Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It was Projared. Googled for "gamer youtuber sex controversy" and it was in the images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

what about racism were they also racist?

sorry, I think I did the opposite of narrow it down

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

2023 a windy day of thrifting will blow open LGR's comb-over to reveal a swastika tattoo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think it's like Star Trek; not every person who likes Star Trek is a paedophile, but every paedophile likes Star Trek. Similarly, not everyone who makes game youtubes is a Nazi rapist, but for some god drat reason every Nazi rapist somehow has a youtube gaming channel. It weird.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I think projared’s thing is that he cheated on his wife.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

https://youtu.be/wiitzmg8XxQ

https://youtu.be/XZY8UA1KpjY

giant bomb was great and jeff is a good egg! all their youtube videos were like 45min long at minimum though and i don’t have that much free time anymore

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

who and also what

I had to look it up because the name sounded familiar, he was a popular editor at GameSpot before he got canned for giving a "bad" review of a game, founded GiantBomb in the fallout which was (is?) a much better games journalism / review site.

No clue what that post means if he's just retiring or more drama in paradise or what.

Also I was reminded Ryan Davis (cofounder giant bomb) died 10 years ago at 34 which is how old I am and Jesus. Don't be a fat gently caress folks, far to young to be dieing of natural causes.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 8, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

I had to look it up because the name sounded familiar, he was a popular editor at GameSpot before he got canned for giving a "bad" review of a game, founded GiantBomb in the fallout which was (is?) a much better games journalism / review site.

No clue what that post means if he's just retiring or more drama in paradise or what.

Also I was reminded Ryan Davis (cofounder giant bomb) died 10 years ago at 34 which is how old I am and Jesus. Don't be a fat gently caress folks, far to young to be dieing of natural causes.
the really funny part here is gamespot and giantbomb now have the same corporate owner (red media) and work and interact with each other pretty frequently

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

it seems like he started to burn out and quit abruptly (to be a self-employed patreon/twitch streamer); the rest of the giant bomb old guard all quit six months ago to do the patreon/twitch thing (successfully, so far)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i have a mild suspicion that dan rykert coming back (after getting burnt out of not getting to do anything he wanted a wwe shock and awe) was an excuse for jeff to take time away. (not out of dislike, just that it means there's someone who's been there for awhile minding the ship so to speak)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Shipbreaker is pretty fun. Just cutting up spaceships while listening to some pretty nice americana.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

ADINSX posted:

I picked up brigador recently for 20 dollars on steams and it’s really fun, if you like stomping around in a mech and blowing up really nicely detailed 2d environments then I think you’ll like it too

it sucks that the devs turned out to be shitheads that were complaining that sa wouldn't let them post slirs anymore

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The gently caress is a slir? Speak Finnish you god drat nerds.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Maneater is free on Epic. Neat!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i need constant reminders to log into EGS to get free games or i'd never do it

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

dioxazine posted:

I actually went through the rare step of installing this one. Who knows- I might even play it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I actually went through the rare step of installing this one. Who knows- I might even play it.

it's really fun!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i just finished maneater on ps5 today. had it via ps+. it's good as hell

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
it's also the only semi-sequel to "e.v.o. the search for eden" for snes i'm ever likely to see

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kenny Logins posted:

it's also the only semi-sequel to "e.v.o. the search for eden" for snes i'm ever likely to see

welp guess i better look up maneater now, reading this

loved that goddamn game

(e) oh yeah, this is the shark one! been on pc a while and i totally forgot about it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dioxazine posted:

i literally put a recurring reminder on my calendar for every thursday am to remind me to claim the epic free game

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i didnt really like maneater. i liked the idea but was completely uninterested in fighting the alligator and stuff

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I recently saw a YouTube video saying colour depth is not remotely a modern problem with computers, and I’m getting the exact opposite from James Cameron wannabes and their terrible children cartoon animation quality output.

Colour sample size
8-bit is the norm for 24-bit total or 32-bit with an alpha channel.

10-bit is usually for capturing to enable colour grading. Its the minimum for HDR.

16-bit+ floating point is the fancy stuff usually reserved for in GPU representation.

Linux and it’s apps are quite buggy on 10-bit, Windows with nVidia at least has some override facility:

Desktop sample size and output sample size, not confusing at all.

colour space
The range of colours, hasn’t changed in ages. UHD bumps from a thing called Rec.709 to Rec.2020 and HDR changes the name to Rec.2100. 8-bit Rec.2020 looks worse due to the increased gamut though.

OSs have colour profiles, but idk anything above that, like if you are on a UHD resolution will it automatically change?

Gamma function
More stuff no one cares about for a while. HDR has a couple of options because it is not backward compatible to SDR. This is why HDR is nowhere. HLG is a compromise over a thing called PQ to try to be backward compatible.

There are things called LUTs to help SDR renders and it all seems such wonderful fun that I’m glad someone else does it.

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025502033-What-is-Color-Management-

Chromacity
All modern video is has reduced chroma (colour) resolution compared to luma (brightness) due to our eyeballs. Compositing and editing video needs full resolution otherwise noise and artifacts appear around objects in a scene. The final processing stage can throw it all away though.

So today all presentation video is 8-bit 4:2:0 SDR Rec.709, or 10-bit 4:2:0 HDR Rec.2100. Working content is often Apple’s ProRes 4:4:4:4 (extra 4 for alpha).

I’m having Dunning Krueger designers wanting me to render directly their multiple giggawatt video files or at least transcode to “only” 10-bit 4:4:4. For low resolution LEDs where you can see a pixel this has some logic, but pretty much nothing works like this.

:lol: We have not been permitted to use this content after this week, it's so important, or something.

