Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

THIS JUST IN: little jones now likes burgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

time for mcdonalds

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

a passive-aggressive backhanded compliment was exactly what i wanted for my birthday how did you know

well, still, congrats on this weirdly significant birthday!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I made wings earlier and they were amazing

I need to clean my grill proper tho

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

hbag posted:

a passive-aggressive backhanded compliment was exactly what i wanted for my birthday how did you know

in one more year you can legally buy yourself a beer!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
they already can I think

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

big deal. i legally bought 2 beers just today

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Roosevelt posted:

in one more year you can legally buy yourself a beer!

you know the drinking age in the UK is 18 right

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
alcohol is a poison

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

so is literally everything else

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

cls: sad that a year and a half of being funemployed comes to a close today.

even sadder that instead of coming out of it having monetized my side project as planned, i'm coming out of it with a dead side project and a waistband that's 3 inches larger.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

hbag posted:

you know the drinking age in the UK is 18 right

oh i thought you moved out of that shithole

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

after breakfast little jones wanted to play uno so we went into my office. im not exactly sure what happened but we talked about sound being air vibrations for a while and then we talked about single called organisms for like an hour and watched youtube videos of the different kinds of cellular movement

now were playing Flow and about to have lunch

never did play uno

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Roosevelt posted:

oh i thought you moved out of that shithole

i am literally still in university and living with my parents
and why would i move to either a country i dont speak the language of, or a country that is really not at all better to live in

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
no clue if terf island or america are worse. we need our foremost experts on the case

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Found this government program where houses in japan are being sold for absurdly cheap, like $20k-50k for like 4 bed sprawling traditional homes, just because they are like a 30 minute rail ride from the city. So that's a medium term goal now.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

this new chair i got really loving owns
and for once its a chair that isnt made out of fake leather either so its not going to crack and be terrible in a month

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Found this government program where houses in japan are being sold for absurdly cheap, like $20k-50k for like 4 bed sprawling traditional homes, just because they are like a 30 minute rail ride from the city. So that's a medium term goal now.

i would love something like this holy moly

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

learned today you can grow rhubarb sweeter than usual if you lock it in a dark shed and only illuminate it by candlelight

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20190424-the-english-vegetable-picked-by-candlelight

and it grows fast enough that you can hear it

https://soundcloud.com/rhubarb-rhubarb-rhubarb/a-mass-of-popping-rhubarb

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/JucikaDaily/status/1536000372434685953

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you can keep Betty boop, I'm after Jucika

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

NoneMoreNegative posted:

learned today you can grow rhubarb sweeter than usual if you lock it in a dark shed and only illuminate it by candlelight

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20190424-the-english-vegetable-picked-by-candlelight

and it grows fast enough that you can hear it

https://soundcloud.com/rhubarb-rhubarb-rhubarb/a-mass-of-popping-rhubarb

we also imprison asparagus

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i dont like this

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I’ve worked for Japanese companies in the US and apparently it’s even worse in Japan

what I’m saying is good luck getting a visa without a job and also good luck finding a non hellish job

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

there is chocolate cake in the kitchen but it never feels like the right time for it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hbag posted:

there is chocolate cake in the kitchen but it never feels like the right time for it

smork a joint and eat the cake

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

nahnahnah ill have the cake tomorrow or something. its still in the box so id feel like a dick if i just opened it without asking even though its... my cake

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

i would love something like this holy moly

https://www.homes.co.jp/akiyabank/

Still looking into who to even talk to to get the information required to plan it, but seriously these are insane.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

InternetOfTwinks posted:

they do this in italy and france as well. They typically come with a contract that says you have to restore them in such and such a way and keep them in such and such a style and you have a prescribed list of things the house can be used for. Knowing Japan, I would be surprised if they let foreigners buy them, if that's a consideration for you.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
foreigners can own property in jp just fine, but its a pain in the dick for them to get mortgages

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

foreigners can own property in jp just fine, but its a pain in the dick for them to get mortgages

right but these are typically government owned traditional japanese houses and they want them to be restored to their former state and used as traditional japanese houses for cultural hegemony reasons and that means no white guys owning them. I could be wrong, but that'd be the first thing I checked.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

From what I've read it's not an issue so long as you can speak the language and my partner has that covered. Definitely doing more research though.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

InternetOfTwinks posted:

From what I've read it's not an issue so long as you can speak the language and my partner has that covered. Definitely doing more research though.

nice. Sincerely hope things work out for you. Please keep us updated.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Japan and Korea both seem like incredible places to visit and spend time, especially as a foodie, but living there just seems like hell. Turbo capitalism with a government even more visibly run by mega conglomerates/chaebols than the US with terrible worker protections

the corporate structures are also incredibly horrendous to work with. making changes requires signatures from multiple levels above you and each one wants to fight to seem like their job is relevant, all while pretending to nap at your desk scores you brownie points even though the reality is you’re just KO’d after banging your head against your desk repeatedly

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

rotor posted:

nice. Sincerely hope things work out for you. Please keep us updated.

This is like a 3-5 year plan idea, would want to do it cash in hand to minimize any possible bullshit. Here's hoping though!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Japan and Korea both seem like incredible places to visit and spend time, especially as a foodie, but living there just seems like hell. Turbo capitalism with a government even more visibly run by mega conglomerates/chaebols than the US with terrible worker protections

the corporate structures are also incredibly horrendous to work with. making changes requires signatures from multiple levels above you and each one wants to fight to seem like their job is relevant, all while pretending to nap at your desk scores you brownie points even though the reality is you’re just KO’d after banging your head against your desk repeatedly

living in a country that isn't yours is really nice actually, or was for me anyway. Like you hear poo poo and you're like "y'all voted for that poo poo? jesus. oh well, not my problem." cause you're just a long-term tourist and can always leave.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

japanese business culture can also sometimes just be completely fuckin rude to foreigners and get away with it. a friend of mine finally got himself a work visa for a specific sector and only that sector, moved to japan, settled in, then on his second day at work his boss gaslit him for 20 minutes then called him a fatass. dude's rail thin. he now has to choose between being abused for the duration of his visa, finding another job in that really specific visa segment (unlikely), or eating the several thousand dollars he's spent to get to this point and just going home

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rotor posted:

living in a country that isn't yours is really nice actually, or was for me anyway. Like you hear poo poo and you're like "y'all voted for that poo poo? jesus. oh well, not my problem." cause you're just a long-term tourist and can always leave.

as a long term tourist to the US I can assure you that if you manage to accidentally root yourself somewhere that feeling goes away very quickly

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

as a long term tourist to the US I can assure you that if you manage to accidentally root yourself somewhere that feeling goes away very quickly

yeah i can imagine it being far worse if leaving is no longer an option for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can go off and become american

cant do that in japan and korea