Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
my other pal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

my other pal

:stwoon: i love a dog with eyebrows. and little black and tan dogs are so cute

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Agile Vector posted:

:stwoon: i love a dog with eyebrows. and little black and tan dogs are so cute

i know, right? he was my first adoptee, but unfortunately my parents basically dognapped him so he lives in florida now :smith:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

two more because i miss my little handsome model

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat you’re right you’ve got the fuckin zoolander of dogs right there: that first one is primo

this ain’t really a great photo of partners dog from any perspective, except for capturing dog looking like happy ewok

e:

oh lol here’s a dog that slobs

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 20, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

drat you’re right you’ve got the fuckin zoolander of dogs right there: that first one is primo

lmao, when i would walk him around nyc people would call him "mr. president" or "the dog mayor"

cute doggies everyone though :shobon:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao, when i would walk him around nyc people would call him "mr. president" or "the dog mayor"

😁

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

One of the very few times I had a camera (mine) and a doge (my folks) handy at the same time

Going back a few years and no metadata handy, guessing this will have been my 5D3 with the 24-70 on.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice feeling in that shot

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

One of the very few times I had a camera (mine) and a doge (my folks) handy at the same time

Going back a few years and no metadata handy, guessing this will have been my 5D3 with the 24-70 on.

good composure, nailed the focus, even got lead lines. a+ op

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis posted:

nice feeling in that shot

Looking at it again I probably had his favourite ball in my lens-hand to make sure I was getting eye contact :3:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
now that's a pro trick

one of the reasons I kept thinking about getting a 35mm is because I really do need to have more than one lens, but I had that prime disease where I would only consider primes acceptable, and thought 35 would be the ideal counterpart to a 135. it's just occurred to me, that it makes sense, if I do have such an insane love affair with my 135, but do need something else, I should get a mother fuckin zoom lens

I've now been looking at the 24-70mm f/2.8 style lenses. canon make one which is considered excellent, and sigma, which I am now in love with, also do one. pricey, of course, but, might mean I've got lenses to cover 99% of my use cases.

I've been thinking about it because someone today was talking to me about doing some indoor shoots. the 135 would be a challenge, and a 24-70 would give me every other option I would probably ever need.

jus thinking out loud here

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i took this bird pic on my sarnsung

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

here's a bee too for the horny folks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

i took this bird pic on my sarnsung

high quality photography

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

here's some more phone pics of my garmden

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice flowers, I like the “cinematic” crop on the yellow one

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fine skies this evening over the wind farm, pushing what the old 7S zoom camera can comfortably do.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
getting some decent just accepted jesus into my heart vibes

it’s good

went to a photo meetup on the weekend. it was awkward at times and the weather was overcast and dark and uninspiring BUT one of these cities leading boudoir photographers was there as a model and I got a few shots of her, and she’s never really had photos of herself before, and she said she was really stoked with the photos I took, said I made her feel much better about herself and I said well you’ve done that for loads of other women so I’m glad someone could do it for you, and then she said I was good at what I do, which meant a lot coming from her

maybe I’m not totally poo poo lol. I had a shoot I was planning fall over when the (amateur) model bailed and in general (and I hear this is common everywhere) models are terrible communicators. anyway, I’m learning to not take it personally and just keep pressing forward because I know the people that do shoot with me always have good things to say, so I shouldn’t give much weight to someone who hasn’t even met me.

some dude who is fit and has tats approached me about getting some shots and so I’m gonna be shooting a dude soon. I asked if he wanted sexy shots and he said not really 😭 lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Fine skies this evening over the wind farm, pushing what the old 7S zoom camera can comfortably do.

very pretty! did you process this from raw?

echinopsis posted:

maybe I’m not totally poo poo lol.

i told you!!!! lol

i'll post some poo poo i did over the weekend later

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

here's a few

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Lensrentals order arrived... kickin' the tires on the Canon R

Reds in full sun still require a bit of work in lightroom to fix.

