Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

if you were described as "gifted" in elementary school but also "lazy" in high school and were told you just needed to "apply yourself" there is a 99.9% chance you have ADHD

ADHD brain works really well when you're in elementary and middle school because everyone's standards for average are "can respond to questions within 30 seconds" and "can colour within the lines without eating the crayons" at that point. as soon as you have to actually put some effort in (high school) your brain doesn't work that way anymore and it's easier to just skip school and smoke fat joints behind the basketball court than it is to try to wrangle your ADHD into submission all while teachers, counsellors, and doctors go "you just need to apply yourself"

oh gently caress. do I get stims now

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

as a person close to someone with ADHD, the effects of stims is that they are able to focus and work or study instead of collapsing from brain overload by 1 pm. also, the side effects of stims are kind of awful.

the ADHD brain is in no filter mode. everything goes in and needs to be processed. this is exhausting.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sniep posted:

POKEY: DRUGS FOR EVERYONE!! HURRAY!!!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

infernal machines posted:

these are the same dipshits that will uncritically report that a google "ai" may be nearing sentience because some idiot had a meltdown after falling in love with a chatbot

https://twitter.com/punished_cait/status/1537192595469783045?t=0ONQsmnkNHeqJLlEKmKsGg&s=19

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

almost the saddest part of that whole story, is before they hired the idiot cosplayer there to pretend to do ai stuff, they had timnit gebru, mitchell and samy bengio doing world class research. but they asked a few questions that would have affected how they make money, so we get dipshit here instead

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

first it was the apes, now the sentient ai

why won't anyone trust Troy McClure?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mr cobblepot there is gonna try to gently caress those sharks

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Broken Machine posted:

almost the saddest part of that whole story, is before they hired the idiot cosplayer there to pretend to do ai stuff, they had timnit gebru, mitchell and samy bengio doing world class research. but they asked a few questions that would have affected how they make money, so we get dipshit here instead

the purpose of those folks was not to do world class research but to help launder the bias, and when they failed to do so they were punished.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Broken Machine posted:

leAdeR iN TEchnOloGy

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

https://twitter.com/yrdsl/status/1537269196102307841

JumpinJackFlash fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 16, 2022

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
People comparing the Google AI guy to The Penguin when really he's Ally Sheedy in Short Circuit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
this Her reboot sucks

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

sometime I wish that these dudes weren’t so predictable.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

haveblue posted:

this Her reboot sucks

lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ultravoices posted:

the real question is did he get into subgenius and discordianism from the books, the board game, or the early 90s mtv commercials

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ultravoices posted:

these guys are so tedious and always the same

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

imspiritual.jpg

those beliefs must be very sincere and very deeply held if he changes them more often than his underwear

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

that chat bot is pretty incredible though, some of those logs where the testers asked leading questions and the bot still maintained that the user was wrong were really impressive.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Like obviously not sentient but making an honest run at the ship's computer on TNG. That wasn't sentient, except the one time it was and tried to make a space baby

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Corla Plankun posted:

the difference between me and a person with 10,000 unread emails is that i have simply deleted 10,000 emails without reading them

:cheers:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

nvrgrls posted:

My Mr. Miller was a high school history teacher and he was actually alright

mr miller taught me to build lego DACTA robots and program them on apple IIs in the robotics class that was in the wood shop because he also taught wood shop.

apple IIs like this but covered in sawdust

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

How to dress when you're out shopping for new socks.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i got some great socks for xmas two years ago. theyre really pro when its super cold

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

echinopsis posted:

wise choice

in retrospect it worked out real good, but at the time I was very sad since I liked my job as a pharmacy tech and the job of a pharmacist seemed like a step up

now I know retail hours suck and hospital pharmacy being 3x12h shifts for 30% less pay is worse

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

also re: adhd brain, I didn’t realise it until uni since secondary was something I never had to study for and then uni brutally destroyed me

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

graph posted:

i got some great socks for xmas two years ago. theyre really pro when its super cold

it's officially a sign of adulthood when you get given socks and you're like "oh good actually this is v. Useful"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
glenn shadix has a posse

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

if im giving you a gift you can expect it to be socks

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/TheFigen/status/1537145721442410497

a transportation platform too stupid even for elon musk

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I wonder if every passenger is supposed to get instructions on where to go to keep the vehicle balanced at all times

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

god drat teens all standing on one side of the roller saucer again

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FMguru posted:

https://twitter.com/TheFigen/status/1537145721442410497

a transportation platform too stupid even for elon musk

wasnt there something like this IRL that had two legs that straddled a couple of lanes?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

wasnt there something like this IRL that had two legs that straddled a couple of lanes?

yes lol the chinese elevated bus

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

yes lol the chinese elevated bus

yeah that one

idk i can see places where it might be good? not some busologist or whatever

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually