Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Pillowpants posted:

Yeah - this is the second episode in a row I’ve legitimately enjoyed.

Same here, strangely.

One thing, when did they stop the Barry Allen voice over in the credits, "I'm the fastest man alive..."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Sometimes they let other characters have the VoiceOver instead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of goofy that Tom Cavanagh officially left the show but is right back on.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Seems like a pretty sweet deal to just guest star as Thawne a few episodes of the season. It’s clearly the role he originally sighed on to play, as fun as the Wellses were and as much as I’m sure he enjoyed the steady paycheck, this way he gets to play the better role, chew scenery and do other stuff (like MATES) as long as the show lasts

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
drat you all for convincing me to watch the last episode after having given up... drat me for liking it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
This is like the 3rd episode in a row that's been...decent?

I'm nonplussed.

Also, Danielle Nicolet is a legit MVP. Seriously, Cecile is a load-bearing character and an ever-present delight.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm willing to say the show is good again. The double Thawnes are a compelling mystery, Cecile is getting to do cool stuff on her own, and nobody's talked about levelling up in a few episodes.

This last episode felt the most "comic book" the show has in a long time, too. Good character back and forth, lots of plots set up, and a few mysteries that should hopefully have a decent payoff. Plus Diggle's Box of Mystery, although I'm disappointed it wasn't a GL ring, seems to have set up a LOT of crazy stuff that I hope the show explores. Thawne talking about the Source Wall? Yes, please.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Is there an explanation for Diggles box? I thought is was a GL thing but I don't follow the comics much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Burning_Monk posted:

Is there an explanation for Diggles box? I thought is was a GL thing but I don't follow the comics much.

They've left it extremely vague. Originally it was definitely supposed to be a GL ring but it seems pretty clear that they changed their mind on it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Burning_Monk posted:

It definitely WAS a GL ring, at least when they first introduced it.

Thawne mentioned "Mandrakk" when talking about the box, which is a pretty deep cut from the comics. Basically there's an evil Monitor out there (not the Anti-Monitor, though) who's a vampire that feeds on all of reality. He's also supposed to represent corporate big wigs who feed off the labor of creative people, which would be an interesting meta path to take this show for sure.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Was that… a third good episode? What is happening?

I kinda had a hunch that they were building up to evil negative versions of the forces. I wonder if Wells-Thawne is supposed to be the avatar of the negative speed force?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

A Fancy Hat posted:

It definitely WAS a GL ring, at least when they first introduced it.

Thawne mentioned "Mandrakk" when talking about the box, which is a pretty deep cut from the comics. Basically there's an evil Monitor out there (not the Anti-Monitor, though) who's a vampire that feeds on all of reality. He's also supposed to represent corporate big wigs who feed off the labor of creative people, which would be an interesting meta path to take this show for sure.

A glowing green box that wants Diggle to travel the cosmos having lifetimes of adventure sounds pretty much like a lantern ring but I hope the show drops it there. I no longer trust Flash to do anything anymore.

The way the show has been trending it would either be something else entirely that is a random mishmash of already stupid comic poo poo like turning Diggle into a New God and introducing some guy in a plastic breastplate to teach him about the source wall while they punch people and talk about tachyons in a warehouse or they would take the worst part of the Green Lantern canon and have six kinds of assholes running around with different rings doing a lovely knockoff Captain Planet routine that causes Flash to shoot Rainbow lightning at the grim reaper or something.

No new plots or arcs please.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't know why you've all formed a conspiracy to convince me that I stopped watching at exactly the wrong time, but it's not working.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rectal Death Adept posted:

A glowing green box that wants Diggle to travel the cosmos having lifetimes of adventure sounds pretty much like a lantern ring but I hope the show drops it there. I no longer trust Flash to do anything anymore.

The way the show has been trending it would either be something else entirely that is a random mishmash of already stupid comic poo poo like turning Diggle into a New God and introducing some guy in a plastic breastplate to teach him about the source wall while they punch people and talk about tachyons in a warehouse or they would take the worst part of the Green Lantern canon and have six kinds of assholes running around with different rings doing a lovely knockoff Captain Planet routine that causes Flash to shoot Rainbow lightning at the grim reaper or something.

