Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Omerta posted:

I played my home course from the tips today—7330ish—with U.S. Open Sectional pins and shot 84. Probably had a good shot at breaking 80 but completely ran out of gas around 14. It was way hot and I didn’t eat anything besides a protein bar.

View from the first of the two 600+ yard par 5s on the back, which had about a 250 carry to the fairway.

My problem with playing 7000+ is always fatigue. I feel like I have to get my drives to similar approaches as my normal tees, instead of justing hitting 8i in.

Today, I kept my slow 4 ball moving by the simple expedient of upping my normal routine of carefully watching the other players balls and hauling rear end to find them. We had three holes in a row of looking for more than three balls during the play, and I just said gently caress it and landmarked every ball and tracked them down. We were back on a nice, healthy pace and finished nicely. And they played better, too. Watching bad golfers just lose the desire to play when they're dropping ball after ball hurts everyone's round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I played yesterday with a friend and his buddy who tops the ball every other shot. It was a slow and painful round. I've had the tops before and you aren't even playing golf at that point, it's just slow torture.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Has anyone played Blue Hill in Pearl River NY before? Thinking of playing there next weekend while in the area for a wedding, unsure which of the courses are the best.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hahahaha I love Rory. https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1536108145398927360

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Dr. Capco posted:

I played yesterday with a friend and his buddy who tops the ball every other shot. It was a slow and painful round. I've had the tops before and you aren't even playing golf at that point, it's just slow torture.

Been there, on both sides. If I can't fight my way out, I'll pick it up and try the next hole. Last full round, my buddy hit three shots in a row off the tee into the water 20 yards in front. It was painful.

Somehow he carded a 5 on that hole....

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I paid over a grand to have the tops all through my Scotland golf rounds so I have immense sympathy for anybody topping it all the time :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: U.S. Open thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004460 :siren:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
18 yesterday, last 6 85+ degrees. 18 today, 85+ from 6-11, 90+ last 7, 101 when I got to my car. Surprisingly, I had nothing in the tank for the last three holes.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

That's my fear this weekend. Playing a walking 9 at noon on Friday, 18 at 11 on Sunday, 9 more on Monday (time tbd). In central Florida.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Omne posted:

That's my fear this weekend. Playing a walking 9 at noon on Friday, 18 at 11 on Sunday, 9 more on Monday (time tbd). In central Florida.

drat. At least I'm in the Denver area so humidity was low. I'm from Titusville, and visits there now almost drown me in humidity.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Forecast for my league tee off tomorrow is 0% cloud cover, 98*, feels like 116*.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omne posted:

Lol you’re going to melt. But seriously, water water water and then more water. You are playing at basically the hottest parts of the day and it’s going to be loving brutal this weekend. I’ve got 18 on both sat and sun and maybe even Friday if I can sneak outta work early.

Where you playing?

I’ve got Grand Cypress New on sat, Eagle Creek Sunday and if I can get out Legacy club Friday.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Playing golf in the summer in Florida is suicide.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Omne posted:

You’re gonna die.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Anyone know a good online resource for course management, or even a book that you could recommend? Family stuff is keeping m away from the golf course for a while and I'd like to work on some of that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

Playing golf in the summer in Florida is suicide.

You get used to it after a few summers. I've done 36 in the middle of summer before, start early, stop for some lunch and rest then get back out, hydrate hydrate hydrate and it's all good!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
When playing in hot conditions make sure you don't take too many practice swings. Swingin the golf club is hard work, and swinging it half (or a third, for some people) as many times as normal will save you a lot of energy over the course of 18 holes!!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
take zero practice shots :smugdog:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lotta bitching about having to walk a for few hours in the sun.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Lotta bitching about having to walk a for few hours in the sun.

lol you think people walk courses in central florida.....no one walks in central florida

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Just makes the :qq: about heat even dumber.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Just makes the :qq: about heat even dumber.

I mean it's still being physical in extreme heat for 4+ hours.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Drink water and don't be a fat gently caress and you'll be fine.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Drink water and don't be a fat gently caress and you'll be fine.

lol this you?

