Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

its a joke but it really is about not caring if they die. so it should be easy to spin up a server, to add it to whatever resource pool (web server, worker queue, whatever), failover should be automatic when something dies. it's of course a spectrum.

consider adding a new app server to the pool. if you have to

1. provision server, install users, etc
2. install app, dependencies, etc
3. edit lb config manually

to get it to serve traffic, you could do better. better would be

1. provision `web5.mycorp`, and then the following happens:
a) puppet sees host, installs dependencies and app
b) consul comes live, registers as live webserver
c) lb detects from (b) and begins serving

similarly, when web5 gets hit by a meteor, you want it to fail its health check and get pulled out. you want your worry to be handling the capacity/function that web5 was fulfilling, not any specific properties of web5 over and above the generic role it played

a lot of small shops never really manage to cattle-ify their db servers for kinda obvious reasons, but stuff like aurora helps a lot

puppet/ansible/chef/etc really goes a long way. im sure that docker, kubernetes, etc has superseded a lot of my knowledge here though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as i largely share weather with you i am quite happy that you have a long history of not having your wishes granted

The temp and the wind are fine (it's a strong breeze), but I hate sunny weather.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

cjs: no, i didn't tell you to pay shipping for a new laptop to your house. no i don't pick stuff up for other departments. sorry you misread me saying put it in your name. sorry that you're not onsite all the time - not my problem, arrange with your office to come in. we're not your delivery service.

MAD

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cjs: morale seems to be plummeting across the entire team. wonder if it has anything to do with the 2-3% raises and being forced to come back into the office

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Achmed Jones posted:

start eating the server, when you stop crying every time you're there

xD

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

its a joke but it really is about not caring if they die. so it should be easy to spin up a server, to add it to whatever resource pool (web server, worker queue, whatever), failover should be automatic when something dies. it's of course a spectrum.

consider adding a new app server to the pool. if you have to

1. provision server, install users, etc
2. install app, dependencies, etc
3. edit lb config manually

to get it to serve traffic, you could do better. better would be

1. provision `web5.mycorp`, and then the following happens:
a) puppet sees host, installs dependencies and app
b) consul comes live, registers as live webserver
c) lb detects from (b) and begins serving

similarly, when web5 gets hit by a meteor, you want it to fail its health check and get pulled out. you want your worry to be handling the capacity/function that web5 was fulfilling, not any specific properties of web5 over and above the generic role it played

a lot of small shops never really manage to cattle-ify their db servers for kinda obvious reasons, but stuff like aurora helps a lot

puppet/ansible/chef/etc really goes a long way. im sure that docker, kubernetes, etc has superseded a lot of my knowledge here though

this is good advice but keep in mind that for some things, one or two pets is less work than setting up a cattle ranch.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you get the cowboy if theres a risk of serious traffic. all the while you scrupulously avoid making changes in prod and have good deploy scripts and not just for the transition to ranching.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PIZZA.BAT posted:

cjs: morale seems to be plummeting across the entire team. wonder if it has anything to do with the 2-3% raises and being forced to come back into the office

time to mosey on out of there

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
My motivation is in the shitter today. Still on the tail end of getting over being sick though, so I'll blame that. Got like 3 PBI's done already today though so they can't say too much if I'm phoning it in the last couple hours of work.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

this is good advice but keep in mind that for some things, one or two pets is less work than setting up a cattle ranch.

100% true

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PIZZA.BAT posted:

gas is jumping, some people aren't making enough money

morale dead across the planet :(

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

dioxazine posted:

you just need to manage your changes. there's a process for this

lmao nothing says "you will accomplish nothing in this job and spend days waiting for even the simplest requests" like a job description that uses the phrase "Change Management"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yeah also we’re a windows shop

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

yeah also we’re a windows shop

oh. in that case, first you start with some gasoline

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

whether you huff it or burn poo poo with it is really up to you tho

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

PIZZA.BAT posted:

2-3% raises and being forced to come back into the office

this is what prompted me to look for job+1. got 30% instead of 3% lol.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Surprise T Rex posted:

this is what prompted me to look for job+1. got 30% instead of 3% lol.

i really wish i had marketable/valuable skills

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah same...

... I wish you did too :twisted:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i really wish i had marketable/valuable skills
I don't either

that's why I do programming

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i haven't worked since uh...september? looks like i'll be back at it next week

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Roosevelt posted:

condolences

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Roosevelt posted:

I have thought about taking a long break from work like this as well, but then you have the problem of a gap in work. And burnt savings.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

quarantinethepast posted:

I have thought about taking a long break from work like this as well, but then you have the problem of a gap in work. And burnt savings.

i'm still technically employed and have been on disability. also i have a scar across my abdomen that looks like the mercedes-benz logo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i haven't worked since december but i live like a monk and got a fat severance when i got laid off. i'll probably get a job next month or so

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

i haven't worked since december but i live like a monk

yeah ... CELIBATELY!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:fingerguns:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this is pokejoe rn: :supaburn:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nothin personal pokejoe, its just business

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

:negative:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

drat

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

thats gonna leave a worse scar than I got

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cjs: me saying in email "hey, that package that <ancient build system> just produced and sent an email about is DOA, don't use it" like six times in a row to like 60 people because <ancient build system> is an unconfigurable fickle piece of poo poo

stupid devtestprod systems, at least on Jenkins i can loving click a Cancel button

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/jeichlerlevine/status/1533909823204560896

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm not worthy to view that tweet

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

PokeJoe posted:

I'm not worthy to view that tweet

is anyone

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Wish I had time for one more visit to epcot

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: Our weekly meeting with the laughable fifteen-minute time slot started with nine minutes of slowly polling everybody's ice cream preferences and ended with six minutes of Wordle, with four minutes in the middle that actually contained items from the agenda.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CPColin posted:

cjs: Our weekly meeting with the laughable fifteen-minute time slot started with nine minutes of slowly polling everybody's ice cream preferences and ended with six minutes of Wordle, with four minutes in the middle that actually contained items from the agenda.

you work at a pre-school?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CPColin posted:

my team lead called me this afternoon exasperated after an hour long meeting about how he has too much poo poo to do this week to keep going to dumbshit hour long meetings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
cjs: stared at the same computer program for 9 hours without contact with other humans. empty cubicle, no managers, no gods, no masters