Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
anyone have any tips for good sample packs for doing lofi/downtempo on a digitakt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

this is it. listen to jonny. it's all about the context of your music and where it would be played and how it would fit into a larger set. take music you like and study it, break it apart, keep reference tracks on hand.

also this is a good rear end track

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m personally a huge fan of the free obx plugin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

ok i hope that was interesting!

it was mate, thanks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Laserjet 4P posted:

good good feedback

Jonny 290 posted:

good good feedback

I am larrrrrrrrninnnnn

alright, I think I might revisit some of my older tracks with this in mind. if the intent is to facilitate mixing, then that implies that I should think of sections as having “wings” of a sort, and those wings overlapping (or not) helps define the transition between sections. and maybe that’s something I’ve been missing. or maybe I got that totally wrong lol

thank you!!!! Im gonna try making a track with all this in mind now

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kernel Sanders posted:

anyone have any tips for good sample packs for doing lofi/downtempo on a digitakt?

same, I need a good pack with vocals and sfx

soon enough I’m just gonna start sampling ar tonelico and nier

Laserjet 4P posted:

makin’ music thread: loving looove to talk about makin’ music way more than actually making it

man don’t put me on blast like this……

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

i did it, i made more music, because that's really unusual

another one that i've been working on here and there. actually took some time to do some mixing and mastering this time even! it took me a long time to be satisfied with the balance of it with so much stuff going on

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/the-beauty-beneath

not completely perfect, but oh well, pretty good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pollyanna posted:

I am larrrrrrrrninnnnn

alright, I think I might revisit some of my older tracks with this in mind. if the intent is to facilitate mixing, then that implies that I should think of sections as having “wings” of a sort, and those wings overlapping (or not) helps define the transition between sections. and maybe that’s something I’ve been missing. or maybe I got that totally wrong lol

Yeah no thats totally it. The end goal of making a dj-mixable track is having those friendly interfaces on both ends

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

I am larrrrrrrrninnnnn

in that sense building a set is sort of like trying to solve a puzzle, so if your track is mixable, it’s fine. think of it like wood joinery; if you can connect two tracks with a half lap joint it’s better than a basic butt joint (just gis for pics)

some tracks work better than others when mixed together, and one of the coolest things is having a lot of overlap that sounds good so then it’s almost a mashup. “extended” mixes of tracks often do feature those extra measures so you can do exactly that.

anyway first get the structure right. analyze existing tracks. use a spreadsheet - rows are tracks, columns are measures. start with the kick drum and color in when you hear it like it was grid paper. repeat for every instrument in the track. the end result looks v much like what you see in a daw.

Pollyanna posted:

man don’t put me on blast like this……

i am by far the most guilty of this

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

it’ll be interesting to see how that comes out for different genres…or at least i’d expect different structure between Massive Attack, Nine Inch Nails, Kodály, and the Etrian Odyssey soundtrack. I’ll try it out tho I might replace the spreadsheet with just a note or two per track-measure in renoise cause that’s less of a pain :v:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i don't see a benefit to transcribing into a spreadsheet over a daw, am i missing something? daw is easier and you do stuff with the result

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

i don't see a benefit to transcribing into a spreadsheet over a daw, am i missing something? daw is easier and you do stuff with the result

daws work as well but spreadsheets are dumber technology and won’t tempt you into immediately trying to make it into a track.

analysis and arrangement can thus be kept separate. i am a big believer in not trying to do half a dozen things at once because at its core, making music is making decisions, and you already get lots of those at the same time

also originally it wasn’t even spreadsheets, it was graph paper but i’m :corsair:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ffffffair yeah

could use my notebook at work

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

lol i thought you were talking poo poo about renoise for a second

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
oh yeah this is probably pretty useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqJKzJPKoZE

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Someone forwarded me an amusing voicemail, so I did this. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/id-like-some-censoreding-names

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s nothin

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

c music s nothin

make some imo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

c music s: wrote a really cool riff but there's this feeling in the back of my head that I may have ripped it off from dream theater

this is somewhat compounded by the fact that I'm using the exact same gear that john petrucci uses

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZTMlXjaANI

thought you might find this interesting 290, the device is literally a tuning fork

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yo the helix hx effects is the coolest piece of gear I've ever purchased. it's got a shitload of DSP horsepower, enough to do a near zero latency (I can't feel it) polyphonic pitch shifter. multiple guitars in multiple tunings? eight strings? no need homie, line 6 has you fuckin covered

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s lol i keep making low effort 2 minute tracks that aren’t terribly well arranged and fart out HARD towards the end

i really need to work on large scale arrangement

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ml should do a thunderdome but for music

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

c music s lol i keep making low effort 2 minute tracks that aren’t terribly well arranged and fart out HARD towards the end

i really need to work on large scale arrangement

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSdv5VH6b/?k=1

same. but I am content with it, because that’s what I enjoy doing and any more than that is a chore and my brain can’t deal with more and I don’t mind

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i should probably get some samples i like better than the stock stuff on my groovebox but ugh, decision paralysis. anyone used any of the samples from mars samples? they’re on sale again.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theres always https://free-sample-packs.com/all-free-sample-packs/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jony neuemonic posted:

i should probably get some samples i like better than the stock stuff on my groovebox but ugh, decision paralysis. anyone used any of the samples from mars samples? they’re on sale again.

