Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

ogre battle
+
fire emblem supports

Release Date: June 10 2022
Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1488200/Symphony_of_War_The_Nephilim_Saga/
- $19.99/$15.99 until June 17 / Steam Deck :thumbsup:
EGS: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/symphony-of-war-60a76e
- $19.99/$15.99 until June 17
Switch: In development

Official Discord: https://discord.com/invite/dancingdragongames
You might be familiar with Dancing Dragon games past jrpgs like the Deadly Sin duology or Echoes of Aetheria
Official Tutorial Vids (there's an ingame tutorial/encylopedia too): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLXgvKiC-NvmGmKl-vAby1rHzvLIX-Xk9

https://i.imgur.com/jDNGiVq.mp4
Who am I?
-
Dragons?
- yeah
Romances?
- if you want, also includes same-sex

2D Turn-based Strategy RPG
Squad-based player army
Story-rich 30-40 hour Campaign with huge replay value
50+ Character classes for your troops
Massive depth of tactics you will learn through natural play
Limitless possibilities for how to build your characters and squads

https://i.imgur.com/QmECkSO.mp4
Assemble squads from more than 50 unit classes, including heavy infantry, archers, shock cavalry, medics, arquebusiers, dragons, battle mages, and more
Outfit squads with equipment and artifacts obtained through looting and victory
Nurture your conscripts into elite warriors, or hire mercenaries to instantly boost your army's fighting prowess
Research upgrades through your faction’s tech tree across a multitude of classes to specialize or generalize your troops for the job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO9RsbREfEM

A couple of us have been playing and talking about it in the RPG and Fresh Releases threads so here's a standalone one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
This is a good choice, it was kind of taking over the RPG thread.

I hit Mission 20 and the side missions opened up. Weird choice opening them so late but I'm all for more stuff to do. Some of them have units that will just obliterate you if you're not careful. Understanding terrain really matters when you're fighting lots of Rangers/Assassins and I'm having to move more carefully to not get instantly deleted.

Abigayle now has 3 dragons in her squad including (optional unit spoiler) The blue one from the side quest. She is far and away the most powerful unit in my army and can eat several rounds of gunfire if need be. Using the special skill that reduces all damage by 50% and makes everything target her for a round makes her literally unstoppable.

I'm digging the unit variety more now that I understand how the T3 classes differentiate from eachother. I still try to keep a mixed squad as much as possible outside a few Bowman/Gunner squads that serve as artillery.

Dev is patching today to fix some bugs as well so I'm glad to see that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I really wish there was a way to farm money (repeat missions) but that sounds like it's coming later. I hope when it does, it refreshes the shops (and bazaars on those maps) too because goddamn, I want to do a dragon horde playthrough because they seem so incredibly powerful.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I've only ever found Dragons in Bazaars and only ever 1/Bazaar. Getting more than about 10~ seems like its pretty tricky/impossible

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
When you start doing the optional missions around mission 20, the shop refreshes after each one so make sure you check. I'm not sure if it does after the Arena though.

Dragons are better mages, period. Yes, they take up two slots but I'm pretty sure do WAY more work than 2 mages would. I'm not sure how random that stuff is but I've found about half my dragons between missions and half during.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Dragons do slightly less damage in a worse area than tier 3 mages and have slightly worse status effects in exchange for being able to attack twice, tons more HP and once you get Riders the best movement type in the game.

Mages can be more useful for an alpha strike squad against really dangerous enemies once you get the upgrade that lets them cast immediately in battle, just because Daze on Sorceress is useful and Fire/Thunder Mages have way better AoE than Dragons. For everything else Dragons are pretty much better though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zore posted:

Dragons do slightly less damage in a worse area than tier 3 mages and have slightly worse status effects in exchange for being able to attack twice, tons more HP and once you get Riders the best movement type in the game.

Mages can be more useful for an alpha strike squad against really dangerous enemies once you get the upgrade that lets them cast immediately in battle, just because Daze on Sorceress is useful and Fire/Thunder Mages have way better AoE than Dragons. For everything else Dragons are pretty much better though.

