Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

yeah I don't follow the RPG thread regularly so this is my first impression of the game and man they really put all the art budget into sprites huh

anyway will try it out

a lot of the tileset sprites are straight-up RPG Maker built-in assets :v: It's really amazing what they've managed to cobble together from an old-rear end version of RPGMaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm 100% sure I've seen Zelos in one of those remove the pins to kill yourself in lava games

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I’m 6 or so missions in. Excellent game, very Ogre Battle in the best way possible. Lots of tedium in clicking but switching to a controller makes the UX a thousand times better.

However I’ve skipped a lot of cut scenes. Oh boy do I don’t care about flashbacks.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You won't really miss anything by skipping the story. It's pretty generic, and even not skipping cutscenes there were times when I was completely lost on what was going on and why.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The story has like one kind of interesting twist in the middle? But in general you pretty much know the score from the jump.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The downside of skipping cutscenes is you will miss the casamir level up

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I like the story. It's not groundbreaking but it works and if you're a fan of any of their games at all, it's basically a sequel to Echoes of Aetheria.

I do think the midgame twist could have been handled a little better though: Devoa "dying" was a cool conceit but he just kind of comes back. I'd rather have a couple missions without him and then maybe a mission like we got with Zelos as the Black Knight, but focused on Devoa instead. It made his return feel a little silly without some connective tissue.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zore posted:

But yeah I'm interested in what kinds of squad setups people have. These are mine for reference just after Chapter 20 before I start any of the sidequests. Spoiling for Chapter 20 character spoilers

ok done for the night so will share mine, this is post chapter 20 and did the first of the two gaiden missions so some unit spoiler stuff here

everyone seems to run with more healers than me lol

e: oh lol... i am the only one who seems to have immediately disbanded jaromir's squad and put him in something else.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 14, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

ok done for the night so will share mine, this is post chapter 20 and did the first of the two gaiden missions so some unit spoiler stuff here

everyone seems to run with more healers than me lol

e: oh lol... i am the only one who seems to have immediately disbanded jaromir's squad and put him in something else.

I didn't realize you could even disband story squads. I figured he was one of them. I tried that with Beatrix since I think she'd do some serious work in someone else's group as a carry and she's like "Nope, you don't want me as an enemy" lol.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Levantine posted:

I didn't realize you could even disband story squads. I figured he was one of them. I tried that with Beatrix since I think she'd do some serious work in someone else's group as a carry and she's like "Nope, you don't want me as an enemy" lol.

You definitely can't disband most of them. I had no idea you could with Joromir

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah I just got immediately annoyed when he joined cause he seem especially generic and I beelined to it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Man, having a bazaar in stages 9 and 10 gets expensive. I was able to get a drake and a unique templar in stage 9, but in stage 10 I didn't have enough money to hire the drake at the bazaar...

...because I spent everything I had (and sold a couple weaker artifacts I wasn't likely to use) so that I could hire a level 20 legendary unique silver dragon rider. You can use a merit on dragon riders to gold plate them too once they have maxed their class and it'd push him to 99 strength and about 460hp if I were to do so immediately but I don't think it's worth burning 6 CP Codex since he's going to murder the poo poo out of things in Abigayle's team with Nibbler and my other dragon from stage 9. :black101:

14k gold well spent. Probably.

e: At least, I'm assuming the mercenaries who have special quotes instead of their class's generic info, and different names (often with titles in them), are the unique mercenaries.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 14, 2022

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Man, having a bazaar in stages 9 and 10 gets expensive. I was able to get a drake and a unique templar in stage 9, but in stage 10 I didn't have enough money to hire the drake at the bazaar...

...because I spent everything I had (and sold a couple weaker artifacts I wasn't likely to use) so that I could hire a level 20 legendary unique silver dragon rider. You can use a merit on dragon riders to gold plate them too once they have maxed their class and it'd push him to 99 strength and about 460hp if I were to do so immediately but I don't think it's worth burning 6 CP Codex since he's going to murder the poo poo out of things in Abigayle's team with Nibbler and my other dragon from stage 9. :black101:

14k gold well spent. Probably.

e: At least, I'm assuming the mercenaries who have special quotes instead of their class's generic info, and different names (often with titles in them), are the unique mercenaries.

Yeah they are and that is an insane get that early lmao

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Some of the unique mercs have bad affinity (STOP WITH THE WATER) to class pairings, but they make up for it with the extra innate traits and higher raw stats

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gyoru posted:

Some of the unique mercs have bad affinity (STOP WITH THE WATER) to class pairings, but they make up for it with the extra innate traits and higher raw stats

Water Affinity needs a rework, tbh. It's absolutely the worst of all the affinities with no real benefit.

I just beat Ch. 22 and Diana's promotion sprite is probably the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. It feels like someone really liked Lady whatever from RE8. Which is fine, but it's completely incongruous with the rest of the art style.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Water affinity is ridiculously common for some reason. Except on dragons. Every dragon I've seen seems to be fire affinity.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I buy the affinity changing items every time I can almost entirely to fix people who have Water but shouldn't. My Nibbler is Dark now and he gained a ton of useful stats from it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I feel like those and the LDR increasing items should just be a little bit more common in the trader, or in the case of affinities maybe always just have an guarantee one with the shop restocks.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I restarted so that I could focus LDR gain on squads that need it instead of blindly capping everything as diana/barnabus/protag. I'm only up to chapter 7 now on the new save, but geeze, this game is a whole lot easier when you start setting your squads up for success right from the beginning.

