Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

The pink hearts we see Sonic picking up in these videos are [checks notes] Amy's memories? Okay?

Source: https://www.fanbyte.com/features/i-dont-really-understand-what-sonic-frontiers-wants-to-be/

quote:

The problem with this mechanic is that Sonic runs just agonizingly slow while doing it. I imagine this is so you can accurately close the circle in a pinch, but an upgrade in the skill tree lets you do it faster. If that’s the case, I wonder, why is it ever slower at all? Why is the more fun control a skill that I have to spend points to unlock?

oh god they they did "make the game feel good to play and then disembowel it to create your upgrade tree" didn't they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fedule posted:

The pink hearts we see Sonic picking up in these videos are [checks notes] Amy's memories? Okay?

Source: https://www.fanbyte.com/features/i-dont-really-understand-what-sonic-frontiers-wants-to-be/

is this supposed to sound bad

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Looper posted:

he's right and he shouldn't be afraid to say it

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Fedule posted:

lol it unironically owns just how much they're cribbing from breath of the wild and i'm here for it

Pigbuster posted:

oh god they they did "make the game feel good to play and then disembowel it to create your upgrade tree" didn't they

make beliefs reborn

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fawf posted:

lol it unironically owns just how much they're cribbing from breath of the wild and i'm here for it

make beliefs reborn

Hopefully Sonic will also be able to shoot himself into the final boss by abusing a bunch of jank physics.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Looper posted:

is this supposed to sound bad

My framing isn't supposed to indicate a judgement other than that this is maybe a weird way for people to be finding this out, in offhand comments from journalists who played a demo that was in the already-weird position of being out on a convention floor but with filming prohibited and the aura of secrecy everywhere.

Fanbyte's framing I can't speak to.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

huh, I wonder who's job it is to prevent that from happening. what a mystery.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

My framing isn't supposed to indicate a judgement other than that this is maybe a weird way for people to be finding this out, in offhand comments from journalists who played a demo that was in the already-weird position of being out on a convention floor but with filming prohibited and the aura of secrecy everywhere.

Fanbyte's framing I can't speak to.

Yknow it is kinda bizarre that we haven't gotten any kind of story info from Sega yet. Most games tell everyone at least a basic synopsis early on.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Pigbuster posted:

Sonic's standard running speed is actually the one thing that feels right to me in these gameplay videos. This is probably a Hot Take but he's just too dang fast in all the boost games. Compare that to the 2D games where the pace is generally not that much faster than Mario. Now they just need to make him go faster downhill and slower uphill in the next game and we'll be one step closer to a good 3D Sonic game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i have decided that frontiers will be good and you are all haters

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
it will be goty

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Honestly hating on it is for good reason. I can think of a ton of things they could show or reveal to raise hopes but they've done literally none of that and have only shown off the same somewhat bland looking forest area. Combat doesn't even seem that bad, if a bit simple, and would be perfectly fine so long as their boss puzzle mechanics don't make it insanely frustrating to pull off. I've probably seen that same massive tower in every single Frontiers video like it's the only perfectly functional area where you don't fly off into the abyss the moment you miss a homing attack.

The constant "well it's an open adventure game, not a real open world" does a lot to really make it seem like they're going to completely gently caress up the landing by not having learned or understood anything about what made open world games successful.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The less its like an open world game the better imo.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
it should be open world and have a crafting system

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sonic’s shoes and gloves have durability and you’ll have to wear a cool scarf in the ice zone or you’ll freeze, the scarf also has durability

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
350 different chili recipes
1 hot dog recipe

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
'oh it's not "open world" it's "open zone"' come on, man, this doesn't mean anything and if there's some specific definition or connotation of "open zone" you expect us to know then why in the christ did you not lead with that in your controlled world premiere event in partnership with a huge game journalism outlet

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sonic Adventure was exactly as open a world as I want. I can wander around and talk to people and if I really want to I can glitch into levels I'm not supposed to be in yet with characters that aren't ever supposed to be there

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Firm belief that Sonic will pull through. The footage showed an essentially reskinned clock tower section from Generations. And that game was good. Hell, if they can just build an entire rest of the game around it as good as Generations, we'll have nothing to fear.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've got it figured out:

a) sonic is dead and this is the afterlife, "what dreams may come" style
b) they're not delaying because it's going gaas

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it should be open world and have a crafting system

I disagree.

Unless it’s only for chili dogs.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should add fashion to the game so you can dress Sonic up in stupid outfits

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hatty posted:

They should add fashion to the game so you can dress Sonic up in stupid outfits

Bring back the SOAP shoes

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Hikaki posted:

Sonic's standard running speed is actually the one thing that feels right to me in these gameplay videos. This is probably a Hot Take but he's just too dang fast in all the boost games. Compare that to the 2D games where the pace is generally not that much faster than Mario. Now they just need to make him go faster downhill and slower uphill in the next game and we'll be one step closer to a good 3D Sonic game.

The character can run at the speed of sound. Minor changes in elevation shouldn't meaningfully alter his speed.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Shadowlyger posted:

The character can run at the speed of sound. Minor changes in elevation shouldn't meaningfully alter his speed.

You see, that's where you're wrong. It is known canon that Sonic can only roll around at the speed of sound.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shadowlyger posted:

yeah and also he should overheat and die from moving his legs that fast

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

actually at supersonic speeds even the slightest change in elevation would drastically alter his trajectory and send him flying into the sky and to his death

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 14, 2022

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

That new preview is way better than the ign one. Weird that they seemed to have disabled the music. The people who complained about sonics friends are dumbasses, you should be able to play as big and fish again, or have platforming sections that can only be done with knuckles.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I do think this concept would be way better / more fun with momentum. The latest Sonic games lacking that is why I think a lot of them have felt particularly off.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

*Principal Skinner am I out of touch meme.gif*

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

that looks a lot less jank, and a lot more fun!

i am absolutely baffled why Sega didnt show footage from whatever build this is lol.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The animations look far less stilted than the older footage and I really like the way the running seems to handle, which is also helped by the person playing seeming a lot more sure of themselves. There's probably some really good modding potential here as well. It's no wonder they're hiring a new marketing manager.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Look I support any and all relentless unflinching optimism towards Sonic, but I draw the line at agreeing with Takashi Iizuka.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Link to new footage? I just see the exact same handful of scenes that every publication has been looping all week.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Augus posted:

i have decided that frontiers will be good and you are all haters

IMHO the haters just don't understand the new format yet

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm so hyped for Sonic Frontiers....video essays about how everything went wrong behind the scenes that will drop like 5 years from now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

God bless Sonic Team for having the perfect Sonic game placed on their lap with Mania and them refusing to take any lessons at all from it and plowing on with making an embarrassing BOTW tribute

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

No Dignity posted:

God bless Sonic Team for having the perfect Sonic game placed on their lap with Mania and them refusing to take any lessons at all from it and plowing on with making an embarrassing BOTW tribute

What lesson could they have learned from Mania that would have helped them in this situation? They're not just gonna make nothing but 2D Sonic games forever.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not entirely convinced that Sonic Team are allowed contact with the outside world. Iizuka occasionally emerges to make deranged pronouncements, other than that it's a game development bunker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MJeff posted:

What lesson could they have learned from Mania that would have helped them in this situation? They're not just gonna make nothing but 2D Sonic games forever.

Why not? It works for Nintendo still. But even if not, they could be trying to systemise that type of gameplay and level design in 3D rather than shooting off ineptly chasing an entirely different gameplay trend instead, that's a brutal lack of confidence in your series own gameplay principles