That's interesting. I'll have to play around with that - I'm fairly sure I don't have that ability. I have a few mages scattered throughout units and often wish I had a stronger unit there, outside of (story spoilers) Beatrix. I guess Mages don't take really rare resources like gunners do - Lysander's squad has 5 gunners and with the top tier upgrade that lets them attack twice, I'm not sure anything else can match that damage. They aren't tanky like dragons are and really suffer on counterattacks unless you have something to mitigate them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Levantine posted:

That's interesting. I'll have to play around with that - I'm fairly sure I don't have that ability. I have a few mages scattered throughout units and often wish I had a stronger unit there, outside of (story spoilers) Beatrix. I guess Mages don't take really rare resources like gunners do - Lysander's squad has 5 gunners and with the top tier upgrade that lets them attack twice, I'm not sure anything else can match that damage. They aren't tanky like dragons are and really suffer on counterattacks unless you have something to mitigate them.

Yeah, the mage attack thing is in the tier 3 perks in the left tree. Makes a huge difference in using them and makes them amazing at alpha striking because their status effects can actually come into play. Still weak on defense though. There are also a ton of mage uniques that come with some pretty absurd stats I recommend grabbing if you see them, mostly because they're hilariously OP. Not quite on spoiler level but still real good.

Conversely I haven't bothered going hard for gun stuff yet because I just don't have enough resources to make enough gunners. I have like 8 total spread throughout my squads with 2 Artillery in a dedicated 'gently caress you from range' unit, 4 guns for Lysander and two others in random units.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 13, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

You can savescum the town shop using the end of chapter autosaves if you want to fish for a unique recruit or arena tokens.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The unique mercs are probably the best part about this game. Makes playthroughs really variable in a cool way. Like my favorite I got started out as an apprentice mage but has a trait that increases exp, cp, and ldr gain and another one that makes force surrender more effective. So basically he ended up being real good at like mopping up after other units and then getting increase gain from doing that and now he is a fire mage and I put on the trait that increases hp with magic.

So its neat to hear about like, what the other uniques are that people run in or if I start like a new game I might not run into the same guy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
But yeah I'm interested in what kinds of squad setups people have. These are mine for reference just after Chapter 20 before I start any of the sidequests. Spoiling for Chapter 20 character spoilers

I do need some more assassins for Raskuja, I really like how Stefan's squad is working out. Abigayle is like one dragon away from being what I think is the strongest Alpha strike squad in the game which is gonna rule.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
This is mine so far:

I try to stick to 12 groups as much as I can since that's max deployment as far as I can tell. I broke down some of my non-story character groups and moved some of the very loyal characters into other squads.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

My squads circa Ch 22 (character spoilers):

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Got the climbing gear artifact last night and stuck it on Raskuja’s squad of assassins and skirmishers and my god no archer is safe.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly, I have a few of those and almost never use them because mages/dragons/guns are usually able to do the job. Anything that doesn't rely on melee attacks can attack up a wall, even if they can only attack adjacent squares on the map.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm doing the sidequests post-Ch2 and so far the only mission that has given me any sort of difficulty was the one sidequest where you start in a swamp and there's a bunch of ambushing jerks. But so far the rest of the game has been my main squads being like double the threat of the enemy squads, to the extent that there's no real challenge (on Captain difficulty). Like my MC, Diana, and Abigayle's squads just permatank everything and delete whole squads, and I don't think I'm doing anything special with them. I kinda wish there was a difficulty slider in this game.

Also glad that one of the sidequests gave Sybil a boost, but I wanted one to give Jules a different affinity. Or make him a magic archer or something, I dunno!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I kinda wish there was a difficulty slider in this game.

One of the things the dev is supposed to be looking into adding post-launch is more difficulty settings.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zurai posted:

Honestly, I have a few of those and almost never use them because mages/dragons/guns are usually able to do the job. Anything that doesn't rely on melee attacks can attack up a wall, even if they can only attack adjacent squares on the map.

They do it at a penalty though. I think at the very least it's a hit penalty. Having a wall climber or two is pretty solid on certain maps.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Levantine posted:

They do it at a penalty though. I think at the very least it's a hit penalty.

