Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

thunderbird has improved a bit, the calendar is built-in and seems to work without issue now. Not great but it'l always be a better option than electron.

Anyway that poo poo about there being 2 indistinguishable versions of teams reminded me that in windows 10/11 there are currently two apps called "Remote Desktop" that are functionally completely unrelated. The only way I have to tell one from another is the launch icon, and since I'm regularly using both, launching remote desktop from the keyboard has become a real chore because the start menu always picks the wrong one. also the new remote desktop for VDI is janky poo poo that fails all the time for no reason

i guess what i'm trying to say is that microsoft is still microsoft

e: goddamn the worst snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
11 is decent enough on a laptop but it's terrible on my desktop

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaggar posted:

looks like its at 20% of windows installs as of may which is way higher than i would have guessed

because they trick old people into updating

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

burning swine posted:

also the new remote desktop for VDI is janky poo poo that fails all the time for no reason

when it does this go into process explorer and kill msrdc.exe, then it will work
I'm not kidding

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

burning swine posted:

thunderbird has improved a bit, the calendar is built-in and seems to work without issue now. Not great but it'l always be a better option than electron.

Anyway that poo poo about there being 2 indistinguishable versions of teams reminded me that in windows 10/11 there are currently two apps called "Remote Desktop" that are functionally completely unrelated. The only way I have to tell one from another is the launch icon, and since I'm regularly using both, launching remote desktop from the keyboard has become a real chore because the start menu always picks the wrong one. also the new remote desktop for VDI is janky poo poo that fails all the time for no reason

i guess what i'm trying to say is that microsoft is still microsoft

e: goddamn the worst snipe

use rd tabs instead, op

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
i used rdcman when i was a windows server janitor instead of a code janitor

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
rdcman was discontinued for awhile so i ended up using rd tabs. i like it better than rdcman so i haven't gone back even though sysinternals revived rdcman vOv

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I like rdcman a lot, probably moreso now that it's been taken over by sysinternals. I use it for all my typical rdp stuff.

For VDI (azure-hosted virtual desktops), however, MS requires this dumb new client. normal RDP clients need not apply. This new "remote desktop" asks you to subscribe to a url provided by your employer, then pops some RDP links into its UI.

anyway I can't work currently because this happens when I click "subscribe". The error pops up before any opportunity to provide credentials

awww yeah

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

burning swine posted:

I like rdcman a lot, probably moreso now that it's been taken over by sysinternals. I use it for all my typical rdp stuff.

For VDI (azure-hosted virtual desktops), however, MS requires this dumb new client. normal RDP clients need not apply. This new "remote desktop" asks you to subscribe to a url provided by your employer, then pops some RDP links into its UI.

anyway I can't work currently because this happens when I click "subscribe". The error pops up before any opportunity to provide credentials

awww yeah

lmao, i really hate that every error in modern ms stuff is "Something went wrong"

just give me the inscrutable technobabble poo poo so i can solve it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao, i really hate that every error in modern ms stuff is "Something went wrong"

install linux

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

install linux

[nixonian muttering] jesus christ, bob, Something went wrong

mystes
May 31, 2006

burning swine posted:

awww yeah
That part is literally just an http endpoint and it just downloads a .rdp file and runs the rdp client on it like normal, but the actual client executable is modified because they changed the protocol slightly because of the way the rdp connection is proxied differently

You could try using the web version though; it's just slightly shittier and doesn't support extensions but almost nobody uses rdp client extensions.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 15, 2022

burning swine
May 26, 2004

yeah thats the workaround and it's sufficient
not like using the desktop app was much better

still, the daily battle against entropy on windows is really not going well

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

tazjin posted:

is there a thing where i can rent a windows vm ~in the cloud~ with excel preinstalled

I know nothing about microsoft things and so on but i need to edit a really complicated excel sheet which their web cloud excel completely chokes on (as does all other software i've tried)

you can do this with amazon workspaces, i use it for chunky excel sheets from time to time

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

someone has stolen your trees

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I thought windows touchers had moved away from rdp and used remote power shell and that server manager app these days

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ksoonson/status/1536938327395680256

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cowboy beepboop posted:

I thought windows touchers had moved away from rdp and used remote power shell and that server manager app these days

my school uses a cisco vpn and people rdp to their office computer to wfh. they do this across all departments. friend of mine works at the local pbs station that is technically part of the college and does wfh via rdp as well.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

i tried it on my home pc first because all i do on it is shitpost and listen to music and it's failing on the latter so i'm going back to my mac mini lol

i'm going to put off upgrading my work laptop as long as possible

another few days with 11 at home and it's shocking how janky it is. the only part i love is right clicking on the maximize button for moving windows around so i don't have to setup fancy zones in power tools

e: i could care less about the start menu changes. some things look better but are flaky. centering the icons is handy on ultra-wides. winget is nice but still missing a lot of stuff i need so i setup choco anyway. very meh, the star trek films windows version curse remains in effect

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the start menu is supremely bad in 11

the right click menus hiding the actual right click menu really piss me off too

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Beeftweeter posted:

i forgot about that. it's terrible and they need to just make it easy for users to edit them to hide/disable things that installers add to it instead.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i must report i finally installed the aforementioned explorer patcher and it does indeed solve all of those problems

i have the windows 11 taskbar but the start menu is rounded 10-style, plus context menus work the way they should

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
good to know there are options if i'm forced by work to upgrade vOv

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Gentle Autist posted:

you can do this with amazon workspaces, i use it for chunky excel sheets from time to time

i ended up using some dodgy proprietary linux software called "wps office" which i can only assume is based on a microsoft source leak, as it seems to be able to handle the full complexity of these insane file formats

i also ran it sandboxed and strace'd it on the first run and it was stat'ing things like `~/.local/keyrings` so, you know, be safe out there

