Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I just met up with a friend of mine who it turns it is also into golf a bit although I don't think it's his favourite sport.

He prefers match play to stroke play because in stroke play is potentially limitlessly punitive. Although I image people who do badly at stroke play wouldn't make the cut in the first place.

Also, he went into depth about the aerodynamics of it and why the balls are dimpled and it very quickly went over my head.

He also explained to me how they can change the hole's location per round without any outward sign of where the hole used to be.

addendum:

This guy is a physics grad. I'm a maths grad so we have something in common I suppose. I chatted about how easy it is
to convert cartesian to polar coordinates with complex numbers when he brought it up. He was making a point about
calculating areas being easier if you pick the coordinate system to match.

more addendum:

Basically the physics is something like,

Average force x Duration of impact = Change in Momentum

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Matt Wallace
No filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anQeh4I0IVM&t=8142s

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Prurient Squid posted:

He prefers match play to stroke play because in stroke play is potentially limitlessly punitive. Although I image people who do badly at stroke play wouldn't make the cut in the first place.
I generally go by the rule that if you hit double par, then you just pick up and move on to the next hole. It stops the bleeding, and it prevents pace of play issues. I only ever do stroke play though. I'm the "co-op multiplayer only" of golf.

quote:

Also, he went into depth about the aerodynamics of it and why the balls are dimpled and it very quickly went over my head.
Quick and dirty answer is that it reduces drag on the ball. The dimples create a thin boundary layer of turbulent flow that allow the air passing over it to stay attached to the surface of the ball for longer. This reduces the wake the ball leaves in the air, and thus reduces drag.

The real cool poo poo is how the Magnus Effect can affect ball flight based on how much spin you put on the ball and other stuff like that.

quote:

He also explained to me how they can change the hole's location per round without any outward sign of where the hole used to be.

Here is how they do it: https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlysatisfying/comments/v5mrx0/the_way_he_fills_the_hole_to_change_the_pin/

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Get your money for duffing (I want my, I want my)
And the sheiks for a fee (I want my LIV)

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Well I tied for first place gross score in my flight for my city's big amateur tournament this weekend and I won $420 in pro shop credit and $60 in skins. Had an eagle on a par 5 pop hole for a net 2 and overall played pretty good. The first day was essentially a rainstorm and then sunday was pretty wet but not torrential rains like saturday. The decade system was super helpful and kept my focus up despite the weather being absolute misery the first day. I lost 3 balls on the first 2 holes and honestly thought I might not finish the first day since I only had 6 balls in my bag. Definitely a huge confidence booster for the rest of my tournament schedule this summer. Putting still continues to be kind of a weak spot for me, I had 35 and 37 putts for the tournament but I felt like my speed control + lines were just a tiny bit off which made a big difference unfortunately. After watching the US women's open and seeing so many of their top players putting left hand low I'm going to give it a go for the summer and see if it helps me or not, definitely can't get much worse.

Also the person I tied with was probably a better player than I was, but he got a 10 on one of the easiest par 4s on the course saturday so I'd have to assume weather/tilt/penalties got the best of him, dude shot 93/75 lol.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Wow, like magic!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

No Tiger at the U.S. Open. Sucks, but probably the right call to rest and recover more before The Open at St. Andrews

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Omne posted:

No Tiger at the U.S. Open. Sucks, but probably the right call to rest and recover more before The Open at St. Andrews

Bummer.

In other Tiger news, he apparently turned down almost a billion dollars from LIV to jump ship. Norman said he turned down "high 9 figures."

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I mean, they gave Phil $200M and DJ $125M, so it sounds about right for Tiger

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ya I don't think there was any amount of money they could've given Tiger for him to throw away his legacy, he's smarter than that.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Prurient Squid posted:

I prefer match play as well for competitive purposes. You can (theoretically) have ten good holes and eight really bad holes in match play and still win even though you lost in strokes (because you quadded the last four on the front and the first four on the back).

quote:

You can see sometimes it if you know where to look. There's a three-inch plug of turf that was taken from $new_hole and put into $old_hole usually. Most of the courses I've played at, you can see several changes' worth of old holes. Sometimes those old holes gently caress up a putt :argh:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

It lowkey bothers me that the commentators pronounce "masters" the southerner way (southern England).

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mattfl posted:

Ya I don't think there was any amount of money they could've given Tiger for him to throw away his legacy, he's smarter than that.

He's also the one guy on the tour where a billion dollars...really isn't that big of a deal to him. Why bother?

I'm honestly surprised Phil actually took the money - he seemed like the other person who doesn't need the payout.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Kirios posted:

He's also the one guy on the tour where a billion dollars...really isn't that big of a deal to him. Why bother?

I'm honestly surprised Phil actually took the money - he seemed like the other person who doesn't need the payout.

Phil's gambling problem is so bad he very well may be in debt.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
LIV seems really dumb and lol at their lineup. Phil needs gambling money and DJ needs coke money. The only one who makes any sense is Sergio, but it feels like a tour he doesn't suck total rear end on is probably 15 years too late for him.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
At this point signing onto the LIV seems to carry with it a tacit admission that you're not good enough to win on the PGA tour.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I don’t really agree. I expect that there are plenty of other PGA Tour players that would potentially jump to LIV if they see that the PGA can’t really penalize them too harshly and their sponsors don’t drop them. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. Lighter schedule, more guaranteed money, and still able to play in all 4 majors would be a pretty tempting choice for a lot of people I’d think.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's basically a guaranteed payout when being a professional golfer at that level is tremendously expensive. I don't blame people like Na at all.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They should just put MBS on the LIV Golf leadership board page. :newlol:

https://www.livgolf.com/leadership

oh and "LIV" is 54 in Roman numerals like if you birdied every hole! :dumbbravo:

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

i am a moron posted:

LIV seems really dumb and lol at their lineup. Phil needs gambling money and DJ needs coke money. The only one who makes any sense is Sergio, but it feels like a tour he doesn't suck total rear end on is probably 15 years too late for him.

