Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ruins of the Ancients posted:

The tunnel you are in seems to dip even further downwards at a greater incline and it is all you can do not to fall face forwards tumbling head over heels down the passage. After a long walk in such conditions the floor finally begins to level out and you find yourself in a large cavern.

You hear a snuffling in the shadows and are instantly alert. Before you can react out of the shadows emerges a large creature bristling with porcupine spikes from almost every spot of its body. A snarling snout full of teeth towers above you, and it sweeps the air around you with razor sharp claws. Somehow this Agarashi from the Danarg Swamps has found its way to this place. You realize that probably the Ghoulag brought it here, perhaps for just this purpose, to test you. You draw your weapon and prepare for battle when as sharp pain pounds into your head. Unless you possess the Discipline of Mindshield you must lose 2 Endurance points for every round of Combat you are involved in. In addition, due to the surprise and speed of the Attack you must reduce your combat Skill by 4 for the first two rounds of Combat.
Dark One: Combat Skill 18 Endurance 27
Agarashi: Combat Skill 18 Endurance 24
Combat Ratio: 0

We roll: 8
Dark One: Combat Skill 18 Endurance 25
Agarashi: Combat Skill 18 Endurance 14

We roll: 7
Dark One: Combat Skill 22 Endurance 22
Agarashi: Combat Skill 18 Endurance 5
Combat Ratio: 4

We roll: 5
Dark One: Combat Skill 22 Endurance 18
Agarashi: Combat Skill 18 Endurance 0

Regeneration: +2 EP (20)

You head down another corridor at the far end and race down its sloping passage going downwards, ever downwards. At this point you are hungry and must eat a meal or lose 3 Endurance points (Hunting will not work in these barren underground tunnels). Eventually it opens up into a large room with steel walls and gothic like statues at each of its four corners. In the middle of the room, on a pedestal lies the object of your quest, a Palladium Amulet. Holding your breath you realize that this seems easier than it really is. Getting the Amulet must merely be the beginning of your adventure, escaping is the real challenge. Heading for it in front of you, you carefully approach, easing your way to it.

As you grab the gauntlet a needle pokes out from the pedestal, nabbing your wrist. A vehement poison courses through your veins, but luckily for you, your Immunity nullifies the poison and enables you to continue onwards unharmed. Picking up the Gauntlet you look at it.

The Gauntlet is truly a superb item of incredible make. Slipping it onto your hand, you admire its workmanship and ideal creation. The Palladium has been combined with several other hard metals to make it an incredibly hard metal, harder than Palladium and harder than steel. Flexing your hand you then curl it into a fist and hold your hand over your head shouting in victory. Record the Palladium Gauntlet on your list as a special item. It will add 1 to your Combat Skill and 2 points to your Endurance when it is worn.

As you turn to go a metal door slams down behind you, closing off the way you came in. After a cursory investigation of the door, you realize that it will be impossible to go back the way you came. Exiting the chamber you go forward into a passage that finally begins to head back toward the surface. Escape from these infernal tunnels is now primarily on your mind.

Your senses reel as you enter a room and the settings suddenly change. You go from Cavernous caves of rock and stone, to neatly placed corridors with smooth floors, walls and ceilings. You have entered a new portion of the underground Aarnak which is definitely not natural. Everything around you has been constructed. Closer inspection of the walls reveals that these constructions are ages old. Whoever built these tunnels, seem to have come long before even the Darklords. Perhaps it were the Ancients, you muse, but then, why the Darklords would let such things stay amid their rule of evil is beyond you, unless…unless it held some deeper purpose that was useful to them. Peering around, you try to fathom what meaning lies behind this, but as of yet cannot figure out any clues to such an idea. You pace yourself as you wander interminably along the hallway, and finally decide to rest. When you wake you are hungry and must eat a meal or lose 3 endurance (Hunting is of no use in these lifeless halls). Soon after you wake and begin again you come upon a split in the passage.
Right or left?

*Strongbad voice*: A vehement poison! Vehement!

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

RudeCat posted:

Left is for good guys, we're bad so we do the opposite!

Right!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

RudeCat posted:

Right!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
:goleft:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

RudeCat posted:

Right!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Right hand rule!

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Is Magnamund one of those setting where left handed magic is good and right handed is evil, or am I confusing it with something else?

Anyway, Right

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

exmachina posted:

Is Magnamund one of those setting where left handed magic is good and right handed is evil, or am I confusing it with something else?

Anyway, Right
Left handed magic is good in Magnamund, yeah. Kai Alchemy and the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star magic are left-handed. Nadziranim practices right-handed magic. Right-handed magic was also given by Naar to the Agarashi to aid in their struggle against the Elder Magi. It is not innately Evil but good luck healing with force lightning.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 8, 2022

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Toplowtech posted:

good luck healing with force lightning.

Well, if you hit them with enough of it, they won't need healing any more, now will they?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Let's :goleft:

Is "amulet" a typo? I thought we were picking up a necklace from the pedestal, not a guantlet. Guess I also forgot that's what we came in here for in the first place. Has its significance been explained already? Why do we want it? Just a fetch quest for the zombie dude?

Toplowtech posted:

Left handed magic is good in Magnamund, yeah. Kai Alchemy and the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star magic are left-handed. Nadziranim practices right-handed magic. Right-handed magic was also given by Naar to the Agarashi to aid in their struggle against the Elder Magi. It is not innately Evil but good luck healing with force lightning.

IIRC the Vakeros of Dessi (and the Elder Magi themselves) also use RHM. And so does Lone Wolf/New Order Hero via the Magi-magic discipline.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ofecks posted:

Is "amulet" a typo?
Yep. This book is in even greater need of an editor than the first.

Ofecks posted:

I thought we were picking up a necklace from the pedestal, not a guantlet. Guess I also forgot that's what we came in here for in the first place. Has its significance been explained already? Why do we want it? Just a fetch quest for the zombie dude?
Yep. We were asked to get it by the Ghoulag, who may or may not be President Kadharian of Magador, fka the Slavemaster of Aarnak (or maybe his son; or grandson; or some other relative; or someone else entirely). We don't know why he wants it, but he says retrieving it will be a test of our abilities.

Ofecks posted:

IIRC the Vakeros of Dessi (and the Elder Magi themselves) also use RHM. And so does Lone Wolf/New Order Hero via the Magi-magic discipline.
Nah, that's Old Kingdom Magic - Left Handed Magic is derived from it. Right Handed magic is practised by the Nadziranim.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You walk casually along the corridor when you hear some sort of swishing sound ahead. You stop suddenly and crane your ears for some sign of what ever creature made the sound. Perhaps you can show the creature the true horror of meeting an enemy like you. The dark connection to Naar seems to flare inside of you and a sudden bloodlust rises. Licking your chops, you anxiously draw your weapon. You are ready to drink the blood of whatever lies ahead, enemy or friend. Whatever it is, Naar seems almost gleeful at the prospect of you dealing its death. Inching forward your senses are temporarily heightened to greater strength and you spot your quarry. A slight surprise fills your face as you see who it is. A Kai Master stands in front of you. Even if you wished to you cannot back away now, the urging from your darkside is too strong. The desire to drain this Kai of his blood is driving you insane with fury. You leap forward to attack this Kai. He reacts immediately and draws his own weapon in response.

If you possess the skill of Hunting add 2 to your combat skill for the two rounds of combat due to the point that you have moved so swiftly that the Kai is completely surprised. Unless you possess the skill of Mindshield you will lose 2 points of Endurance every round of combat. The Kai Master is also immune to Mindblast.
Dark One: Combat Skill 25 Endurance 22
Kai Master: Combat Skill 24 Endurance 26
Combat Ratio: 1

We roll: 2
Dark One: Combat Skill 25 Endurance 16
Kai Master: Combat Skill 24 Endurance 21

We roll: 9
Dark One: Combat Skill 23 Endurance 14
Kai Master: Combat Skill 24 Endurance 9

Combat Ratio: -1

Dark One: Combat Skill 23 Endurance 11
Kai Master: Combat Skill 24 Endurance 0

Regernation: +5 EP (16)

