Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

but we got deadlines to meet :ohdear:

(also I’m saving a couple workweeks for a trip with dad for his 60th but I think I can squeeze a lil extra out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

let’s do the same thing over and over again oh golly gee I love it

Upload the mf'er already geez!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
normally when you add extra notes in the arpeggiator it’s an octave up but on the one in ableton you can choose different interval so I put in 7 semitones (a fifth) and clamped them into a key and .. drat that’s fun to play with

I let my partners daughter loose on this while I fiddled with the synth knobs and she had the fun

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i really hope that's you saying that and not your manager/TL, cause if not you need a new team. deadlines are for legal obligations and external product launches. everything else is a projection and can slide with little to no consequence (unless mgmt decides to _make_ a consequence, in which case gently caress em new team time!)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

i really hope that's you saying that and not your manager/TL, cause if not you need a new team. deadlines are for legal obligations and external product launches. everything else is a projection and can slide with little to no consequence (unless mgmt decides to _make_ a consequence, in which case gently caress em new team time!)

yeah that’s me lol don’t worry

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

im_sorry posted:

Upload the mf'er already geez!!

it’s late I’m sleepy and I’m out of music juice for the day!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
music juice

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

music juice is good

put this together in a couple of hours messing with new guitar sounds as a single 16 bar loop with everything stacked then spread it out and put in some variations. really happy with how the guitar turned out, trying to make it sound at least a bit more natural

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/funky-guitar

I'm awful at names so funky guitar it is

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

if you have 1h30 to kill, here's our livestream recording from yesterday https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/telecharger-livestream-56?in=trent-hawkins/sets/tcorporation-x-thawkins-live

i remember enjoying playing it, and i liked listening to the first 20 or so minutes, so might be good :)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music status spent the day loving around in renoise and i have Created Things Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy

bad news: i have no idea how to arrange individual patterns into something interesting. i tend to make about 2 bars worth of everything i have and then just randomly turn patterns on and off or introduce them randomly

i need to learn how to arrange.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

that's pretty much what I do for anything that isn't symphonic like, although it's usually 4 or 8 bars

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s: this is as far as i got tonight

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/the-industrious-glory-of-the-unending-dickweed

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

do not ask me what it is for i fail to categorize it

it's basically just me loving around with rhythm-via-LFOs and getting used to using samples and sample fx in renoise

i can't call it an easy listen, but it sure is the track ever

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

bad news: i have no idea how to arrange individual patterns into something interesting. i tend to make about 2 bars worth of everything i have and then just randomly turn patterns on and off or introduce them randomly

i need to learn how to arrange.

This is about what I do, as well.. although I often set my Beatstep Pro to 64 steps, and just eff around until something comes out, and then randomly turn patterns off or on or introduce new ones.

I found a sample pack of public domain samples, and ended up creating this for some reason.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/high-pressure

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 6, 2022

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
been working on some remixes of a track & got a bug up my rear end to make a metal version. i think it's done but i wanna get more ears on it and make sure there's nothign weird or bad about it before i put it on real streaming services

https://soundcloud.com/killhamster/satanic-panic-metal-ver/s-QKiJk5iBGRl

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

im_sorry posted:

This is about what I do, as well.. although I often set my Beatstep Pro to 64 steps, and just eff around until something comes out, and then randomly turn patterns off or on or introduce new ones.

I found a sample pack of public domain samples, and ended up creating this for some reason.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/high-pressure

share pack pls :banjo: also dope track!!! would be dope to vary up the beat put down by the base synth, and to take advantage of the quiet part towards the end to introduce a melody of sorts and extend from there

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

also im trying to think of what to do next and oh my god there's so much i could do. i could

• transcribe a track or song i like and have been listening to as closely as possible
  • work on learning drum patterns and coming up with drum fills
  • work on learning how to arrange existing patterns in appealing ways (as mentioned above)
  • try writing a track centered around key changes
  • try my hand at something poppy and happy and cutesy and :barf:
  • make something disgustingly industrial like the track from yesterday but even more insane

im a bit overwhelmed and cant decide on one :gonk:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

also im trying to think of what to do next and oh my god there's so much i could do. i could

• transcribe a track or song i like and have been listening to as closely as possible
  • work on learning drum patterns and coming up with drum fills
  • work on learning how to arrange existing patterns in appealing ways (as mentioned above)
  • try writing a track centered around key changes
  • try my hand at something poppy and happy and cutesy and :barf:
  • make something disgustingly industrial like the track from yesterday but even more insane

im a bit overwhelmed and cant decide on one :gonk:

easy, do the first one. just get started :)

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

share pack pls :banjo: also dope track!!! would be dope to vary up the beat put down by the base synth, and to take advantage of the quiet part towards the end to introduce a melody of sorts and extend from there

Thanks! The sample pack I used was https://www.samplescience.info/2022/06/sounds-of-public-domain.html

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

4lokos basilisk posted:

easy, do the first one. just get started :)

no i did the second https://voca.ro/1dx3JpOnpe4q

i still dont have any idea what the gently caress tbqh

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i think it probably makes more sense for writing fills to come after marrying a drum track with a bassline or melody