I think I got that pack

it's paralysingly large

I had great intentions to fill up my groovebox with samples, but I kind of fell into using a DAW instead

drat I regret selling my synth :cry: I would actually buy another just the same, but I can't afford it lol

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

oh that’s cool. thanks!

echinopsis posted:

I think I got that pack

it's paralysingly large

I had great intentions to fill up my groovebox with samples, but I kind of fell into using a DAW instead

drat I regret selling my synth :cry: I would actually buy another just the same, but I can't afford it lol

yeah i don’t think grabbing the mega pack would do me any good for exactly that reason. the 101 and 303 packs are appealing though (plus something for drums obv).

jony neuemonic fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 18, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

echinopsis posted:

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSdv5VH6b/?k=1

same. but I am content with it, because that’s what I enjoy doing and any more than that is a chore and my brain can’t deal with more and I don’t mind

ooh I’m a fan of how percussive those tones are

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pure obxd plugin (it free)

use this bad boy constantly

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

with the body of the patch and the rhythmic notes I half expected it to be some sorta west coast thing. interesting

I really need to experiment more with synth patches, maybe I’ll try playing with that vst and recreating latches from it in vital

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I personally think it’s very worthwhile limiting yourself to a simple synth like that (for a while) can do a lot for understanding just how much you can get out of a simple synth and the huge variety of sounds you get from a couple oscillators going into a decent filter and envelope

that synth in particular is nice because it’s got detune but also spread which means the different voices have a slightly different tune and then you’ve got env/filt/glide slop to apply to each voice so you get this really wide sound

plus it’s the synth used at the start of “jump” by van haven and it’s the default sound that it starts with and playing an octave chord in lower registers sounds so god drat fat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/thmkYE-6fTs

also for fun watch this for some background on why the synth was such a highly regarded beast

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

echinopsis posted:

plus it’s the synth used at the start of “jump” by van haven

lmao sold

thanks for the rec! there’s so many different ways to synth it up out there and ngl I don’t think I’ll ever understand or make something with it all but I sure am having fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

with the body of the patch and the rhythmic notes I half expected it to be some sorta west coast thing. interesting

the rhythm part is arpeggiated (stock ableton arp) and I muck around with the sync rate over the song which might account for some of what you heard

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

interesting, I should really play with some more off-the-wall sequencers though idk how well that’ll go alongside a tracker

here’s something I dropped a while ago and “””finish”””ed up today

AWFUL NOISES WARNING

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/scung

I think the best I can describe it as is some sorta lovely industrial

im not happy with it lol it’s pretty crummy and underbaked

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

interesting, I should really play with some more off-the-wall sequencers though idk how well that’ll go alongside a tracker

here’s something I dropped a while ago and “””finish”””ed up today

AWFUL NOISES WARNING

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/scung

I think the best I can describe it as is some sorta lovely industrial

im not happy with it lol it’s pretty crummy and underbaked

lol it was ok. I liked "I should really learn how to name things"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

they released the same synth I had but as a mini keyboard version and the retail is under half of what the new one was...

a mini keyboard IS bogus, BUT, maybe I could learn to live with it, and could always use another keyboard, and the one thing that put me off from the first one was the size, because it was built like a tank, it was BIG and HEAVY, and while I carry in my mind the dream of still playing live (but as time goes on I wonder if I am just too pathetic to do so), I can easily use that excuse to defend the purchase of this..

the other option is the not-quite-as-small but much smaller pad version which once again could be driven by midi but has some pads with aftertouch..

man I am dreaming again lol

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Laserjet 4P posted:

djing is also about reading the room and knowing when to back off a bit and when to continue. powerblock mixing keeps the energy level (exhaustingly) high but can be pretty cool at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt6xxMjbMg0

lots of dance music is about energy level which is an abstract combo of volumes, frequency range and impulses. a snare roll doing a crescendo is a simple example of that. djing teaches that this must be used effectively - people dancing must be able to anticipate it but not able to fully predict it. so, likewise, your song can use these tropes in a similar way.

you basically program your own neural net on lots of similar but not identical training data so you get a feel for where it should fit in your own track.

lol i watched this video and the tricks make no sense whatsoever and i guess it is because you need to understand the mixedinkey software that the guy is shilling. so i assume the software automagically scans your tracks and converts-maps the key from a regular c/d/e/f... scale to this weird A/B 1-12.. which now makes sense because there are 12 semitones in an octave and i guess the A and B are meant to signify major/minor

the energy level stuff seems totally inapplicable though. that's not how i think about music at all, and i feel that following this advice i can only become good at djing this whatever the modern electro style the guy is using in the video. i don't listen to that stuff at all so i need to find other inspiration probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

if you buy tracks from beatport they already have key metadata for dj software, actual key too, not some dumbass proprietary symbol