The Green traveling cloak of the Kai falls around him as he collapses to the floor. Moaning he is barely conscious, unable to move as his life essence slowly drains out of him. Unable to stop yourself, you furiously bring your weapon down upon his jugular, than at other points of his body where the blood flows fastest. Roaring greedily, you dip your fingers in his blood, your pulse pounding, and you darkness rising. Your eyes begin to glow, and you smile, the last thing this Kai will see in this world is your evil growing as you send him not to the waiting arms of his Master, but to the plane of darkness through the banishment of his soul through your own dark ritual. He realizes his fate but it is too late, and as his soul is forcibly grabbed from his body by the forces you have unleashed through your own sliver of Naar, he lets out a scream so tormented, so terrible that even you almost feel sorry for him. But then, glee takes over your soul as you realize the tortures he will endure on that dark plane or more than any other. Slowly the bloodlust falls and you regain your senses. Blinking your eyes, you try to shake off the after effects of such fury and such darkness, but it is too much for you at this point in your advancement and you fall to the ground, almost comatose beside the body of the Kai.

Hours later you awake. Sore, bruised and a little weary, you look over at the Kai. Searching the dead body you find several items of interest of which you may take.
  • A Dark Amulet (SI)
  • Potion of Laumspur (restore 4 endurance)
  • Sword
Naar is pleased with your work. He reveals the true presence of the Kai through the dark portion of your soul. The Kai was here as a spy. This was the Kai’s link to The Ghoulag, an important portion of their spy network. The Kai Master could not resist the urge to try to do away with you while he was here and volunteered to enter the Ghoulag’s test, much to the Ghoulag’s delight. With the Kai Master gone it will take some time for the Kai to reestablish contact with the Ghoulag and continue their spy operations once more. You have dealt a serious blow to the enemy. Pleased you leave this chamber by a door on the far wall and continue.

Automatically took Amulet and Potion.

The walls of the corridor begin to have pictures carved into them, depicting different stories and legends.

A feral growling begins surrounding you, annoying your ears with its persistence sound, and growing in volume. Soon the sound is so loud that you can barely stand it and you cover your ears in agony. You are unable to detect where the sound is coming from and as it continues to increase in sound level, you fall to your knees. Unless you find where the source of the sound is you fear that soon you will be unable to proceed.

Calling to Naar for help you draw upon the dark portion of evil that resides in your soul for strength, resisting the screeching sounds as they surround you. Suddenly, you realize it is something putting great pressure on the walls. The walls of the tunnels are making the screeching sound as slowly they are forced inward. With a great blast of metal and stone they implode, abruptly bringing the sound to a halt, but revealing three drooling creatures. Each smiles with fang filled mouths as they crouch down in front of two corridors that have opened up in front of you. Crawling forward, you realize that these are Doomwolves under the Sway of the Ghoulag. You sigh as you face yet another test of might from the Infernal Traitor.
Dark One: Combat Skill 23 Endurance 16
Doomwolves Combat Skill 13 Endurance 14
Combat Ratio: 10

Dark One: Combat Skill 23 Endurance 13
Doomwolves: Combat Skill 13 Endurance 5

Dark One: Combat Skill 23 Endurance 13
Doomwolves: Combat Skill 13 Endurance 0

Regernation: +3 EP (16)

Before you stands a final choice. A sign points to the main corridor and says exit, but too your right a small, almost insignificant passageway begins leading to some stairs which go down to a place you cannot see from where you are standing.
Shall we take the main corridor or the stairs?

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 9, 2022

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Drink the Laumspur and take the stairs.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

nelson posted:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

nelson posted:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

nelson posted:

Kinda need to.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Quaff all EP restoratives then head towards the clearly marked exit on the main corridor!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Did we regenerate after combat?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Did we regenerate after combat?

Good catch. I forgot about that. I've fixed it now and our current Endurance is 16/29.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Due to my forgetting about Regeneration, we're not actually as low on Endurance as I'd said when this post was made, so I'll forego the Laumspur.

The narrow confines of the hallway and then the stairs that follow are almost claustrophobic. You narrow your shoulders considerably as you squeeze through and then suddenly you are past the obstacle. Before you stands a lizard like creature which has a saddle and seems to be ready to ride at great speed down a small road built in the hallway, which is now much much wider. Noting that it seems that the mount is purposely placed there, you get up on it and prepare to take off toward the end of the corridor.

