Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Mad God may not be for everyone just because the lack of a traditional narrative is gonna turn some people off. I loved it though because it's so dense with things to notice and interpret, and because I felt like I only started to get a handle on what was going on about 3/4 of the way through, I'm definitely going to enjoy rewatching it to notice more things and try to piece more of the story together.

Let's face it. It's only a matter of hours (if not already) until some game development team starts working on a Mad God inspired rogue-like (I'd play the gently caress out of it too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm about halfway through Mad God, and it reminds me of the original Aeon Flux shorts (especially the OG short that was parted up into like 5 episodes for Liquid Television), and I mean it in the best possible way. I absolutely would have lost my poo poo seeing this at 1am when I was 13 years old.

I really hope there will be a physical release of this, because it would be a day -1 purchase for me.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Originals like VHS94, Skull The Mask, Slaxx and Fried Barry getting physical releases makes me hopeful for this

If it happens like those it'll be like half a year or so after being put up on the service (VHS94 came to DVD/Bluray in April after coming to Shudder last October, exactly 6 months); following the same pattern would have it either this December or next January at the earliest, keep an eye out around then

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wish I could have seen Mad God in a theater but the nearest showing was an hour drive for me.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Roth posted:

Wish I could have seen Mad God in a theater but the nearest showing was an hour drive for me.

Only an hour? Poser.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

Only an hour? Poser.

Driving in California is misery

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Roth posted:

Driving in California is misery

*laughs in living in Boston*

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Probably gonna relax and watch Mad God today.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I watched The Relic last night. One of the creature films I never got round to. I found it kind of annoying but the monster itself was cool, especially with its spider face. Apparently the book it's based on is much better, has anyone read it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Karloff posted:

I watched The Relic last night. One of the creature films I never got round to. I found it kind of annoying but the monster itself was cool, especially with its spider face. Apparently the book it's based on is much better, has anyone read it?

It was one of my favorite books when I was a teenager, not sure if it holds up but yea I did love that book. It's very gory and it has a few really good characters that for some reason were completely cut for the movie.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Off topic I guess but The Relic (2020 Australian Film) is pretty good and I thought for a minute you were talking about that. Creepy House of Leaves vibes. I've been meaning to do a rewatch on that one.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Karloff posted:

I also read it as an adolescent! It’s a fun a creature feature and the start of Doug Preston/Lincoln Child’s Pendergast series, in which the titular investigator solves weird/gruesome murders. So if you like it, there’s more.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

HK5000 posted:

Off topic I guess but The Relic (2020 Australian Film) is pretty good and I thought for a minute you were talking about that. Creepy House of Leaves vibes. I've been meaning to do a rewatch on that one.

It's one of my favorite family horror films as of late. As someone who looked after a Grandmother with dementia it hit me pretty hard.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 18, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My memory is that the book The Relic is a pleasant enough read but it's still trash. It's not a "great" book but it's an extremely consumable book. The movie drags in places and is occasionally embarrassing; I don't know if the issue is that the book is better or that you can get away with some dumb poo poo in a paperback novel that you can't get away with in a movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I remember liking Relic a lot but I must have been 12 or so when I read it. Didn't realize there was a sequel, I'll have to check that out.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

SneakySneaks posted:

It's one of my favorite family horror films as of late. As someone who looked after a Grandmother with dementia it hit me pretty hard.

Hope someone doesn't misinterpret "family horror".

This movie really creeped me out.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Hope someone doesn't misinterpret "family horror".

This movie really creeped me out.

Yeah, it's a horror film surrounding a family, not good for the whole family... probably should clarified that bit more.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Trailer for The Menu, a movie about creepy fine dining. Kinda iffy on this one. There’s a decent chance this will involve cannibalism, which is just a big no-no for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUhLIEhATuM

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I also read it as an adolescent! It’s a fun a creature feature and the start of Doug Preston/Lincoln Child’s Pendergast series, in which the titular investigator solves weird/gruesome murders. So if you like it, there’s more.

Incidentally, Doug Preston and his brother Richard both write about some pretty interesting nonfiction stuff. A few years ago Doug wrote an article for the New Yorker about the guy (or one of the guys) who discovered the fossil formation at Hell Creek in Montana that records the day of the K-Pg extinction - it was laid down by the tsunamis and atmospheric fallout from the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs.

Richard wrote, among other things, The Hot Zone, the book that sort of broke the idea of Ebola virus to the general public, and another article, also in the New Yorker, about Lesch-Nyhan syndrome. If you haven't run into that one before, it's a form of hereditary gout that often causes the people who live with it to suffer compulsions of self-harm. (So, obviously, content warning for descriptions of self-harm if you click through.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'll go to bat for The Relic being a great summer read novel and the movie is good as well.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Mad God's got the goop you want, baby. It's less of a movie than it is an experience, but it accurately feels like what it would be like to capture a nightmare on film. Some absolutely memorable moments and visuals, and perhaps the largest (by volume) quantity of diarrhea ever put to film.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Mad God gave me heavy 90s video game cutscene vibes, in the best possible way.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

married but discreet posted:

Phil Tippett to make the Skullmonkeys movie when?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

married but discreet posted:

I was constantly thinking of Tool music videos. But I wanted to chime in and say Mad God was great. I got to see it in a theater and I think it will be a future classic if it’s treated well (ie a good physical release and strong word of mouth).

