Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, they also have an Apple TV app. Kabuki Kool is really fun and neat. i also like Dining With The Chef (little cookin' show), Somewhere Street (they send a person to random cities around the world to first-person walk around and talk to people and look at the shops and streets), really the list goes on.

also every other month you get sumo coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Fortaleza posted:

I just stick to the apple TV w/ shows that're on itunes, criterion channel, and free apps like NHK and DW and ARD. I can't think of any shows or movies that I can't get now that're collectively worth the effort to set up piracy stuff

setting up a sonarr/radarr stack is only like 30% of the effort you spent on that dumb emacs thing you posted about

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The Fool posted:

setting up a sonarr/radarr stack is only like 30% of the effort you spent on that dumb emacs thing you posted about

You'll have to be more specific but yeah that's believable

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

That was more of a "I really don't watch anything these days" post. I don't like spending more than 2.5 hours on the couch at a time, I start to feel lazy and remind myself that there's always something more fulfilling to do around the place

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah but you've got a super cool mini farm/brewery/basketweaving station/glassblowing rig/welding setup/raised bed garden/chicken coop type situation going on. I wouldn't be on the fuckin' computer either if i had even one or two of those.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean, to be fair, i watch NHK World for the first 10-12 hours of the day. i just leave it running the whole time and turn the audio down when i'm in a zoom.

I need to learn how to meditate, but I could probably start by playing the old weather forecast music on a loop:

https://amusicom.com/files/u/mp3/AMU181/AMU181_9.mp3

Bonus: It's 2:19 long

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lord fifth posted:

do none of you know how to google "[movie/show] watch online free" ???

we live in the third world where those videos are blocked by our isp lol

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

cjs: the other dev is now leaving for a new gig and I'm getting slapped with demerits because all the work from the other two devs that left fell on my plate and I'm looking to maybe GTFO but I don't think I can change jobs while negotiating a mortgage on a new house :cry:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
did you tell them you were buying a house? if so that's pure malice

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also lol demerits wtf

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Video Nasty posted:

cjs: the other dev is now leaving for a new gig and I'm getting slapped with demerits because all the work from the other two devs that left fell on my plate and I'm looking to maybe GTFO but I don't think I can change jobs while negotiating a mortgage on a new house :cry:

just wait the couple of months then gtfo

start interviewing in a few weeks ezpz

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
cjs: cant install software on work computer except through internal it-managed software store, and it doesn't carry most things a dev might want. also cannot change system settings in order to add anything to windows path. result: i am using cygwin to perform basic computer touching like it's 2012 or something

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
its tyool 2022 and i am editing cygwin .bashrc for the express purpose of being able to run javac and jar

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i used to pirate everything because lol at paying for bits, but now that i have a job and a wife and poo poo to do, i've lost touch with the copyright infringement community. it's less work to pay for it than to research how one steals things now. does usenet still work? is it all torrents? do i need a seedbox to keep my ratio up? do i really want to think about any of this poo poo anymore?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jonny 290 posted:

jesus christ we are in YOSPOS. people have built computers from individual transistors in here. one of our posters emeritus just ported doom to a/ux . and you say clicking a link and waiting fifteen minutes to have a movie forever is a hassle?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i used to pirate everything because lol at paying for bits, but now that i have a job and a wife and poo poo to do, i've lost touch with the copyright infringement community. it's less work to pay for it than to research how one steals things now. does usenet still work? is it all torrents? do i need a seedbox to keep my ratio up? do i really want to think about any of this poo poo anymore?

jesus christ. well i dont think we have a no piracy rule anymore but

i use iptorrents and click a link and im done. i just seed for 2 weeks and an hour which fulfills my requirement. i have like 900gb of upload credit because most of the stuff i get is freeleech which doesn't ding ratio at all. it gives me headroom to download hot new poo poo which often isn't freeleech on release day. that's it. i've never gotten a dmca and ive downloaded like 8tb poo poo off there in the past two years

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
see that's pretty much the answer i needed, but i do find it hilarious that ratio is still a thing in 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
pirating books and scientific articles is genuinely brutally superior in every way incl convenience and obscurity

music is 90% there, movies are 80% there. but i would recommend books and learned journal papers hardest, really

