Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The switch barely takes up the space of a big book the gently caress are yall talking about lol. Ive taken the thing backcounty backpacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
joycons suck and render the switch unusable.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the ps vita is still the best portable console from a form-factor standpoint even if it had a bunch of gimmicks and like 3 games

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

too busy trying to airdrop random people pictures of my dog at the airport to game

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

lol if u didn't lug your gameboy everywhere in a big black padded case with 12 cartridges, a screen magnifier, headphones, and a battery pack

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just carried tetris DX everywhere or maybe pokemon silver

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i considered getting a steam deck, but i realise i've never really done much handheld gaming and it would probably end up being a Gadget

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Roosevelt posted:

lol if u didn't lug your gameboy everywhere in a big black padded case with 12 cartridges, a screen magnifier, headphones, and a battery pack

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

dioxazine posted:

i considered getting a steam deck, but i realise i've never really done much handheld gaming and it would probably end up being a Gadget
same. also i can wait for a second revision, i was a bit worried about fan noise

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
the switch is loving enormous. itd be barely acceptable if it was just the size of the screen

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

dioxazine posted:

also while i think the post above is wrong, the switch is about as large as i think a handheld can reasonably be and still bring along to the airport. i don't think i'd ever take a steam deck outside the house:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i just started chapter 3 and the quarry loving rules so far

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

The kids with Lynxes were sitting wherever the nearest free power outlet was lmao.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carrying around a vintage gameboy looks cool. carrying around a Nintendo switch as an adult makes you look like a huge dweeb

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

akadajet posted:

carrying around a vintage gameboy looks cool. carrying around a Nintendo switch as an adult makes you look like a huge dweeb

Everyone except me ITT looks like a huge dweeb anyway. (I'm the guy in the gigachad memes, by the by.)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

akadajet posted:

carrying around a vintage gameboy looks cool

lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
just get a thumby instead

the switch is absolutely too big to be portable outside of the house. i have massive hands and imo it's still too big. i've never seen a steam deck irl but that just seems ridiculous

the anbernic thing i posted about earlier is a pretty good size imo (the laptop is 12", for reference):

but i probably still wouldn't use it on the subway or something

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

looking like a stuffy professor already the switch (beyond being a nice hassle-free way of playing some games) at most humanizes me in public, where showing up with a vintage 80s device or random alibaba garbage is sure to make me look like a loon.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

looking like a stuffy professor already the switch (beyond being a nice hassle-free way of playing some games) at most humanizes me in public, where showing up with a vintage 80s device or random alibaba garbage is sure to make me look like a loon.

i mean i could definitely see myself bringing it on a flight or something, but just plopping down in a park or whatever to play it? oh hell no lol

for cheap garbage it's pretty nice i think, i paid $110 for it. metal case, OLED, good joysticks/buttons/dpad, decent battery life, emulates everything up to a dreamcast, also has kodi

e: it also works with steam link, so that's pretty neat too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter posted:

just get a thumby instead

the switch is absolutely too big to be portable outside of the house. i have massive hands and imo it's still too big. i've never seen a steam deck irl but that just seems ridiculous

the anbernic thing i posted about earlier is a pretty good size imo (the laptop is 12", for reference):

but i probably still wouldn't use it on the subway or something

how do you use the analog sticks? I can't figure out how to hold it comfortably and also be able to reach them

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The new Ninja Turtles game is alright. Not as thoughtfully put together as Streets of Rage 4 but it's nice to have a couple of these revivals be legitimately good.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

haveblue posted:

how do you use the analog sticks? I can't figure out how to hold it comfortably and also be able to reach them

with my thumbs? lol

i mean it's basically the same layout as a switch pro controller, it's not that hard?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I mean it looks like if I had a solid grip on the case my thumbs would be too high to reach down to them

maybe I'll go play with one in a store or something

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fabricated posted:

The new Ninja Turtles game is alright. Not as thoughtfully put together as Streets of Rage 4 but it's nice to have a couple of these revivals be legitimately good.

yeah, also is really charming, in a way that sor4 wasn't necessarily. i appreciate game pass especially for these as i played each for about an hour knowing i wouldnt care to finish them, but very much enjoyed foot clan ninjas working desk jobs before rushing you.

now playing floppy knights, which is way more my kind of game.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 19, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

haveblue posted:

I mean it looks like if I had a solid grip on the case my thumbs would be too high to reach down to them

maybe I'll go play with one in a store or something

ah i see what you mean. i guess it's not really a problem for me since i would only need both sticks if i'm using MAME or, like, mapped one of them to the d-pad for dreamcast, but again, apparently my thumbs are freakishly long

if you angle your thumbs a bit it's not terribly difficult though. wife's hands are probably literally half the size of mine and she didn't have a problem playing bioshock on steam link

e: also, this is a bit silly, but it supports bluetooth and USB OTG (it runs full blown linux), so you can connect whatever controller you want to it. micro hdmi/dp out is on the top

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 19, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

as an adult i only play video games in the privacy of my home with the curtains closed so nobody can witness my shame

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

akadajet posted:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The Fool posted:

fft is over hyped

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Roosevelt posted:

open up your rear end

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, also is really charming, in a way that sor4 wasn't necessarily. i appreciate game pass especially for these as i played each for about an hour knowing i wouldnt care to finish them, but very much enjoyed foot clan ninjas working desk jobs before rushing you.

my brother and i played through tmnt with 2 players like all of the previous ones going back to the og arcade. it was fun, but very much a one-shot deal. honestly, if you are an hour into it, you don't have much further to go to finish it. i think it took us less than 90 minutes

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

akadajet posted:

Look at this insecure little fella projecting lol who cares what anyone else is doing / what they think of you they're probably a fascist idiot anyway, or worse, like SPORTSBALL

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
just gonna go to the bar this afternoon to watch THE GAME because im not some nerd :hehe:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Imagine what people think of your music choices *shudders*

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 19, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

just gonna go to the bar this afternoon to watch THE GAME because im not some nerd :hehe:

Seriouspost I can't watch sports because its so boring I become so uneasy it's physically unpleasant. And if its a bar everyone else will only want to talk about the game.

Can't watch people play games either, that's just as boring.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I mean unpleasant for me, not that I start shidding and fardding and ruin everyone else's evening

E: can't watch boring shows on TV either. Doesn't have to be sports.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

yeah it's slow as poo poo and has some dumb level design. I liked ffta a lot but the genre as a whole really lacks a solid execution. Xcom 2 is good but honestly I think the gloomhaven pc port is the best in class so far.

I tried troubleshooters: abandoned children and it's really thrown everything at the wall. Only thing going for it other than as a time sink is that the extremely anime characters and dialogue are better than I expected

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011
i enjoy watching and playing things i enjoy thank you

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

polyester concept posted:

as an adult i only play video games in the privacy of my home with the curtains closed so nobody can witness my shame
me since 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

absolute irl lomarf at this bit in the latest MATN Fallout4 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6aO8VAJM_A&t=1929s
^^Timestamped

This new challenge has every enemy dropping (and using) legendary weapons, with the side effect that only tougher-level enemies can have legendaries so he's a level 1 character against absolute bastard opponents :o:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 19, 2022