Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

LanceHunter posted:

Craig Wright is clearly not Satoshi, but given who the first few people were who got involved with Bitcoin, it definitely wasn't Dorian Nakamoto either. He wasn't a participant in any of the futurist or cryptography groups where bitcoin was first announced, and had no overlap with any of the initial bitcoin developers. That Newsweek article was complete journalist malpractice, and relied on the reporter explaining what he was doing so poorly that Nakamoto legitimately thought he was just being used as an expert to explain what a blockchain was.

The most likely candidate for the real Satoshi is Hal Finney. He was there in the beginning, the first publicity for bitcoin happened in mailing lists and forums where he was already a member, and he was literally working on anonymous digital currency projects since the early 2000s. Plus, he died before bitcoin really took off and it would even be feasible to have an enormous cash-out.

Counterpoint: Dorian Nakamoto is Satoshi because that photo of him is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

ah, I didn't know that his family actually confirmed it was him.

also Democratic senators say: buy!! the dip!

https://twitter.com/means_tv/status/1534894872271929344

i love the part in the clip where she starts excitedly talking about bitcoin and right then they chose to show all the negative percentages of how bad all the coins are doing

just :kiss: editing guys

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

can we say that craig writght is satoshi and punish him for all of bitcoin's crimes?

This but Elon Musk

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

gschmidl posted:

This but Elon Musk

:hmmyes:

maybe both, one could be satoshi and the other nakamoto

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LanceHunter posted:

Craig Wright is clearly not Satoshi, but given who the first few people were who got involved with Bitcoin, it definitely wasn't Dorian Nakamoto either. He wasn't a participant in any of the futurist or cryptography groups where bitcoin was first announced, and had no overlap with any of the initial bitcoin developers. That Newsweek article was complete journalist malpractice, and relied on the reporter explaining what he was doing so poorly that Nakamoto legitimately thought he was just being used as an expert to explain what a blockchain was.

The most likely candidate for the real Satoshi is Hal Finney. He was there in the beginning, the first publicity for bitcoin happened in mailing lists and forums where he was already a member, and he was literally working on anonymous digital currency projects since the early 2000s. Plus, he died before bitcoin really took off and it would even be feasible to have an enormous cash-out.

if any of those people were satoshi, they wouldn't be able to keep their mouths shut.

bitcoin wasn't made because of some futurist ideals or love of cryptography - it just used cryptography for its goal of facilitating the delivery of top quality uk model trains to california. satoshi just showed those guys his ideas because they seemed like a receptive group. the moment they started using it for criminal things and the feds started talking to people, he nuked everything.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

if any of those people were satoshi, they wouldn't be able to keep their mouths shut.

bitcoin wasn't made because of some futurist ideals or love of cryptography - it just used cryptography for its goal of facilitating the delivery of top quality uk model trains to california. satoshi just showed those guys his ideas because they seemed like a receptive group. the moment they started using it for criminal things and the feds started talking to people, he nuked everything.

hal finney has absolutely no problem keeping his mouth shut since 2014, about anything at all

well it might be open and he can't close it, but either way, no statements about bitcoin or anything else are passing out of it

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Also, "facilitating the delivery of top quality uk model trains to california" seems like an odd use-case when that wouldn't have even been possible with bitcoin for many years after it was introduced.

And really, the biggest hole in the Dorian Nakamoto-as-Satoshi story is that he is still alive but in the custody of his family. That means his family has control and access to all of his personal items. If there was actually a chance that billions of dollars was possibly sitting on a hard drive and all you had to do to be wealthier than your wildest dreams was get your bed-ridden grandpa to tell you the code, they would have found a way to do it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

satoshi nakamoto is actually a type of small hat

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

LanceHunter posted:

Also, "facilitating the delivery of top quality uk model trains to california" seems like an odd use-case when that wouldn't have even been possible with bitcoin for many years after it was introduced.

And really, the biggest hole in the Dorian Nakamoto-as-Satoshi story is that he is still alive but in the custody of his family. That means his family has control and access to all of his personal items. If there was actually a chance that billions of dollars was possibly sitting on a hard drive and all you had to do to be wealthier than your wildest dreams was get your bed-ridden grandpa to tell you the code, they would have found a way to do it.