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

oh yeah sci-hub owns. music hardly seems worth it because apple music has everything i want, it's not all fragmented like movies/tv

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pirating music is hard because music discovery is hard

pirating tv and movie is pretty much a solved problem

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

how is music discovery hard?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

outside of spotify/tidal/apple how do you learn about new music that you might like?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if i go on apple music or youtube or spotify and pick a song i like, it will keep playing other songs like that song, by bands i never heard of, so i wouldn't have known to download it. a forum full of torrents doesn't work that way

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i will second that. I'm actually on soulseek (yes, it's still active!) and there is just SO MUCH STUFF out there. the flip side of democratization of the music industry is that in 2000, i could go to redeye records and look at the new drum and bass releases, pick 7 singles out of the 13 singles that came out that week, and i was caught up with the section of the scene that i cared about. Now? it's literally hundreds of tracks every single week on all these different digital sites. i can't keep up

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

DELETE CASCADE posted:

usenet still works
you may or may not need a seedbox depending on what tracker youre using but ive been fine just letting poo poo seed on my NAS

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the pool potential music is significantly larger than the pool of potential tv/movies

the barrier to creating music is significantly lower as well, which means way more new music is being made than new tv shows and movies

some of that new stuff is actually good, how do you find it?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

if i go on apple music or youtube or spotify and pick a song i like, it will keep playing other songs like that song, by bands i never heard of, so i wouldn't have known to download it. a forum full of torrents doesn't work that way

yeah, that's basically my point. you pretty much need some sort of music discovery service in order for music piracy to be practical

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

if i need to set up plex to stream to like ~5 connections at once what NAS should i get? i still pay for netflix because my wife's fam is on it and they use it often. i think plexin and ripping the physical media i buy is probably the way to go forward.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

some of the shady piracy services available these days are downright amazing. I use one that lets me upload .torrent files or paste in magnet links, and it spits out an https link for me to download the file once it's done. unless it's something obscure there is generally no wait and I can start the http download as soon as I've submitted the torrent file or magnet. even better, you can register the site as a handler for magnet urls, so most of my pirating is just clicking a magnet link, then clicking an http link on the page that pops up

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i just use bing to search "watch [tv show]" and click the first link or so

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

The Fool posted:

the pool potential music is significantly larger than the pool of potential tv/movies

the barrier to creating music is significantly lower as well, which means way more new music is being made than new tv shows and movies

some of that new stuff is actually good, how do you find it?

i find out about a lot of music just on this website. like tinariwen! even though thats not really new. i guess i dont care aslong as its new to me.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

if i need to set up plex to stream to like ~5 connections at once what NAS should i get? i still pay for netflix because my wife's fam is on it and they use it often. i think plexin and ripping the physical media i buy is probably the way to go forward.

depends on what formats you intend to store your media in, and what formats the clients are going to use. if everything matches up and you don't need to transcode, then something low end will likely do. at the other end of the spectrum, if you need to transcode 5 streams, you're going to want something that can hold a gpu

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

cjs: our immediate manager is on vacation and without him speaking slowly and interrupting everyone our sprint demo/retro/planning meetings went smoother than ever and are already done in record time :toot:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i swear there was a "if you like X band, you might like Y" site, like spotify (who, as much as i loving hate them, did a great job with suggestin' while my sub was active) without the streaming part.

A decent way to discover relationship trees in music is just to look up a youtube or two of a song or band you like and see what the recs hold. It might be a 5-10% hit rate but that's better'n nothing.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

music-map.com

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

what.cd has/had some sort of music graph view that I thought was neat

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

A decent way to discover relationship trees in music is just to look up a youtube or two of a song or band you like and see what the recs hold. It might be a 5-10% hit rate but that's better'n nothing.

didn't find a song i like, but this crowder guy sure has some fresh new ideas

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cjs: exit interview done i can bail once im done with this surprise hour long meeting my one coworker scheduled :smithicide:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

imo tools discussion is fine but don’t be posting links

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

didn't find a song i like, but this crowder guy sure has some fresh new ideas

Funny, I don't get any of that. What else u been peepin?