Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Another thing for energy conservation is that popping a portal and then possessing the monster is a lot more energy efficient than making multiple portals in 1v1 situations. Two portals just takes time to burn down since enemies dont press the attack very hard, one portal where one monster is possessed and is just slamming the survivor as hard as they can will do a lot more damage. The only thing is to make sure you don't pop the portal and then possess the dude with 20 energy left because they're just going to collapse in 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Playing this game with randos is impossible lol.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Playing this game with randos is impossible lol.

Funny you say that, I just played my first survivor games in solo queue and won 4 out of 6. Maybe I got extremely lucky but there seem to be at least some baby demons still around who can be beaten without a premade. Or I lucked into multiple three player stacks, hard to say.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Last night I got lucky enough with three other random people that we actually stopped before each objective and traded whatever ammo, health, and shields we needed instead of Kramering in. Voice chat really is necessary.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Are there any cool skills I'm missing for Necro? I gave a quick once over on his tree and mostly seems to be numbers going up for my boys with the exception of that bottom tree button that makes it so people can't heal when I hit them, which is dope as hell

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

So I had a few matches playing Demon and does Demon just outright blow rear end until you decently level one up?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I don't know, I've been levelling up a demon and I feel like I've had at least a fighting chance in all of my matches. I imagine if I went up against a full level 25 survivor squad I might just lose though. :v:

What really helps, IMO, is going after survivors right from the beginning of the match. Survivors never spawn near the demon or the two objectives, so you can usually figure out where they are from the start. If you harass them from the very beginning you usually end up with way more levels by the time they get to one of the objectives.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

There's most counter-intuitive thing to playing demon right is waste as much energy in the early game as possible. Activate every trap. Spawn basic units in the middle of nowhere. You must NEVER be at max energy so that you are always picking up energy.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

And especially trap chests, chests are worth so much more than basic traps.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

So I had a few matches playing Demon and does Demon just outright blow rear end until you decently level one up?

Warlord is workable as early as passive level 2 because you can get talents that let their basic unit's puke disable survivor dodge and sprint for 5 seconds. You can cancel the puke by dodging then get almost guaranteed heavy attacks in. This is devastating if you possessed an axe wielding basic (which your portals are guaranteed to spawn at basic portal level 5).

As soon as you get into the game you should look at your map and see if you can figure out where a survivor might have spawned based on the fact they will not spawn near you, near the pages, or near the dagger. Plot a point on the map accordingly then start working your way toward it, eating as many orbs as possible. Take time to set traps, especially box traps because they are worth a ton of xp early game. Boxes make an EXTREMELY LOUD AND DISTINCT noise you can use to find them quickly without taking a lot of time to search an area. As for which box trap to use, Mini Ashes will make the survivor that opens the box lose a consumable. Hand does more damage and fear. I usually use Mini Ashes but knowledgeable players will actually drop their stuff before they open a box so if it's a good team I may go back to using Hand traps.

Right now you are not setting traps assuming survivors are going to activate them, this is just to get xp until you get level 3. Once you hit level 3 and are able to drop basic portals, you can spend portals while simultaneously looking for survivors to keep yourself generating xp. Keep eating orbs like you're pac man, they add up to a lot of xp while you're searching for survivors. Hop into a car if you have to to burn energy so you can keep eating orbs.

Once you've found a survivor, trap the area if you think they'll hit them, spawn a basic portal, possess, then run up to them and start hitting them. Once they start hitting back you can vomit on them to interrupt their attacks, it forces them into an "EWW IM GETTING VOMITED ON" animation. Press dodge to cancel your vomit, then start hitting them with heavies. If they're a squishy class like a support you might even take them down. For classes like hunters I will either vomit immediately to stop them from dodging, or keep sprinting into them instead of attacking until I think I've baited out all of their dodges. Keep up the basic possession pressure and most teams will be unable to handle it. Any time you can successfully damage the survivors will result in you getting a lot of xp. If you manage to get one of them down, it is tons of xp and you will start getting too big for the survivors to handle. It is key to start smacking the survivors as soon as possible to stay ahead of the power curve.