Did he ever actually get his trains

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pigbuster posted:

Did he ever actually get his trains

N-scale
Faux
Trains

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

seth green paid 300 grand to get his ape back

https://twitter.com/sarahnemerson/status/1534964674457837568?s=21&t=uzqfpuonFFTKTIIVu4HtLg

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Imagine if someone else manages to steal it again

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

did john cheese steal it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LanceHunter posted:

there’s no amount of anything that can recover those private keys. its not just as simple as not knowing a password. they were deleted. he flattened everything bitcoin related when the feds came in. even if he hadn’t had a stroke, there is no way for him to actually recover those private keys.

and the use case was why he came up with the whitepaper. the fact that it didn’t happen right away wasn’t the point. it was a nifty idea to him, he shared with people he thought might agree, and got spooked when the feds showed up.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

text editor posted:

Not an expiration date, a lockout date - in order to spend the money for dates before January 3rd, 2029, you need the key on the bill + a key from the vendor's servers. If they shut down the service in 2024 when it fizzles out or the server gets wiped and the keys get lost, then you would have to wait until 2029 to be able to spend the funds on the bill.

how does the bill know what date it is?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

qirex posted:

Green got his ape back from Mr. Cheese, according to transaction records and Green confirming this to me just now when I crashed his NFT project's Twitter Space.

It also appears Green may have paid Cheese nearly $300,000 to return the ape!!!!

I don't like this cluedo reboot

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shame Boy posted:

did john cheese steal it

No, it was Richard Cheese.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mr. Nice! posted:

there’s no amount of anything that can recover those private keys. its not just as simple as not knowing a password. they were deleted. he flattened everything bitcoin related when the feds came in. even if he hadn’t had a stroke, there is no way for him to actually recover those private keys.

and the use case was why he came up with the whitepaper. the fact that it didn’t happen right away wasn’t the point. it was a nifty idea to him, he shared with people he thought might agree, and got spooked when the feds showed up.

You're speaking as though this actually happened and isn't just your wild speculation. Also, it is very clear from the writings left behind that Satoshi Nakamoto was a goldbug-libertarian type, not somebody complaining about international exchange rates. For your version of events to work, this guy would have had to go from having zero contact with any crypto groups to suddenly being deeply immeshed in their culture and interests in the period of about a week; have good enough SecOps to be able to completely wipe and flatten all evidence and ability to access the original Satoshi Nakamoto work while simultaneously being so bad at SecOps that he used his birth name as his alias.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
has anyone gotten a photo shoot with Dorians train set? I’d like to see Dorians train set.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Nice! posted:

hal finney is currently incapable of speaking about bitcoin because he, or rather his disembodied head, is currently undergoing "applied hypothermia" in an alcor "life extension" facility

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

because of course it loving is

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

weird how you can dress up your human dissection fetish as some sort of futurist thing and people will pay you to dismember them and do weird things to their component pieces

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

here’s the only train I can find online.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

"Wait you're saying if I just wore a lab coat people would have paid me to stick them in the fridge??" -serial killer known for stuffing people in a fridge

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
the dorian saga was my favorite season of bitcoin. for silly reasons i won't go into, the wall street journal thought an email i created belonged to dorian and tried inviting him to lunch:

WSJ posted:

Good morning Mr. Nakamoto,

I know yesterday was a crazy day for you. Maybe we can help put this whole thing to bed. Unfortunately, there are still many questions to be asked after your AP interview yesterday. We’d love to give you the vehicle to answer them. We have an unparalleled team of experienced reporters and editors who will give the fairest and most balanced treatment of your story possible.

So, feel free to reach out to me at the number below. Alternatively, you can reach out to either of my colleagues in Los Angeles, [name redacted] and [name redacted], (email addresses attached) who can meet you in person (and, of course, buy you a lunch, dinner, drinks, whatever you need to get yourself comfortable.)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

blugu64 posted:

has anyone gotten a photo shoot with Dorians train set? I’d like to see Dorians train set.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
He got his lunch in the end, bless him.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SubG posted:

hal finney is currently incapable of speaking about bitcoin because he, or rather his disembodied head, is currently undergoing "applied hypothermia" in an alcor "life extension" facility

i mean that's one way to ensure someone spends the time and effort to resurrect you in the future

or just dissects your brain to find your bitcoins

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Crust First posted:

the dorian saga was my favorite season of bitcoin. for silly reasons i won't go into, the wall street journal thought an email i created belonged to dorian and tried inviting him to lunch:

they know the way to the man's heart, i'll give them that

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ah the days when the biggest bitcoin event was a low speed car chase that ended at a sushi restaurant :allears:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

:hmmyes:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mark Karpelès is satoshi

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

mark did nothing wrong
satoshi invented bitcoin
therefore mark is not satoshi

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

I’m going to assume he faked the whole thing for publicity.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

personally i think this "seth" "green" is a purely fictional creation

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

blugu64 posted:

:zaurg:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

mark did nothing wrong
satoshi invented bitcoin
therefore mark is not satoshi

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
and mark's teeth are not nearly as long as satoshi's

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

and the matted, bear-like pelt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

LanceHunter posted:

Craig Wright is clearly not Satoshi
Remember the time "Dr" Craig Wright lied his way into owing a dead man $5,000,000,000 (at the time) in buttcoins?