The creature is wild and it takes a moment to try to get it under control. Concentrating your powers of Riding on it you soon have it moving to your every desire. With a whoop you ride towards the end of the corridor. It is long and straight and seems to go on interminably. You are beginning to fear that you have entered into a hallway that never ends when suddenly your mount stops in front of a brass door with two Giak Guards standing in front of it.

Quickly removing any face coverings you turn to the Giak guards and change your face to the Vissage of a Vassagonian. You are certain that someone in the Ghoulag’s business must have some dealings with this nation, and so you are almost positive that you will be able to fool such simple minded creatures as these.

“Quick,” You snap at the guards “I have business within. Open the doors and announce that I am here.”

The Giaks looked perplexed and confused. Apparently not many people come this way, and the mystified looks they give you makes it evident they were not prepared for a customer to come this way.

“If you do not let me in I am certain the Ghoulag will be upset with me, and if he’s upset with me…” You let them draw the conclusion the same thing that happens to you will happen to them. In no time the Giaks are wrestling to open the door and show you in. With flourish you approach the door.

You step through the door into a Chamber smelling of decayed flesh and rotted meat. Wrinkling your nose you look around to find an almost empty room. Nothing adorns the walls, the floor or the ceiling. There are only three other opponents in the room besides you, A large Giak, A heavily cloaked figure, and a rotting zombie like creature welded and bound to an iron throne.

The creature on the throne speaks, a dry crackling voice breaking the air. “Welcome, young Drakkar, most welcome.” The face turns toward its two companions and motions for them to step towards you.

Your face registers puzzlement as you try to find a clue to whom you are talking with. “Oh come now,” the creature continues, “You know not who I am, the one who has taken you through this great ruin built by the ancients, the one who has provided the means for you to accomplish your quest, the one who is known to many as the Ghoulag, but to your kind as the Traitor.” The creature cackles a little. “Oh yes, it is I, myself. I thought you might come this way, but I was uncertain that the pleasure would be mine. I wanted to see this young protégé that everyone talked about, I never knew that perhaps one day I would be able to face such a powerful young foe myself.”

“But I am certain we can use each other, I to find more about your powers and abilities which I will sell to our great foes the Kai, and information that may prove useful to you, my young promising Son of Naar.” The Ghoulag motions to the large Giak, “But before we have such business encounters, I think a little test is in order, one that is sure to prove your worth to me, and to others. With that the Giak approaches you, wielding a spear in one hand, a shield in the other.

“This here is a little experiment of mine.” The Ghoulag informs you. “I wanted to see just what sort of DNA made Giaks the sort of killing machines they really are. This is one that I’ve made particularly harsh, not all that intelligent mind you, but about as deadly as they come. Beat this little obstacle and I am certain more information will be forthcoming. With that the Giak attacks.
Mutant Giak: Combat Skill 13 Endurance 14
Combat Ratio: 10

We roll: 7
Mutant Giak: Combat Skill 13 Endurance 0

The Ghoulag applauds. “Well done, well done, but do not feel so confident as of yet. We have only begun. I believe that in order to pass my little test you must have found an item. If you have, you will show it too me now, if you have not, well then…” The Ghoulag looks at you expectantly, patiently waiting to see if you have the Palladium Gauntlet or not.

“Here is your Gauntlet.” You snarl, holding forth you fist. “I’m about tired of your games, and these pitiful little ideas end here.” Grabbing your weapon you advance on the crippled figure. It is unable to get up, bound as it is in the chair, bound not only in soul to unlife, but bound in body as well to an unmoving object in the middle of a barren room, or so it seems at least. Marching purposely toward the Ghoulag you raise your weapon to strike, but are intercepted by the robed figure. This is the Ghoulag’s personal Bodyguard, It blocks your blow with a black kagonite blade. Raising its jagged sword it prepares to do battle against you. Lifting off its hood it reveals a skeletal face, with gaping fangs and glowing red eyes.

The Ghoulag loves to experiment with the aid of several Liganim that escaped Aarnak’s destruction. In their attempt to try to recreate the Helghasts of the pasts they ended up with these powerful creatures. Though unable to shape change, they turned out to be powerful adversaries in combat, so much so that even the Kai fear to battle such creatures.

