Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1524419059042820097?s=20&t=1Ii7nF6mOwsiZq-l4XPBfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Ganso Bomb posted:

That's the only other comparison I could think of and it feels like cheating because it has the same common denominator. The Nasty Boys even showed up again, didn't they?
I know it's the WCW thread but here's the Nasty Boys's record in TNA:

1. Nasty Boys d. Eric Young & Kevin Nash (proving Eric Young is a 'weak link')
2. Nasty Boys d. Team 3D thanks to a re-debuting Jimmy Hart interfering
3. Team 3D d. the Nasty Boys in a table match when Jesse Neal comes in to beat up Jimmy Hart for trying to interfere
4. Nasty Boys & Jimmy Hart d. Team 3-D and a re-debuting Spike Dudley because Hart hit Bully with his motorcycle helmet again

And then that's it! They got fired, allegedly for being drunk assholes in front of Spike execs.

They still had more matches than Val Venis/Sean Morley in the same period, who came in, beat Christopher Daniels clean, loses to Desmond Wolfe/Nigel McGuinness, then Bischof books him in a hardcore/no DQ match against Jeff Jarrett that starts when Morley attacks JJ in a public bathroom and pins him in a public bathroom. Sean Morley is never seen again in TNA.

Orlando Jordan was another inexplicable Hulk Hogan crony who came in and beat D'Angelo Dinero, Jay Lethal, and Samoa Joe, and Homicide in his first couple of months in the company, but he stuck around for a full year and went on go over the Young Bucks repeatedly before disappearing in the summer of 2011.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Is the Eric Young weak link thing during that time TNA were trying to do the Daniel Bryan story with Eric Young?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Seams posted:

Is the Eric Young weak link thing during that time TNA were trying to do the Daniel Bryan story with Eric Young?
Daniel Bryan was about to debut on NXT Season 1 when that match took place. This was a continuation of a storyline where:

1) Eric Young spent much of 2009 being a "mentally challenged superhero", but stopped doing that to join TNA Frontline, who were homegrown TNA stars trying to stop the Main Event Mafia. They did not stop the Main Event Mafia.
2) Then Eric Young turned heel against the TNA Frontline because they never believed in him when he was dressing up in a bad superhero costume and afraid of his own pyro and formed THE WORLD ELITE, which was similar to and just as good as WWE's League of Nations a few years later. Kevin Nash joined the World Elite after the Main Event Mafia imploded, reasoning that a group of evil foreigners should have an American as part of their coalition.
3) The World Elite mostly disappeared, and Nash turned babyface because he didn't trust Hogan and Bischoff. Eric Young stood beside Kevin Nash in not wanting Hogan and Bischoff's "Band" to get back together. He was still unsure of himself because of years of being booked as someone who is mentally challenged and loses a lot, but Kevin Nash had his back even when he loses to the Nasty Boys or other members of The Band.
4) Within a month, Kevin Nash turned on Eric Young because he was part of the Band all along!
5) But wait, Eric Young turns heel because HE was also part of the Band all along! Nash/Hall/Young were tag champions under Freebird rules until Hall got fired, and then Eric Young went back to playing a "mentally challenged" babyface who was tagging with Orlando Jordan because he was too dumb to realize Orlando Jordan wanted to gently caress him.

Then there was another three years of storylines roughly equivalent to the ones above before they did the Knock Off Daniel Bryan story.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

Has there ever been such a marked difference in a wrestling company as when Hogan first came to WCW? I'm rewatching a bunch of stuff from 1994 and it's just insane looking back at it and seeing how many Friends of Hogan just pop up and are all over the place. Duggan. Honky Tonk Man. Earthquake. Brutus. Nasty Boys (I guess they technically beat him there by a few months). Jimmy Hart. Mean Gene (also showed up a little before Hogan and did kick rear end, so this one I can forgive).

At Halloween Havoc 94, Hogan beats Flair in an overbooked cage match and then gets attacked by Brutus and Quake and it's just the blandest of bland poo poo. I wasn't a WCW kid at the time because we didn't get any of the WCW channels, but it must have been infuriating to see Hogan come in and watch everything just change and become total trash.

For whatever reason Duggan in particular pisses me off in general and during this period. The guy isn't willing to really put anyone over or even make them look good.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Y'know, watching Nitros in sequence doesn't really make them make more sense than when you watch random episodes from different years.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Especially when they’d do things like run an Ernest Miller/Norman Smiley feud at least twice.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/ObserverQuotes/status/1531816778459930624

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ObserverQuotes/status/1531454389851983873?s=20&t=XmqPMiLjXZH3nmSrsPLoHw

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/ObserverQuotes/status/1531499688884523009

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

True facts stated, Kaz Hayashi is good

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

forkboy84 posted:

True facts stated, Kaz Hayashi is good

https://twitter.com/ObserverQuotes/status/1531318494716895233?t=Rlnb8VJ2aGEZwOet1pWLWw&s=19

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Looking at that twitter account is how I just now learned about the Mass Transit incident.

Feel the same as when I first saw video of the Clint Malarchuk accident.

gently caress...

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Back when I had a Twitter, Meltzer in the 90s was a ray of sunshine.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I cannot for the life of me find it but there was a Luger/Sting match Bryan and Vinny loved. It must have been 99 at the earliest but it involved the two of them fighting all over like on a beach and throwing food at each other and poo poo.