Its also a damage penalty. There is a relic that removes the penalty for bow attacks into forts/walls/forrests.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
spent most of the weekend playing this game and ive been loving it. one good strategy a lot of the beta players on the discord were talking about is the use of bait/tank squads where you use a squad of mostly healers w/ one or 2 tank units (valk or paladin work best bc of the tech that reduces healer damage while they are in the group) in order to keep their threat rating as low as possible. enemy AI will always prioritize the lowest threat group within range. best used in woods/town squares in conjunction with a glass cannon ambush squad. ALSO found an artifact which lets any squad ambush which i stuck on my 6 heavy cav squad which just deletes everything when they pull it off.

ambush is really powerful in general but can be hard to use properly, the game doesnt do the best job explaining it but only the ambush capable squad has to start its turn inside the ambush terrain (woods/towns/swamp etc) i didnt realize at first that the target does not have to be and can be ambushed if it is either inside or adjacent to the terrain

honestly though the game on the normal difficulty is pretty easy so sending paladin mommy in to smash everything seems to be a good strategy too

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also are there multiple different character romances that can pop up? So far I've only seen options for MC/Abigayle, Diana/Stefan and Sybil/Barnabas which I haven't locked in because I've been waiting to see if anything more interesting crops up and the bond screen implies it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Levantine posted:

They do it at a penalty though. I think at the very least it's a hit penalty. Having a wall climber or two is pretty solid on certain maps.

Zore posted:

Its also a damage penalty. There is a relic that removes the penalty for bow attacks into forts/walls/forrests.

The penalty isn't big enough to prevent a squad of mages or dragons from rendering a squad of squishy archers combat ineffective (and vulnerable to surrendering). Gunners and Dragoons have a harder time because they only get a single, non-AOE shot until you get the top-tier tech to give them a second.

Zore posted:

Also are there multiple different character romances that can pop up? So far I've only seen options for MC/Abigayle, Diana/Stefan and Sybil/Barnabas which I haven't locked in because I've been waiting to see if anything more interesting crops up and the bond screen implies it.

There are. I have two different romance options available for Stefan right now.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 13, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Anyone have tips for catching up leaders who are lagging behind? Like Sibyl in my game is stuck 20+ Leadership behind everyone else and because of that I can't put enough good units in her squad to gain appreciable experience/leadership on them. I'm using her to cap mines and stuff now but :shrug:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

From my experience so far you just gotta focus on capturing objectives with them. It’s a big ol’ pain without repeatable missions in yet.

I really love the game but it’s kind of despite LDR and its associated mechanics.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

With repeatable/random missions I'd be fine with it, but yeah it's kind of annoying. I'm only on chapter 12 now so maybe I'll restart and do a better job of spreading the experience around now that I know what to expect.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Anyone have tips for catching up leaders who are lagging behind? Like Sibyl in my game is stuck 20+ Leadership behind everyone else and because of that I can't put enough good units in her squad to gain appreciable experience/leadership on them. I'm using her to cap mines and stuff now but :shrug:

Capture objectives and have them survive combat. For units who will let you disband their squads (some story characters won't), you can also shove them in Barnabas's squad.

For Sybil in specific (late-mid game spoilers): Once you hit Chapter 20, some side missions will open up. One of them gives Sybil the ability to promote into the melee line and a big bump in leadership.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Patch 1.01a is out
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1488200/view/3353506719980511200

quote:

Full Screen "black screen" issue addressed
Challenge missions should no longer “stick” when restarting a mission
Adjusted the Turn Limit number display to correctly reflect the threshold for S Rank (actual limits not changed)
Corrected an issue where “Form New Squad” would not immediately be available after disbanding a squad
Fixed a rare crash caused by mouse double click check in and out of the game client

