Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Thundercracker posted:

Honestly, A-Train is probably around literally to be the token black guy.

I think we will see him go fast one last time in defiance of Homelander or to give Team Butcher an opening for a shot at Homelander and then have his heart pop in a spectacular fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

yeah a train will go fast again at some point, but i think it's weird how they don't really address whether he even technically has any powers at all. when he fought with the deep i was still unclear on if these guys were also generically super strong or not, they didn't seem to be and have never shown any feats of strength that i can remember. so if a train can't run, isn't he just a guy?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Truly boggling nerd-conjecture but if The Deep can survive naked at the bottom of the ocean than his bones and muscles would probably feel like bridge cable and steel girders compared to a normal person, because he obviously can survive on land without water it’s pretty clear his bones and muscles work more like a submarine’s shell than a fishes anatomy

lmao at myself

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The physical toll of going fast sort of requires super strength, super durability and enhanced senses as without them being a speedster would be a short painful life.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The physical toll of going fast sort of requires super strength, super durability and enhanced senses as without them being a speedster would be a short painful life.

Bust Rodd posted:

Truly boggling nerd-conjecture but if The Deep can survive naked at the bottom of the ocean than his bones and muscles would probably feel like bridge cable and steel girders compared to a normal person, because he obviously can survive on land without water it’s pretty clear his bones and muscles work more like a submarine’s shell than a fishes anatomy

lmao at myself

If you try to apply physics to super hero stories you're just gonna bake your brain.

What always drives me crazy is any kind of gag where the superhero bends the barrel of the gun or breaks it in half while the crook is still holding it requires the crook to be basically just as strong so it doesn't just get wrenched out of his hands.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Latterday DC really delves deep into how insanely overpowered any speedster with even the most basic grasp of physics would be, you’d be able to launch people into space with an uppercut (if you didn’t powder their skull). Even disregarding the bullshit like “I accelerate each molecule individually to travel through time”, it’s a truly outrageous power set and you’d need, minimum, the reflexes of a peregrine falcon or Top Gun: Maverick to function at all. The first episode of Invincible also kind of touches on this.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

drunken officeparty posted:

I still can’t move past how V was apparently more top secret than the aliens at area 51, yet thousands of random parents and doctors and employees and everyone knew about it.

So in reality all these secret programs have tens of thousands of people working on and around them. Do you think the national labs are just a few mad scientists in the desert? Each and every area 51 project of the world is a massive human undertaking that then in turn employees another 500-1000 people for security.

By comparison keeping a pharmaceutical secret is easy. Much simpler to disguise and transport than most secrets

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

If you try to apply physics to super hero stories you're just gonna bake your brain.

What always drives me crazy is any kind of gag where the superhero bends the barrel of the gun or breaks it in half while the crook is still holding it requires the crook to be basically just as strong so it doesn't just get wrenched out of his hands.

None of the super powers we've seen really make physical sense. The guy who was selling his body out for weirdos to mutilate him, but then he'd get better, would require an insane metabolism. Homelander's eye laser beam is just ridiculous. The Deep can hear sea life, which in the real world is mostly not very... Conversant. And while some of the flying stuff looks cool, it doesn't really work either, how are they propelling themselves? I guess Stormfront used her Sith force lightning stuff to do ????.

Maybe Maeve makes the most sense? She's just very, very strong and agile. But she can apparently jump for miles, which is again all sorts of bonkers if we think about things like bones etc.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

its magic, op

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Yeah the superpowers they have in the first place defy the laws of physics so I don't know why people have to try and justify all the technical details of how they would or wouldn't work in the boring rear end real world we live in.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

yeah a train will go fast again at some point, but i think it's weird how they don't really address whether he even technically has any powers at all. when he fought with the deep i was still unclear on if these guys were also generically super strong or not, they didn't seem to be and have never shown any feats of strength that i can remember. so if a train can't run, isn't he just a guy?

The Deep is at least somewhat superpowered in other ways. In the first season he and Starlight beat up some generic bad guys on "patrol" and he over-the-top whips their asses and does like a 12-foot jump into the water. A-Train manages to beat up Kimiko and she's only saved by Frenchie drawing the attention of everyone at the train platform.

Or like Hughie gets temporary teleportation powers but still puts his fist through a guy. V seems to give you some baseline of superstrength/durability/etc.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Wait, so Vicky betrayed Stan to protect her daughter from Homelander....by joining Homelander to get her V to protect her daughter from Homelander? Am I missing something?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Robobot posted:

Wait, so Vicky betrayed Stan to protect her daughter from Homelander....by joining Homelander to get her V to protect her daughter from Homelander? Am I missing something?

