Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Was pretty sick. Even the songs off the lovely new album didn't sound so bad live and Billy clearly had fun singing them. The band was really tight in general. I'm sure they had more mind-blowing performances back in the day but if anyone was still on the fence about this tour it's definitely not a reformed old band phones it in situation.

James started playing Blister in the Sun for like 5 seconds and the crowd went as crazy for that as they did for any of the Pumpkins songs, which was kind of funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I thought this was actually a pretty fun read with some good Billy lore in there.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Hyden/status/1532354848443846656?t=hp1LoBclvuFgccw3is7SyQ&s=19

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you care, today is also the 24th anniversary of Adore's release.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That list only puts snail at 35 and starla as literally anything other than 1? gently caress outta here. Also I don't like how it frames everything happening with Jimmy between 96 and 99 as "he was fired and then after adore flopped he was rehired" gently caress off with that deliberately misleading summary of Jimmy nearly dying and coming back after getting sober.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I thought it was fun and had some interesting stories.

I was disappointed that Eye didn't make the list at all, but I mean, it's basically a proto-version of Ava Adore anyway...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't get how Pastichio Medley made it on a list that only has 49 songs ranked higher than it.

Also, "You're All I've Got Tonight" was never on the Batman Forever soundtrack (or any Batman soundtrack).

And also also, "In Spite of my rage"? Really?

For someone who's huge into the Pumpkins, those are some weird errors. :shrug:

ANYWAY, I did enjoy the write up overall. The band really is the king of b-sides. And I was happy to see Here Is No Why on there.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

UPROX posted:

The heaviest number from Mellon Collie‘s blue disc, “Bodies” also has a sentiment at its core worthy of Johnny Rotten: “Love is suicide.”

How does this track beat out "Tales from a Scorched Earth" in this dude's head?

I was happy to see so many b-sides represented, but if he only wanted to do ONE Machina .. song there are way better choices.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hatelull posted:

How does this track beat out "Tales from a Scorched Earth" in this dude's head?

I was happy to see so many b-sides represented, but if he only wanted to do ONE Machina .. song there are way better choices.

I enjoy 'Bodies' more than 'Tales...' but in terms of 'heaviness' Bodies loses.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Referring to it as the "blue disk" is also dangerous, there was that mispressing that had Dawn To Dusk with a happy blue face and vise versa for Twilight To Starlight.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Also what about the original vinyl version?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think that version is a curiosity more than anything at this point although sometimes when I want to change it up I listen to the album in OG vinyl order, I think the cassette was more popular.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also what about the original vinyl version?

I prefer it myself. Dusk and especially Midnight are probably the best sides of vinyl the Pumpkins may have ever done. It all makes a lot more sense theme-wise with the vinyl track listing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Djarum posted:

I prefer it myself. Dusk and especially Midnight are probably the best sides of vinyl the Pumpkins may have ever done. It all makes a lot more sense theme-wise with the vinyl track listing.

Apparently, the way the tracks were originally listed was to avoid it going to 4 discs, and kept it at 3.

Which might not be true, since they went and added Tonite Reprise and Infinite Sadness.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Apparently, the way the tracks were originally listed was to avoid it going to 4 discs, and kept it at 3.

Which might not be true, since they went and added Tonite Reprise and Infinite Sadness.

Billy has said multiple things about it over the years. When it was current he said the vinyl track listing was the way he originally intended it. In recent years he has said other things. Dude is carny as hell so you can’t trust what comes out of his mouth most of the time.

My guess is the original vinyl track listing is likely what was intended since it follows the narrative of meeting someone, falling in love and then it falling apart badly pretty accurately. Comparing it to the CD there aren’t the jarring differences and you have the flow from happiness and wonder to anger and sadness.

I think both the CD and vinyl track listings were done to deal with each formats limitations as well since they both come to the limits of them respectively.

In the years after 99% of people heard the CD track listing and that is what became the standard. At a certain point it is a lot harder to change the narrative with it with nostalgia.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

For reference, this is the original vinyl track listing, right?

Side A
Dawn
1. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
2. Tonight Tonight
3. Thirty-Three
4. In the Arms of Sleep
5. Take Me Down

Side B
Tea Time
1. Jellybelly
2. Bodies
3. To Forgive
4. Here is No Why
5. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

Side C
Dusk
1. Bullet With Butterfly Wings
2. Thru the Eyes of Ruby
3. Muzzle
4. Galapogos
5. Tales of a Scorched Earth

Side D
Twilight
1. 1979
2. Beautiful
3. Cupid de Locke
4. By Starlight
5. We Only Come Out at Night

Side E
Midnight
1. Where Boys Fear to Tread
2. Zero
3. An Ode to No One
4. Love
5. X.Y.U.

Side F
Starlight
1. Stumbleine
2. Lily (My One and Only)
3. Tonite Reprise
4. Farewell and Goodnight
5. Infinite Sadness

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah.

