Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yeah space is at a super premium, mostly i want something i can put away when i'm not using it, i'd like to squat heavier and try barbell bench since i'm getting into the 75-80lb range on dumbbell press and it's starting to get difficult to get the drat things into position repeatedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i just don't think it's worthwhile to try to set up a weight rack in an apartment. a small rack is going to be unstable, you're never going to put it away because of how much of a pain it would be to disassemble / reassemble, you're going to get strong enough to need more weight than it holds pretty quickly, and no matter how small it is it's going to take up a lot of space. if you have, like, a cage in the storage room you can dedicate to it, that seems more realistic to me.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah ive been turning the idea over too and i think an apartment rack isn't reasonable unless you just commit to dedicating the space for a cage. ive thought about building like a wall mounted one or some poo poo but everything just seems like a shittier version

also i like to lift barefoot but i do it at home so i don't care what you think

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

yeah it sucks but i'm trying to make the best with what i have, especially since i really really don't want to have to drive to a gym every day to lift and worry about getting covid and everything else

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

theres literally a gym with a rack in my apartment building that i use sometimes but the convenience of having my own bar always available far outweighs it. my bar is covered in chalk and i leave weights racked all the time. i go down there for squarts sometimes tho

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

carry on then posted:

yeah space is at a super premium, mostly i want something i can put away when i'm not using it, i'd like to squat heavier and try barbell bench since i'm getting into the 75-80lb range on dumbbell press and it's starting to get difficult to get the drat things into position repeatedly

The fold-away racks from Rogue Fitness might be worth looking into, depending on budget and how hardcore you wanna go with it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that thing looks sick but also it cost like 2x as much as my entire weight set and im not gonna install it in my apartment

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

yeah apartments mean no wall mounting anything. guess i'll just keep on keeping on for awhile and see how soon i get frustrated. i wish my apartment gym had anything better than the standard hotel setup but, not even a barbell down there. i could at least keep it to two days a week going down there to cover the critical lifts

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ask the apartment manager to put in a rack

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

yeah it sucks but i'm trying to make the best with what i have, especially since i really really don't want to have to drive to a gym every day to lift and worry about getting covid and everything else

I guess after being vaccinated and boosted, along with all the evidence that covid mortality and sickness is going way down, my covid anxiety is mostly gone. I understand though, gyms are pretty gross.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quote:

Dont judge me for this, but i had a deer (buck) i used to feed, i got pretty close to him both physically (could pet him) but also emotionally he was like my dog basically.

He was maybe a year old when i met him. Anyways when the rut started i was worried hed lose his territory to the bigger bucks and i wouldnt see him again. So... i put him on 10mg 2xED of blue heart Danabols. Id put the tab in his apple slices, he always ate it.

Im not making GBS threads you he bulked up fast, he also seemed the most aggressive of all the deers out there. I watched him have some pretty epic battles against other bucks out in the yard, he was glorious.

But alas, one day he disappeared and for like 2 years i never saw him. Then one random day this massive beautiful buck comes walking down the street looking around sort of out of place and i knew it was him by the look of his face. I made the noise i used to make to call him and he came right over and let me grab his impressive antlers. I never saw him again though, but a few years later i saw a young buck, maybe a year old, and he had the exact same handsome face and i knew that was one of his offspring and i thought to myself “thats awesome”.

I still miss that deer. Hes probably died by now of old age but his lineage continues to this day im sure and i like to think i had a helping hand in ensuring that.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
after years of not going to the gym I finally managed to rearrange the house so I can fit a squat rack in our old boiler room.

back when i was lifting i did starting strength, is that still the go-to thing?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

starting strength is fine, theres some other popular and fine programs too. the beginner weightlifting thread in YLLS has a few programs in the OP

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I broke 100 lbs 5x5 today on my bench press using my janky living room setup :c00l:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PokeJoe posted:

I broke 100 lbs 5x5 today on my bench press using my janky living room setup :c00l:

Nice.

The gym I'm currently at is very clearly owned, operated, and filled with certifiable morning people. The facility hours are 5:00am to 10:00pm, and when I come in between 7:30-8:00pm to workout, the place is usually almost empty. It's usually completely empty by 9:00pm. On the one hand, this is nice. I can set the stereo to play whatever I want, I have all of the space, it's good times.