It’s also probably in-case something happens to her, then her daughter will be better able to protect herself, just as Victoria protected herself when she encountered that guy.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Robobot posted:

I just read it as her giving some medical treatment to her daughter. Maybe the daughter is paraplegic and needs v to walk?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Wouldn't the kid not be able to walk now? That seemed like a "first time at the doctor" speech she gave her kid what with the "I did it and I turned out OK, it makes us better" tone. If it was something she had to regularly do or had done before I'm sure they would have had her daughter saying she doesn't like taking it or something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

5) my big gripe with this season is that Vought have slowly transformed over the course of the series from “it’s a corporate marketing firm but for managing Superheroes in real life” to “Vought is Amazon AND Disney AND Raytheon and everyone only watches Vought shows and drinks Vought drinks and goes to VOUGHT land” and I’m sure like everything else in the series it’s entirely intentional that the feeling of everything getting sublimated into one gigantic omni-company is becoming a little bit suffocating, but it also feels extremely pronounced compared to previous seasons and makes the whole thing seem a little bit more surreal.

This is just how things go, we are definitely heading for a world where there are only 2 or 3 companies and the inevitable conclusion of capitalism is one company that owns everything that can be owned, trading back and forth with itself to increase its own value.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm pretty sure the Homelander convinced Vicky to flip on her 'father' by straight up threatening her daughter.

Not that he'd say it outright, of course. Maybe she'd walk back into the loungeroom from the kitchen and the Homelander is sitting on the couch next to her daughter casual as you can be. Maybe with his arm around her shoulder.

Then he starts with, "Hey, I hear you're doing a big press conference this afternoon. I've got an idea for how I think that should go."

So, she agrees to flip on Edgar with her price being a syringe of the original, undiluted compound V. She injects it into her daughter to try to keep her safe if Homelander ever decides to come back and do the SuperSonic shuffle on their faces.

Rappaport posted:

The Deep can hear sea life, which in the real world is mostly not very... Conversant.

Back in season 1, someone had the brilliant idea that what the Deep actually does is project his mind onto the sea creatures, which is why they all seem to be Bros.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 11, 2022

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

roomtone posted:

they've both displayed super-strength, they just don't know how to fight

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

So in reality all these secret programs have tens of thousands of people working on and around them. Do you think the national labs are just a few mad scientists in the desert? Each and every area 51 project of the world is a massive human undertaking that then in turn employees another 500-1000 people for security.

By comparison keeping a pharmaceutical secret is easy. Much simpler to disguise and transport than most secrets

I think the issue is more all the thousands of dance moms that would lose it when their expensive super kids don’t get famous, not the actual vought employees. It doesn’t make sense if you think about it so just try not to lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
dunno if i like homelander being a sincere evil magneto, i like him more as an example of a local warlord that's terrifying but completely at the mercy of a greater corporate evil. the mirrored toxic masculinity in butcher and hughie seems a bit forced too.

the reveals of the AOC stand-in are pretty disappointing so far. did she have any agenda as a congresswoman beyond what edgar wanted? i guess we'll get more on her and why she was dosing her kid. also, even though kimiko isn't my favourite character, it'd really be sending mixed messages if she's fridged just to force a confrontation between the boys.

unrelated: maeve's face has always looked slightly off to me, like it's airbrushed or what Wheel of Time readers would call "the Aes Sedai look". i guess she just has really nice skin that's also pale or had a face lift or something?

i still enjoyed the ep, but it feels like all the characters are turning more 2D. the guys to display the theme and the women to make plot points happen.

finally: lol that edgar's ace in the hole was to peace out

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Serious question, how many of us already have Prime for the household because of the free shipping and shopping benefits and just enjoy the show as a free bonus, and who subscribed FOR the show?

Because I don't know if Amazon prime video has the juice to get people to subscribe just on its own without the main prime benefits.

ages ago, but bezos doesn't care, he only made amazon prime some cool hollywood people would be nice to him

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Khanstant posted:

This is just how things go, we are definitely heading for a world where there are only 2 or 3 companies and the inevitable conclusion of capitalism is one company that owns everything that can be owned, trading back and forth with itself to increase its own value.

And if they are like Mitsubisi, and other vertically and parallel integrated monstrosities, they will own shares in themselves, and their rivals. To the point where true ownership is somewhat moot.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Starks posted:

I think the issue is more all the thousands of dance moms that would lose it when their expensive super kids don’t get famous, not the actual vought employees. It doesn’t make sense if you think about it so just try not to lol

I just assume most of them had very little idea what was really going on, and most of them don't get informed of the real deal until years down the line when their small child destroys the dinner table. And by that point you're very likely to keep your mouth shut for your own protection. It sounds like a lot of the kids either died, killed their parents, or went insane. Not a great story to try to get out there as a parent who signed up your kid for blue juice when your opponent is a PR megafirm.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Bust Rodd posted:

Non spoiler I feel like Ashley & the Deep, if they survive, are going to end up together. Deep’s wife is obviously a climber and she’s gonna try to gently caress Homelander and bail on the Deep

One of the things I hope is a twist is 'Cassandra is actually just a super Starlight fangirl and only with Deep to share a twisted connection with her' and now that we have #homelight she will shift her affections to Homelander who will be all about her weird worship.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Goreld posted:

I just read it as her giving some medical treatment to her daughter. Maybe the daughter is paraplegic and needs v to walk?