I lucked into snagging a legendary crown that gives +20SKL and converts all of the squad's MAG to STR so I'm about to have a pretty absurd paladin squad rolling around. That's like a bonus +40-50 str on each one of them

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 14, 2022

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So is this more Ogre Battle or Langrisser?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah your Lord should never be the one seizing locations because they get natural LDR gains anyway from being deployed. It's better to focus LDR gain on non-story mercs with good leader traits like Treasure Hunter

A couple changes I would like
- The ability to disband story squads and check if a story required unit is deployed instead. It would probably require a scripting rewrite so it's unlikely
- Ability to change affinities for story and unique merc leaders

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

So is this more Ogre Battle or Langrisser?

It's way more Ogre Battle than Langrisser. Squads are made up of individual, persistent characters, not groups of nameless, temporary troops.

I do wish it had Ogre Battle's position-based attacks, though. A Soldier will do the same 2x melee attacks from the front row or the back.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I'm enjoying the maps and unit building aspects a lot, but wow the writing is really bad, navigating menus is a bit of a pain also, but yeah, core gameplay loop is very fun.

I also hope it sells a bunch so they can hire an artist, writer and a UI/UX person for the sequel

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a lot of the last is rpg maker and i wouldn't hold out hope on the dev handing writing duties off to anyone else. best bet is to hope for a better portrait artist.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I’d like to see deployment size limit before missions so I can build enough squads without having to go into the mission.

Also a better UI for doing upgrades/sorting units/checking for things like “who has the highest leadership” but that is probably engine limitations

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

I restarted so that I could focus LDR gain on squads that need it instead of blindly capping everything as diana/barnabus/protag. I'm only up to chapter 7 now on the new save, but geeze, this game is a whole lot easier when you start setting your squads up for success right from the beginning.

I lucked into snagging a legendary crown that gives +20SKL and converts all of the squad's MAG to STR so I'm about to have a pretty absurd paladin squad rolling around. That's like a bonus +40-50 str on each one of them

I'm struggling to get Sybil caught up. Even in Chapter 10 she was still only able to run 2 spearmen and a mage and it was rough. I think she can fit a 5th unit now and I might swap in a pair of paladins from other squads to help her out since even having her try to force surrender near-dead squads can be rough.

Gyoru posted:

Yeah your Lord should never be the one seizing locations because they get natural LDR gains anyway from being deployed. It's better to focus LDR gain on non-story mercs with good leader traits like Treasure Hunter

A couple changes I would like
- The ability to disband story squads and check if a story required unit is deployed instead. It would probably require a scripting rewrite so it's unlikely
- Ability to change affinities for story and unique merc leaders

Is there any indication if Thief or Treasure Hunter stacks if multiple units in the squad have it?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm struggling to get Sybil caught up. Even in Chapter 10 she was still only able to run 2 spearmen and a mage and it was rough. I think she can fit a 5th unit now and I might swap in a pair of paladins from other squads to help her out since even having her try to force surrender near-dead squads can be rough.

Is there any indication if Thief or Treasure Hunter stacks if multiple units in the squad have it?
Sybil is purposefully low on LDR until you get to her side mission later in the game where she gets a bump. The general strat until that point is using her as a bait squad with a tanky frontline + 2-3 healers

Thievery is per unit and generally not worth the Learned Trait slot
Treasure Hunter is a Leader only trait like Tundra Warrior/Desert Warrior so only one trait will be active

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Sybil also has a bond event with Abigayle that makes both of them cost half when placed in the other's group. So now Sybil is just chilling with Abigayle and her 2 dragon riders (and Azura).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's kinda ridiculous how much flying units break the maps sometimes.

It's also weird how mediocre arrow squads are when compared to siege cannon squads, although I acknowledge that there's a higher cost to siege cannons. But 6 siege cannons seem like they do a good job just deleting a unit.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

In my experience, 6 warbows do a pretty good job of wrecking a unit to the point that it'll surrender, which is preferable to outright deleting it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zurai posted:

In my experience, 6 warbows do a pretty good job of wrecking a unit to the point that it'll surrender, which is preferable to outright deleting it.

That's what I use my warbow unit for as well. Soften things up to let Beatrix or Lyasnder get the Surrender.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The main benefit to archers (imo) is the tier 3 research that classifies them as Light or Scouts or whatever, they make pretty good guerilla sniping squads vs artillery which have rough mobility. But I'd rather just go with crossbows/rifles and mix them in my other squads

Horse archers seem pretty good too because they get to move after shooting, right?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Mission 25 results:

Got like 2 medals of Valor when I finished so I'm not sure if mass surrenders do that or if that was just a quirk of the mission.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

How the gently caress?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
surrenders up LDR gains but i dunno about drop rate, it sometimes feels that way to me but could totally just be me imagining it

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

How the gently caress?

I just used all my really OP units to start a Force Surrender against every unit I could. If they didn't manage it, I'd send another, weaker unit to clean it up. I did this to every unit I saw! Devoa, Abigayle and Diana all are pretty capable of eating a around of attacks before attacking with little penalty.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This tiara that converts MAG to STR :psyduck: Diana's squad is at 13k threat and I'm only on Chapter 9. They kill literally anything in a single turn. And since they're all super heavily armored there's nothing they need to be scared of except wizards and rifles.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 15, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

deep dish peat moss posted:

a lot of the tileset sprites are straight-up RPG Maker built-in rear endets :v: It's really amazing what they've managed to cobble together from an old-rear end version of RPGMaker

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 15, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i wonder how many sells the game made because of giant lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
The best artifact I found is one that lets you attack first on defense, so if you have an all-mage squad with Beatrix, you could kill an unlimited number of units per turn.

This game is great, and I was looking for more games like it to play. I haven’t played Langrissser, but $50 seems high for a port of an old game. Is it worth it?