F-in around indoors trying to adjust/get used to the focusing... Going from 9 AF points to a fullly guided experience is a bit of a trip.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have the eosR and I love it

I usually flip between face/eye autofocus if that’s appropriate because it works well and single point in the middle focus, and do the thing where you focus on what you want and use back button focus and reframe

i’ve never understood moving the focus point, unless I guess you had a very setup scene and didn’t want to move the camera. moving the AF point for each photo feels very slow

also I ended up turning off touchscreen altogether coz i kept bumping it and moving focus point and it was a pain in the rear end, and unfortunately you can’t turn that off by itself, have to turn touch off altogether :argh:

anyway hope you enjoy the autofocus on mirrorless because it blows dslr autofocus out of the water

MrQueasy posted:

Reds in full sun still require a bit of work in lightroom to fix.

looks like it was overexposed in the first place?

I am a bit saddened that they don’t seem to have directly replaced the R with any of the R-number models: the 7 and 10 are a downgrade even if they have some newer features, the 5 is too much of an upgrade even tho it’s a direct upgrade and the 6 is an weird sideways move

I personally think it’s weird that each model has it’s one weird set of controls and sets of features, and it’s clear it’s done for product differentiation, rather than creating the best possible cameras they can

the camera conspiracy youtube dude is kinda funny and this must be what he means by the canon cripple hammer, how some models might be intentionally lessened in some way to make sure you might go up a model or something

I should probably post about it in the motherfucker thread because it’s a good example

even tho the R is a few years old now, I am still super happy with it.

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 9, 2022

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

looks like it was overexposed in the first place?

Oh yes, that's a particularly confusing area of my yard for full-auto settings. Of what I've tried with that same spot, the iOS camera is the best at figuring out the deep green background and the super-saturated red. (But it cheats)

The Fuji I played with muted everything, and the canons I've used seem to just let the red clip completely while underexposing everything else.

The dual-pixel raw seemed to let me pull a lot of info back though...

Here's the unprocessed version... the camera was set to -1 stop and on the P mode.

Honestly, it just goes to highlight (lol) why shooting at midday is hard.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does make me wish for the higher dynamic range of the sonys, but tbh none of my real shooting should have such a high dynamic range that I'm balancing clipping highlights vs shadows anyway

i'm personally so wary of overexposure that I always lean towards underexposing

the new arri cameras apparently have a sensor that has so much dynamic range, and once you capture that data you can transform it so it simulates the highlight rolloff film would experience rather than just hard clipping

idk though. im still a baby. my new job is going to give me a couple days off during the week, and I look forward to finding some people to shoot on those days, because on the weekend it's always a bit of a compromise. ive found someone who wants to collab and do the 70s rollergirl shoot. I want to plan this one out well, nail the outfit, come with a bunch of poses planned. if the weather sucks, might do it again if the photos dont come out well, it's gonna be my magnum opium

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

found this couple images on insta and while I suppose I knew editing was important or whatever but here it’s just so clear how much of a difference it can make and how ordinary the unedited image is

and not that I am really into that overedited look but drat, it’s just interesting to see the contrast and to wonder how much more impressive my work could be if I could edit lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol why she sitting in the middle of the street though. also nice av echi

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I saw some busy bees today

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

here's some lichen or whatever too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol why she sitting in the middle of the street though. also nice av echi

lol thanks

at one stage I kind of a bit of revelation, because initially I kind of thought about photoshoots that they had to make sense, like, capturing something that may have been happening regardless of the camera

and then it kind of occurred to me that a photoshoot in of itself is enough of a reason to do something that makes no sense. it's all about the end result

and as a hobby it's fun, organise outfits, makeup, plan some looks, meet a new person, make some photos, have some photos at the end to say I did this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

here's some lichen or whatever too

hansom wee devils

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
ok, 10 hours of driving across a 100-120 degree AZ and NM didn't provide me with many opportunities... but here's some choice rest stops.

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

By the El Centro dunes.

