Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Well, according to this thread he's an absolute mastermind who never ever does any fuckup and instead always does completely stupid stuff with very careful planning so that he can make videos about it.
So really, :iiam:

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Their naivety is what generates them content and makes them very successful. They're making millions on entertaining people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Just how much money are they making/hemorrhaging holy poo poo

If I'm remembering correctly the property alone cost them 10 million, and they put 1 million down on it, which was apparently a substantial amount of their liquidity. It's going to cost them a fortune to get it started and to maintain it with staff and projects etc. I don't know how you start making money with it with videos alone. Have to imagine they have some other revenue plans. Outsourced testing for smaller companies or something, maybe? Who knows. It's a huge leap for them and I don't envy the anxiety Linus is probably feeling about that big of an investment. I do envy his really big house, though.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Their naivety is what generates them content and makes them very successful. They're making millions on entertaining people.

I think we all agree on that now. It's just that having the same approach to a property purchase as, say, dropping a CPU seems reckless.
The fact that the new place is supposedly for a new level of serious product testing makes it even more, idk, unwise.

Again, they are successful and happy, so what the gently caress do I know

E
10 million, holy gently caress.
I hope that it was all an elaborate ruse.
And good luck explaining to companies that you are a serious testing place, in spite of your hundreds of tech-pratfall videos
Lmao

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 14, 2022

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I don't think any company sponsors LTT videos for actually technical analysis, it's purely for the views. And none of them bar sometimes Anthony seem equipped for anything beyond an entry level helpdesk job in terms of doing anything actually useful in IT. Anyway their clickbait video thumbails still suck me in sometimes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah fair. I really need more info to judge how they did the real estate deal, I think people here seem to be jumping to conclusions and don't really know how screwed you get buying in Vancouver. If you take the time to get an inspection someone else will outbid you etc. At least for homes.

They expect to sell a lot of their screwdriver and backpacks in the short term to help get some more money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

10 million for an industrial unit? That sounds like a hell of a lot but maybe the market is just that hot, or it's huge.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

it's both huge and the vancouver real estate market is a total shitshow.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Three Olives posted:

I'd say they desperately need an actual CEO, but a former our supplier was owned by an idiot that grew a small business into multi-million dollar company with hundreds of employees and ran through a series of professional CEOs that he drove off by meddling and micromanaging, I figure Linus would be the same.

I have a cousin who took over his father's business who grew it to a point and then hired an actual CEO. They sold it a few years later for a few hundred million. It would never have happened if they kept management in the family. This isn't even a tech business, it's food so the valuation was probably based on something tangible.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Thanks Ants posted:

10 million for an industrial unit? That sounds like a hell of a lot but maybe the market is just that hot, or it's huge.

I think he said it's around 20k square feet.

The market in Vancouver does look to be incredibly insane right now. I looked up the nearest large city to me (200k population) and Chicago listings for 20-30k square ft. Prices go from 0.9 to 1.5 mil "locally" and 0.8 to 6 mil in Chicago (the lower end ones are just this side of abandoned/blight judging by a quick glance at the pictures).

I popped over to Vancouver and prices are 8-18mil (CAD).

10 mil Canadian is 7.75 mil US. So for a modern building that is up to code, it's on the high end, but looks about right for the market at this insane moment.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lol that it's acceptable to gut a property, removing lightbulbs and doorknobs before handing it over, but also OK to leave ENORMOUS adidas branding stickers on every wall?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I don't know about you but I'm not eager to take product testing info/advice from Linus Media Group. I generally trust GamersNexus, but the way Linus and his staff throw poo poo at the wall and deliberately half-rear end things does not inspire confidence.

Yes, in theory Linus and his chuckleheads won't have their hands all over the Serious Business aspect and someone more competent will do the actual testing, but I can already predict the wave of "Linus Labs did this completely wrong" reactions.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Aware posted:

I don't think any company sponsors LTT videos for actually technical analysis, it's purely for the views. And none of them bar sometimes Anthony seem equipped for anything beyond an entry level helpdesk job in terms of doing anything actually useful in IT. Anyway their clickbait video thumbails still suck me in sometimes.

Currently that's the case, bit they've said that's what's they're planning to do, that's what they extra space and new hires are for.
They are a bit vague about it, bit maybe it won't always be part of the YouTube stuff.

Yeah, I'm often sucked in by thumbnails. I might try that extension that changes them and see if it's any hood

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 15, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Something something just charmingly naive

https://twitter.com/linusgsebastian/status/1536933187271610368?s=21&t=gPkWaro45TVbWam5Ljtt2A

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Adolf Glitter posted:

Currently that's the case, bit they've said that's what's they're planning to do, that's what they extra space and new hires are for.
They are a bit vague about it, bit maybe it won't always be part of the YouTube stuff.