Here's a video of a 2 passive point Warlord game that a #Warlord channel poster in the Evil Dead discord posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIMOPgZJPw0

Warlord basic pressure only gets more insane as you invest more passive tree points into them.

e: I will say the player in the video I posted is still level 45 which makes the Warlord's aura extremely good. When you are at level 45 the aura prevents your AI units from getting balance broken, which means survivors fighting mobs in your aura cannot take advantage of execution invincibility.

They also catch the survivors when they're split up. If you go up against a high level coordinated survivor team, you're probably gonna lose if you're underlevelled. Seeing a competent survivor team is extremely rare in my experience playing Warlord.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 2, 2022

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Arzaac posted:

And especially trap chests, chests are worth so much more than basic traps.

Yeah, and do NOT stop and think about whether anyone is likely to ever trigger the trap. gently caress that noise. ABS, Always Be Spending. Once you find the survivors you can worry more about what you spend on, but until then just burn energy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
e: removed

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 7, 2022

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Had like five games getting stomped as Evil Ash, switched over to my level 2 Henrietta and pulled a win off with 16 seconds left on the timer. I thought it was a total wash, they went all Stealthy Magoo in the beginning and I couldn't even find them until a full loop of the map. Then they got weirdly hung up raiding for items instead of rushing for the Book, I was able to beat them up a little in one of the houses, enough to get points to drop into Boss Portal. Turns out even a low level Henrietta is pretty drat mean when she's bulked up in Portal points, smacked them all dead at the Book. Barely

You definitely want to seek out all the upgrade chests and trap them. Nothing says love like a survivor going for a level up and losing their items to Mini Ash

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 2, 2022

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna keep at it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Don't spend points on Demon Vision. Pick either Basic or Elite to upgrade (5 in one is way better than 2 in one and 3 in the other, for example).

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

rydiafan posted:

Don't spend points on Demon Vision. Pick either Basic or Elite to upgrade (5 in one is way better than 2 in one and 3 in the other, for example).

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try to get some wins going by buffing basic units both ingame and with the meta leveling and just possessing those until I can branch out a little more.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Here's my Puppeteer strategy that I've got working well enough it should still kick rear end at lower levels:

First off, find the survivors. Everything, EVERYTHING, is based around finding the survivors as quickly as possible. As I cruise around the map, only two things will get me to stop - first is trapping chests that are easy to spot, and second is finding an area with a map piece. Trap the chest and move on (with mini-ashes) or if its a map piece trap the heck out of the area to make sure you get notified as soon as they enter it from any direction. Then move on, as quickly as possible.

In each zone you visit, you might maybe choose to take the time to place a single notifier trap in a high traffic area just in case they slip by you. I haven't been bothering lately though, usually it just makes me lose too much time.

If I get levels before finding survivors, I usually drop them in demon vision for the off chance it lets me find them a little faster.

Once you find the survivors, get them with a trap and immediately possess the basic unit it spawns with your special possess skill, and deal some damage. Continue harassing them in this way until you get enough energy for Elite portals. Now you can summon elites! Why are puppeteer elites good? Let me count the ways:
1) You can hit entire groups of enemies at the same time, allowing you to rack up experience even if they immediately take you out.
2) You can multiply your offensive power if the enemy doesn't keep pressure on you.
3) You can stand outside a house and safely blast whoever is inside without them retaliating.

Then harass the hell out of the survivors. When you run out of energy, which you will constantly, look for it wherever they are going to be next, with the goal of by happenstance stumbling across chests before they do so you can trap them and rob the survivors of their good items and levels.

At this point I mostly start dropping levels into possession and elite summons, with maybe a point or two into energy or traps, until BOSS becomes available.

Now you're really able to lay on the damage. Play conservatively, though - again, harassment is the name of the game. The boss is fragile when attacking but nearly invulnerable otherwise, it's often a good idea to just hang around pressuring survivors without attacking until you can zap them, then doing so and retreating again. If your energy starts getting low you can play more aggressively since you're gonna die soon anyway, and if you find an isolated survivor definitely push your advantage and make use of the grab (which is otherwise too dangerous to use to start). If their hunter gets a good gun, prioritize him for possession and pop some heads once in a while, too.