I mean I get it and I like to put it on sometimes but that run for the first six songs just building and building and building is wild, then you get this little breath with To Forgive and kicks your rear end all over again with gently caress You.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I remember knowing the cassette order (really, it's a break between To Forgive and gently caress You), and then.... poo poo, I don't remember disc 2's break. Maybe before XYU?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, it looks like it's between Stumbleine and XYU, which makes sense.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1358241-The-Smashing-Pumpkins-Mellon-Collie-And-The-Infinite-Sadness

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I guess this is the right place to post this, but for years and years, I've kind of struggled (though not in some horrible way) to understand why MCIS affects me on such an insanely deep level. I'm not sure if SP are my favourite band but wow are they close. Either way, there is something truly magical about MCIS that just speaks to me on some level that other albums done even come close to. I don't even love every track on there but I still love every. single. moment.

I want to say that Jesus Hits like the Atom Bomb (by Tripping Daisy) is my favourite album, and I do love it so, so much, but MCIS is like almost in another category, as if it wasn't music but rather an experience, a journal of what 1995 was on some esoteric level. I don't know, this is just some guy's rant about how this album can both pump me up and completely break me, all within the span of even half a listen.

There are passages that, to me, are achingly beautiful, like the ending of Farewell and Goodnight, or the acoustic ending of Thru the Eyes of a Ruby. There are some wistful-but-almost-existential and powerful moments like Porcelina's "In my mind, I'm every one of you". I get chills just thinking about not just that line, but the wall of music that accompanies it.

Recently, I've noticed that I'm having a hard time enjoying music. I'm not sure what it is, some sort of weird anhedonia just about music maybe... But this album breaks through that and reminds me that I will always find some deep well of beauty and heartache in these 28 tracks. And relistening to "Infinite Sadness", the song, just puts me more in that place.

Again, this is a rant that maybe most people wouldn't understand. I'm assuming, and hoping, that because it's being posted in the SP Megathread that at least one of you reading this knows exactly what I mean.

Emotionally, I feel this album is perfect. 27 years later, I still feel that way.

I write music, and I feel sort of jealous that I didn't write it, or even anything coming close to it. All I can do is try, and maybe I'll make something someday that affects at least one other person like this album affects me. That would be amazing.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 5, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hell yeah brother.

Adore is an album that literally saved my life, and I wouldn't say it's the band's best album or that it's perfect (haw haw) exactly, but it's very important to me emotionally because I wouldn't be alive, my children wouldn't have ever been born, if it wasn't for that record.

MCIS isn't in exactly that same place, but I do think it stands in a unique way across a generation of music. It may not be the most important album of that decade but it is a monolith and something incredibly special. It's had a profound influence on me as a songwriter - I've said before but every song I've ever written appears in some form on Mellon Collie.

I know what you mean about being a little jealous you didn't get to write it. Laura Jane Grace once wrote "sang along to the songs I never had the courage to write."

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I bought MCIS right around when it came out; I was fifteen and in high school. A couple of months later there was a huge blizzard and I was snowed in for a week or two, just stuck inside with school closed, listening to that album all day and night. Everything from the opening piano notes to the closing piano notes takes me right back there: huddled inside watching the snow pile up, my tiny little suburban world all blanketed in white. I remember their Rolling Stone cover

and wanting to look just like that. I even had the silver vinyl pants at one point, and I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but I felt like a rock star.

I had the chance to see them on the Infinite Sadness tour and it's, to this day, one of my biggest music-related regrets that I didn't. All my friends showed up at my door the day they went to buy tickets, and I didn't have the money, and we were all broke kids so no one could spot me. I finally managed to see them in 2000 but that '96 tour was something special.

I love this band so loving much, you guys.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I love this band so loving much, you guys.

:unsmith::respek::unsmith:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's probably one of the most important, life shaping albums for people who were teenagers at the time. I read those lyrics like a novel in my room.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

For me, MCIS brings me back to taking back alley shortcuts on my paper route during the winter

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm an odd case because I only recently got into the Pumpkins around 2017 or so, but it was the first band in over 10 years that had really resonated with me emotionally in the same way bands like MCR did when I was in middle school.

I didn't grow up with the Pumpkins-- hell, I don't even listen to them that much lately because I'm kinda burnt out-- but SD and MCIS especially just speak to me in ways that few other albums do.

Like my current band obsession right now is Radiohead, but few Radiohead albums-- or songs, even-- have that same connection with me.

They're fuckin' good albums is what I'm trying to say.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Framboise posted:

I'm an odd case because I only recently got into the Pumpkins around 2017 or so, but it was the first band in over 10 years that had really resonated with me emotionally in the same way bands like MCR did when I was in middle school.
Weird that you would mention them because when The Black Parade came out I remember it resonating with me the same way the Pumpkins had. "Sleep" in particular reminds me of SP, especially the "Aeroplane Flies High" tape effects.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I remember reading somewhere BC's argument for making the biggest in-studio production possible. Someone questioned why he'd do this, if he only has a limited number of people who could play it live. Billy's answer was something like 'the recording is forever, so you should want it to be the best that it can be. Do whatever you need to do to get the song across while playing live but go nuts in the studio.' A-loving-men. Who wouldn't want that?