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

tazjin posted:

i also ran it sandboxed and strace'd it on the first run and it was stat'ing things like `~/.local/keyrings` so, you know, be safe out there

ffffffff :stare:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

welp teams just stopped working. was fine on wednesday but now its not showing video (just grey). i have no idea if im visible on the other end either lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

welp teams just stopped working. was fine on wednesday but now its not showing video (just grey). i have no idea if im visible on the other end either lol

i use the high contrast theme in teams because it owns and they broke that as well. in the chats list it used to have the contact's name in yellow and most recent message snippet in white, now it's just all yellow. such a dogshit app lol

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
it’s really loving bad and all I can figure is because it’s using the worst technologies: share point and SIMPLE all packaged up to work on electron

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Beeftweeter posted:

This, the way I never get the menu I expect when clicking a tray icon and notifications randomly ignoring 'do not disturb' have led me to try a Linux as my main os, and I gotta say going from KDE back to W11, it's windows that feels jankier.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Hed posted:

it’s really loving bad and all I can figure is because it’s using the worst technologies: share point and SIMPLE all packaged up to work on electron

they need to get the vs code team to un-gently caress teams. they seem to be the only ones capable of making an electron desktop app that isn't absolute loving rear end (as i understand microsoft dog-fooding vs code is part of the reason why it doesn't totally suck but maybe that's an urban legend).

e: ofc there's no fixing the whole god drat "SPO as a backend" garbage.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

This, the way I never get the menu I expect when clicking a tray icon and notifications randomly ignoring 'do not disturb' have led me to try a Linux as my main os, and I gotta say going from KDE back to W11, it's windows that feels jankier.

was going to post about how annoying it is to interact with onedrive from the system tray but they've "fixed it" in the most unintuitive way possible. left-click shows the usual onedrive menu and right-click shows the same menu however the cog in the top-right of the menu also expands to reveal a menu atop the menu ahahah

edit: no wait it's actually fuckin worse. one right-click shows the regular menu and spawns a tool-tip below the cog then if you right-click again it expands the menu from the cog like what in the gently caress

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 19, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

e: ofc there's no fixing the whole god drat "SPO as a backend" garbage.
I could be wrong because this is just a baseless assumption on my part, but as horrifying as "sharepoint as a backend" is in general, I assume that with office 365 it's really more just like "sharepoint is another frontend to the same data" on the backend anyway? They still shouldn't integrate it with sharepoint because it makes everything about teams more complicated and dumb but I imagine that it's not like stuff in teams is breaking because it actually has to go through sharepoint apis or something

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

mystes posted:

I could be wrong because this is just a baseless assumption on my part, but as horrifying as "sharepoint as a backend" is in general, I assume that with office 365 it's really more just like "sharepoint is another frontend to the same data" on the backend anyway? They still shouldn't integrate it with sharepoint because it makes everything about teams more complicated and dumb but I imagine that it's not like stuff in teams is breaking because it actually has to go through sharepoint apis or something

yeah you're probably right. obviously they'd need proper teams endpoints to do RTSP stuff, amongst other things. in those cases if it is using SPO on the backend wouldnt be an issue.

honestly it's hard to tell what is breaking most of the time when the app acts up but im p sure a lot of it is on that electron front-end. that said i just did 4 days of 8 hour teams calls this week for training and it didn't explode. ofc i didn't try to do anything else on my laptop whilst in the calls, doubt thta would have ended well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

this is a really basic bitch but why the gently caress does it include the name and timestamp when I try to copy a snippet of text from a chat message.

nobody has ever wanted that part tagged onto their clipboard like it's an online encyclopedia website

plus it breaks paths and stuff

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
my fave is the way Teams will just add parameters to URLs that you click on, leading people to embed those parameters into our web pages.

or the way Sharepoint online has no way of just right clicking and opening links in new windows when in the page or document library, you gotta Get A Link instead, which then also has some janky rear end parameters randomly attached it them.

or the way Teams will just randomly reassign my audio device to some USB thing, instead of the headset I've been using for years.

thanks satya

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

my fave is the way Teams will just add parameters to URLs that you click on, leading people to embed those parameters into our web pages.

or the way Sharepoint online has no way of just right clicking and opening links in new windows when in the page or document library, you gotta Get A Link instead, which then also has some janky rear end parameters randomly attached it them.

or the way Teams will just randomly reassign my audio device to some USB thing, instead of the headset I've been using for years.

thanks satya

I do have to LOL whenever I see a link where the actual HREF is urldefense.proofpoint.com

but sounds like your headset isn't Teams Certified

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

~Coxy posted:

this is a really basic bitch but why the gently caress does it include the name and timestamp when I try to copy a snippet of text from a chat message.

nobody has ever wanted that part tagged onto their clipboard like it's an online encyclopedia website

plus it breaks paths and stuff

its litterrally that the browser fails to determine what to select when you drag over the message so it incorrectly includes other elements in the selection. this is because teams is bad and html is bad and javascript is bad and chome is bad

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

i love how if i open a document from sharepoint and it loads in like excel or word online i have no way of navigating from the opened document back to the original folder in sharepoint. at work ive got a bunch of docs in SPO bookmarked for convenience but i have no idea where they actually are in sharepoint.

oh also sharepoint URLs are amazing. just incredibly massive, even the special sharing ones you can copy.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

I do have to LOL whenever I see a link where the actual HREF is urldefense.proofpoint.com
there's an entire page on one of the sites where every single URL in the body copy has URLdefense in it. just lol forever. I guess nobody ever reads the French site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

jammyozzy posted:

the explorer patcher fixes this but yeah thats some irony lol