying Ishigami was their friend and suddenly she wanted to be Ishi's friend but Ishi got all scared?

I just read through that chapter and that stuff was totally anime-original, so it's either referencing something that happens later or showing that people who have sek in high school truly are alien and unknowable.

It was so bizarre it made me think she might legitimately have a mental illness.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Was it a mistake when that flashback said 1 year ago? Shouldn't it have been 2 years since theyre in their 3rd now?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Was it a mistake when that flashback said 1 year ago? Shouldn't it have been 2 years since theyre in their 3rd now?

Aren't they second years?

Nephthys posted:

I just read through that chapter and that stuff was totally anime-original, so it's either referencing something that happens later or showing that people who have sek in high school truly are alien and unknowable.

It was so bizarre it made me think she might legitimately have a mental illness.

I'mma chalk it up to referencing something that happens later then; like maybe she got jealous for some weird reason.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Aren't they second years?

Hmm i guess so. I'm probably confusing some other high school anime with this one lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Nagisa is very possessive of her boyfriend, and any threat to her relationship makes her start plotting against whoever she believes responsible.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was reading reddit and there's an explanation that actually makes sense, I completely forgot about Ishigami's tragic backstory where everyone thought he was this really bad dude you shouldn't get involved with, so that explains Nagisa staring at them like they just became alien lifeforms.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shyrka posted:

Yeah there's been an unfortunate dearth of Miko this season, although I imagine she'll crop back up near the end of the festival given her whole bonfire obsession. It definitely feels like her ending up with Ishigami is inevitable; the way Tsubase and her interactions with Ishigami have been written so far makes me feel like that's gonna end with him getting shot down, but who knows. Show has definitely surprised me in the past.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Nagisa has a low key yandere element to her so finding out that her boyfriend and best friend were both apparently friends with some rando and she didn't know about it probably pissed her off.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this is the same girl who had a private investigator tail her boyfriend as a show of her trust in him; Nagisa is scary

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Carlosologist posted:

this is the same girl who had a private investigator tail her boyfriend as a show of her trust in him; Nagisa is scary

Haha I forgot about that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's extremely easy to forget that Nagisa is a very low key yandere but it does pop up every now and then.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I’ll put this in spoiler tags just in case regarding Nagisa It is heavily implied, moreso in a particular side chapter segment that may or may not ever get animated, that the person Nagisa is the MOST possessive of is in fact Maki herself. To the point where she ends up copying all of her interests. The joke being that Tsubasa himself is one of those “interests” she copies unknowingly.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Super Jay Mann posted:

I’ll put this in spoiler tags just in case regarding Nagisa It is heavily implied, moreso in a particular side chapter segment that may or may not ever get animated, that the person Nagisa is the MOST possessive of is in fact Maki herself. To the point where she ends up copying all of her interests. The joke being that Tsubasa himself is one of those “interests” she copies unknowingly.

Huh, interesting. The anime hasn't really given that vibe much yet but it definitely adds some context to the scene we've been talking about.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm seeing tropic thunder jokes comparing Hayasaka to RDJ and they make me chuckle.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

And if we go even deeper into speculation she's actively making Tsubasa look more like Maki's twin brother. Nagisa is terrifying.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

a pipe smoking dog posted:

And if we go even deeper into speculation she's actively making Tsubasa look more like Maki's twin brother. Nagisa is terrifying.

:gonk:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Xelkelvos posted:

It's extremely easy to forget that Nagisa is a very low key yandere but it does pop up every now and then.

The thing about this school is that Kaguya's dysfunctions are in no way unique; they're all very common among her fellow rich girls.

Kaguya is just the one who has all of them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love it when shows animate greenscreen artifacting.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Laughed out loud at this in going to be honest.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Just wanted to say thank you all for spoiler tag use so far. I've yet to read the manga, will probably start at the end of this season, so very much enjoying being able to be part of the discussion without knowing how things will go at the end of this season.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm ashamed to say I didn't notice this. When did it appear?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Clarste posted:

I'm ashamed to say I didn't notice this. When did it appear?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I didn't understand what this was at the time. It's great though!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://i.imgur.com/SrK1SKn.mp4

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

loving junji ito levels of unsettling shading

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Stick around after the credits.

Also I like how Kaguya and Moeha are on the same wavelength, right down to translating Kei's complaints about Miyuki as stealth compliments.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Weird they didn't fix the mistake from the Manga about Moeha being the second Fujiwara daughter instead of the third.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Ishigami rises today

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I've been enjoying this series a lot but it feels like it's slowly going from being an excellent comedy to being a full-on drama with a couple of gags thrown in here and there. To the point where I'm groaning any time Ishigami is on screen because the dude is such a blatant author self-insert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

ishigami is an extremely well written teenage boy imo