I also watched Crimes of the Future this week and nearly had to walk out of the theater to compose myself but I’m glad I stuck it through. It’s so bleak and nauseating but I think it’s the most concise rumination on transhumanism that Cronenberg has ever made. I can’t recommended to everyone but I think it’s a masterpiece.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I saw Crimes of the Future earlier this week but I was exhausted and I sort of nodded off a couple times, not the film’s fault though. I thought it was good but I’ll need to watch it again to form an actual opinion.

Also watched Mad God this morning, the stop motion stuff is fantastic but the live action parts didn’t do as much for me. Still very good overall though and extremely unique, the only film I can think of that’s similar is Saint Bernard but that doesn’t have any stop motion stuff in it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Lol I put on TCM: The Next Generation. It’s been a long week.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dorium posted:

Lol I put on TCM: The Next Generation. It’s been a long week.

ngl its a guilty pleasure of mine

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Do you people like Shudder? I hear about some exclusive stuff they have every now and then that sounds great like The Devils or Mad God but do you feel you get your value out of your subscription?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wish I could get Shudder but even with a VPN they demand a credit card from an appropriate country.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Do you people like Shudder? I hear about some exclusive stuff they have every now and then that sounds great like The Devils or Mad God but do you feel you get your value out of your subscription?

yeah Shudder rules, I probably watch more stuff on it than any other streaming service and it’s also the cheapest one I pay for. They have a lot of exclusives, not all are winners of course but there are plenty of good to great ones as well.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

yeah Shudder rules, I probably watch more stuff on it than any other streaming service and it’s also the cheapest one I pay for. They have a lot of exclusives, not all are winners of course but there are plenty of good to great ones as well.

This is the definitive review IMO. If you're posting in this thread, Shudder is 100% designed for you.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kart Barfunkel posted:

shudder has mad god

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

and psycho goreman

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It’s not my go to but it’s usually worth $5 a month. You watch one movie on there and it pays for itself

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Amazon Video has an add-on called AMC+ which is I think $8.99 a month and it includes Shudder. Definitely one of the best deals you can get as far as the amount of content for the money.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I got to meet Joe Bob and Darcy at a con today. It was a lot of fun.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I feel like I do. In addition to being among the cheaper side of the (imo very-hosed-and-bad) streaming service industry, there's a consistent enough set of stuff that interests me made regularly available (even if not necessarily exclusives/originals) it justifies the price

Mad God this week alone would have justified the price of the month for me; it was an added bonus that this week I also got to see Clovehitch Killer, an indie film I missed from a couple years ago that I kept hearing about and wound up loving. Earlier in the month they uploaded the restorations of Alligator 1 and 2, and at the beginning of the month they uploaded In the Mouth of Madness, an absolute classic IMO; all three I recommend to fans who've never seen them before (I already own them so I may not be streaming them but I still support watching them if you have money for the service if not for the physical copies)

Next month's slate includes:
On The Third Day - an Argentinean gothic mystery that surprised me when it came to VOD earlier in the year
a GWAR documentary
They Live, The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978, Prince of Darkness, Escape from NY, Return of the Living Dead, Santa Sangre, and Planet of the Vampires - all classics imo
God Told Me To, 1BR, The Burning, Tombs of the Blind Dead, Phantom of the Mall, Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion, and Suspicious Death of a Minor - all underrated films imo that deserve a second chance (or first chance if you've never had one with any of them)

and that's just the stuff that immediately catches my eye as either stuff I've seen and recommend (aside from the GWAR documentary, which is the exclusive I'm most interested in)

The only reason it's not my favorite streaming service is because a) HBO Max has more new stuff I watch and consistently love, and b) Criterion Channel has a more impressive and gigantic archive. Being more affordable than both, if I had to pick one to recommend it'd still be the easiest, and if you're a fan of the genre it's The Service most worth at least a month try

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

ngl its a guilty pleasure of mine

It’s like ok, matt mcconaughey holds it all together towards the end because he’s just so fascinating to watch as he loses it and does frankly too much but since there isn’t much meat on the bones you’re kinda just hanging on by your teeth. Thankfully it’s a swift 90.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I wish I could get Shudder but even with a VPN they demand a credit card from an appropriate country.

See if its available through Amazon Channels feature, I know someone who had the same problem and found that they could get it on Amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

and psycho goreman

PG for short