Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

AG3 posted:

There's something poetic about the factory causing people to die and the only way to help them is to expand the factory.
The devs did hint towards an educational impact on their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I very much like how COI asks for very careful expansion. There's lots of coproducts, and voiding most of them results in bad news for your natural resource efficiency or health. There's large periods of making do with what you already have to avoid inefficiency or stressing the system. Friendship ended with Expanding the factory to meet the needs of the factory. Now improving the factory to meet the needs of the factory is my best friend.

It's almost like Banished Factorio. It doesn't do anything new technically, but the feedback from efficiency and pollution and really tight resources have made what feels like an entirely new game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm approaching the point where I'm seriously considering a full blown restart because of how many things feel like they're spiraling out of control. Like you said shortcuts can be taken but they're catching up to me now as my health score has dipped to almost 0 without the health boosts and a lot of it definitely has to do with the amount of stuff I'm dumping in the ocean or putting into the air because I either don't have the thing I need to further refine it or I just got lazy and need to get rid of extra product so 'gently caress it put a couple burners there until I have time to figure it out'. My unity score is also stagnating because much like Anno the higher tier of buildings want better stuff and I can't get enough trucks to deliver enough materials to my Furniture factory to keep the fake ikea stocked at my settlement.

I'm really wanting a priority overview screen; I'm very reliant on trucks moving product around at this point and priorities are all over the place so I end up manually assigning a lot of trucks directly to buildings while I try to figure out why the thing isn't getting delivered, which takes them out of the global pool for work trucks, so something somewhere else suffers because there's one less truck to deliver. OR I move it to P3-1 just to get the thing done and that's just kicking the can down the road because it further upsets the priority balance.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Since you said you just spun up plastics, soon you should get tech that will let you treat wastewater and do something with exhaust that pollutes a lot less.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
A hint towards anybody considering waste sorting facilities:

The waste sorting facility accepts "recycleables" as input and produces several types of scrap (iron, copper and other metals like gold).
It's not only reducing the waste and it's potential burning exhaust, it's a free and unlimited source of the otherwise limited metals iron and copper.

But:

You'll get that facility long before you can refine the other metals.
I've hesitated to build it since it has a high investment (45 workers, 200 red construction parts) and since the game taught me that "unused output" translates to "blockage".

However, this facility is an exception: While it does provide output sockets for the other metals and while it's gui shows them as products, it just doesn't produce them until you can use them.

tl,dr: Build the waste sorting facility ASAP, it won't be blocked by yet-unknown outputs.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 14, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

A hint towards anybody considering waste sorting facilities:

The waste sorting facility accepts "recycleables" as input and produces several types of scrap (iron, copper and other metals like gold).
You'll get that facility long before you can refine the other metals.

I've hesitated to build it since it has a high investment (45 workers, 200 red construction parts) and since the game taught me that "unused output" translates to "blockage".

However, this facility is an exception: While it does provide output sockets for the other metals and while it's gui shows them as products, it just doesn't produce them until you can use them.

tl,dr: Build the waste sorting facility ASAP, it won't be blocked by yet-unknown outputs.

Also, the devs confirmed that the content of a recyclable is determined when (and where) it's generated, so saving all recyclables for later won't do anything useful for you.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Tamba posted:

Also, the devs confirmed that the content of a recyclable is determined when (and where) it's generated, so saving all recyclables for later won't do anything useful for you.

The GUI explains this when you hover over the efficiency field, too.

COI is really good with explaining stuff like that, there's nearly always a little, helpfull (?)
Sometimes it's "too late" like in this case, where you only get that info _after_ you've build the facility, but it's still leaps ahead of many other games in the genre.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 14, 2022

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Wipfmetz posted:

COI is really good with explaining stuff like that, there's nearly always a little, helpfull (?)
Sometimes it's "too late" like in this case, where you only get that info _after_ you've build the facility, but it's still leaps ahead of many other games in the genre.

This is the primary problem I think, and one of the reasons there seems to be a big disconnect between the "there's no tutorial" people and the "read the text people."

There seemed to be a decent amount of information in the game. Unfortunately, way too much seems to come up only after you needed it to figure out where to go next.

To me, it is a user experience design flaw to tell me what a building does and how to use it only after I have built and placed the building, and I wish they would stop being so damned defensive about that and fix it.

The existing player base for this is full head up its rear end "if you don't get it, it must be because you're not a big brain and you can't read," and it is limiting some basic fixes to how (and when) the information is presented that would make the game better.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 14, 2022

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The UI is really bad in general. Hopefully they put some work into it, but it really feels more like a fight with a UI and then a waiting simulator than a game.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

The existing player base for this is full head up it's rear end "if you don't get it, it must be because you're not a big brain and you can't read," and it is limiting some basic fixes to how (and when) the information is presented that would make the game better.
That sounds ugly. My only contact with COI's playerbase is here and a bit of reddit, both of which seem to be constructive and want to help.