The problem is that they've got programmable thermostats, which switch to 81 degrees at 9:00pm. I guess they were used to the place being empty by then before I started going there. Alas, those settings mean that right around the time I feel like I'm getting over the hump for my workout and can push through easily to the end, suddenly it gets so warm that I end up (even more) sweaty and exhausted. What should be the last twenty minutes of my workout ends up taking an hour, and I'm rushing to get out of the place by 10:00pm.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Why don't you ask them to stop doing that

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PokeJoe posted:

Why don't you ask them to stop doing that

I only realized it about a week ago, once it got hot enough outside that the gym warmed up really fast once the AC switched. I left a note last night, though I don't know if they'll do anything.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Good luck sweaty goon

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Is there any reliable way to get in shape yet

Aside from be sponsored by a movie studio and have a $300/hr trainer

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RokosCockatrice posted:

Is there any reliable way to get in shape yet

Aside from be sponsored by a movie studio and have a $300/hr trainer

Yeah, there are plenty of very reliable ways. Really, if you get into and maintain a solid diet and exercise regime you'll be in shape within a couple of years. There's not even any just one regime that actually works. As long as you're not following a fad-diet and the workout isn't something from an infomercial, there's a very good chance it will get you in shape within a couple of years.

Now, a way to ensure that you are able to maintain the time, effort, and willpower that are required to follow through with such a regime...that's something we don't have a solution for yet.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah there's no secret sauce you just have to be an active person to be in shape. Exercise often

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the secret is liking lifting

i am so loving glad i enjoy it because having to force myself to do this consistently every week would suck so much rear end

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Kernel Sanders posted:

after years of not going to the gym I finally managed to rearrange the house so I can fit a squat rack in our old boiler room.

back when i was lifting i did starting strength, is that still the go-to thing?

i did grayskull recently and found the 3x5 setup was less taxing than SL 5x5, probably similar to starting strength. the last set being AMRAP was a nice way to feel like i was progressing faster. when i deloaded, i still felt like i was improving because my AMRAP numbers went up on lighter weights

i stalled out twice and got to the point where i was dreading lifting because squats were absolutely exhausting, so i switched to 5/3/1 a month and a half ago. im about to finish my second cycle on that, and with the extra accessories + lighter sets for volume after my 5/3/1 sets, i have felt a lot of quick growth/progress again

after this cycle on 5/3/1 i think I'm gonna switch to something that's 3x a week again to focus on cycling and dropping some weight

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yosfit status: working out again

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

status report: still haven't hit 225 on bench, but I have a trainer working on my hip mobility and my weak hamstrings so that's good I guess

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i got COVID and quit lifting for like 6 weeks but I did my first full weight workout at the weight I was at prior to COVID yesterday and it felt pretty good

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

don't get sick folks, it's bad for your gains

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

carry on then posted:

the secret is liking lifting

i am so loving glad i enjoy it because having to force myself to do this consistently every week would suck so much rear end

lifting is the only exercise i like but also because i like it so much i push it on everyone

some people like running, some people like other stuff, the key is to find the work out you like enough to keep it as a habit

lifting is really good though

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Once you get into the habit, you feel really bad if you don't go. Endorphins from lifting ftw.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

running makes you look and feel terrible

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My trainer and I had a talk Monday and we're about to switch around my program to try and get me in the gym 4-5 times a week for ~1 hour workouts instead of 3 times a week for ~2 hour workouts. This will hopefully make the gym less stressful from a time-management perspective, as I'll be able to make it a more regular part of my daily schedule.

He's also about to start changing the structure of the workouts. Right now it's 2-3 big-lift supersets, followed by a conditioning set (for which I am usually completely wiped out). Now it will consist of 1 big lifting superset and then more intense conditioning. I'm a bit anxious about this, because my strength has been doing really well but my cardio has gotten so bad that I dread the times when I have to work on it. Losing strength gains to be able to go from having really bad cardio to just sorta-bad cardio is almost certainly better for my overall health, but still a but bruising for my ego.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

running is fun. nothing like a good run out on the trail.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

akadajet posted:

running makes you look and feel terrible

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

post hole digger posted:

running is fun. nothing like a good run out on the trail.

rolling my ankle in the woods for fun

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im doing a six day routine right now with four days of kettlebell work and two of yoga right now. i dont like kettlebells all that much compared to compound barbell lifts but i dont have room for a power rack and my gym's racks are always in use when i'm there. i think the plan will be needs suiting though. i will pepper in some running and climbing when i can.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I do full body 4 days, 1 day of cardio, and 1 day of yoga.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The yoga portion is really what kills me.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Adriene is a freak

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Adriene is a freak

i do yoga w my gf sometimes and this lady has too many weird ones i have to skip over like "yoga for liver"