Gameplay
Hospitallers can now lead squads
Disarm no longer breaks certain abilities
Chapter 3 Recruits will now appear in the next home base rather than having to wait a couple missions to get them
The Challenge Mission to spare Isanter Cavalry Squads in Chapter 9 has been changed from 2 to 4
Removed “cancel cavalry movement” property from all apprentice and siren class variants
Chapter 30 generic enemies can no longer surrender
Adjusted some character portraits that were covering text
Players are now able to skip base conversations
Chapter 10's mapping has been made more friendly to the player intending to reinforce Isanter
Added 2 medics to Isanter's defending Squads on Chapter 10
Magician classes no longer disable Cavalry movement
Fixed looping defeat trigger on Chapter 20C
The Challenge Mission to avoid killing a squad with Zelos in Chapter 1 has been removed
Chapter 1 tutorials updated for clarity
Fixed incorrect deploy tiles for Chapter 20B
Various updates to the Tutorial section
Various typo fixes
You can now gain more than 20 XP and CP codexes
Fixed Devoa and Diana Bond support

UI/UX
Backspace is now a universal cancel input
You can now type characters a-Z into the name input window with your keyboard
LBumper and RBumper functions for controllers have been corrected. (They can be used to cycle player squads on the tactical map, page up and page down in menus)

Future plans:
Renaming Squads
Renaming Units
Major UI/UX pass for reducing clicks, drag and drop, and more
Sandbox game modes such as post game EX final boss fight
Replayable past missions or some kind of barracks training mode
Permadeath and Ironman mode as options for any difficulty
New, highest difficulty with hardest possible options locked in, crueler AI
Enforced Ironman save rules

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
For people further in, I know each version of the MC has one romance option that is gay, but do any of the side characters get gay options with people other than the MC?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

" Adjusted the Turn Limit number display to correctly reflect the threshold for S Rank (actual limits not changed)"

This is good because the Jailbreak mission required 11+ turns and it was saying 10 turns originally. You could still S rank it regardless, but seeing that "failure" was annoying. Same with the Zelos mission on the first stage that was just outright bugged since I restarted it and never had him fight but it still failed.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Does this have old school Fire Emblem growth rates or something more reliable?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

From a quick check online, it looks like there's only 1 tier 4 class, dragon rider? Or are there others but they're endgame/spoiler stuff?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Thank god they changed that chapter 9 challenge because goddamn are those guys terrible and just throw themselves into that meat grinder to fail you out of spite.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

From a quick check online, it looks like there's only 1 tier 4 class, dragon rider? Or are there others but they're endgame/spoiler stuff?

That's correct. And honestly they're more of a sidegrade than a straight upgrade, they cost a bunch of extra materials with no stat increases. But in exchange they can lead squads and give the best movement type in the game if they're the majority of your squad.

Cynic Jester posted:

Does this have old school Fire Emblem growth rates or something more reliable?

Completely different. Growths are based on class and element with element making up a huge chunk. Which basically boils down to 'don't hire Water physical units or non-Water/Dark Magic ones. You can change unit element with scrolls but they're semi-rare.

The only other thing is there are some unique mercs with better than average stats

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Bussamove posted:

Thank god they changed that chapter 9 challenge because goddamn are those guys terrible and just throw themselves into that meat grinder to fail you out of spite.

They fixed the chapter 10 challenge by buffing the allied defense units too because prepatch you had to Shuffle slingshot someone down there to bait the enemy away from the walls

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I wonder how you're legitimately supposed to get the achievement for Chapter 12. I assume by doing some hardcore AI manipulation. You can probably surround yourself with depleted enemy archers that plink you and leave exactly one spot open for the all the gun guys to slowly get whittled down. Sounds kind of miserable though

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
This game looks very Bahamut Lagoon and i'm all for it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

:hmmyes:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hope this game sells gangbusters so they can make a sequel with an actual portrait artist

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I hope this game sells gangbusters so they can make a sequel with an actual portrait artist

yeah I don't follow the RPG thread regularly so this is my first impression of the game and man they really put all the art budget into sprites huh

anyway will try it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zore posted:

I wonder how you're legitimately supposed to get the achievement for Chapter 12. I assume by doing some hardcore AI manipulation. You can probably surround yourself with depleted enemy archers that plink you and leave exactly one spot open for the all the gun guys to slowly get whittled down. Sounds kind of miserable though

I didn't even bother tbh. Guns at that stage are just a killer and the dance I'd have to do for that achievement just didn't feel worth it. Maybe on the eventual NG+ playthrough.