I guess the steam discussion forums are the usual dumpster fire, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SlyFrog posted:

This is the primary problem I think, and one of the reasons there seems to be a big disconnect between the "there's no tutorial" people and the "read the text people."

There seemed to be a decent amount of information in the game. Unfortunately, way too much seems to come up only after you needed it to figure out where to go next.

To me, it is a user experience design flaw to tell me what a building does and how to use it only after I have built and placed the building, and I wish they would stop being so damned defensive about that and fix it.

The existing player base for this is full head up it's rear end "if you don't get it, it must be because you're not a big brain and you can't read," and it is limiting some basic fixes to how (and when) the information is presented that would make the game better.
Not sure if you play much ttrpgs but this is a common thing there. Grognard games attract grognard players and grognard players absolutely love gatekeeping mechanics. I earned my fun memorising what everything does how dare you suggest they make it easier for new players who haven't put the same work in!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
there are dwarf fortress players adamantly against playing with a tileset, much less the LNP

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Its time we drag them kicking and screaming into the light of pretty pictures to represent things instead of letters

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
We just have to wait for them to regress from using letters to hieroglyphs, and then wrap around completely into pictures.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

tokin opposition posted:

there are dwarf fortress players adamantly against playing with a tileset, much less the LNP
Dwarf Fort is of a vintage where the original versions caught flak because it used sprites, either from the start or from very early versions, so you couldn't run it in a terminal. Lots of greybeards mad you couldn't telnet into your home computer to play Dwarf Fort at work because it's pictures of D's.

There was more concern than there is now in sending pictures of your D's over the internet in those days.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Splicer posted:

Not sure if you play much ttrpgs but this is a common thing there. Grognard games attract grognard players and grognard players absolutely love gatekeeping mechanics. I earned my fun memorising what everything does how dare you suggest they make it easier for new players who haven't put the same work in!

The grognards got mad because the Mission Update for Astroneer eventually included more EXO chips, which meant for idiots like those that SystemEra was making the game 'too easy'. Well if you want to define an 'easy' game, it's Astroneer. So maybe those 'grognards' should go play something like Factorio. Same grognards every stream want the stupid storms back too. So dumb.

I am still on my CoI journey :)

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

tokin opposition posted:

I'm waiting for the Steam release to see the full blown schism play out

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DF is dead and buried as far as I'm concerned. It was pretty unique and fun for its time but the genre they created has spawned numerous entries that have been more approachable and/or fun to play.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

xzzy posted:

DF is dead and buried as far as I'm concerned. It was pretty unique and fun for its time but the genre they created has spawned numerous entries that have been more approachable and/or fun to play.

Minecraft is the most notable. Basically Dwarf Fortress got the management games genre seriously started.

Edited for clarity, somehow I can't communicate this morning.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Anybody found something good in Steam's free demo fest going on? I first tried Sapiens, which looked pretty good but won't run on my machine, and then had the biggest whiplash in a while with Common'hood. Great premise, liking the look, controls and UI a bit clunky but hey it's early access, wait it's nighttime already? The game clock can't go that fast, must be a performance issue on my end, better check the forums to see if someone has a fi-oh hey you're supposed to turn your squatter commune into a crypto mining operation in the late game :waycool:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mayveena posted:

Minecraft is the most notable. Basically Dwarf Fortress got the management games genre seriously started.

Edited for clarity, somehow I can't communicate this morning.

Huh? Dwarf Fortress doesn't predate SimCity or Dungeon Keeper or all the other big management games that got the genre going. While DF is a cool and genuinely significant game and I can't wait for a full tile/UI update, it's not the first big management game.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

nor is it really related to Minecraft? I guess they both have...mining and procedural generation?

It's like saying Call of Duty and Company of Heroes are the same because they're both set during WW2.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DF popularized the "death spiral" concept that many of its descendant games have leaned in to. It did a lot more than that, to the point I wouldn't consider simcity or dungeon keeper to be in the same genre. They do share a lot of mechanics though.

I don't consider minecraft to be in that genre either!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

Dwarf Fortress still has a ton of interesting mechanics that nobody else even came close to replicating. Declaring it dead just because it spawned a lot of simplified imitations of it is extremely narrowminded.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

nor is it really related to Minecraft? I guess they both have...mining and procedural generation?

It's like saying Call of Duty and Company of Heroes are the same because they're both set during WW2.

