Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Think I'll go for Fuse. I normally only as Loba but doing challenges the last few days has given me greater appreciation for other characters.

Ninja edit, I'm torn between Fuse and Newcastle :bang:

Accidentally unlocked Newcastle. I thought it would give you a confirmation dialogue. Lols.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

Maggie sucks, sorry Maggie lovers.

I just unlocked her too. :(

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Maggie is maybe OK for Arenas, but I cannot see a good use-case for her otherwise. I haven't even noticed the "1 second see behind walls after damaging the enemy" passive working in BR at all, and I don't know what they were thinking with that wrecking ball ultimate or how that could be salvaged.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Maggie's highlight on damage works well as someone who frequently loses track of enemies right in front of my face :v:

But from that list if you're looking to play ranked: Horizon's kinda strong in general, Crypto and Rampart are strong for the rat meta.

If you're looking to just gently caress around and have fun: Fuse and always Fuse and never stop grenading

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

I love Maggie! She's incredibly good for an aggressive playstyle. Riot drill them out of cover, toss your ult, and sprint over with a shotgun because you move just as fast as if your weapons were holstered. Her movespeed buff applies to ADS too so you can still pull off some jukes while aiming. The damage marker is only a brief flash but it's helped me stay on my target plenty of times when they try to duck around cover. On top of that, if you have the mastiff you basically just win.

I'm not a great player, I only hit level 100 last night, but for someone like me who hates sitting around trading shots, Maggie just totally clicks.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
The shotgun passive is only really noticeable when ADSing and doesn't affect Mozabiques (honourary pistol), or EVA (terrible). So you better be a good with the PK or get lucky and find a Mastiff (in which case you have won the game already).

The 1 second marking is useful when your opponent continues to cover strafe letting you safely and more accurately prefire.

Tactical is weirdly good. The amount of times you can turn "They Have Some Cover" into 2 kills is a lot more than you could ever hope for.

Wrecking ball is a bunker buster in a game that doesn't promote bunkering or have a lot of suitably busterable bunkers available. Bad, weird, but fun. The boost pads are funny and good despite feeling useless most of the time.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Maggie's Highlight passive is useful for counter-sniping opponents, less so for having synergy with the rest of her kit.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

life_source posted:

The shotgun passive is only really noticeable when ADSing and doesn't affect Mozabiques (honourary pistol), or EVA (terrible). So you better be a good with the PK or get lucky and find a Mastiff (in which case you have won the game already).

Are you sure about the Mozambique? Its ADS movement speed is absolutely insane since it has pistol speed as base but you still get Maggie's shotgun movement boost on top. Unless they nerfed that and I missed it? Don't play her a lot.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Keito posted:

Are you sure about the Mozambique? Its ADS movement speed is absolutely insane since it has pistol speed as base but you still get Maggie's shotgun movement boost on top. Unless they nerfed that and I missed it? Don't play her a lot.

That is true, yeah.

Normal pistol ADS speed is 173, and PK/EVA/Mastiff speed is 156.

With Maggie it's 199 on the Mozam and 179 on the other shotguns.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I could be wrong. I assumed and it felt like the shotgun passive just gave them a flat ADS 0% penalty. If it's better than what I thought great!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Newcastle is pretty decent. Won a Ranked BR match with him earlier and his Tactical was pretty pivotal in being able to move from where we were pinned down to the last remaining squad. He's fun!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I recommend Horizon for new players' first purchase.

One of the best Qs in the game that gives you crazy mobility and escape, ult that can be used offensively and defensively and can be a game changer if you hit it right, and the passive lets you get around the map so quickly.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

life_source posted:

The 1 second marking is useful when your opponent continues to cover strafe letting you safely and more accurately prefire.

Tactical is weirdly good. The amount of times you can turn "They Have Some Cover" into 2 kills is a lot more than you could ever hope for.

Wrecking ball is a bunker buster in a game that doesn't promote bunkering or have a lot of suitably busterable bunkers available. Bad, weird, but fun. The boost pads are funny and good despite feeling useless most of the time.

If you've never wrecking ball bunkered a squad, boost padded in, knocked two with peacekeeper, got knocked and then used your own boost pads to corpse crawl back to your team, you're missing out.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I don’t see a lot of bunkering, period.

