Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, I'm surprised that bootstrap is still so popular. I thought ZURB Foundation was supposed to overtake it.

I coded a lot of my programmer stuff in bootstrap, although I feel like I should also look into Patternfly 4. But I have to learn React first, since it's a big part of patternfly4. Maybe I should dump it all and just do django or flask and bootstrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Having used both Django and Flask extensively: Use Django. Flask claims to be lightweight, but then you have to add a bunch of libraries to make it worthwhile, and by that point, you may as well use Django. :v:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thanks! I had expected as such. Django has such a good templating and database system too.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
jquery isn't simply "not fashionable", it is legitimately painful to work with for anything nontrivial due to all the work that is necessary to keep a complex UI's DOM synced with the application's data model. For simple stuff it works fine, sure, but simple apps don't generally stay simple. The reason the world moved on to React is not just because people love chasing fashion.

and anyway you don't even need jquery these days because queryselector and fetch are standard browser built-ins these days, you can just write framework-less javascript.

bootstrap works if that's what you're used to but i prefer semantic-ui, since it has a first class React wrapper.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Click element -> ajax call -> add returned data to a container div. Let the backend do all the heavy lifting. :v:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 11, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's not really any point using jQuery now but some things are still randomly slightly more obnoxious in vanilla JavaScript.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

FlapYoJacks posted:

sb-admin * autocorrect. :(

looks neat, ty

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
sob-admin is a solid admin username.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

RokosCockatrice posted:

sob-admin is a solid admin username.

covers both what the users think the admin is, and what the admin does at home

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Gentle Autist posted:

imo jquery is great but just not fashionable. a lot of the poo poo it made easier is now part of native browser APIs but it’s still a quick way to get a thing done

100% agree with this.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

Click element -> ajax call -> add returned data to a container div. Let the backend do all the heavy lifting. :v:

also correct imo.

not everything has to be a massively complicated series of event handlers on the page when you can just POST

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sb hermit posted:

explicitly creates a lambda

I've heard this term thrown around a bit so spose i need to "get" it

thankyou for for this

Corla Plankun posted:

its kind of like the arrow function is teaching a man to fish, and the other version is just giving a fish to the man

my mum did me up some fish for my birthday dinner and it was fuckkkin good

Heavy_D posted:

might help to see how you'd do it without arrow functions

this is very helpful thanks

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the arrow notation is not perfectly synonymous to the function () {} notation. previous poster was also right that understanding the difference is misery and despair

this is where I am at now, working on this.

thankyou everyone who contributed to helping me. I understand very clearly why my code was failing. I am still working on getting arrow functions to feel intuitive for me but I am progess

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

thus exactly matches my one attempt to use typescript lol

lol

cool av

Grum
May 7, 2007
lambda is mostly another name for arrow function, but highlights the fact it may not have a name. the fact that functions don't need a name is of great importance to some people for some reason. i have yet to figure out y

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
didnt clint eastwood stare in a movie about them

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
lambda is just jargon for a function you define in the code ad-hoc instead of formally as a function.

It's not really a "thing" in CS beyond a language feature (it's also the only way to really do a closure, but that's something unnecessary for a beginner to worry too much about when just learning)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Grum posted:

lambda is mostly another name for arrow function, but highlights the fact it may not have a name. the fact that functions don't need a name is of great importance to some people for some reason. i have yet to figure out y

it's a way to treat functions as a first class variable

one of the concepts that functional programming brought to the masses

really useful for callbacks

much easier than C based function pointers

mystes
May 31, 2006

JavaScript already had anonymous functions

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Grum posted:

it's an object of religious worship for the cult of the logicians. they believe the whole world is made out of total pure abstract anonymous functions and hallucinated an absolutely terrible branch of math to prove it (category theory)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

lambdas are the turing machine of the functional weenies

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
category theory was made by algebraists to do algebra, not by logicians

ive been to both of the parties, they are remarkably different but also utterly the same

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
no monad, no cry

Lonely Wolf
Jan 20, 2003

Will hawk false idols for heaps and heaps of dough.
The short answer is that's just what it's called, doesn't really mean anything.