I think it's because she's anticipating a normal human genocide and thinks it's the only way for her daughter to survive in the new world.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

There Bias Two posted:

I think it's because she's anticipating a normal human genocide and thinks it's the only way for her daughter to survive in the new world.

Yeah it's pretty clear that Homelander is moving toward Supe-supremacy and there's nobody who can stop him if he lands there. If in the future being supe in any fashion is the line between upper and lower class, you get your kid the shot.

I almost wonder if (spoiler related to a comic plot adaptation)Herogasm is going to be Homelander gathering up all the worlds supes and blooding them into accepting regular humans as untermensch with documented depravity.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Rappaport posted:

if we think about things like bones etc.

my little secret for you: never think about bones.
Episode 4 was definitely a rough watch. I'm pretty sure Victoria's kid isn't going to take to V in a good way and will drive mom insane.

Want to see Kimiko and Butcher slug it out after she recovers and have her just break everything in his body. Also leave it to Hughie to be awkward as a supe. I do hope he gets to punch Homelander in a meaningful way, ala beach bully-skinny nerd comics.

Outside bet: Stormfront+Soldierboy?? I am 50-50 on whether the Nazi bitch is dead. O funny know how to turn that into a hashtag tho.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I assume she is suping up her daughter because Homelander is more likely to not kill random supes. Someone that crosses him? Yes. But he considers other supes to be a step above normal humans, so she is safer if Homelander goes on a killing spree.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Deep's power is the worst because if you accept his perceptions as valid (no reason not to he's been so consistent) he essentially gives fish some spark of human intelligence that lets them then go on to form emotional attachments to him or perform complex tasks at his request.

And then they almost all violently die in his service or in circumstances he's asked to not prevent.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

Latterday DC really delves deep into how insanely overpowered any speedster with even the most basic grasp of physics would be, you’d be able to launch people into space with an uppercut (if you didn’t powder their skull). Even disregarding the bullshit like “I accelerate each molecule individually to travel through time”, it’s a truly outrageous power set and you’d need, minimum, the reflexes of a peregrine falcon or Top Gun: Maverick to function at all. The first episode of Invincible also kind of touches on this.

We know A-Train can think fast enough to analyze and react at those superhuman speeds, as we saw in his fight against Starlight. And yet we don't see him super-read a book, or do any card tricks. Maybe he's illiterate.

But seriously, at the very least he should still be able to move his arms really fast. That's barely any cardio.

Crespolini posted:

they've both displayed super-strength, they just don't know how to fight

:hmmyes:

Edit:
That's some A-grade gibberish.

itry fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 11, 2022

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mameluke posted:

The Deep's power is the worst because if you accept his perceptions as valid (no reason not to he's been so consistent) he essentially gives fish some spark of human intelligence that lets them then go on to form emotional attachments to him or perform complex tasks at his request.

And then they almost all violently die in his service or in circumstances he's asked to not prevent.

Or in poorly thought out escape plans!

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

not even that, she knows she currently lives in a world where supes can splatter normals in the street

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Vought kept people in line about keeping the secret by the sheer fact they'd easily be able to kill them and disappear the kids. How many innocent people did stormfront kill in her weird rampages, or Soldier Boy?

Hell, when you have someone like Black Noir or Homelander (under control) you can basically just wipe out the family and go "OH NO A NATURAL GAS EXPLOSION OH DEAR WHODA THUNK IT WHAT A TRAGEDY" if someone doesn't want a few million as a payoff. Even that is rare, considering like when stormfront killed that random black guy and they basically showed up and said "Don't say anything about it, and nothing will happen to you".

Unless they somehow banded all together and decided to nuke the money train for some reason, all going public would do is just pop a target on your back and your family's back as well.

Kinda wondering if Edgar was so calm with Homelander due to the fact he thought he still had Soldier Boy under control and tube'd up. Guessing if he knew SB got out and was in the wild, his BP might have spiked a bit.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mameluke posted:

Yes Aqua Man is a dumb hero

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Kinda wondering if Edgar was so calm with Homelander due to the fact he thought he still had Soldier Boy under control and tube'd up. Guessing if he knew SB got out and was in the wild, his BP might have spiked a bit.