Shrapnig posted:

I haven't played in almost a month and I couldn't be happier. I'm not currently missing golf at all.

I'm sure I'll get the bug again but between not playing well recently and it being 90*F with 278% humidity every day I'm enjoying the time away.

90 would be a cool day in the summer here lol

And look, I'll play everyday in the summer, the heat doesn't bother me, but it can be a concern for some people.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thanks for finding a quote from when I wasn't playing I guess? What a waste of time that was for you.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Thanks for finding a quote from when I wasn't playing I guess? What a waste of time that was for you.

I mean it sounds like you were glad you weren't playing because it was so hot, unless I read that wrong, which directly relates to you more or less telling people to suck it up and play even though it's incredibly hot.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

I'm not owned, you're owned!

Matt's right. I used to live in Houston, which is similar weather except slightly hotter. You're miserable five minutes into being outside, let alone four hours.

Of course now that I'm in Portland I think 80 is very hot now so whatever tolerance I built up has completely evaporated.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Playing 36 on Friday, one of which is Diamond Springs which was in the latest season of Tourist Sauce! Then going to the Meijer Classic LPGA event on Saturday/Sunday which I just saw is kind of a stacked field. 18 of the top 25? Hell. Yes.

Downside, is that obviously I'll miss watching the Mens US Open haha.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
As a walker in Texas, I poo poo and also pishaw you cart drivers

But also, whatever, I don't care, just don't play loud rear end music without asking first

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Nice meltdown

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ElGroucho posted:

As a walker in Texas, I poo poo and also pishaw you cart drivers

But also, whatever, I don't care, just don't play loud rear end music without asking first

Cart guy here, mostly. Please God, do not play your music loud enough to be heard at the tee.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

mattfl posted:

Lol you’re going to melt. But seriously, water water water and then more water. You are playing at basically the hottest parts of the day and it’s going to be loving brutal this weekend. I’ve got 18 on both sat and sun and maybe even Friday if I can sneak outta work early.

Where you playing?

I’ve got Grand Cypress New on sat, Eagle Creek Sunday and if I can get out Legacy club Friday.

Yeah I've already started hydrating. Disney Oak Trail on Friday, OCN-Crooked Cat on Sunday, and likely Celebration on Monday. The walking 9 on Friday will be the worst. Maybe I should invest in an umbrella for my push cart.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Here in Norcal in the heat I love drinking gallons of water (once I run out because, well, it would be impossible to actually carry enough loving water) out of the filthy, pathogen infested, tepid and sparsely available course water jugs! The headaches start about hole 3 too! You might see a bev cart a few times or a turn stop if you want to spend $50 on Gatorade/Water but you better drink it fast as the cooler that maybe has ice in it on the cart only holds a few bottles.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 14, 2022

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Omne posted:

Yeah I've already started hydrating. Disney Oak Trail on Friday, OCN-Crooked Cat on Sunday, and likely Celebration on Monday. The walking 9 on Friday will be the worst. Maybe I should invest in an umbrella for my push cart.

Aren't the Disney courses famous for 5+ hour rounds as the norm? Yes, umbrella.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Aren't the Disney courses famous for 5+ hour rounds as the norm? Yes, umbrella.

Oak Trail is Disney's 9 hole course, so I pray to god it's not a 5 hour round there lol

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I've been watching Snooker but now I'm going to come back to Golf. Just picking up where I was on the 2nd Round of the last Open.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Petey posted:

take zero practice shots :smugdog:

You've only got a finite amount of good swings in you. Don't waste them on practice shots.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Oak Trail is Disney's 9 hole course, so I pray to god it's not a 5 hour round there lol

Good lord, no kidding.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I'm as much for LIV bashing as anyone but Rory's constant PGA Tour stanning is kind of uncomfortable to me as well

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Rapaport/status/1536700842207858688?t=Cne6OODKd7CpNglKbj-E9A&s=19

Edit: I get that he's maybe a bit biased especially when we won last week but I feel like he's been really bashing LIV whereas JT, for instance, has been more live and let live (no pun intended)

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Except LIV absolutely needs bashing so I'm with Rory.