You could take her for the final circle, but you could also take a bunch of grenades and a better character. Like Caustic, who lets you bunker and has a good anti-bunker ult.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
I have to say, I wasn't sure how to engage with a lot of posts about fragment since I play almost exclusively ranked.

I've been doing a lot of unranked to just get some battle pass challenges knocked out, and holy poo poo. Is this actually fun for the Apex community? To have half the server drop in fragment and just a constant buzz saw of combat? I feel like its not even who is best at the game, but rather who wins the RNG of landing near a gun first. You can go through like 6 unranked games in the time it takes to do one ranked one simply because almost everyone hot drops immediately and quits as soon as they are downed. Even if you win the initial fragment blood bath, the entire rest of the server has had time to loot up and head your way which means you're going to inevitably be 3rd 4th and 5th partied as soon as you come up for air.

I don't think I've had an unranked game go beyond the 3rd ring in the last week since everyone but maybe 4 squads is dead by ring 2. Its insane. And not particularly fun.

Also what is with folks leaving as soon as they are downed? They really should put some kind of penalty or some way to encourage folks to stay in the game for at least some kind of minimum time. Folks will drop, push a team, maybe get a knock, team catches up to help them out, they die, and immediately leave, screwing the team over for trying to help them. That isn't fun either.

Might as well start a game mode called Arcade for that style, and as soon as you die you can elect to board a drop ship for another game immediately to requeue. Its frustrating to have the only "real" battle royale mode be ranked because every other mode is just deathmatch.

Ninja edit: Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with wanting to play deathmatch type play. That can be fun for sure and sometimes you're in the mood for it. Still, it kinda ruins it for everyone by having fickle team mates that quit with no recourse.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
everybody wants to live the aceu / Timmy dream of not only winning the initial hot drop but also successfully fending off the fifth party

edit: adding tdm / control modes with respawns won't help this mentality, because having permadeath is part of the appeal

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
It's fun, sorry you don't like it

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Javik the Seer posted:

I have to say, I wasn't sure how to engage with a lot of posts about fragment since I play almost exclusively ranked.

I've been doing a lot of unranked to just get some battle pass challenges knocked out, and holy poo poo. Is this actually fun for the Apex community? To have half the server drop in fragment and just a constant buzz saw of combat? I feel like its not even who is best at the game, but rather who wins the RNG of landing near a gun first. You can go through like 6 unranked games in the time it takes to do one ranked one simply because almost everyone hot drops immediately and quits as soon as they are downed. Even if you win the initial fragment blood bath, the entire rest of the server has had time to loot up and head your way which means you're going to inevitably be 3rd 4th and 5th partied as soon as you come up for air.

I don't think I've had an unranked game go beyond the 3rd ring in the last week since everyone but maybe 4 squads is dead by ring 2. Its insane. And not particularly fun.

Also what is with folks leaving as soon as they are downed? They really should put some kind of penalty or some way to encourage folks to stay in the game for at least some kind of minimum time. Folks will drop, push a team, maybe get a knock, team catches up to help them out, they die, and immediately leave, screwing the team over for trying to help them. That isn't fun either.

Might as well start a game mode called Arcade for that style, and as soon as you die you can elect to board a drop ship for another game immediately to requeue. Its frustrating to have the only "real" battle royale mode be ranked because every other mode is just deathmatch.

Ninja edit: Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with wanting to play deathmatch type play. That can be fun for sure and sometimes you're in the mood for it. Still, it kinda ruins it for everyone by having fickle team mates that quit with no recourse.

I took a year off the game and a *small* part of me is laughing that this is still the way it goes. War never changes.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Fragment is especially bad right now, I think because of the ranked changes. I like World’s Edge but it’s completely unplayable right now. I counted 30 some death boxes in Fragment as Ash a couple days ago.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Javik the Seer posted:

I've been doing a lot of unranked to just get some battle pass challenges knocked out, and holy poo poo. Is this actually fun for the Apex community?

This is what happens when there's no new Titanfall, yeah.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Never did understand dropping where half the server does the ideal is a good loot area with another squad or two. Not like this is an Apex only thing the same thing happened with school or military base on one map and hotel on another in PUBG.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Respawn should make an unannounced change randomly mid season where fragment doesn't spawn any guns or nades. Just half the server running around in a panic trying to survive being punched to death with 4 white stocks and a blue mag

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If you play unranked with a pre-made full group you get put into a different queue of other pre-made squads and people take it a little bit more seriously, but a lot still drop in one spot for the punch-a-thon. Maybe people stopped doing that in ranked at least because they get de-leveled now?