I thought Ryan was the trump card, but no one has mentioned him to Homelander. Butcher, Edgar, and Victoria all had opportunities to use Ryan against him and did not. Homelander has threatened before to just murder the whole world if the plane video was released, and telling him he'd never see Ryan again shut him up about it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

We have no idea what Edgar's contingency plan for Homelander is at all. We're almost certain it's not Noir like in the comics so it has to be something else

It's possible that Edgar could just PR Homelander into a villain. Vought absolutely has the power to do that. Take away all his public adoration and has nothing. However he already told Starlight that if the Flight 37 video gets released and he can't have everyone's adoration, he'll go full scorched earth and everyone can fear him instead. So Vought PR doesn't scare him

It could be Ryan, but that doesn't make sense for a couple reasons. 1 - Vought agreed to let Becca raise him mostly normally so that he'd have a conscience and not be like Homelander. They're not raising him like a weapon to beat Homelander. 2 - What if Homelander went rogue a couple year prior? Even if Ryan was being trained as a weapon he wouldn't be old enough to fight Homelander

And if the trump card is really Soldier Boy, why the gently caress are they keeping him locked up in Russia? And what makes them think Soldier Boy will cooperate?

This whole thing is really interesting because Edgar straight up says to Neuman "Homelander's still afraid of me" and I wonder if that's really true

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 11, 2022

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Vought had, at one point, a person on payroll who could read other peoples' thoughts, and another who could impersonate any person on earth.

With these complete godlike powers, they turned the first into a child star turned joke then abandoned him, and the other they just used to gently caress Senators and blackmail them.

The show is set to make Vought look like they're contemptuous of their creations, but jesus, they're seriously short on imagination themselves.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

GD_American posted:

Vought had, at one point, a person on payroll who could read other peoples' thoughts, and another who could impersonate any person on earth.

With these complete godlike powers, they turned the first into a child star turned joke then abandoned him, and the other they just used to gently caress Senators and blackmail them.

The show is set to make Vought look like they're contemptuous of their creations, but jesus, they're seriously short on imagination themselves.

Vought's intelligence gathering is so good they don't need someone like Mesmer

Their use of Doppelganger was perfect and I'm surprised they didn't have him doing it constantly. Vought's #1 goal for the last 40 years has been to become a government weapons contractor because that's where the top tier money train is. If they weren't using Doppelganger to blackmail every key person in Congress they're total loving morons. However I also understand that from a show writing perspective it's not a great idea to keep a shapeshifter alive too long because that can really throw some wrenches into the works

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

crepeface posted:

dunno if i like homelander being a sincere evil magneto, i like him more as an example of a local warlord that's terrifying but completely at the mercy of a greater corporate evil. the mirrored toxic masculinity in butcher and hughie seems a bit forced too.

the reveals of the AOC stand-in are pretty disappointing so far. did she have any agenda as a congresswoman beyond what edgar wanted? i guess we'll get more on her and why she was dosing her kid. also, even though kimiko isn't my favourite character, it'd really be sending mixed messages if she's fridged just to force a confrontation between the boys.

unrelated: maeve's face has always looked slightly off to me, like it's airbrushed or what Wheel of Time readers would call "the Aes Sedai look". i guess she just has really nice skin that's also pale or had a face lift or something?

i still enjoyed the ep, but it feels like all the characters are turning more 2D. the guys to display the theme and the women to make plot points happen.

finally: lol that edgar's ace in the hole was to peace out

ages ago, but bezos doesn't care, he only made amazon prime some cool hollywood people would be nice to him

Magento is a terrible comparison, as he's just a mix of Malcom X/Black Panther figures that want liberation and won't mind being violent to oppressors that use violence against his people. He's a lot more chill than Cyclops in that at this point. Homelander is any number of evil Supermen that have been created, this one just with specific ego and emotional issues going on that make him psychopathic. Every season has every tether containing him failing, which is kind of the point. Currently he feels he has none and is probably going to hit a huge wall of hubris for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Watching Homelander get beat up is going to be so insanely satisfying holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

It could be Ryan, but that doesn't make sense for a couple reasons. 1 - Vought agreed to let Becca raise him mostly normally so that he'd have a conscience and not be like Homelander. They're not raising him like a weapon to beat Homelander. 2 - What if Homelander went rogue a couple year prior? Even if Ryan was being trained as a weapon he wouldn't be old enough to fight Homelander

I think the threat with Ryan is they will hide him away so Homelander never has a chance at seeing him again or killing Ryan. It's unclear if they could do either. Vought being as evil as they are, I'm surprised they aren't secretly testing things like "Can Ryan be poisoned? Can he drown? Can he suffocate?" as things they can use on Homelander.