Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

How is Wout so good at this? I don't know if he's a grand tour winner unless it's one without lots of climbing but he seems pretty dominant so far in the Dauphine. Big stages still to come though.
Also I've been trying to enjoy the Womens Tour but the coverage is really bad, no distance and time gap information and lots of video cutting out. It's a shame because the racing seems good. They're doing it over 4g for some reason.

Yeah this is really disappointing. Women's cycling right now is generally much more exciting than the men's events because there's a lot of standout individuals but not so many concentrated in single teams, so tactics are all over the place and big upsets keep happening. Some of the most entertaining races over the last couple of years have been the women's but the coverage is abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

StarkingBarfish posted:

Yeah this is really disappointing. Women's cycling right now is generally much more exciting than the men's events because there's a lot of standout individuals but not so many concentrated in single teams, so tactics are all over the place and big upsets keep happening. Some of the most entertaining races over the last couple of years have been the women's but the coverage is abysmal.

It's like they haven't figured out that if you want more people to watch women's cycling they have to actually be able to see it. Unless it's a funding thing, like they're too scared to pump too much money into it in case it doesn't take off, but the catch is that if you don't spend enough then your audience doesn't grow to a sustainable level.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
It is very funny sad to watch the GCN highlights of the Dauphine and they sound great but then the Womens Tour highlights sound like they were recorded in a shower

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I think they're doing the coverage from home, no money in having the usual Bath studio for a week, or even a shared recording booth somewhere

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
We love to see it

https://twitter.com/jens_dekker/status/1535258641812660225?s=20

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What's happened to Padun?

Lost nearly a minute today.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

What's happened to Padun?

Lost nearly a minute today.

His hotel was out of healthy breakfasts

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

He went back for a second round after the stage too. Been ejected from the race.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMiEmT6yRvU

:italy: 🤌

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

I got no clue which riders to look at lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BabyFur Denny posted:

I got no clue which riders to look at lol

Took me several looks. They're leftmost in the bottom row at the start.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Movistar have been dragged into the World tour relegation battle with Lotto Soudal and Israel as they've been such bin men this season.

I'd love to see it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
#WheresPadun

Lmao absolutely disgusting from Jumbo. 4 riders left at the front of the Dauphine. and 3 of them are theirs.

And now they've dropped O'Connor and its just Roglic and Vingegaard.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 12, 2022

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The one thing I like best about the Dauphiné is not watching it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Smirr posted:

The one thing I like best about the Dauphiné is not watching it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Excited to see Jumbo gassed up at the Tour, it's gonna be good poo poo between them and Pog

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Lol at Roglic looking very nervous to take his hands off the bars when Vingegaard went for the hand-hold. He knows himself well!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Excited to see Jumbo gassed up at the Tour, it's gonna be good poo poo between them and Pog

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1536033291249364993

Can't wait for them to pull the poo poo they did today and watch Pog just ride away at the top.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

gohuskies posted:

Lol at Roglic looking very nervous to take his hands off the bars when Vingegaard went for the hand-hold. He knows himself well!

Jumbo torpedoing their Tour by passive aggressive infighting between Roglic and Vinegaard would be painful to watch but make for a lot of good post-stage podcast listening.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Weembles posted:

Jumbo torpedoing their Tour by passive aggressive infighting between Roglic and Vinegaard would be painful to watch but make for a lot of good post-stage podcast listening.

We all saw in the Movistar doc how well the three-leader plan goes, I think going for a Roglic/Vingegaard 1/2 and a Wout green jersey all at the same tour sounds like a great plan.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'm in favour of Jumbo contending the front all tour, at least their kit looks better than bineos.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres a Brit coming to fight Evenepoel

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1536361069081464832

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 13, 2022

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

It was probably the toughest stage in pro cycling this year too. Nearly 200k and 5k vert.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It was probably the toughest stage in pro cycling this year too. Nearly 200k and 5k vert.

Yeah, my eyes nearly popped out of my skull when I saw the profile

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Why couldn’t they put that stage in the real Giro instead of a bunch of boring poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the last few giri before this year had really cool queen stages that got nerfed for covid or weather, so hopefully this year's route was an off year

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
For everyone that hasn't seen the stage profile

https://twitter.com/JoeLavo/status/1536253604700598272

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

gently caress

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I hope this is prep for next year's giro in that the hard climb is in the middle of the stage. Teams are too good now so the epic finale doesn't work as the big GC guys have team mates that can pace till the end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
idk the Tour de France did the "HC climb in the middle" thing (usually something like a croix de fer/AdH finish) and it usually does jack poo poo but drop the sprinters

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

That's a little bit insane

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/tds/status/1536591836818640898?t=tuZGD8o-SJmCm0rLIbG-rA&s=19

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

:siren: Sagan won a race :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq-ErfDU2Gc

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Darryl Impey is still racing? Huh.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tylertfb posted:

Darryl Impey is still racing? Huh.

Michael Matthews finished 2nd.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

This doc about Jumbo-Visma at the 2021 TDF came out last August and was available for :tenbux: or something, but it's free now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMIF4IyDM6o

Tour de France documentary: Plan B, the fall & rise | Team Jumbo-Visma posted:

Watch our spectacular Tour de France documentary Plan B, the fall & rise. The story about the way a dramatic first week turned into our best Tour the France performance ever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
their actual best tour de france performance was when Michael Rasmussen decided to solo every mountain stage in a row and then got thrown out for doping

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
They threw him out for violations of his whereabouts. A cycling journalist had seen him in the Italian Alps while he was supposed to be in Mexico according to the whereabouts he had given to the doping authorities. The Rabobank team first supported Rasmussen but later threw him out. It was generally assumed he had forged his whereabouts to dope himself to the gills before the Tour. Years later Rasmussen claimed he forged it because he had an affair and didn;t want his wife to know, then a couple of years later he claimed that the team knew all along and was complicit in his cheating (probably true), but he never actually confessed being doped up. The whole affair let to the Rabobank company leaving the sport.

e; I don't think the currnet Jumbo-Visma team has any remaining ties to the Rabobank team, except both being from the Netherland. They cleaned house pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rojkir posted:

e; I don't think the currnet Jumbo-Visma team has any remaining ties to the Rabobank team, except both being from the Netherland. They cleaned house pretty hard.

You clean house all you want, but if the structures remain, the outcomes are usually not all that different.