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

killhamster posted:

been working on some remixes of a track & got a bug up my rear end to make a metal version. i think it's done but i wanna get more ears on it and make sure there's nothign weird or bad about it before i put it on real streaming services

https://soundcloud.com/killhamster/satanic-panic-metal-ver/s-QKiJk5iBGRl

its fine, do it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

current music status drove myself utterly insane by tying this drum track signal value to parameters on a synth patch for the past 2.5 hours

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

you gain nothing interesting by doing that btw

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

Pollyanna posted:

you gain nothing interesting by doing that btw

i like to use drum gate out to gate an envelope that creates a transient for the eq
get that
thwopp thwopp

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

it works well for gain but kinda doesn’t accomplish much if you send it to transpose or 303-style cutoff+resonance I’ll post an example tmrw

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s: spent my afternoon and evening transcribing theme of puyo

https://youtu.be/FVe1Y6TcARc

interesting observation: there’s a kick on 1 and 3 and an even BIGGER kick on 2 and 4

…I’m realizing now that that just makes it four on the floor and is not particularly special

idk how to learn by transcribing :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

big hairy rear end goal for an unknown length of time: write something for string quartet cause drat that poo poo is pretty

https://youtu.be/yNwv1qa2iqo

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

idk how to learn by transcribing :(

there are two ways of learning here: one is that as you listen and transcribe, you learn more to listen in depth. second is that i bet when writing some track in the future you will remember some tricks from the tracks you have transcribed and studied and can then copy them to use yourself

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the way to learn transcribing is to use the youtube playback speed control

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

4lokos basilisk posted:

there are two ways of learning here: one is that as you listen and transcribe, you learn more to listen in depth. second is that i bet when writing some track in the future you will remember some tricks from the tracks you have transcribed and studied and can then copy them to use yourself

that is true. I got some pitch practice and learned that there’s some fun syncopation going in that explains why it feels so high energy

it’s also an example of how an ostinato bass and contrabass, while just flat repeating 8th notes, can still be interesting and useful and nice to listen to

makes me feel better about my own crap

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I still use patterns I learned from extracted mobile java game midis

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t wanna program (touch computers) all day! I just wanna make music (touch computers) all day!

this is UNFAIR

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Thinking it's time I get back on the horse and start making some jams again. Been having a real rough time finding the motivation, had like $4k of gear stolen about 6 months back and it's been a motherfucker getting back in the mood to make things. Have to figure out a decent software synth solution too as a result.

I'm on linux now, grabbed the pro audio package set from the AUR but haven't messed with getting it all configured yet. Expecting a pain in the rear end, but I'm sure I can work through it. Have an actual audio interface so that should make things at least somewhat easier.

My main issue with the software workflow though, is programming drums. Is there a decent VST that will allow me to program drum patterns with an 808/909 style interface? That's like the only way to program drum tracks that ever clicked with me. One of these days down the line I'll buy another Yamaha RM1x, the single greatest MIDI controller I have ever used, and a cheap 808 clone to write in drum patterns, but for now software is the way to go I think.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

what is it about the 808/909 that works so well for you in writing patterns? it seems to just be a typical 16-step sequencer, im sure there’s sequencer vsts out there

or are you referring to editing and automating the patches?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ever sketch out a melody, take a step back, and go “god that’s the dorkiest, most awkward thing I’ve ever written”?

cause i had that just now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pollyanna posted:

ever sketch out a melody, take a step back, and go “god that’s the dorkiest, most awkward thing I’ve ever written”?

cause i had that just now

https://soundcloud.com/jonny290/chest-pain-unit-jonny-290-ask-the-doctor

i wrote this in 2000 and its so cringe but i love it so much

that's a paia fatman that i am tweaking the knobs on realtime. i actually ripped the event horizon samples from a VCR

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

Pollyanna posted:

what is it about the 808/909 that works so well for you in writing patterns? it seems to just be a typical 16-step sequencer, im sure there’s sequencer vsts out there

or are you referring to editing and automating the patches?

Oh I mostly meant the 16 step (ideally with 32nd note support) sequencer, where I can have it playing back and make changes and hear them in real time. Plus an intuitive way to chain patterns to build up a track. I find that iterative approach works really well with how I write.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jonny 290 posted:

https://soundcloud.com/jonny290/chest-pain-unit-jonny-290-ask-the-doctor

i wrote this in 2000 and its so cringe but i love it so much

that's a paia fatman that i am tweaking the knobs on realtime. i actually ripped the event horizon samples from a VCR

naw but that slaps though, and with an opening section to introduce the core ideas and build up to the main hook, plus some harmonic and rhythmic variation+sectioning of the hook over the course of the whole track, it could still be significantly improved

im talking about real comedy like this cutesy piece of poo poo that popped in my head:

https://youtube.com/shorts/EUruqOTfKNo?feature=share

it’s okay until you get to measure 3~4 of scene 3, and then it becomes grossly dissonant

among many other problems and underdevelopment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I'm on linux now,

My main issue with the software workflow though, is programming drums. Is there a decent VST that will allow me to program drum patterns with an 808/909 style interface? That's like the only way to program drum tracks that ever clicked with me. One of these days down the line I'll buy another Yamaha RM1x, the single greatest MIDI controller I have ever used, and a cheap 808 clone to write in drum patterns, but for now software is the way to go I think.

goonspeed for linux, i hope you get audio fixed soon

for sequencing i would try renoise- the trial has no midi restrictions so you can use it as a sequencer