Does anybody know when it was?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

I cannot for the life of me find it but there was a Luger/Sting match Bryan and Vinny loved. It must have been 99 at the earliest but it involved the two of them fighting all over like on a beach and throwing food at each other and poo poo.

Does anybody know when it was?

Sting and Vampiro vs Team Package from Spring Breakout 2000

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Thank you, going to look that up right now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

if thats the same one I'm thinking of it ends with Sting giving Luger a piledriver in the Gulf of Mexico so yeah that's a great match

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

kalensc posted:

Looking at that twitter account is how I just now learned about the Mass Transit incident.

Feel the same as when I first saw video of the Clint Malarchuk accident.

gently caress...

I'm not exactly squeamish but I cringe every time I think of that Malarchuk video.

Absolutely horrifying.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TheKingslayer posted:

For whatever reason Duggan in particular pisses me off in general and during this period. The guy isn't willing to really put anyone over or even make them look good.

I could never figure out how Duggan could hold that kind of sway anywhere at any time. He was a glorified comedy midcarder nobody gave a poo poo about.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ChrisBTY posted:

I could never figure out how Duggan could hold that kind of sway anywhere at any time. He was a glorified comedy midcarder nobody gave a poo poo about.

He was Hulk Hogan's friend, so nothing else really mattered.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
US crowds also love chanting “USA!” for literally any reason at all so that helps.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Pope Corky the IX posted:

US crowds also love chanting “USA!” for literally any reason at all so that helps.

That's why you gotta put him in Team Canada for the heat bro.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I meant that to explain how he was perpetually over, which is another reason he was able to get away with stuff like every match ending in a DQ or brawl to the back. I think he jobbed on PPV twice in his entire WWF career.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
lol I'd forgotten about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1xUeJnsQZY

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I know Duggan jobbed to Ted Dibiase at Wrestlemania 4 and to Bam Bam Bigelow at King of the Ring, but yeah I think that was seriously it for his PPV jobs. He had the one other loss to Yokuzuna on Raw, which was really notable because Duggan never got his rear end kicked like that

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I meant that to explain how he was perpetually over, which is another reason he was able to get away with stuff like every match ending in a DQ or brawl to the back. I think he jobbed on PPV twice in his entire WWF career.

if i'm not mistaken the only time goldberg ever got over as a heel was beating up duggan

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

I know, I just think it's funny that WCW even managed to strip away the one thing he still had going for him at that point.

Although people have said that they were trying to book him terribly so he would quit.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ChrisBTY posted:

I will agree he was a glorified comedy midcarder. But to say that nobody gave a poo poo about him is untrue.

He was insanely over. Crowds loved him. He would make his stupid face, wave his bit of wood, chant "USA" and everybody loved him.

If you ask me, he was mostly used well. Have him come out, make his stupid face, do his chant, beat some jobber in a minute or two, and then he fucks off, leaving the crowd happy. It was when they put him in extended angles, or storylines that it all fell apart. Remember when he joined Team Canada?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Did WCW turn Duggan heel after he returned after beating cancer or is that something I made up in my head?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Seams posted:

Did WCW turn Duggan heel after he returned after beating cancer or is that something I made up in my head?

No they turned him into a Janitor first.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

No they turned him into a Janitor first.

A championship finding janitor.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYmedfpMSJE

There's obviously something special about Jim, getting this many people in 2000 WCW to care at all, let alone such a universal reaction.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Duggan was also apparently strong as hell so he could have shot on everyone and simply refused to be pinned.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

oldpainless posted:

Duggan was also apparently strong as hell so he could have shot on everyone and simply refused to be pinned.

Plus you add in his intelligence as a college-educated wrestler and he's basically unbeatable.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MD2020 posted:

Plus you add in his intelligence as a college-educated wrestler and he's basically unbeatable.

That is one of my favourite Heenan commentaries. (From a long and illustrious list.)

And he barely says a word. Just laughs and laughs whilst Tony tries to call the match and take it seriously.

Which I think is one of the reasons Heenan didn't work well with Schiavone. Heenan needs someone to bounce off, and even if they are playing the straight man, to play along.

Schiavone, (at least WCW Schiavone), always sounded like he took "our sport" way too loving seriously, and thus Heenan's nonsense idn't work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For someone who complained about his spot in WCW, Duggan rarely lost. Yeah, he put a lot of guys over in dumb feuds, but he mostly squashed jobbers until it was time to blow off the feud.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

huge guys

shemp, moe, ted healy

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

That is one of my favourite Heenan commentaries. (From a long and illustrious list.)

And he barely says a word. Just laughs and laughs whilst Tony tries to call the match and take it seriously.

Which I think is one of the reasons Heenan didn't work well with Schiavone. Heenan needs someone to bounce off, and even if they are playing the straight man, to play along.

Schiavone, (at least WCW Schiavone), always sounded like he took "our sport" way too loving seriously, and thus Heenan's nonsense idn't work.

Yeah, a Heenan and Schiavone booth probably needed someone like 90s Jim Ross to act as a bridge between the two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Duggan had a sort of energy that surfer Sting had in that they came off like a big kid in the ring. Like "Hey, isn't this great? I'm a wrestler!" just in two very different ways.