Also World's Edge is a bad map and no one wants to sprint across the giant wasteland with no cars, trains, jump pads, etc. and the jump towers are too few even then.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 8, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tweak posted:

Respawn should make an unannounced change randomly mid season where fragment doesn't spawn any guns or nades. Just half the server running around in a panic trying to survive being punched to death with 4 white stocks and a blue mag

They tried a lite version of that by downgrading fragment from high to mid tier loot, but it didn't discourage people from dropping there even though it's even more RNG whether you find a gun now

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why didn't they put the train back on Edge? It was so cool.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
I think the ranked changes will likely stop that from happening on Worlds Edge since you can be deranked now.

Its actually almost too far the other way in ranked. Several times I've been in the 4th and then final ring and there will still be 7 squads all playing different versions of Metal Gear Solid to avoid any kind of engagement since the first engagement generally means first to lose. And with the changes putting emphasis on placement, it gets more intense as the game winds down.

I think folks will be almost afraid of fragment in ranked because they don't want to pay for a ranked game and be out within 20 seconds, erasing any positives they may have had earlier.

Also yeah bring back the train!

Or even better, revamp the map with more tracks with some of them going through fragment and different areas with multiple and faster trains. Chaos mode would rule in that boring rear end map.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah the train is a good idea but as it was implemented it didn't have much impact beyond being a hotdrop spot for the guaranteed rare loot spawns

Increasing the speed of the trains and having multiple going in different directions would make them more useful

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
on an aside, ever since the frag east loot nerf I've noticed construction site becoming much more popular for hot drops, even though there's even worse loot and less geometry for 1v1s

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

having had a think about it, Fragment isn't so much a problem as it is a symptom. A lot of long time Apex players as a whole in unranked just immediately drop on the closest generally accepted fun zone to the dropship path, regardless of map. Fragment is just the extreme example of that, helped along by streamers dropping streamer building or predstruction to make use of those sweet zipline tricks.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

repiv posted:

Increasing the speed of the trains and having multiple going in different directions would make them more useful

it's way too easy to separate teams with it, i think was the core design problem (and it being too small). imo that map used to be better when at least some of the hotdropping idiots were forced into the wider map.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I drop fragment because if I don't then I get to wander around a giant empty map to maybe see one other squad.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

dragon enthusiast posted:

on an aside, ever since the frag east loot nerf I've noticed construction site becoming much more popular for hot drops, even though there's even worse loot and less geometry for 1v1s

it's considered better for solo players because the zipline plays are better and you have more escape routes down the sides than in streamer building.

And the loot doesn't matter so much if people will just bring more to you.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
I drop fragment in some normals because I want a 20 skull badge. It's unlikely I get it, but that's better odds than '0', which is the outcome wherever I drop in storm point, because I will never see 20 people in a game.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah if you just wanna frag - this has been true since s0 with skulltown and there has been no real solution to it other than what they did to skulltown.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
In other words bring back Skull Town

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

In other words make Control permanent

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Javik the Seer posted:

I think the ranked changes will likely stop that from happening on Worlds Edge since you can be deranked now.

That’s a feature not a bug for hot droppers. They can get a ton of kills and if they die before finishing like 6th they don’t have to rank up and play against good players.

They’ll hot drop, wipe three gold squads and die to a fourth party and lose RP.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I have not seen massive drops on frag east in ranked for a few months. it's such poo poo loot now

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
the thing that confuses me whenever this comes up is, are you guys not getting jumpmaster like 75% of the time? I pretty much always get it or get passed it and drop countdown or wherever. Just make sure a couple squads are heading in that direction and go kill them, then rotate into fragment or kill the people rotating out. The other 25% just drop fragment, its fun too.

the only drop I really hate rn is the construction building that was just mentioned because it seems like 4 squads are dropping there every game now and its terrible unless you win the RNG mini game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Probably 25% of the time or less, I'm alt tabbed from the moment I hit ready until hopefully when I hear that someone else has launched us or seconds before the ground