The Monster attacks. Its assault is ferocious and you doubt even you will be able to defeat such a creature. If you possess the Dark Amulet you notice that it is disintegrating. Delete this Special Item from you list, but as it does so you may add 12 points to your Combat Skill for this combat only. It is a powerful item concocted by the Kai to battle this specific brand of Undead. Remember, if you did not have this item at the beginning of this section, you may not add this bonus.
Dark One: Combat Skill 35 Endurance 16
Ghoulag Helghast Combat Skill 35 Endurance 25
Combat Ratio: 0

We roll: 9
Dark One: Combat Skill 35 Endurance 16
Ghoulag Helghast Combat Skill 35 Endurance 14

We roll: 5
Dark One: Combat Skill 35 Endurance 14
Ghoulag Helghast Combat Skill 35 Endurance 7

We roll: 1
Dark One: Combat Skill 35 Endurance 9
Ghoulag Helghast Combat Skill 35 Endurance 4

Dark One: Combat Skill 35 Endurance 5
Ghoulag Helghast Combat Skill 35 Endurance 0

The creature falls dead at your feet. The Ghoulag stares at you in morbid fear. You have defeated all its traps, fought its monsters, and still had strength enough at the end to face one of its most powerful creations. You advance on it, death dancing in your eyes. No one, not even this creature, dares challenge a Son of Naar and gets away with it.

The Ghoulag shrieks in fear. The tables have abruptly turned and it looks desperately around in hopes of finding something, anything that will save it. There is nothing that is available. Shielding its face with its hands it screams, “Information, Information, I have information that is vital to you, information that may save you from a death worse than anything I can offer, if only, if only you will spare me.”

You pause, but only for a second. Taking this as meaning a yes the Ghoulag spits out its treasured information as quickly as possible. “The Supreme Kai Master, Rune Fire, he knows of your quest. He is waiting for you. He is tracking you. Someone in your midst is a traitor, they know everything you do, and are telling the Kai everything they know. He has sent them to wait for you, he knows you are going for the Blade and has placed one of his most trusted Grandmasters to Guard it. You must find the way that they are not expecting, or when you go for Helshezag…you will die.” The Ghoulag begins to smile, thinking that he has escaped death once again.

Spitting, you advance once more. You never said a word, only paused, and now it is time the Ghoulag paid his due. Horror fills his face as you lift your arm, then with a mighty swing you bring your weapon down, and through is form. Your weapon feels no resistance, and he shows no damage, as once again he begins to chuckle. “Foolish Drakkar, you are powerful, but you have yet to gain the wisdom that will allow you to destroy ME.” Slowly the Ghoulag begins to disappear from view. Shouting in fierce anger you raise your gauntleted fist and shout with fury.

The room then begins to disappear as you are teleported to a beach along the coast. Anchored not far away is a ship which you suppose is your transport to far away Vassagonia. You have almost completed your adventure

You quickly board the Bleeding Merchant and are reunited with Goragik and Lakaast. Goragik is in her usual bad temper, and Lakaast, Lakaast is glad to see you. “Warriors shall always triumph over the weak willed and unsturdy frames of Magic,” He says gravely when he hears your story. “I have had countless battles where the strength of the sword always outdoes the power of sorcery. Though despised as they are, the Kai have shown that countless times when faced with our magic and cunning. Still, whenever we have faced them with overwhelming numbers and greater powers of force they have always failed as shown with the massacre of their first order. Remember that young one and you will make a mighty warrior yet.” With that he turns to aid the ship’s crew, his reptilian form moving stockily among them. You are left, staring at his back, and looking once again at the raging form of Goragik, angry once again at someone or something. Thinking on your quest, and the final words that you heard from who you suppose was the Ghoulag, you are left to ponder the true meaning behind his final speech. But not for long, for soon you are called to the sea in yet another adventure on your ongoing quest in:
    The Memory of Haakon

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Final Stats for Ruins of the Ancients
    Combat Skill: 23 (17)
    Endurance Points: 5/29 (21)
    Drakkar Disciplines
  1. Spying
  2. Regeneration (restore 1-10 Endurance after each combat - but not more than were lost in that combat)
  3. Weaponskill (+2 CS with Swords)
  4. Hunting (no need to eat Meals except in deserts and wastelands)
  5. Riding
  6. Immunity