Keep dropping points into your elites (which will be your unit of choice while the boss is on cooldown) and on the boss and possession until all three skills are maxxed out, which honestly shouldn't take all that long! At that point, if the survivors are somehow still doing well, again, your goal is to harass, harass, harass. Make them use those consumables, attack them constantly especially in the empty areas between points of interest where some of them will usually not realize what is happening and run on ahead, giving you more opportunities to deal damage. Your goal is to keep their consumables low and deal enough chip damage that even if they do make it to the final fight they'll be in rough shape, and then you can finish them off with the boss..

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 2, 2022

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

my friends and I have been having a terrible time with matchmaking as survivors on Playstation the last couple of nights. 75% of the matches we get into just hang at the loading screen for like three full minutes before kicking everyone out to the title screen. whenever it fails to start a match when playing as a demon, it bombs out immediately and I can requeue no problem, but this is a huge pain in the rear end

when this happened last week, turning off crossplay made a difference...now we can only get matches to load *at all* if crossplay is on

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try to get some wins going by buffing basic units both ingame and with the meta leveling and just possessing those until I can branch out a little more.

Yeah I can't speak to the other demons but for Warlord elites are just not worth it. They are easy to dodge, more expensive to summon, and survivors can just run away from them. They're not even THAT much tankier since they're huge targets and easy to headshot. Likewise you shouldn't be putting all of your eggs into the boss basket as that has a really long cooldown and they can also just walk away from it unless there is something keeping them in the area like an objective circle or a downed survivor. That leaves you with basics, which are available for the entire game, cheap to summon, cheap to possess, available for FREE when the game naturally spawns them, and they come out of every trap with no investment. They're low risk high reward compared to everything else.

I don't usually like to possess players either because it only takes a few shots to get knocked out of them and then you just spent all of your energy for little gain compared to producing and possessing basics.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Diephoon posted:

Yeah I can't speak to the other demons but for Warlord elites are just not worth it.

I feel like, in general, Warlord prefers basics, Puppeteer prefers elites, and Necromancer can do either (although I personally prefer basics).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Possessing can be super powerful if you nab someone with a gun and start nailing a survivor in no position to hit you back, but that just seems up to the luck of who's gotten sloppy with their fear meter. Although just making someone waste most of their ammo is probably worth the energy tradeoff.

I wish the car possessions lasted longer honestly, there's potential for some hilarity there but it just doesn't last long enough for what it costs

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 2, 2022

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Diephoon posted:

Yeah I can't speak to the other demons but for Warlord elites are just not worth it. They are easy to dodge, more expensive to summon, and survivors can just run away from them. They're not even THAT much tankier since they're huge targets and easy to headshot. Likewise you shouldn't be putting all of your eggs into the boss basket as that has a really long cooldown and they can also just walk away from it unless there is something keeping them in the area like an objective circle or a downed survivor. That leaves you with basics, which are available for the entire game, cheap to summon, cheap to possess, available for FREE when the game naturally spawns them, and they come out of every trap with no investment. They're low risk high reward compared to everything else.

I don't usually like to possess players either because it only takes a few shots to get knocked out of them and then you just spent all of your energy for little gain compared to producing and possessing basics.

I tend to get a point in elites pretty early on anyway, because really, what else am I gonna go when I'm at the objective with all my other cooldowns ticking and 200+ energy? They're definitely lower priority than most other things though.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Arzaac posted:

I tend to get a point in elites pretty early on anyway, because really, what else am I gonna go when I'm at the objective with all my other cooldowns ticking and 200+ energy? They're definitely lower priority than most other things though.