No new plots or arcs please.

There's this, but it also just generally feels very appropriate for them to end the year long gently caress you to the fans in this terrible show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I kinda had a hunch that they were building up to evil negative versions of the forces. I wonder if Wells-Thawne is supposed to be the avatar of the negative speed force?

It had some okay parts but I loving hate the forces and they drag the show down every time they show up.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

It had some okay parts but I loving hate the forces and they drag the show down every time they show up.

These were the negative forces though.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

The Lord Bude posted:

They sure are a negative.

Also, I have never seen anyone look as uncomfortable just standing as the actor who plays Deon. I don't know if it's intentional or it has to do with the jacket he has to wear, but it's striking.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I don't know if some of the Legends or Supergirl or Batwoman writers hopped over to help out, but these last few episodes have been remarkably better than the last 2 or so seasons.

Actual stakes? Actual intrigue? Compelling hooks at the end of each episode to keep you watching? The Flash getting to do cool stuff that still makes sense within the world they've created?

The Forces Arc was the 2nd worst the show has ever been to me, personally, after Savitar. But this stuff with the negative forces has been great, I really enjoyed this last episode. Could they bungle the landing? Maybe, but I'm enjoying the ride so far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's a question, Eobard had his mask off when his face got ripped apart and Reverse Flash had his mask on underneath. So does that mean his costume has two masks?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

Here's a question, Eobard had his mask off when his face got ripped apart and Reverse Flash had his mask on underneath. So does that mean his costume has two masks?

Reverse Flash was actually wearing a totally different costume - he had the cleaned up yellow and red one, Eobard was wearing the old Season 1 Reverse Flash costume that had turned mostly black.

So there was a fully suited Reverse Flash inside of Eobard, at least for a bit. Pretty gnarly.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

Hey man, the Still Force, the Strength Force, etc., whatever, but now we have the NEGATIVE versions of them now!? The way I see it, they're all gonna end up being the same in the end.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I really HATE how the forces call Barry and Iris, mom and dad. It's just sooooo creepy, every time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is confusing because it is inconsistent. Speed Force Nora isn't actually Nora but the others are/were people who were transformed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I mean technically Barry and Iris did create them.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Its similar to people who refer to themselves as their pets Mommy

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 25, 2022

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Vietnamwees posted:

Hey man, the Still Force, the Strength Force, etc., whatever, but now we have the NEGATIVE versions of them now!? The way I see it, they're all gonna end up being the same in the end.

Negative just refers to the CGI budget they get. Negative Strength (weak?) Force no longer transforms into a giant CGI hulk, she just stomps the ground and has glowing eyes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of, the effect when Thawne was being powered up with the Negative Speed Force was so bad. Just bad CG lightning that doesn't cast light on anything around it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well I guess Iris isn't dead as Candice Patton has signed a contract for next season.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Getting paid for doing nothing is the dream.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Money money money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do wonder if she's going to continue to be siloed off into her own separate arcs where she barely interacts with the main cast. Especially since Joe isn't sticking around next year.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Maybe she is the final big bad

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If Iris leaves, then how are they gonna resolve the kids Nora & Bart's existence??

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vietnamwees posted:

If Iris leaves, then how are they gonna resolve the kids Nora & Bart's existence??

I assume it would have been a thing where she would leave the show and then come back for the series finale to make sure everything wraps up neatly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This show is an anime now I guess.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Wasn’t anime enough. Flash should’ve gotten a new form (visually) during that fight. The lack of merchandising really hurts the storytelling.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Lol imagine how much of this chaotic poo poo wouldn't have happened if Barry killed the bad guy for once

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

DiscoJ posted:

Wasn’t anime enough. Flash should’ve gotten a new form (visually) during that fight. The lack of merchandising really hurts the storytelling.

Yes I was very disappointed when he didn’t get a new suit for his combined forces form like thawne did.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
What you're describing with new merchandisable forms is Kamen Rider.

If you like Season 1 of the Flash, new forms, and anime, please watch Kamen Rider Build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thawne's new costume was terrible. It really didn't work with his face, made it look way too chubby. Also, yeah, Barry not getting a visual upgrade was dumb.