Weapons:
  1. Sword
  2. Broadsword
    Backpack:
  1. Healing Potion (+4 EP)
  2. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)

3. Tinderbox
  4. Lantern
  5. Potion of Alethar (+2 CS)
  6. Coil of Rope
  7. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
    Belt Pouch (money):
  • 50/50 Kika
    Special Items:
  • Drakkar Armor (+6 EP)
  • Shield (+2 CS)
  • Death Mask (+1 CS)
  • Crystal Star Pendant
  • Grey Key (x2)
  • Palladium Gauntlet (+1 CS; +2 EP)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This book is worse than the previous one. There are a lot of words used incorrectly and formatting errors that would almost certainly have been caught if there had been any kind of editing process. There's also a really nasty dead man walking scenario right at the first real decision of the game where making the wrong decision means you'll never find the Palladium Gauntlet and will die right at the end. Otherwise there's no real challenge to this one and you're unlikely to need more than one attempt to get through it - especially if you learned from the first book and made sure you had Immunity, as we did.

Also, the whole sequence at the end (where you actually meet the Ghoulag and fight his champion) is entirely skippable. Take the clearly marked exit corridor and you win.

The only other thing worth noting here is that this book contains a really clumsy anti-cheat device: one mandatory section asks if you have "Adamantium Earplugs". No such item exists and saying you have it results in death. But if you were cheating anyway you'd just go back to the previous section and carry on, and in any case it's pretty obviously out of place with the setting. No more so than the unexpected mention of Giak DNA later on, but it's still a pretty big clue that something's up. Perhaps it was intended more as a joke than a real trap.

Anyway, tomorrow we'll start on The Memory of Haakon.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, these adventures are way too short.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

So there's a section that can kill you if you have and use the Adamantium Earplugs? What's the context for that? Where could we have acquired those?

Also, looks like the gauntlet is needed to win yet if you choose the center path at the start, you can't get it and are dead-man-walking? What are those 2 endings?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
My guess is it’s a choice when the doom wolves are burrowing towards you.

Could we see the death passage for that? It sounds like it would be ridiculous.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh rad, one of my favorite LP threads is still going. only... 12 books to catch up on :sweatdrop:

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

Shouting in fierce anger you raise your gauntleted fist and shout with fury.

:laffo:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

shouting angrily, you shout angrily!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ofecks posted:

So there's a section that can kill you if you have and use the Adamantium Earplugs? What's the context for that? Where could we have acquired those?
We couldn't. They don't exist. It's a trick option to catch out cheaters.

A feral growling begins surrounding you, annoying your ears with its persistence sound, and growing in volume. Soon the sound is so loud that you can barely stand it and you cover your ears in agony. You are unable to detect where the sound is coming from and as it continues to increase in sound level, you fall to your knees. Unless you find where the source of the sound is you fear that soon you will be unable to proceed.

Some strange mental assault must have damaged your brain, for as you reach for the Adamantium Earplugs you suddenly realize that no such item exists. You have never even run across such items, at least in this adventure. As you try to desperately find such non-existent imaginary items, you scream, for your brain is turning to mush inside your head. Yelling in agony, you fall to the ground, mindless, and brain dead. Your quest ends here, but with the Ghoulag now owning your body your life goes on, and on, and on, and on…..

Ofecks posted:

Also, looks like the gauntlet is needed to win yet if you choose the center path at the start, you can't get it and are dead-man-walking? What are those 2 endings?
Yep.

You follow this tunnel only a short distance before coming to a gigantic Palladium Door.

A voice booms out above you in a horrendous shout of triumph. “So this is the young sapling that is suppose to bring about the defeat of our enemies.” The voice begins to laugh in hysteria as it continues, “And yet, it could not pass even the easiests of tasks.” A rumbling fills the air around you as the entire complex begins to crumble about your head. You search for someplace to run, to hide, or to escape, but no such place exists, and as you try to evade such a ruthlessly laid trap, you find you cannot. For you, your life, and your quests end here.

