Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

:yeah: This is the show that gave us feral karate girl, they aren't going to spend the last(?) season taking us through a realistic portrayal of the gat dang judicial system!

What's fun about our judicial system is that it is not actually any less ridiculous than anything that happens on Barry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Did anyone catch the audio that played over the title card? Sounded like an old football announcer, but I couldn't make out his words.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Did anyone catch the audio that played over the title card? Sounded like an old football announcer, but I couldn't make out his words.

I think that was the sound from the TV in Barry's apartment.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Well that was certainly an intense half hour of television.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I think it might actually be the sports match that's playing in Moss' house at the climax, signalling the fateful moment that's coming Barry's way.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lurker2006 posted:

So I've been kind of wondering how the show expects us to take Moss's dad. The only way it really makes sense to me is that's he's supposed to be a ridiculous contrast to the other hapless family members seeking revenge. Like just as a straight character I can't take him seriously at all but I feel the show actually intends him to be one? Feels like way too much of an asspull.

Moss is a person wronged by Barry out of many people wronged by Barry and him stepping in to stop Barry is the natural stopping point to a streak of what are essentially serial killing. It feels right and honestly a more honest and moral ending to something like this than 99 percent of TV shows and murders, bc cops never catch serial killers. Serial killers get themselves caught or the public actually has to actively stop them, like the mob that caught up to and stomped the Night Ripper.

Moss is the only capable person who fully sees Barry as what he is, a rabid animal that needs to be caught. And he caught him by letting Barry do what he naturally does, kill someone else to solve a problem.

Moss loving vanishing afterwards might be a natural ending point for his character as well bc that last shot said everything about what his life is going to be like now.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/ElsieKFisher/status/1536728569556127744?t=95nwGoid6wsq4_IgRFmRiA&s=19

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Shageletic posted:

Moss is a person wronged by Barry out of many people wronged by Barry and him stepping in to stop Barry is the natural stopping point to a streak of what are essentially serial killing. It feels right and honestly a more honest and moral ending to something like this than 99 percent of TV shows and murders, bc cops never catch serial killers. Serial killers get themselves caught or the public actually has to actively stop them, like the mob that caught up to and stomped the Night Ripper.

Moss is the only capable person who fully sees Barry as what he is, a rabid animal that needs to be caught. And he caught him by letting Barry do what he naturally does, kill someone else to solve a problem.

Moss loving vanishing afterwards might be a natural ending point for his character as well bc that last shot said everything about what his life is going to be like now.

I think it also plays into the themes of the season (of the work in general?). An eye for an eye has ended horribly for every character on this show. Moss just wants to see justice and Barry sent to jail/trial to answer for his crimes. The problem with the rest of the revenge army is that they want vengeance and blood to be repaid and they all suffer consequences for it - either fatal or comic misfortune.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Phenotype posted:

I am convinced that a shockingly high percentage of stuff in film that people see as symbolic and deep is really just "hey throw that in there it'll look neat" and then letting the public read all sorts of meaning into it and then saying "yep, that's what we meant all along."

Symbolism etc do not have to be intended to be present or interesting, though. Like this is the classic thing to say, "critics read too much into things and see art where it doesn't exist", but no. It's there. Doesn't matter if the author meant for it to be there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Look at that interview with Hitchcock and I think Truffaut. Whenever the latter would ask him about symbolism and meaning behind some shot or something Hitchcock would just say he did it because he liked it.

If you do something long enough and well enough the art comes in subconsciously as the conscious is busy free styling it and just finding the fun in it

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Thinking back on this season, I think the use of the many potential Barry-killers was perfect. Fuches set up all these possible assassins, but we just kept watching them fail, usually in humorous or ironic ways. After a few of those, you start to write off the threat, and think that he has to be safe now. After all, he escaped the mom with the gun, and the bikers, and the poison. But just as you get comfortable with the idea of all these assassins getting dispatched in weird ways, the last guy comes in and ruins Sally's life.