Minecraft designer(s?) said they were inspired by DF. Thus the connection.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The idea that DF is dead and gone when it currently has people chomping at the bit for the Steam release of it to drop is hilarious lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

it's like Unreal World it's so ingrained into history and has such a loyal fanbase that it won't ever really "die"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The idea of a block based 3d environment I think is probably most popularized by DF before minecraft. Even if DF does not visualize it in 3d and they were more likely to have nicked that idea from infiniminer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

The idea that DF is dead and gone when it currently has people chomping at the bit for the Steam release of it to drop is hilarious lol

Well to be fair I specifically said "as far as I'm concerned." I wasn't putting words in anyone else's mouth.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive always wondered if adventure mode is an actually good RL or just a fun tacked-on thing (i've never really played DF that much)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

ive always wondered if adventure mode is an actually good RL or just a fun tacked-on thing (i've never really played DF that much)

You can't actually win Adventure Mode and there's no goals or anything, the game just drops you into the world and let's you interact with it however you like, but as a sandbox experience I find it very fun.
It has a lot of unique mechanics that don't really appear in any other roguelikes. I'm a big fan of the Adventure Mode.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I really like it. The combat is fun, especially the brutal poo poo you can do with wrestling

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Been picking away at my save in Transport Fever 2. Time frozen and I'm just painting the map at this point and connecting all the cities.

How do y'all set up your main lines and passing lanes? I had to tear down and rebuild like 2 or 3 different pain points on the map because trains kept blocking each other or holding each other up, and the average speed still isn't great. Speaking of average speed, I'm disappointed there isn't a graph in game to tell me where and when trains are slowing.

My idea to standardize this process from now on is to have a main line with two opposing one ways with other opposing one ways on both sides for passing and holding. Anyone else have a pattern they like?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Been picking away at my save in Transport Fever 2. Time frozen and I'm just painting the map at this point and connecting all the cities.

How do y'all set up your main lines and passing lanes? I had to tear down and rebuild like 2 or 3 different pain points on the map because trains kept blocking each other or holding each other up, and the average speed still isn't great. Speaking of average speed, I'm disappointed there isn't a graph in game to tell me where and when trains are slowing.

My idea to standardize this process from now on is to have a main line with two opposing one ways with other opposing one ways on both sides for passing and holding. Anyone else have a pattern they like?

I do four lanes, with two fast lanes in the middle and two slow lanes on the outside.

I don't have any good screenshots of it at its full extent right now, and the save this one is from got busted due to mods. But I had a 6 lane railway at the peak, with the middle being reserved for two TGV trains crossing the map, and then a fast speed cargo line with a slow lane on the outside for trains that are going to make a stop or are about to change to a different line.

Essentially I build all my stations as 2 lanes, then expand them to 4 if they're on a busy section and then go up to 8 if they're on the busy mainline, but the tracks usually stay as a 6 lane, I just need to push loading/unloading trains away from the active railway. I also set up all my crossing points at least a train length away from the station (320m) so a train waiting for another one to finish loading doesn't hold other trains up, and never ever cross directions. Then I use waypoints between stations to make sure passthrough trains take the fast track and stay clear of the slow zones.

The eurostyle crossover railway mod, and the railway tunnel one are godsends for sorting out crossing situations.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
uh game chat catchup -

Old Games : Dwarf Fortress - Awesome still play it to this day. The UI is the only difficulty these days, as you can get a thriving base started with trivial effort on most biomes this day.

New Games : Captain of Industry - 8.5/10 . Awesome game so far. Haven't gotten into the upper level distillations yet, but I am so hooked. Why play Factorio or DSP from the perspective of a single actor.

Demos : Terra Invicta - Not quite a management game, but holy crap. Grognard AF. You can play 7 in game years in the demo. You play the head of a shadowy organization, trying to gain influence over the nations of the world. I assumed you would unify earth, and then go to space to fight the alien menace, but it turns out, you do not have nearly the resources needed to control the world, so you'll end up creating a bloc of like 8 nations or so, and then go compete with the other shadowy organizations.... in SPACE! 8/10

Sapiens - Holy crap, this is the Dwarf Fortress successor if they pull it off right. Thousands of miles of in game terrain, and supposedly, lets you simulate hundreds of years of gameplay, and the demo only covers 2 days. Could be a big hit buy early and often 7.5/10.

s00t - Terrible puzzle game, posing as a simulator/managment game. Not fun. 3.5/10

alright see you nerds later be nice that flare up a few pages back was hilarious.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So why isn't my blast furnace making slag so my concrete mixer can make concrete? I'm mining iron ore.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Because you’re currently running the scrap recipe which produces no slag.

E: see those green triangles under the check marks on the left? They let you change recipe priority. If you up the priority of the iron ore recipe, it’ll run that one when possible (and produce slag) and only run the scrap recipe if you don’t have enough ore.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 15, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You have both recipes enabled, the first one doesn't create Slag as a byproduct and it's getting iron scrap (somehow) to smelt. Uncheck the one that doesn't make slag and you should be good.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mayveena posted:

Minecraft designer(s?) said they were inspired by DF. Thus the connection.

I suppose there's some overlap in that you can potentially yeet unwanted visitors into a pool of lava