The long answer: Lambda calculus is a formal system that can be used to model any computation. It's cornerstone is the unnamed, or anonymous, function. The mathematical notation uses the Greek letter lambda for these anonymous functions, hence the name. Functional languages are generally based on the lambda calculus so they sometimes call their anonymous functions lambdas. Anonymous functions are often useful so other languages adopted the feature. Calling them lambdas came along for the ride. So it's just what they're called, doesn't really mean anything.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
alonzo church first published it as the ∧ calculus but the typesetter was pissed and he changed it to be λ because λ is lowercase Λ

(notice in turn that Λ and ∧ are different but... uhhh... not that different)

previously, the thing was the ∧ calculus in because whitehead invented 𝑥̂ to denote bound var x. then the typesetter in turn looked at that notation by whitehead and asked them to do ∧x instead

mathematical typesetting has been completely eliminated thoroughly by don knuth personally, but it was definitely a significant thing for centuries

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 12, 2022

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
haskell uses a backslash

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

they mainly exist because when you say "yeah just use a lambda" it sounds way more interesting than "use an anonymous function"

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

I don't remember the details because I avoid js like the plague, but don't arrow functions have more nuances than traditional anonymous functions? I'd swear I read that in the context of js, "lambda function" refers strictly to arrow functions, as opposed to any anonymous function.

mystes
May 31, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

I don't remember the details because I avoid js like the plague, but don't arrow functions have more nuances than traditional anonymous functions? I'd swear I read that in the context of js, "lambda function" refers strictly to arrow functions, as opposed to any anonymous function.
There are differences between arrow functions and normal functions, the biggest one being "this".

I don't think "lambda function" is an actual javascript term but similar anonymous functions are more traditionally called that in other languages so people may use that term.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

alonzo church first published it as the ∧ calculus but the typesetter was pissed and he changed it to be λ because λ is lowercase Λ

(notice in turn that Λ and ∧ are different but... uhhh... not that different)

previously, the thing was the ∧ calculus in because whitehead invented 𝑥̂ to denote bound var x. then the typesetter in turn looked at that notation by whitehead and asked them to do ∧x instead

mathematical typesetting has been completely eliminated thoroughly by don knuth personally, but it was definitely a significant thing for centuries

the russians used a pencil

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
The big difference is arrow functions also suck. poo poo, wait. Difference?, idk honestly

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
in python it's called a lambda to discourage use

mystes
May 31, 2006

pokeyman posted:

in python it's called a lambda to discourage use
Python lambdas also conveniently suck to discourage use

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

gonadic io posted:

haskell uses a backslash

which they chose because it's the ascii symbol that most closely resembles a lambda, didn't they?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

NihilCredo posted:

which they chose because it's the ascii symbol that most closely resembles a lambda, didn't they?

yes, and you can enable unicode mode and use an actual lambda if you want. just a funny next stage in the typographical degeneration imo

animist
Aug 28, 2018

category theory was made by algebraists to do algebra, not by logicians

ive been to both of the parties, they are remarkably different but also utterly the same

i tend to throw them all in the same "formalism nerd" bucket in my head along with dnd rules lawyers and c++ guys

animist
Aug 28, 2018
(he posted, in the programming thread)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m working on every aspect of my site at once and currently i’m thinking about fonts now is it possible to buy a font and host it and ask the website to use that?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just use one of the hundreds+ of Google fonts, commercial font licensing is crazy expensive. I have licensed Gotham and Helvetics Neue and the price tags are hilarious at best.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i didn’t look into the pricing yet lol

but is the principle the same?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Yup, with Google fonts you can just use their hosting and everything is hidden behind code they provide. Roboto is a popular example:

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Roboto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok good I've found the font :smugmrgw:

source code pro