Most of my Warlord games end before objective phase. If I do think they're actually going to start an objective I'll start putting points in boss. The only thing that I prioritize upgrading less than elites is Demon Vision, and I will stop upgrading traps at level 2 so I get more basics instead of elites. Pretty much all I use elites for is a momentary distraction when everything else is on cooldown.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 2, 2022

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm still pretty low level so most of my games tend to end on Dark Ones. I whittle them down until I'm at near max level and they're low on resources, then they finally crumple.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Car possession is so horribly underpowered because even at full energy you last all of two seconds because the survivors can just attack you to kick you out.

How it SHOULD work is that you barely take any damage from attacks, and instead of getting kicked out of the car any survivors in at the time get locked inside. Time to go for a riiiide!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Possessed cars don't even seem to really do much (any?) damage to survivors so that whole mechanic just seems geared towards being a dick.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

GlyphGryph posted:

Car possession is so horribly underpowered because even at full energy you last all of two seconds because the survivors can just attack you to kick you out.

How it SHOULD work is that you barely take any damage from attacks, and instead of getting kicked out of the car any survivors in at the time get locked inside. Time to go for a riiiide!
Car possession really needs a full revamp since as it is, survivors on the ball will actually waste more of your time than you will of theirs between you bwooping into it, them blinking out and slapping it once to get rid of you, you getting kicked back out and reorienting yourself (now down 100+ energy). I understand the intent behind it not completely screwing the survivors as much as it could (running them over to do a ton of damage, taking them far away from objectives, etc.) but at the same time: It costs so much, to do so little.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Like the one good thing car possession is for, and it takes the stars aligning just right, is stranding a group of survivors in the woods on the way to the next objective. The car moves faster than you, so about the only times you can possess a car seem to be as the survivors first get into one, or as they're already getting out.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
The best use of a car for a demon right now is to park it on top of someone you just downed and start honking so they're forced to listen to it.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

It looks like they changed it so if the survivors start both objectives at once, you don't get punted when the first one finishes if you aren't near it.

Unfortunately I learned this in a match where it didn't matter anyway because all four of the survivors were instantly cluster-headshotting whatever I attempted to posses and then cycled through every other deadite in sequence.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It really is rough going until you get higher level as demon huh? I had only won one game as a warlord until today when I hit 25 and now that I have health/endurance bar upgrades things are slightly better and I’ve managed to win a few games! It’s still really hard to get anything done when the survivors are all grouped up together and I never see that happen when I’m playing as them :(

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Shame Boy posted:

It really is rough going until you get higher level as demon huh? I had only won one game as a warlord until today when I hit 25 and now that I have health/endurance bar upgrades things are slightly better and I’ve managed to win a few games! It’s still really hard to get anything done when the survivors are all grouped up together and I never see that happen when I’m playing as them :(

Some other people have said it, but the earlier you find the survivors the better. There's a video on YT where a dude talks about the spawn logic of the survivors. They never spawn near either of the blue objectives, nor near where the demon spawns, so this generally leaves about half the map as a likely place for you to zoom around.

Even if they're grouped up, once you find them you can really gently caress them up by popping your basic units inside buildings where it's hard for them to dodge or maneuver. The only thing that matters is possessing a unit and at least doing some damage for XP.

I've found that's really all it takes, most groups can't withlast the harrasment if you find them super early, even if they're killing your stuff quickly as a group, just three hits (especially with upgraded basics) can be an amulet or a Shemp's.

If I find the survivors within the first two minutes I almost always win. I've also found that if they're getting harassed nonstop they tend to lose group cohesion because non pre-mades will inevitably leave the dude getting smacked behind since they're almost always trying to mindlessly sprint to the next destination, even the slightest bit of distance between them like that can be huge.

Also don't sleep on the damage that's done to survivors after possession wears off, if you're playing Puppeteer and constantly possessing players, the combination of the attack damage you're doing and the possession damage ends up tearing through their resources fast.