Windows 11 and HDR is so annoying, I've had 8+ hard locks on a new Razer laptop with HDR display in the first week of usage. Chrome, Zoom, WebEx, etc, all have no clue what is happening and frequently fail in different ways.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 9, 2022

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Improbable Lobster posted:

it sucks that the devs turned out to be shitheads that were complaining that sa wouldn't let them post slirs anymore

Oh, lame :(

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

MrMoo posted:

I recently saw a YouTube video saying colour depth is not remotely a modern problem with computers, and I’m getting the exact opposite from James Cameron wannabes and their terrible children cartoon animation quality output.

Colour sample size
8-bit is the norm for 24-bit total or 32-bit with an alpha channel.

10-bit is usually for capturing to enable colour grading. Its the minimum for HDR.

16-bit+ floating point is the fancy stuff usually reserved for in GPU representation.

Linux and it’s apps are quite buggy on 10-bit, Windows with nVidia at least has some override facility:

Desktop sample size and output sample size, not confusing at all.

colour space
The range of colours, hasn’t changed in ages. UHD bumps from a thing called Rec.709 to Rec.2020 and HDR changes the name to Rec.2100. 8-bit Rec.2020 looks worse due to the increased gamut though.

OSs have colour profiles, but idk anything above that, like if you are on a UHD resolution will it automatically change?

Gamma function
More stuff no one cares about for a while. HDR has a couple of options because it is not backward compatible to SDR. This is why HDR is nowhere. HLG is a compromise over a thing called PQ to try to be backward compatible.

There are things called LUTs to help SDR renders and it all seems such wonderful fun that I’m glad someone else does it.

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025502033-What-is-Color-Management-

Chromacity
All modern video is has reduced chroma (colour) resolution compared to luma (brightness) due to our eyeballs. Compositing and editing video needs full resolution otherwise noise and artifacts appear around objects in a scene. The final processing stage can throw it all away though.

So today all presentation video is 8-bit 4:2:0 SDR Rec.709, or 10-bit 4:2:0 HDR Rec.2100. Working content is often Apple’s ProRes 4:4:4:4 (extra 4 for alpha).

I’m having Dunning Krueger designers wanting me to render directly their multiple giggawatt video files or at least transcode to “only” 10-bit 4:4:4. For low resolution LEDs where you can see a pixel this has some logic, but pretty much nothing works like this.

:lol: We have not been permitted to use this content after this week, it's so important, or something.

Windows 11 and HDR is so annoying, I've had 8+ hard locks on a new Razer laptop with HDR display in the first week of usage. Chrome, Zoom, WebEx, etc, all have no clue what is happening and frequently fail in different ways.

unironically cool post

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

welp guess i better look up maneater now, reading this

loved that goddamn game

(e) oh yeah, this is the shark one! been on pc a while and i totally forgot about it
evo is one pf my favorite games of all time yeah. i wish there were even more mobile games of that sort

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

i didnt really like maneater. i liked the idea but was completely uninterested in fighting the alligator and stuff
i bounced off it the first time. i think they probably should have started the game in a different area like the golf course. also the gators are introduced a bit too early, they should have done barracudas first instead. you can't really effectively fight gators for quite a while

by the end of the game it's fun as gently caress to pick off hammerheads as though they were harmless turtles

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh so the combat gets more fun? i got to the alligator fight that's like the second mission and quit cause it was really not very fun. but if it gets more fun later maybe i'll try again - the premise owns hard

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

oh so the combat gets more fun? i got to the alligator fight that's like the second mission and quit cause it was really not very fun. but if it gets more fun later maybe i'll try again - the premise owns hard
there's story missions to move things ahead then there's optional fights, i think you can put off fighting a gator for a while. you can also unlock good fighting teeth early just by swimming around pinging your sonar and finding all the landmarks (? that look like signposts as you approach) in the first area. upgrading your sonar first makes it usable more often and have longer range

once you get into other areas you will want to look for all the landmarks in each one, the set you piece together is a pretty decent one

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 10, 2022

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

sorry the teeth are in the second area. the first area landmarks give an organ that increases protein earning and healing from eating, still worth it

also the story missions are the white ! on blue circles, mainline those until you get to the second area and unlock them teeth

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
My first RimWorld colony got to 8 people, top of the world with a high intelligence researcher and trickshot gunner and a happy, healthy agrarian life.

But thay all went to hell when I tried to send a caravan out during the winter and the moron gunner didn't have a parka. Well, long story short his 3 person trading party barely dragged his stupid hypothermic rear end back just as morale in the camp broke due to muscle parasites, and simultaneously some raiders showed up and killed spouses from two different couples.

At that point it was a long slow decline, where mental break after raider attack after mental break left me down one more person at a time until finally the last standing colonist went nuts and tried to punch a giant sloth.

Rip Struggle Hill. Rip.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

does rimworld have a demo? im tempted to see if my mac studio can play it but i don't wanna risk $35

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

use the standard steam demo.

14 days or 2 hours of gameplay

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh cool, thanks!

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I think the dev who made rimworld knows me.

(22h): RokosCockatrice is having a mental break! He is going on an eating binge.

(20h): RokosCockatrice is having a mental break! He is sad wandering for the next 2 days.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

this is why rimworld is beautiful

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dioxazine posted:

There's a thread for that.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6j0zKSXAFE

quote:

You are a demon in the Underworld, made out of glass and pain. The Devil has given you a skateboard with a simple deal: Skate to the Moon and swallow it — and you shall be freed.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Soiled Meat

Kenny Logins posted:

gently caress i'm sold

evo rocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

gently caress i'm sold

evo rocked
i just found out there was a 1990 PC-98 prequel to it in Japan this week. apparently it's more like Dragon Warrior and it's even more coo-coo bananas