There's probably a decent reason...but why would the LIV tour attempt to go head to head with the PGA? Even lower level PGA events are going to have much more talent and name recognition. Do these guys think that Mickleson and DJ will get people to flip? Imo....they would have been way better off scheduling their events Monday-Wednesday/Thursday to avoid conflicts. Lots more people working from home these days to capture some viewership. Maybe schedule more events overseas whereas the timezone change has key players teeing off in the late afternoon/early evening locally? I see that two of the eight events are scheduled at Trump owned courses. Maybe trying to bring in a certain demographic there....

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

James Wiltshire (aka Gorilla James from old Mark Crossfield YouTube videos) is apparently doing on course commentary and social media content for this first LIV tournament which is kinda interesting. He’s got some good content of his own in the last few years but not huge viewership which makes it a bit of an odd choice.

Honestly the biggest real world impact for a lot of people with all of this is how hosed up a lot of fantasy golf leagues probably are now lol.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Suprfli6 posted:

Honestly the biggest real world impact for a lot of people with all of this is how hosed up a lot of fantasy golf leagues probably are now lol.

All three of them are hurting bad

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
anyone ordering new Srixon irons watch your rear end as they will show up an inch longer than listed since they measure from the center of the taint or some poo poo now

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wait I'm sorry

Fantasy...golf?!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

oh and "LIV" is 54 in Roman numerals like if you birdied every hole! :dumbbravo:
That's only true for a par 72. More likely it's because they're planning to have 3 day, 54 hole tournaments.

Also LIV as in live as in what Jamal Khashoggi is no longer doing.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Kirios posted:

Wait I'm sorry

Fantasy...golf?!

I’ve never done it by my course has a pretty big fantasy league every year that even has a number of people participate that aren’t members or barely ever play here. Everyone gets to pick a few players and they base standings on the players earnings. Now there are a bunch of people that had picked people that won’t be earning any more money on the PGA tour which has caused a lot of drama.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

What are the odds someone yells Khashoggi after a tee shot at the first US based LIV event?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Choose your fighter, folks. 4 Aces looks like a good minor league baseball logo so I think I'll go with that.

What a mess.

https://twitter.com/the_fried_egg/status/1534141387368812548?s=20&t=SPMC6sYU7KTtl60vDzXDTQ

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I hope this fails harder than the XFL

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So is there no punishment by the PGA for players who dipped or what?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Nobody should be throwing away their future over it, but a bunch of older players having a lighter schedule and weaker competition while getting paid seems like a logical move if you are willing to ignore the political aspect of it all. There is probably some version of an alternative tour that would be fun to watch, even if this is not it for many reasons.

Those team logos look like something straight out of the Overwatch League.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/1534322318800986112

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RCarr posted:

So is there no punishment by the PGA for players who dipped or what?
Rumor was they would ban people once they teed off at the first event next Thursday.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Rumor was they would ban people once they teed off at the first event next Thursday.

Doesn't that just open themselves up to some antitrust issues? On one hand, the Saudi stuff sucks bad. On the other, the PGA sucks (and is probably in bed with some despicable people too) and limiting where golfers can play seems lovely.

DuckHuntDog posted:

Nobody should be throwing away their future over it, but a bunch of older players having a lighter schedule and weaker competition while getting paid seems like a logical move if you are willing to ignore the political aspect of it all. There is probably some version of an alternative tour that would be fun to watch, even if this is not it for many reasons.

Those team logos look like something straight out of the Overwatch League.

I always thought there is a place for a sort-of Champions Tour with guys who are a little too old to be competing regularly on the PGA tour but also not old enough to make it to the Champions Tour. Get a group of popular 40-50 year olds and have them tour the country. The team stuff is really dumb but there are probably other ways to spice up the format (gambling, match play, etc).

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'll play DJ, he has to give me like 30 shots though even if I'm a 12hcp and I'll still get demolished in humiliating fashion

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Niwrad posted:

Doesn't that just open themselves up to some antitrust issues? On one hand, the Saudi stuff sucks bad. On the other, the PGA sucks (and is probably in bed with some despicable people too) and limiting where golfers can play seems lovely.

I don't really get how it would, LIV still exists just fine and they even have... teams or something?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
A bunch of the LIV guys have resigned from the PGA Tour, probably to avoid disciplinary action that could give the majors a reason to ban ‘em too

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Omne posted:

I saw a bit of this today, but the guy next to me was hitting angled shots at the same time so I think my unit was a bit confused

So, today there was no wind, and nobody else on the practice range. I was hitting off a mat with white balls. I moved the unit slightly closer to the ball (basically the ball exactly at 6 feet away) and made sure it was aligned.

The unit picked up 29 hits and out of all of those, which was a mix of all different clubs, it miscalculated one. It was actually insane how accurate it was, even with the driver/woods. I accidentally skied a driver way to the right and it picked it up perfectly.

I think you're right - if there are other people swinging, especially near you, it's possible that it gets confused. I'll do some more testing because the accuracy it showed today makes it an absolutely incredible training tool as opposed to just a fun range diversion.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is the unit your penis? If so, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

LIV, Laugh, Love.