And Barry even escapes from that! So now he must finally be safe. Right? And then comes the final hammer. Perfect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wonder what's left of Hank's story at this point. I mean, LITERALLY everyone else in their circle, that we're aware of, is dead, save for Cristobal's kids.

Just let them be happy and in love, dammit!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

People can have story arcs not tied to romantic relationships. Hank likes being a gangster (for all the wrong reasons probably). I would expect him to try to rebuild that empire from scratch, without his support group, all while dealing with a PTSDed Cristobal.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

oh jay posted:

People can have story arcs not tied to romantic relationships. Hank likes being a gangster (for all the wrong reasons probably). I would expect him to try to rebuild that empire from scratch, without his support group, all while dealing with a PTSDed Cristobal.

I know it's not just about romantic relationships; Cristobal wasn't even really around in S1. I just meant, based on the mountain of poo poo they both just went through, they could either give up the gangster life, or likely run it successfully on their own.

Or, fuckin' make and sell beignets.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Ok, after collecting myself after last night, broad strokes and takeaways...

- I want to see if or how Albert factors in moving forward. I have to assume he is brought in as a character witness? Bigger question, will he throw Barry another lifeline if he is asked to provide testimony?

- I really can't wait to see what becomes of Hank and Cristobal. I hope they do abscond from Bolivia and take the beignet guy up on that offer.

- Prediction: I have a feeling Gene is going to decide he does actually love Barry like a son before it's all said and done. Yeah, Barry took the love of his life away, buuut, Barry also gave him the one thing he wanted more than anything else, a career revival.

- I am really still trying to get over how much of an emotional impact this season finale had on me. I haven't felt that anxious from an episode of TV before. Probably the closest to it I ever got was the series finale of Breaking Bad. Maybe. But I haven't seen that since it aired live, but I remember feeling pretty drained once it was over.

- Also, less bold prediction: I am pretty sure Barry doesn't spend much, if any, time in a jail cell. His case has been bungled so much already, on top of Fuches claiming responsibility for things. Add to that, the Chechens will probably have a hand in it somehow.

- Sally is the only character I don't have any sort of read on for what they might do now. I wasn't too shocked she went home, but as for what's next? No clue.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

fez_machine posted:

also lol if Hader isn't Catholic I'll eat my hat

Is there something Catholic about the writing in this show? I’m Catholic and I guess I didn’t see it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Moss subverting all expectations not once but twice by simply doing the right thing and allowing first Fuches and then Barry to incriminate themselves was just fantastic. He's not interested in killing these guys to avenge his daughter's death, just making them face justice which is itself absolutely what Janice probably would have wanted. The fact that once all is said and done he's still an old man living alone in a house with only the memory of his daughter is sad, but there is a sense of closure there for the viewer at least, and he does seem to take satisfaction at least in the moment that he did the right thing without compromising his morals or violating the memory of his daughter.

God, what a season.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

sponges posted:

Is there something Catholic about the writing in this show? I’m Catholic and I guess I didn’t see it

Not for the bulk of the show, but this season and especially the last episode is particularly focused on pain, redemption, forgiveness and non-romantic love. Barry howls in pain as he's forgiven by a man who should by all rights have no mercy for him.

It felt similar of other pieces of modern Catholic art like Sorceress's religious movies and the movies Mel Gibson directs.

Others have called out the beach scenes of people waiting for the afterlife as feeling particularly Catholic.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

fez_machine posted:

Not for the bulk of the show, but this season and especially the last episode is particularly focused on pain, redemption, forgiveness and non-romantic love. Barry howls in pain as he's forgiven by a man who should by all rights have no mercy for him.

It felt similar of other pieces of modern Catholic art like Sorceress's religious movies and the movies Mel Gibson directs.

Others have called out the beach scenes of people waiting for the afterlife as feeling particularly Catholic.