I started winning consistently once I realized that finding them early is the single most important thing. In fact it's so busted that when I'm playing survivor with randos I almost always lose if the demon finds us early. The snowball from even basic possessed attacks is stupid, and if you manage to down someone, that's pretty much game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I wish I could find survivors early. The ones I get seemingly never make noise notifications until they have all the pages (meaning they aren't running, driving or setting off traps, yet still going exactly where they need to be and never splitting up)

Of course it's also one of those games where if I'm playing Survivor I get the village idiots and everyone is making noise :v:

I will say it's not that hard to rampage all over the teams that aren't playing like picture perfect robbits though. As was mentioned, if you can get far enough along to throw portals around and then catch people in a house or something where they can't all instantly save each other's rear end you'll probably drop someone, and that's generally enough points to snowball things

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 4, 2022

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

I started winning consistently once I realized that finding them early is the single most important thing. In fact it's so busted that when I'm playing survivor with randos I almost always lose if the demon finds us early. The snowball from even basic possessed attacks is stupid, and if you manage to down someone, that's pretty much game.

Right, the flip side of this is if you are found early game by the demon, just run instead of fighting because fighting gives the demon xp. Survivors get level ups from boxes, not fighting.

Window loop the possessed basic like it's Dead by Daylight, run to a car and start driving away so they have to leave their basic and waste time chasing you or going elsewhere to find another survivor to get xp from. Even if the demon manages to possess your car that costs them 100 energy, that's a huge amount of energy early game. You can probably just shoot them out of the car right after they possess or just go hop into a new one, cars are everywhere.

I haven't actually done this or experienced it much, I just had one game with one w-Ash that purposely baited me so he could do this and it was pretty effective. Eventually I decided to go find the rest of his team and get xp from them instead, they did what almost everyone does, constantly take losing trades until I'm too strong for them to handle.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 4, 2022

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DeathChicken posted:

I wish I could find survivors early. The ones I get seemingly never make noise notifications until they have all the pages (meaning they aren't running, driving or setting off traps, yet still going exactly where they need to be and never splitting up)

Of course it's also one of those games where if I'm playing Survivor I get the village idiots and everyone is making noise :v:

This helped me a lot in figuring out how to find them consistently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-KwXWPG_1w

You can't really hope that they'll make noise, competent players never will - the best thing to do is to immediately look at the map and figure out a loose path you can take to cover the ground where they could potentially be, since there are areas where they absolutely cannot spawn, it narrows it down quite a bit.
While you're following that path, listen for the sounds of chests and trap them with Mini Ashes for huge amounts of XP while also making unit traps as you're flying around, but don't really stop to heavily trap an area unless you already know the survivors are making their way there.

Sometimes you find them in three minutes, sometimes it takes a little longer than that, but if you keep in mind the spawn logic, you can usually find them before they get all the pages at least and that's when the players are at their most vulnerable since they tend to split up to search houses more efficiently and get resources first. Most pubbies are pretty selfish and won't travel with the support and point out all the amulets/Shemps for them so it's really easy to take advantage of their greed and gonk the support while they're in a house looking for stuff.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Another #Warlord poster posted these screenshots in discord. Apparently when you play Puppeteer and possess an elite you can keep spamming their split ability with no limit.

He said it's not super effective because if the survivors aggro them then run they will just despawn, but it looks like a really funny build for a lark or to BM the last survivor if that's your thing.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 4, 2022

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Yay matchmaking is fixed
https://twitter.com/FlyboyVideo/status/1533254596843474951

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Definitely hitting more of a groove as killer. Maining Henrietta, put all my points into vomit upgrades and spitting out basic portals faster. This probably won't kill anyone outright, but annoying the other side enough to bulk Boss Portals up all the way is almost always enough to win. If you can get anyone isolated at all with Henrietta (and they aren't smart enough to just run the gently caress away from you) they are dead, and then all those basic portals are enough to properly camp a corpse.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I feel like a dumbass. I didn't know that spirit points, i.e. those points at the top of the screen, were what you primarily used to level up your character, and that you can spread them around to any character you want. For some reason I thought that you just leveled individual characters after each game, one point at a time.

It didn't even occur to me to spend spirit points until I was streaming on Discord for a friend, and he asked me what "spending spirit points" meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

This is a good video explainer of the math that goes into calculating damage across each class...there's a *lot* going on that I hadn't considered until now, especially the inherent debuffs for some classes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDp1utAeGaE