Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It seems strange that you can make a building non-compliant with code as you move out but commercial rents are basically "gently caress you, pay me" so it wouldn't be totally surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

It seems strange that you can make a building non-compliant with code as you move out but commercial rents are basically "gently caress you, pay me" so it wouldn't be totally surprising.

Eh, it sorta makes sense since a lot of safety equipment is bound to the sizes of the machines installed, if the original machines are not included, what good does say a safety rail for a lathe do if the lathe isn't there?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The people took the loving doorknobs off the building on their way out lmao

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

pofcorn posted:

Wait, what? Lmao

Edit: is there a term for gun incel ?

The condition is called micropenis. The bigger the gun, the smaller the penis.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The people took the loving doorknobs off the building on their way out lmao

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?!"

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Warmachine posted:

This is something your legal team would catch at any sane company. From experience working with the one at mine, they tend to ask really specific questions out of left field about things you assumed, because it is their job to make sure whatever you are saying is the tightest in can possibly be from a "can this be used against us?" standpoint.

Good lawyers are actually pretty cool IMO. I've learned a lot just listening to the GC and AGC's comments on things I submit to them.

Not to discourage anyone clowning on Linus here, but it's pretty normal for a small company (esp. a small creative industry) to not have in-house legal. And yeah, this means all kinds of chaos can ensue, including around building regs and safety. Tiny lil outfits don't always budget for legal, but then as they scale up and they have something like this that should prob go through a lawyer they don't have any room in their management accounts to pay for it. That said tho in my country a small team will still usually have a board providing oversight, and you usually want a board member or two with a legal background so they can take a look at something like this for free. I'm going to hazard a guess here and say the board at LMG is 'The Sebastien Household'

edit: also just to mock Linus further, it might be the case depending on what the law is on stuff like this in canada that the previous owners were legally obligated to strip the place bare, because if they're not in the itinerary you can be like 'you left all these doorknobs and guard rails in the building and that's not what we agreed, so now we're charging you back for the cost of removal'. Either way, it's hilarious.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 6, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He has, or had, at least one person with a law qualification working there, I think Nick. But there’s lots of types of law, and a few types of lawyers. I doubt anyone expected the doorknobs to go.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah the doorknob thing is just the previous leaseholders being classy AF obvs

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

well why not posted:

He has, or had, at least one person with a law qualification working there, I think Nick. But there’s lots of types of law, and a few types of lawyers. I doubt anyone expected the doorknobs to go.

The doorknobs is definitely a wtf moment. And yeah, maybe in-house legal is a bit much, but at the same time, isn't Linus large enough now that that it is probably a smart investment to at least have a budget for "legal review?"

But I'm sure he can find an intern with a few credits of law classes from school he can turn to. When it goes pear-shaped, it'll make a great LegalEagle video.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At the very least, the bigger you are, the bigger a target you are for lawsuits. Probably should be prepared for that

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just imagine Linus' face on the thumbnail when he uploads the "I've been sued" video.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Linus Media Group has to be over 100 employees by now. No excuse to not have counsel at least on retainer from a business firm even if it’s not a full-time hire.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

The Grumbles posted:

Yeah the doorknob thing is just the previous leaseholders being classy AF obvs

Pretty sure with commercial properties the law is the property has to be returned to the owner in roughly the same condition that they received to property in and any "improvements" including fixtures are included in that, or to say, they are not included in that.

So if they leased the building without doorknobs, they are actually fulfilling their legal obligation by removing them.

If I had to guess the building was raw shell space, possibly brand new construction ,when it was leased to the prior tenant, leaving the doorknobs might have actually being violating the terms of the lease.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Pretty sure with commercial properties the law is the property has to be returned to the owner in roughly the same condition that they received to property in and any "improvements" including fixtures are included in that, or to say, they are not included in that.

So if they leased the building without doorknobs, they are actually fulfilling their legal obligation by removing them.

If I had to guess the building was raw shell space, possibly brand new construction ,when it was leased to the prior tenant, leaving the doorknobs might have actually being violating the terms of the lease.

Was going to say something like this before, but I’m not Canadian so no idea how it works there.

I think the biggest thing though, is we’re only hearing one side of it.

Also with the size the LTT group is now, and being that they’re in the business of publicly publishing their sometimes negative opinions about huge companies who love to let the lawyers loose, if they don’t have a legal team on retainer a phone call away to run things by then they’re absolutely crazy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rudager posted:

Also with the size the LTT group is now, and being that they’re in the business of publicly publishing their sometimes negative opinions about huge companies who love to let the lawyers loose, if they don’t have a legal team on retainer a phone call away to run things by then they’re absolutely crazy.

