Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Martian Manfucker posted:

Were they really just door knobs? The impression I got was that they removed fancy card/badge reading door handles, not just regular old door knobs. Makes more sense to me that way, at least.

Linus mentioned in the WAN show that they were security door handles, but it seemed like they were the non-smart mechanical kind where you punch in a code to unlock them. Now, if the previous tenant went out of business, could they find anyone who knows the codes so they can pass it on to the new tenant? If they moved to a new location, might be an annoyance to find the person with the codes. Or (what I think happened), they installed them and wanted to take them with. However not replacing them with some sort of handle is just dumb.

Them taking the paper towel dispensers though? No-touch ones they just bought maybe and wanted to take with to new location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

namlosh posted:

Agreed, Dave’s pretty awesome

It’s hard not to get jealous of both him and CuriousMarc… they both seem to be living their best life.

Very glad they don’t seem to be shitheads

Opposite end of iJustine. Occasionally her videos get suggested to me for products that I have some interest in and I can't believe my level of regret for clicking on them. Is her audience exclusively dim incel stalkers?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Three Olives posted:

Opposite end of iJustine. Occasionally her videos get suggested to me for products that I have some interest in and I can't believe my level of regret for clicking on them. Is her audience exclusively dim incel stalkers?

She's into crypto so yes.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Does anyone else here follow Dave's Garage? He seems nice enough and gets into interesting and esoteric topics.

I find his channel very relaxing to watch, it's just a dude who's clearly incredibly knowledgable about his subject area talking through a random thing that he's either been asked about or that piqued his interest that day

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGgafqmq7IE

I spent this whole video making a face

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

PLATITUM

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Nice post/av combo

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The messing around with that jerryrigged poo poo while powered up...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm in this picture and I don't like it - my tummy (and the rest of me) is very platin, because of the cisplatin chemo I had 6 years (and change) ago.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Lol, Linus spent thousands of dollars on hundreds of smart switches for his new mansion and they don't work :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkAiXzKOTNY

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Considering he set out to have it all work with Home Assistant I'm not sure why he didn't just seek out components that all ran Tasmota and properly nerd out on it.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
does it at least support the matter iot standard?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Considering he set out to have it all work with Home Assistant I'm not sure why he didn't just seek out components that all ran Tasmota and properly nerd out on it.
Well, according to this thread he's an absolute mastermind who never ever does any fuckup and instead always does completely stupid stuff with very careful planning so that he can make videos about it.
So really, :iiam:

mewse
May 2, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Well, according to this thread he's an absolute mastermind who never ever does any fuckup and instead always does completely stupid stuff with very careful planning so that he can make videos about it.
So really, :iiam:

Wrote this exact post and deleted it, lol. Linus is the puppetmaster

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think maybe his issue is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know, so is trying to do everything with off-the-shelf DIY friendly components. High end homes use DALI addressable lighting fixtures and racks of Lutron controllers with the remote switches all hard wired.

Edit: Ah cool he's being a dickhead to people who work in call centres

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 13, 2022

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

There's a bit in that video when Speccy Tash says *there's a three way in here" and I was disappointed that Mrs Linus wasn't there too. It would have fitted perfectly with the recent thread fanfic

That video is infuriating. Firmware for light bulbs? What the gently caress.

He's a loving prick to that poor bastard on the phone, I'm glad he is pissed off.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 13, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Thanks Ants posted:

I haven't watched the video above, but the Wan show clip I saw he said he was just too busy to do a lot of testing and comparison and went with an off the shelf solution. Paraphrasing based on my memory, should find clip if you want exactly what he said.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Adolf Glitter posted:

Hey, be fair, it was firmware for light switches :v:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Research? Before spending $10,000 on light switches?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
When I saw "thousands on switches" I thought network switches, but you're telling me he spent ten thousand dollars on light switches?! :psyduck:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've replaced all the Wi-Fi switches running various types of Tuya software that were in the house my sister moved into with normal switches, total cost to do the whole house including putting dimmers where there weren't dimmers before was about £200. I have less than zero desire to connect basic functionality like being able to use a room at night to the Internet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

all so he can have lights magically turn on when he enters a room instead of just flipping a loving switch

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I can do that with my £15 lightbulb and phone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

When I saw "thousands on switches" I thought network switches, but you're telling me he spent ten thousand dollars on light switches?! :psyduck:
Yeah, I don't get it.

The premium brand here in my country asks like 60€ a pop for a Zigbee single switch. A double switch is five bux more. "Thousands" is a lot of switches. The gently caress?!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, I don't get it.

The premium brand here in my country asks like 60€ a pop for a Zigbee single switch. A double switch is five bux more. "Thousands" is a lot of switches. The gently caress?!

He's using fancier switches with built-in motion sensors. And he's using them for every switch in his house.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling
Those other dudes who have bought huge mansions off of their youtube money through their prank/eating challenge/bro-ing out channels should come to linus' tech brain mansion to give him a wedgie and then push him into a locker

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I worked in a "green" office building that had lighting controlled by smart switches like that. We all joked that the building was a ploy by the oil lobby because the lights everywhere would just randomly turn on and off.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He's using fancier switches with built-in motion sensors. And he's using them for every switch in his house.

spending $10k so I can wave my arms every 15 minutes when my motion sensor switch thinks the room is empty

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If you want that and have a brain too hire a Lutron integrator and write them a fat check and then enjoy it without any further worrying.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

If you want that and have a brain too hire a Lutron integrator and write them a fat check and then enjoy it without any further worrying.

Yeah, I get his issue with Caseta, they do feel cheap, unfortunately we have no neutral so that is basically are only option. But everything he is trying to do in capabilities, scale and cost is more than covered by Lutron RA2 and RA2 plugs into Home Assistant, there is just no excuse.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Question, especially for the Americans: is it just me or is LTT becoming even more Canadian? Like "give 'r" is kind of slipping into every video I feel.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Actually it seems like Linus has been toning down his accent over the years. I'd have to watch an older video to be sure though.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Actually it seems like Linus has been toning down his accent over the years. I'd have to watch an older video to be sure though.

sometimes he even forgets to pronounce it "zed"

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Adolf Glitter posted:

Welcome to zigbee smart home, thankfully hue doesn't update very often.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Arivia posted:

Question, especially for the Americans: is it just me or is LTT becoming even more Canadian? Like "give 'r" is kind of slipping into every video I feel.

Anthony and Alex have really strong accents. I’m Australian and those two stick out as less-america-adjacent.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Just watched the LTT video of the new property. They come across as very inexperienced and naive.
Not totally surprised I guess, but it's funny that they don't realise they look like they just yolo'd a massive purchase.

It's better than my massive warehouse and successful channel I guess

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Just how much money are they making/hemorrhaging holy poo poo

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Adolf Glitter posted:

Just watched the LTT video of the new property. They come across as very inexperienced and naive.
Not totally surprised I guess, but it's funny that they don't realise they look like they just yolo'd a massive purchase.

It's better than my massive warehouse and successful channel I guess

What do you think the odds are that they even hired an inspector? Though I guess given how insane real estate is lately that may have not even been an option, but it feels like they didn't even have somebody going "make sure you check for X".

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Their naivety is what generates them content and makes them very successful. They're making millions on entertaining people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I'd say they desperately need an actual CEO, but a former our supplier was owned by an idiot that grew a small business into multi-million dollar company with hundreds of employees and ran through a series of professional CEOs that he drove off by meddling and micromanaging, I figure Linus would be the same.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 14, 2022