Also, I know other musicians have given him poo poo for, not in the least, taking himself and his music and production way too seriously, but like... Those albums hold up. At the very least, SD and MCIS feel more like audio experiences than "here are a bunch of songs we wrote, just put together".

Too many albums feel just like that; some songs, maybe cohesively ordered and themed, maybe they're just slapped together because the band struggled to actually write and produce 10-13 at a time. SD and MCIS are kind of the cream of an already golden crop, the best of the best, and ordered very well, regardless of format.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 6, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I find it extremely hard to tell how seriously he actually takes himself versus how dry his sense of humor is. I'm beginning to think it's all kayfabe, pointing at the superman logo on his shirt screaming "you hurt me here, you hurt me in my heart," saying complimenting a song by comparing it to any of his other material is "deeply offensive," the I Am One/Ode To No One/Silverfuck stage rants, calling Jimmy "a loving liar," all of it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I find it extremely hard to tell how seriously he actually takes himself versus how dry his sense of humor is. I'm beginning to think it's all kayfabe, pointing at the superman logo on his shirt screaming "you hurt me here, you hurt me in my heart," saying complimenting a song by comparing it to any of his other material is "deeply offensive," the I Am One/Ode To No One/Silverfuck stage rants, calling Jimmy "a loving liar," all of it.

Weirdly (though apropos for Billy) he reminds me a little of Vince McMahon. Wildly successful in their field but still needs to position themselves as the underdog and the outsider and is forever chasing some idea of legitimacy and approval from others. All he desperately wants is for Eddie Veder to tell him he was one of the good ones or something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Weirdly (though apropos for Billy) he reminds me a little of Vince McMahon. Wildly successful in their field but still needs to position themselves as the underdog and the outsider and is forever chasing some idea of legitimacy and approval from others. All he desperately wants is for Eddie Veder to tell him he was one of the good ones or something.

And for Kim Thayil to let him know he's cute, I guess.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For reference, this is the original vinyl track listing, right?

Side A
Dawn
1. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
2. Tonight Tonight
3. Thirty-Three
4. In the Arms of Sleep
5. Take Me Down

Side B
Tea Time
1. Jellybelly
2. Bodies
3. To Forgive
4. Here is No Why
5. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

Side C
Dusk
1. Bullet With Butterfly Wings
2. Thru the Eyes of Ruby
3. Muzzle
4. Galapogos
5. Tales of a Scorched Earth

Side D
Twilight
1. 1979
2. Beautiful
3. Cupid de Locke
4. By Starlight
5. We Only Come Out at Night

Side E
Midnight
1. Where Boys Fear to Tread
2. Zero
3. An Ode to No One
4. Love
5. X.Y.U.

Side F
Starlight
1. Stumbleine
2. Lily (My One and Only)
3. Tonite Reprise
4. Farewell and Goodnight
5. Infinite Sadness

As someone who basically has the CD's memorized this song order is breaking my brain.

Seconded

One thing I love about SP and Corgan is his way to write just the perfect lyric, or put some simple words in a song that make it sound so powerful. Believe in me as I believe in you is probably my favourite line in Tonight, Tonight, a song that is overfilling with perfect lines. Whenever I hear that, or the lyrics to Hummer or Rocket is just fills me with joy and optimism. Corgan is a great lyricist.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I'm not one for poetry, respect to it, it just doesn't usually do much for me. That being said, SP lyrics are, usually, extremely poetic and fitting.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well Best Buy canceled my order on Mellon Collie this morning. Gotta love ordering as soon as it dropped and missing every other retailer because you think you got it coming only to get hosed. I refuse to pay twice as much to scalpers.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember pre-ordering machina (amazon maybe?) and they guaranteed delivery on 2/29 for the release day. I think it came like 4 days late.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/Billy/status/1534960588496986112?t=Q1xlAc0o3z9ffv7PMFI5NA&s=19

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

"I fear
that I
Am only cardboard
Ad-ver-tising subs"

To 'Muzzle', if that wasn't painfully obvious

This reminds me of an interview I read with him, talking about Siamese Dream's production, and how people from the label would visit (other than Manny, of course) and would comment on how 'the product' was coming along, and he'd understandably balk at his artistic work being referred to as the 'product' by these unfeeling suits.

This is obviously different, he's literally running a business here, but it still reminded me of that.

Eat on
motherfucker
Taste this
Meatball sub

Add in
Mozzarella
Better than
Ones from home

Edit: hahahahaha

(Siva)

"Sprinkle on some parmesan on top..."

Edit 2: help, please stop me

(Hummer)

"When I finished
All that bread
I was heavier
Than I'd ever been"

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 10, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Help yourself
No one else can cook for you like you
No one else eats like me
Ow it's hot I burned my mouth

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I thought Billy was an ardent vegan?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's all plant based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I'm just used to plant based meat substitutes being spelled differently for legal reasons.

Billy Corgan's Meetböl Sub