Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the cock doc

licensed cock inspector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

We didn’t have a career counselor at the college prep high school I went to because it was assumed everyone would go work at their dads law firm

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ADINSX posted:

We didn’t have a career counselor at the college prep high school I went to because it was assumed everyone would go work at their dads law firm

for some reason a while back i went to go look up the prime shitheads on the football team and every single one was a vp at a neoptism hedge fund

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My counselor, like all of them, was worthless

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my counselor told me to do pharmacy over computers because they just shipped all the jobs to India

three years later we saw that not work out for anyone very well and start the blitz we have today, and a year after that I dropped out of pharmacy school and got my BS in CS

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the cock doc

/Doc Cock !?
:spidey:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

my middle school had everyone take a career aptitude test and i got house painter and truck driver and my mom was severely depressed for an entire month

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

why do they always get so specific with the advice?

my school let us use a computer program that asked a bunch of questions and the answer was "something with computers" and a list of like 50 examples.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sweevo posted:

it has to be a richard scarry job

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Baby got Back :wiggle:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

your career recommendation needs to be highly specific to hide the fact that all of the recommendations are some flavor of "join the military"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Sweevo posted:

my school let us use a computer program that asked a bunch of questions and the answer was "something with computers" and a list of like 50 examples.

because then they have specifics they can point to and sell to more gullible school systems

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I just got "you should do computers. everything is on computers now, you know" and they punted me out the door. 18 months later i was working the line in a restaurant. thanks, guidance counselors

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ADINSX posted:

we definitly didn't have "career counselors". we had guidance counselors that we basically saw for a total of 8 minutes throughout the entirety of high school. once a year you went in, they said "ok, you're taking classes x, y and z next year? have your parents sign this and drop it off in the office" and that was it

oh, and the smarmy, moronic guidance counselor who dealt with the incoming freshman that didn't come from the district middle school lost my and many other students' transcripts, so a bunch of kids initially wound up in the wrong classes

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

I just got "you should do computers. everything is on computers now, you know" and they punted me out the door. 18 months later i was working the line in a restaurant. thanks, guidance counselors

it's odd, no one ever told me to get into computers nor did i ever think i should. just never came up like it seemed to for so many people our age

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
no one ever told me to go into computers because at the time "computer programmer" was a lovely mid-level office job on par with "copy machine repair guy" and "accounts receivable guy"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

rotor posted:

no one ever told me to go into computers because at the time "computer programmer" was a lovely mid-level office job on par with "copy machine repair guy" and "accounts receivable guy"

yeah, "what'f thyne 'computer' m'lord" was probably a pretty common question back then

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
hahahaha i m old

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Achmed Jones posted:

my career recommendation in high school was "poultry vet"
I fought in the Chicken Wars too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

o7

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

ellie, telling egg-era war stories :3:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

rotor posted:

hahahaha i m old

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

Post dot-com it wasn't so hot, and especially in Europe even now "computer programmer" is definitely not so much a FYGM career, though definitely upper-middle class. So advice was to study business. Which tbh I don't regret, I'm managing to mostly combine that with what I learned form the computer hobby for the job, and don't have to deal with jira ticket and scrum nonsense.

Jonny 290 posted:

Hope you listened to the advice about Poland at least!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

aren’t the fast growing gdp nations all growing because they’re the few remaining markets in Europe with cheap labour

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the smart money is in Krakow: better food, cooler city.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

dont mind me just buttering up my doors

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

dont mind me just buttering up my doors

did you know you can use a lightbulb as a pipe?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I went to a fancy private school and my careers counsellor told me to join the army.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i don't think i every received any career advice in high school, or at least i've completely forgotten it, but i already did PC and electronics repair in high school, so whatever

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

one of those career tests in highschool said I should be a beekeeper 🐝

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I remember doing one of those and getting told 'you did it too quickly go back and do it again', so I did and got 'sewing machine mechanic'

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

exact opposite for me. i got kicked out of the gifted program because i literally couldn't give a poo poo about anything so they sent me to the guidance counselor who tried to be all sly by saying, 'you know being a brick layer isn't a bad gig either' in an attempt to scare me straight :jerkbag:

then my junior year i took the 'computer math' course where the teacher would just keep throwing harder and harder problems at you until the year was over. that was actually engaging for me so did really well and the rest is history

eat poo poo, guidance counselor

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i got "hotel manager" on my aptitude test. can't fool me, i saw that documentary about fawlty towers

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

also at the time everyone told me computers was a terrible career choice because everything was going to be outsourced to india within a decade anyways. well, except the computer math teacher. when we told her that she was just all, 'lol no'

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

a good job backed by the bricklayers local #420 is nothing to sneeze at guidance counselor :argh:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

infernal machines posted:

i don't think i every received any career advice in high school, or at least i've completely forgotten it, but i already did PC and electronics repair in high school, so whatever

yeah same. about the only thing was my physics teacher asking everyone what they were doing after graduating, and i said i was going to study biology and he said "ok i'll put you down for physics"

i ended up doing physics so i guess he was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004