The Ghoulag applauds. “Well done, well done, but do not feel so confident as of yet. We have only begun. I believe that in order to pass my little test you must have found an item. If you have, you will show it too me now, if you have not, well then…” The Ghoulag looks at you expectantly, patiently waiting to see if you have the Palladium Gauntlet or not.

It takes only a second for the Ghoulag to realize that you do not possess the Palladium Amulet. “Tsk, tsk, tsk.” The Ghoulag clucks, smirking a little in his undead condition. “I’m afraid that can only mean one thing. In front of you he disappears along with the cloaked figure. Shouting in alarm you charge to where he was, slashing futilely at the air. Rushing back to the door you try to open it, only to find it is sealed shut. Pounding on the door you hack at it, trying desperately to escape. Shouting and pledging revenge on the foul creature you shake your fist in the air. It is all to no avail. The Ghoulag has sealed you in here magically, keeping you imprisoned in this small barren room for the rest of eternity. Your quest, but not your life, comes to a tragic end here.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
When you refer to two different items as necessary in the same entry (Palladium Gauntlet and Amulet), and only one exists in the Adventure, it's a good sign an editor would have helped your writing a lot.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Man, the writer really likes their eternal punishments.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Memory of Haakon posted:

The Story So Far

Centuries of peace have passed on Magnamund--centuries of peace watched and warded carefully by the ever vigilant Kai Lords of Sommerlund--centuries of their dominance over the continent since the Darklords were destroyed--centuries in which the Dark God Naar could reflect on the defeat and destruction of almost all his servants--centuries in which he brooded on a way to strike back--centuries spent in contemplation of a new evil, a more massive evil, a more powerful evil than anything he has yet conceived--a new weapon to bring the final downfall of the forces of Good. You are that weapon.

Gradually over the years the Darklands, ancient home of the Darklords, have slowly been restored from dead wasteland to vibrant life. All the ancient strongholds of the Darklords have been overgrown except for one: Helgedad. Here, despite the best efforts of the herbwardens to heal the land, the barren wastes have stayed the same.

Helgedad--the heart of evil--in this city the Nadziranim and Lesser Darklords grouped together as an alliance of power and avoided the infighting and power struggles found elsewhere in the Darklands. Using their combined powers they have been able to retain their hold on this great city and the surrounding lands ever since the fall of the Darklords.

Using this council of Nadziranim, Naar has fashioned a way to resurrect the glory of the Darklords. Using many forced Drakkarim volunteers the Nadziranim slowly changed the way their bodies worked, their minds thought, and how their souls reacted. They made improvements making the Drakkar race faster, stronger, smarter, and more evil. Thus were born the skills of the Drakkar. Still, even with all these improvements, they still had failed to achieve their ultimate goal. Then they made you.

As all the NeoDrakkarim are, you were improved by the Nadziranim as a babe. Unlike the rest, the Nadziranim succeeded. Inside your soul a streak of pure darkness resides. A part of the soul of Naar makes up your creation. You are directly connected to the mind of Naar, and by this are able to achieve things no man or being has been able to accomplish before. Now, for the first time, a man is able to become immortal. Through your discoveries you will blaze the path for other Drakkarim to follow, enabling the goal of Naar of not just one, not just twenty, but an army of Darklords readied and prepared to conquer the whole of Magnamund.

Even more sinister was the fact that these new Darklords would have most of the strengths and none of the weaknesses of the old Darklords. There would be no vying for power, but total and complete order based on rank. They could easily exist outside the Darklands, coming from a race that could breathe both the atmosphere of the Darklands and that of the rest of Magnamund. Indeed, if Naar's plan was brought to fruition, it was doubtful that even the Kai could stop him.

It is little surprise that the Kai uncovered this plot. Aware of the grave danger, they have launched a crusade with one objective: to destroy you. Swiftly they came, led by their leader the Supreme Kai Master, Rune Fire, and surrounded the fell city of Helgedad. Rune Fire, wielding the great weapon, the Sommerswerd, presses hard on the defenses of the city.

After waking one night as the guards barely defeat a Kai assassin right outside the doors of your chambers, you realize your danger as do your Nadziranim mentors. They realize they must get you out of the city and also must find some way to break the siege. After hours of deliberation they arrive at their answer.