There's certainly a sense of pergatory in the beach scenes

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

fez_machine posted:

he was also treating that vision of the beach like a legit religious experience when he briefly talks about it

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

unlimited shrimp posted:

Spitballing but something that comes to mind is that the charges might not be too severe (relatively) depending on what can stick in court. Crime of passion, nobody was actually hurt, etc. He could plea out to lesser charges especially if the Hollywood PR machine starts spinning the PTSD/soldier angle. What hard evidence do they have on Barry to link him to any of the crimes? Would it all be testimony from people like Cousineau and Fuches?

The problem would be explaining Barry's motive for attempting to kill Jim and why it qualifies as a crime of passion. Gene was probably wearing a wire when he said "He knows you killed Janice. He knows everything."

ruddiger posted:

How did Albert find Barry?

He had probably been tailing him for a while. If the bikers could find Barry, it had to be pretty easy for an FBI agent.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It's also very much a TV show, so things like that I'm willing to hand wave away. They had karate fights and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Akhmal shows up next season in a sling having been bitten in the same spot by the panther.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Knowing how much Bill Hader loves true crime, I'm really interested in how the next season plays out. I can imagine it turning into a media circus as the extent of his crimes come out, with true crime podcasts and youtubers popping up to talk about this Hollywood actor who turned out to be a hitman/serial killer. It feels like a really natural extension of the satire of Hollywood already present in the show.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They should do a Seinfeld thing where every weird situation that has happened over the last three seasons is revisited.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

fez_machine posted:

I guess I don’t view all that as particularly Catholic. Protestants don’t eschew redemption and forgiveness to my knowledge.

I don’t want to cause a religious derail here so whatevs

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I'm not much of a believer in anything but that approaching ... whatever it was ... on the beach sounded incredibly terrifying

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I'm in the "Cristobal died in Hank's arms" camp. Gay mobster Romeo and Juliet having a happy ending would just be too unprecedented.

Edit: Unless I'm wrong and it's gay mobster The Odyssey. Hank gets his beloved back, but he has to kill the other suitors and all of his guys got eaten by a monster.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 15, 2022

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Me watching Hank listen to the other prisoners in the cell next to his

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

sponges posted:

I guess I don’t view all that as particularly Catholic. Protestants don’t eschew redemption and forgiveness to my knowledge.

hmmm it's almost like there's significant doctrinal differences. I mean it's not like people regarded those differences to be so important to their self-identity that they went to war based on them.

I wonder why the presentation of those elements in cultural work has varied depending on the intensity and type of religious background of an artist. Truly, there is no difference between faiths and sects and in fact "protestant guilt" is a well known and widely used phrase*.

*I don't actually think that there is in fact much difference between the types of guilt people actually feel but in culture self-perception matters and influences artistic works more than experienced reality.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I thought it was Cristobal in the other cell but I was very wrong.

Goddamn though - you just don't want it to end. Bill loving Hader is amazing? Like, I've always dug him, he was some of my favorite parts of SNL. And this is some explosive talent he's showcased here.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Alex Berg is also very good, and I miss the inside the episode clips at the end where he goes back and forth with Bill talking about the episode. With this season's interviews and press junkets, you'd think Bill was writing this show on his own.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Question that might be obvious - where is Albert's accent from? New York?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MaoistBanker posted:

Brooklyn maybe?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

I'm in the "Cristobal died in Hank's arms" camp. Gay mobster Romeo and Juliet having a happy ending would just be too unprecedented.

Edit: Unless I'm wrong and it's gay mobster The Odyssey. Hank gets his beloved back, but he has to kill the other suitors and all of his guys got eaten by a monster.

I think he will not end up dead, but both of them are too traumatized to ever carry on like they did before.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MaoistBanker posted:

Isn’t it kind of a Boston accent?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is extremely Brooklyn

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

If I have one complaint, it's not enough Albert.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Another Bill posted:

If I have one complaint, it's not enough Albert.

I imagine he will play a bigger role in season 4

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

I imagine he will play a bigger role in season 4

Personally, I don't believe we will ever see him again. He made his choice and his character's "journey" seems to be pretty well wrapped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

sounds like Brooklyn to me