This is the thing for me, I know Youtube reviewers with less than 100k subs who still have a lawyer they can consult if they need to.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
maybe they still have one of those awful e-lawyers back from when handling youtube and twitch was a niche specialty

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kliras posted:

maybe they still have one of those awful e-lawyers back from when handling youtube and twitch was a niche specialty

Please don't impugn the credibility of one Leonard J Crabs, Esq.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Arivia posted:

Linus Media Group has to be over 100 employees by now. No excuse to not have counsel at least on retainer from a business firm even if it’s not a full-time hire.

but im simultaneously a very rich guy and also a poor boy working in my mum's creaky basement

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Palladium posted:

but im simultaneously a very rich guy and also a poor boy working in my mum's creaky basement

I think you've confused Tech Jesus and LTT. Linus has been making epic reno videos about his new mansion for months now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Arivia posted:

I think you've confused Tech Jesus and LTT. Linus has been making epic reno videos about his new mansion for months now.

Linus nickel and dimes his business expenses to the point where he is enraged by having to purchase doorknobs

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think he was more upset by the added time it will take to fix the place up than by the cost, though of course time is money. But he gets content out of it either way.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SlowBloke posted:

If the previous owner didn't include the safety equipment in the sale contract, that's on Linus not reading the fine print. Commercial sales contracts usually include just the building and little else.

It wasn't a contract issue. They just knew they could trash the place and get away with it because Vancouver real estate. They didn't remove the stair railing, they cut it up with a sawzall, destroying it so they could remove the air compressors. It could have just been unbolted but 🤷🏻‍♂️ It wasn't a specialized railing for some equipment, it was for going up and down the stairs.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

mewse posted:

Linus nickel and dimes his business expenses to the point where he is enraged by having to purchase doorknobs

this is insane lol, he wastes money like crazy. it's half of the brand. what do you even mean?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The other half of the brand is him dropping expensive equipment

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

exactly, he wastes money on things that can be turned into content, so it's not really a waste as far as he's concerned

he probably can't turn lack of doorknobs into content

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well, only because the government would get really mad if he did a series of smartifying safety equipment and killed some people

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

repiv posted:

exactly, he wastes money on things that can be turned into content, so it's not really a waste as far as he's concerned

he probably can't turn lack of doorknobs into content

Given how much we're talking about it, "lol this place doesn't have doorknobs wtf" seems like content to me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah but posts on a dead comedy forum aren’t monetisable content.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

It wasn't a contract issue. They just knew they could trash the place and get away with it because Vancouver real estate. They didn't remove the stair railing, they cut it up with a sawzall, destroying it so they could remove the air compressors. It could have just been unbolted but 🤷🏻‍♂️ It wasn't a specialized railing for some equipment, it was for going up and down the stairs.

But the thing is, if they put the railing in, it is theirs to do with as they want, they might even have a legal obligation to remove it.

Commercial real estate does not work like residential, much of it, especially in the business parks like Linus is in is just a concrete and metal shell and the company not only is expected to do all the finish-out, yes, down to doorknobs, but desires to do so. The whole space is designed to be a big empty canvas.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Yep the office we leased for our business was a dentist office. Part of the negotiations were that the landlord would gut it for us and help us turn it into a standard office. It's kinda weird that BusinessMan Linus didn't think to bring that up?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

njsykora posted:

Yeah but posts on a dead comedy forum aren’t monetisable content.

I'd be surprised if we don't see a video that's basically just Linus walking around going "and this is also missing" while making sad noises. It wouldn't be hard to make and they could play it up as "THE LAB IS RUINED" or whatever clickbait title.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Three Olives posted:

But the thing is, if they put the railing in, it is theirs to do with as they want, they might even have a legal obligation to remove it.

or more broadly, if it's a safety mechanism that is designed for whatever they were doing in the space, the new owners keep using it for whatever they're up to and someone litigious gets hurt. that would clearly be LTT's fault, but they absolutely could wind up sucked into a lawsuit around it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Also, this is not just like warehouse commercial property, it's all commercial property. If you are renting office space in a fancy high-rise, chances are it is going to be delivered to you as just raw space, no doors, no walls, just the concrete floor plate on the floor and ceiling and whatever fire equipment they are legally required to have.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Were they really just door knobs? The impression I got was that they removed fancy card/badge reading door handles, not just regular old door knobs. Makes more sense to me that way, at least.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

well why not posted:

this is insane lol, he wastes money like crazy. it's half of the brand. what do you even mean?

I used to work for a company where the owners would pinch pennies on business critical infrastructure and operational expenses, while blowing huge wads of money on superficial bullshit. I don't keep up on LTT but I absolutely 100% believe that a ~~*small business owner*~~ would do that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Does anyone else here follow Dave's Garage? He seems nice enough and gets into interesting and esoteric topics.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Does anyone else here follow Dave's Garage? He seems nice enough and gets into interesting and esoteric topics.

He is aspirational, makes a shitload of money at MS, buys a giant mansion on huge lot and just spends his days loving around with his hobbies instead of being a general malignancy on society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Agreed, Dave’s pretty awesome

It’s hard not to get jealous of both him and CuriousMarc… they both seem to be living their best life.

Very glad they don’t seem to be shitheads