Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Kenny Logins posted:

i got a job offer today and i took it. just need the paperwork so i can put in my notice. :yotj:

goongrats, kenneth. is it wfh?

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

the only thing i know about peggle is the time that guy announced peggle 2 and no one clapped

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

peggled again

qd

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

jony neuemonic posted:

heck yeah. congrats buddy.
ty both
:haibrow:

Cat Face Joe posted:

goongrats, kenneth. is it wfh?
it's wfh friendly but not full wfh. to play it safe i'm going to have to mostly be going in office for the first 6 months. but nice to have wfh for (kid) illness and bad weather once winter comes

ideally it would be mostly wfh but otoh they're paying me a bunch more than I make and I hate my current soon to be former job/bosses very very much

also they're flexible in terms of doing compressed workweek to get an extra day off each week, or every other week, or every 3rd week. that's going to be handy with my kid going into kindergarten this year

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sounds like a good gig for a government job, grats

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fart simpson posted:

last time they did this at my job it was an announcement that they were cutting every employees salary by 10% for six months, globally, because of covid.

thankfully china actually has labor protections and that’s illegal here so it didn’t apply to us

lol and also lol again

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Fool posted:

sounds like a good gig for a government job, grats
ty. might have to buy some Aldens lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

lol and also lol again

here’s a third lol: because it was illegal here, they said if you wanted to chip in, you could go to hr to sign some paperwork to voluntarily cut your own salary by 10% and some people actually did it!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

cjs: surf vacation over. back to work :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

congrats on the sex

she is preggo but not from that!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fart simpson posted:

here’s a third lol: because it was illegal here, they said if you wanted to chip in, you could go to hr to sign some paperwork to voluntarily cut your own salary by 10% and some people actually did it!

you probably should have done it too, now you're going to be labelled "not a team player"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

in vitro?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

Lmao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fart simpson posted:

i can't even imagine how well that demonstration of loyalty ended up working out for them

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Truman Peyote posted:

cjs: surf vacation over. back to work :(

my most sincere condolances

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Truman Peyote posted:

you probably should have done it too, now you're going to be labelled "not a team player"

this was two years ago. not only did i not do it, but i still got a 7% and then 8% raise since then and am likely up for a promotion this year

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

drat dude really? is this three or four?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

drat dude really? is this three or four?

third! :3:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

i feel like the last tt childe was less than a year ago but they're probably in driver's ed now or something

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

well, congrats

big congrats day today

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i can't even imagine how well that demonstration of loyalty ended up working out for them

they should have been fired for being morons and also proving they don’t need the money anyway, imo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

i feel like the last tt childe was less than a year ago but they're probably in driver's ed now or something

Cat Face Joe posted:

well, congrats

big congrats day today

thanks!

my youngest just turned 2 so she’s nearly ready for Michigan roads I reckon

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

fart simpson posted:

wallet inspector poo poo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cjs: the team in the eu that we work with is getting more brazen about scheduling 8 am (my time) meetings with less than 24 hours notice and i'm in a foul mood

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fart simpson posted:

this was two years ago. not only did i not do it, but i still got a 7% and then 8% raise since then and am likely up for a promotion this year

jokes aside if a friend for some reason didn't know what to do in that situation and asked for advice, i'd tell them that voluntarily taking the cut would both reduce their pay and get them marked as a wimp and a doormat and hinder their career at that company

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

carry on then posted:

cjs: the team in the eu that we work with is getting more brazen about scheduling 8 am (my time) meetings with less than 24 hours notice and i'm in a foul mood

my immediate team members are pretty good about respecting the time zone differences, but sometime I get meeting invites for 5am local time from people outside my team.

the worst offenders are the managers at HQ that have a reputation for pushing their teams to go into the office

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Kenny Logins posted:

truly is. nearly 18 months in the making (searchwise) and it's an ideal gov't job

big congratulations! :)

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it was basically the end of an era. the last casual game that you just paid for and got to play and that was it. that was the transaction

i went looking for it last night, i remember it was available the day steam came out for macos and i remember buying it thru steam. i found some emails and yeah they sent me a key and a download link. never got added to my steam library tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Peggle extreme came w/ the orange box but was removed from everyones libraries for some reason. However, its back on steam and you can get it here for free: https://store.steampowered.com/app/3483/Peggle_Extreme/

if you had peggle deluxe in ur steam it may have been nuked when EA took all their games off steam, but now they're all back.

Also you get peggle deluxe and peggle nights for free with xbox game pass.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cjs: we get a bunch of cash for wfh crap should i get a good mic or is the MBP mic fin

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://dontbuyayeti.com/

I use a $15 Nady copy of a shure sm57, which is the mic that has been on some certain dudes' podiums for like 40+ years

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

cjs: we get a bunch of cash for wfh crap should i get a good mic or is the MBP mic fin

i have a jabra 510 speakerphone and its very good.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

carry on then posted:

reject the meetings!!!

if you feel bad for rejecting you can send an explanation but ive had more success just declining meetings and letting people come ask me personally for wat they want or what time slot works

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i feel like there's a lot of societal pressure on people to accept meetings but as an autistic person who doesn't feel hardly any pressure to conform to social mores I can tell you that you have nothing to lose but your meetings

decline all meetings unless you personally would get value from them! And if they're mandatory and more than 20 people are invited you can accept and then just not go, noone will notice! its free real estate!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

And if they're mandatory and more than 20 people are invited you can accept and then just not go, noone will notice! its free real estate!

the real pro tip right here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
uh that needs a qualifier.

a bad way to deal with too many meetings is to ignore meeting invites and then deal with a shitload of slack pings 7 minutes after the hour and eventually texts "are you there??? we're waiting for you"

Only decline meetings if you don't have any visible input and can't take anything interesting away from it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mic chat: I use jabra wireless earbuds

I like them because I can pair two devices and the earbuds switch between them automatically

I can listen to music on my phone and if I get a teams call they automatically switch to my laptop and pause the music

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I hate meetings and try to get them cancelled with great prejudice

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I would hate meetings more if I had to attend in person.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i don't mind them because at this new job, i never get bullshit meeting invites for things like "Q3 OKRS for B2B High Tech Vertical Sales Presentation" and everything on my calendar relates to my job and helps me do it better and i don't despise the people in the little windows on the zoom call. blessed i suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

In my experience that ratio of useful:useless meetings is pretty good when you're starting a new job, but trends towards useless the longer you're there

the rate is definitely dependent on the quality of your workplace