Yeah, I'm often sucked in by thumbnails. I might try that extension that changes them and see if it's any hood

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/clickbait-remover-for-you/omoinegiohhgbikclijaniebjpkeopip?hl=en
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/clickbait-remover-for-youtube/

I installed it a few months ago and would never go back, also have it set up to alter all titles to just have the first letter capitalised, really cuts back on all the WOW MUST SEE stuff

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ya'all remember that thing about beige PCs?

Tom Hardy posted:

Hope all is well.

Attached is a document addressing the state of 1984 German DIN Standards in
context of 'Display Work Stations'. The Luminance Reflectance Value (LRV)
data is highlighted on page 133. The acceptable LRV range between 0.15 -
0.75 is visualzed in the attached LRV document.

Also, the highlighted reference on page 134, known as '*The Armbruster
Report'* (1978), contains the orgnal research basis for the German DIN
'Display Work Staton' specifications.

An additional reference document citing Visual Display Termnal (VDT) work
station research conducted five years later in 1983 is: *VDT Workstation
Design: Preferred Settings and Their Effects *by E. Grandjean, W. Hunting
and M. Pidermann. i cannot locate my copy but it can be obtaned online.
Note that the original LRV range (0.15-0.75) specified in the intial German
DIN Standard was rescinded some years later as 'The Arrnbruster Report' LRV
research method was found to be faulty, makng the results invalid and
unenforceable. This paved the way for products such as the black IBM
ThinkPad that I was directly involved with.

Best regards - Tom
Attachments were German Workplace Standards.pdf and Luuminance Reflectance Values.pdf.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Ya'all remember that thing about beige PCs?

Attachments were German Workplace Standards.pdf and Luuminance Reflectance Values.pdf.

That's interesting and really good of him to come back to you.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Charles Leclerc posted:

That's interesting and really good of him to come back to you.
Yeah, Tom deserves all the credit for this.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Worldshatter posted:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/clickbait-remover-for-you/omoinegiohhgbikclijaniebjpkeopip?hl=en
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/clickbait-remover-for-youtube/

I installed it a few months ago and would never go back, also have it set up to alter all titles to just have the first letter capitalised, really cuts back on all the WOW MUST SEE stuff

Nice, thanks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is another must-have extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sponsorblock-for-youtube/mnjggcdmjocbbbhaepdhchncahnbgone

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Seconded, can't believe it took me this long to get it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Linus Sebastianly: Excuse me sir, this is tantamount to piracy

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Thanks to you Linus' children will now go hungry. Monster.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The amount of sections that SponsorBlock has for LTT is hilarious.
I had to switch off the "off topic* one though as there were so many that it was unwatchable

My stats say that I've saved over 2 days in total, lol
That's been s year or so, and I do watch a lot of YouTube though

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 15, 2022

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
There isn’t anything like SponsorBlock for iOS is there? I loved the Freetube+SponsorBlock app for android and would recommend it for anyone who wants to stay away from the official YouTube client.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
There is, but you have to jump through some hoops with iOS sideloading:

https://github.com/qnblackcat/uYouPlus

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sponsorblock is fantastic and it really chops up LTT videos more than most lol

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
ltt also said on the wan show a bit ago that they wanted to stop doing intros and stuff like that in the beginning, because youtube might ding them for viewers skipping the start of a video

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sponsorblock is fantastic and it really chops up LTT videos more than most lol

The worst for me are car videos lately. Manscaped and Keeps. Ugh. The latest though is Magna which at least is an automotive technology company. Where I don't have sponsorblock I just automatically double tap right 6 times or right arrow 6 times.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I can't see the post they're replying to but I don't like "nobody's business but their own"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Extremely white millionaire has poo poo views on minorities, news at 11

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
"we follow all local labour laws" energy

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

I can't see the post they're replying to but I don't like "nobody's business but their own"

They must have deleted their post thanks to being overwhelmed by the unneccessary negative spotlight Mr. Sebastian put on the q. But it was essentially just like "Are there any openly queer tech youtubers out there/where's the queer visibility in the tech youtube world? If they're out there I'd love to follow them". Completely innocent and understandable question.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
So that's this week's Wan Show rant locked in I guess.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Aw shoot a week without a mansion rant?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
ok, ONE of this week's rants

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

maybe to steer it away from mansion chat but I want to shout out TechTV baybee

probably responsible for my current tastes in (bad) youtube entertainment. I know Leo laporte has a thing but is his audience just... boomers? And the angry bald guy has a thing but neither of them seem compelling :shrug:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I found this super interesting, one of the most respected audiophile reviewers on the internet goes super in depth on Linus' new headphones measurement rig and rigs in general.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc__cF6i2mw

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Most of the previous headphone reviews on LTT where top notch audiophoolery.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Most of the previous headphone reviews on LTT where top notch audiophoolery.

are you telling me that crab rave is not a scientific measurement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
headphones ranked by their ability to make Linus cry