Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lol sure dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the bob receipts

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

elf help book posted:

the bob receipts

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Offsite drama ftw. I'll be launching my twitter bot army shortly

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You said raving I just said they said it was good with ZH, Bob, and pog all do in those tweets

now I have important matters to attend to

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't played Elden Ring but the crafting system is undoubtedly the best I've ever experience, allowing a huge breadth of customization options for gamers willing to "go the extra mile" to master another of its elegantly interlocking game design systems.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

You said raving I just said they said it was good with ZH, Bob, and pog all do in those tweets

lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

EmmyOk posted:

lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

Lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Emmy and Fixins

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Ooooh he mad as hell lmao.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
“I don’t actually care about Horizon” instantly references a dozen specific tweets from months ago

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I do agree w Emmy that last of us is mechanically sound. I like the loot/crafting/combat in it a lot but I dislike every other aspect of the games design

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

lmfao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/insanelybuff/status/1532804626596016129

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got the tude now posted:

I do agree w Emmy that last of us is mechanically sound. I like the loot/crafting/combat in it a lot but I dislike every other aspect of the games design

Never played it but I'll talk ashit about it until the end of time completely ignorant of how it plays, what it look slike or what its story is. Cheers

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mechanically sound is really a meaningless term lol. Yes, the game boots up to the title screen, no, it is not fun to play. lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

lmao

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

mechanically sound is really a meaningless term lol. Yes, the game boots up to the title screen, no, it is not fun to play. lol

It felt super smart in my head lol. It makes me miserable to play but it feels like crafting might be fun if someone with a brain (non-westerner) tried it for real

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

It felt super smart in my head lol. It makes me miserable to play but it feels like crafting might be fun if someone with a brain (non-westerner) tried it for real

loll

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

EmmyOk posted:

Lmao

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think it plays great. Huge sprawling open areas to work your way through that don't feel linear and have a lot of roaming enemies. After alerting them you can get back into stealth but enemies won't stop searching for you instead of saying "guess it was the wind" after chasing you for a while. Moving between running, crouching, and crawling was really fluid and responsive. I'm playing through Arkham Asylum atm and in the stealth sections when you're moving around off the gargoyles batman can control weirdly where sometimes he feels a bit over magnetic to objects and at the same time a bit clumsy when you're trying to drop down ledges or climb stuff. So compared to implementations like that the movement mechanics are very fluid.

It didn't have special stealth grass like so many games do, any overgrowth would work and you could lay down for cover in overgrown lawns and stuff. It also didn't just give you perfect hiding, it just made you harder to see when an enemy was looking towards you. So the sound prompt to indicate you're going to be spotted took longer to fully build up. The AI is pretty smart too and works to flank your position and get you out of cover with Molotovs and stuff while their friends circle around. It all worked together really well and I enjoyed clearing out areas fully meeting new enemy groups and going in and out of stealth or trying to escape to a different part of the map and circle around knowing they'd be hunting me too.

really good game imo

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

worms butthole guy posted:

emmy is correct and BOTW is another great example of a game with bad ubisoft mechanics that are somehow heralded as amazing innovations in game design

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
botw was heralded for its amazing innovations in game design because of its amazing innovations in game design, actually

this is like saying super mario 64 had the same mechanics as bubsy 3d, so you can't criticize or praise one without applying the criticism equally to the other
it would be offensive if it weren't contemptuous and pitiable

please educate yourself with some good and important videos about video games so you can be less of a cretin next time you darken this sacred place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyMsF31NdNc
I'll pray for you

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I played horizon: forbidden west for a bit because I'd read that Zion National Park is one of the open areas and that's one of my favorite places on earth. Turns out the game doesn't even include The Narrows! How the gently caress do you skip that? Doesn't even have anything north of Angels Landing which they put in a different place for some reason. It's really hosed up

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Also if you turn off all of the hints the character still says poo poo like "I bet I could jump over to that other ledge..." if you hang on a ledge for more than .5 seconds. Every single time. There's no master "no thanks, I'm not an idiot bitch baby" option because clearly you are one because you bought the loving thing

christ what an aggravating game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i played the last of us and i think its major problem is that it's about twice as long as it should be. both the subject matter and the gameplay support about 2/3rds as many stages as it has and most of them should have been half as long as they were. i was exhausted of it by the time i got the giraffes or whatever, had no desire to play the DLC and couldn't believe they were making a sequel. the story was also kind of needlessly depressing and defeatist.

i got horizon zero dawn because it was recommended to me and i bounced off of it almost immediately after the tutorial. it just felt boring. the best way i can think to describe it is that it felt like someone came up with the setting and built the scaffolding for a AAA open world game around it without actually building anything into the scaffolding. i don't know what actually happens in the main story but it felt like you could see all the beats coming a mile away from the intro movie.

i have a playstation 4 because i wanted to play final fantasy 15 and i didn't have a pc that would run stuff like witcher 3 and yakuza. i'll probably get a ps5 if they ever make enough that i can buy it at retail so that i can continue to play the latest final fantasy releases and other than that, it'll just be a machine that plays cross-platform stuff like yakuza, elden ring, etc.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Pittsburgh chapter is endless and nothing important happens until right at the end of it. I think it must be more than double the length of the next longest chapter

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

The Pittsburgh chapter is endless and nothing important happens until right at the end of it. I think it must be more than double the length of the next longest chapter

even the ones that are pretty short are just too long for what the game is. the gameplay doesn't scale almost at all, and there aren't a ton of interesting variations for the basic concept so it ends up feeling like they stretched every part of it a little too thin.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah TLOU is way too long and has a ton of padding. The stealth/combat sections are fun though and the crafting works because at least on the hardest mode, consumables and ammo are in very short supply and it's actually a real decision whether you use the last of your poo poo to craft a medkit when you're at a sliver of health or a molotov that might let you take out 3 dudes without using any bullets

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
ps+ premium is fine if you dont have access to game pass and wont for a while. i want to play demon's souls, returnal, ghost of tsushima directors cut and guardians of the galaxy at some point, so the $48 for me to upgrade the rest of the year isnt a bad deal, they might add some more games too maybe

eventually game pass will be on it in like 2025 or i will just buy the streaming puck idk

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

John Romero posted:

ps+ premium is fine if you dont have access to game pass and wont for a while. i want to play demon's souls, returnal, ghost of tsushima directors cut and guardians of the galaxy at some point, so the $48 for me to upgrade the rest of the year isnt a bad deal, they might add some more games too maybe

eventually game pass will be on it in like 2025 or i will just buy the streaming puck idk

Bruh.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

$48 could buy all those games on sale, guardians of the galaxy was 75% off like 2 months after release

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

why do you want to play guardians of the galaxy. the he'll's wrong with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

elf help book posted:

$48 could buy all those games on sale, guardians of the galaxy was 75% off like 2 months after release

yeah that one was but combined no way, what the gently caress is wrong with you, what are you even talking about