A rock my son said looked like a lizard... just outside NM.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
peep dat whale tail

going through this set is an exercise in seeing sensor dust i missed cloning out. why did it take until the a7r4 to make a shutter that could stay closed while changing lenses. worst part of switching to mirrorless, after the lovely battery life from this era of sonys

boat captain was playing the jurassic park theme this entire time. sad it wasn't the MGS theme instead, even though we were near fox island, not the much further west fox archipelago

not the best pic of the glacier itself but i like the float ice curve

ooh, a reflection

no idea where the level horizon actually should be on this

consolation prize for everything still being brown in much of the area was the famously often cloud-obscured mountain was not

bonus birb, which is not particularly notable except that it's at 35mm and the one piece of wildlife i wasn't lamenting not having the 110mm lens i want yet. that birb did not give any fucks

that said i have no idea how any of the people on the boat with teles where hitting anything half the time. even keeping 35mm stable-ish was a challenge

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 13, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
woah

colours are incredible

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Back from trying to shoot in the dark.

The Rock of Ages (or Godzilla threatening the faeries as my son put it)

I missed focus on the kid because I didn't realize that hitting the trash can button would reset the autofocus to the middle. Still, I like the composition here.

Also a little soft, but :shrug:

The Iphone's cheating night-vision algorithm is scary good.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fuckin cool cave mate. nice shots

a friend of mine posted a photo with a heavy color transform, and made me realise I need to get on that bandwagon lol. in fact I've always been a sucker for film emulation and color grading, I think what holds me back is my own sense of "is that too much?" and maybe I need to step back for 5 minutes then come back to it, because heavily color graded images from others kinda stand out once you know what youre looking for, but they don't look bad

also mucking around with making photos "matte", and while I've known about raised blacks, I had been doing it the "easy" way and just raising the black point, and it's worked, but it wasn't that great, but after hearing a dude call them "matte" it made me realise that is what it looks like, as if the photo has a matter finish, and started playing around with a few things, if I raise the luminance in the shadows of the color grader does that work? no.. what about a smoother tone curve... yep

thanks to covid I have to the time and motivation to make this

idk about you fellas but I reckon the bottom left looks quite nice

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

fuckin cool cave mate. nice shots

a friend of mine posted a photo with a heavy color transform, and made me realise I need to get on that bandwagon lol. in fact I've always been a sucker for film emulation and color grading, I think what holds me back is my own sense of "is that too much?" and maybe I need to step back for 5 minutes then come back to it, because heavily color graded images from others kinda stand out once you know what youre looking for, but they don't look bad

also mucking around with making photos "matte", and while I've known about raised blacks, I had been doing it the "easy" way and just raising the black point, and it's worked, but it wasn't that great, but after hearing a dude call them "matte" it made me realise that is what it looks like, as if the photo has a matter finish, and started playing around with a few things, if I raise the luminance in the shadows of the color grader does that work? no.. what about a smoother tone curve... yep

thanks to covid I have to the time and motivation to make this

idk about you fellas but I reckon the bottom left looks quite nice

even if you want raised black levels doing it that way just limits what you can do on the high end to limit peaking, since you're making the starting point above zero

agreed it's basically vital to mess with curves though, i usually do every channel + luma if i need to (although that's probably overkill). everything i've posted has been rather heavily color graded

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a random trick a photographer taught me is to crank the saturation, and then you can fiddle around with the color temp and really see how well you're nailing it and making the skin it's natural colour

ironically I think it makes pictures feel a little bit cool, but I think that's because of being so used to slightly warm images. I often go and warm them after a touch, but it makes for a good starting point

same with the colour calibration in lightroom. this seems like a popular thing to play with these days, and so I crank the saturation so I can really see the impact my color changes are having, then reduce saturation to where it's good

these are my methods. they are not good, but they are mine

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

a random trick a photographer taught me is to crank the saturation, and then you can fiddle around with the color temp and really see how well you're nailing it and making the skin it's natural colour

ahhh noooo lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

even if you want raised black levels doing it that way just limits what you can do on the high end to limit peaking

what do you mean by this? and if it limits something then.. well I like the effect and that's the cost..