In all of Magnamund there is only one weapon with enough power to break the siege and turn back the Kai. It lies in the heartland of the Kai, near their very monastery fortress. Kept in a heavily guarded armoury, an evil weapon is kept from polluting their holy abode. It is Helshezag, sword of Darklord Kraagenskull. Discovered by the Kai two centuries ago on an expedition to the plane of Darkness, they brought it back for study, and to prevent evil from utilizing such a diabolical weapon. In it are great powers which only you, with your connection with Naar, are able to unleash.

But for one as inexperienced as you to be able to enter into the heartland of the Kai, you will need a power to protect you. This can be found in a Doomstone. Unlike most mortal men who would succumb to such an evil artefact, your link with Naar makes you immune. This stone was lost years ago in a great battle between Darklord Haakon and the Founder of the New Order of Kai, Lone Wolf. Located deep in the tombs of the Majhan, it has awaited centuries for you to retrieve it.

First, before these quests may even take place you had to find a way to escape the city. To accomplish this you and an elite guard of Drakkarim Shock troopers embarked on Kraan to fly above the encircling armies. To your surprise, the Kai were expecting such an attempt and were waiting. Ambushing you in a trap, you were forced to land in the Middle of the vast army.

Utilizing your skills and abilities you managed to evade capture and escape the clutches of their charismatic leader Rune Fire. Finding your way to the overgrown ruins of Aarnak you were reunited with your guide only to find a new adventure awaited.

The Ruins of Aarnak were inhabited by a creature known simply as the Ghoulag, a monster created by the Nadziranim long ago. The Ghoulag was known to sell information and aid to anyone with enough to pay the price. For you, the price of passage to Vassagonia, and knowledge of the location of your goal lay in a test the Ghoulag had devised. This test would allow the Ghoulag to find out more about you and the special skills and abilities you possessed. Basically, it was trading information for information.

You passed his test, but only with a little difficulty, as in order to test your abilities thoroughly the Ghoulag had developed a deathtrap meant to destroy all but the most cunning and powerful. Released from the bonds of this nefarious test, you finally board the Ship ‘The Bleeding Merchant’ and ready yourself for a long and dangerous voyage to the Land of Vassagonia.

Which Drakkar Discipline shall we add to our repertoire this time?
  • Basic Instinct: Every animal is born with the instinct of warning. This is a skill most men have lost over time. In a Drakkar this instinct is restored and heightened to a greater level to where at times, not only do they know of danger, but they know what, where, and why it is.
  • Tracking: Allows a Drakkar to determine the best path as well as able to read prints and signs in the wild.
  • Mindshield: Many creatures use their mind to launch mental assaults, this skill protects your mind from such attacks.
  • Mindblast: This gives you the power to attack enemies using the Force of your mind. When you use this skill in combat you may add 2 to your Combat Skill. Some creatures are immune to this power.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Mindshield

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Going to the desert, might need Tracking

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Based on how long these books have been, the whole thing is going to be the boat ride

Better work on our Basic Instinct so we can look out for danger, and to get a leg up on any interrogations we might be in for.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I want to see what a train wreck the author makes of Basic Instinct.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

RudeCat posted:

Better work on our Basic Instinct so we can look out for danger, and to get a leg up on any interrogations we might be in for.
I see what you are doing there. Basic Instinct.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

RudeCat posted:

Based on how long these books have been, the whole thing is going to be the boat ride

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

nelson posted:

Mindshield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

I want to see what a train wreck the author makes of Basic Instinct.

Action Chart
    Combat Skill: 23 (17)
    Endurance Points: 29/29 (21)
    Drakkar Disciplines
  1. Spying
  2. Regeneration (restore 1-10 Endurance after each combat - but not more than were lost in that combat)
  3. Weaponskill (+2 CS with Swords)
  4. Hunting (no need to eat Meals except in deserts and wastelands)
  5. Riding
  6. Immunity
  7. Basic Instinct

Weapons:
  1. Cutlass (Sword)
  2. Broadsword
    Backpack:
  1. Healing Potion (+4 EP)
  2. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  3. Flask of Whiskey
  4. Tinderbox
  5. Lantern