Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Time was when you typed a topic into a search engine, you'd get a list of websites related to that thing. Now all you get is endless affiliate marketing sites filling up the first three pages of search results.

In 2004, if I typed in "goku pants," I'd get whatever websites are about that. Maybe people that make them. Maybe people that have opinions about them. Now it would be endless pages of "The TOP 15 Goku Pants in 2022 (UPDATED)" from hastily made-up websites with names like https://www.goku-pants-guide.com.

I miss the old days.

SO, is there a search engine, or a way to use a search engine, that avoids/hides/deletes these spammy-rear end affiliate websites from offending my sight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
You could try metager...it's ok. Or maybe you have to search for goku pants opinions or someyhing...I dunno.

I wonder if there's any interest in an undetectable app that hits Google up for random junk...thereby making most of your search related data garbage. Could be a major thorn in one's side if uptake was large enough.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
to get good results be sure to add 'site:forums.somethingawful.com' to your search query

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
you dont hth op

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Just start blogging.

Tell your friends to start blogging.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I started using cookbooks again because I got sick of scrolling through five pages of rambling nonsense before ever recipe on the internet.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

maybe you can just make a GBS thread every time you want to search for something

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Just accept that maybe acess to unlimited free information might mean having to deal with a tiny amouny of bullshit I guess OP, you lil crybaby bitch

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
If it links to Amazon its bullshit, hth

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It’s gotten especially bad in the last year or so. The interesting thing is you’ll see the exact same text copied across half a dozen different sites. Occasionally I find what is obviously the original source from which the affiliate sites have plagiarized the content.

Wouldn’t surprise me if folks are working on something similar to an ad-blocker? If nothing else, the affiliate sites probably all use the same domain registrar.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Extra Large Marge posted:

I started using cookbooks again because I got sick of scrolling through five pages of rambling nonsense before ever recipe on the internet.

Yeah wtf is up with that poo poo? And it happened so suddenly too.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mooey Cow posted:

SEO. Google ranks searches via a multitude of factors, and one is having substantial content on a page. So more filler = more content with strategic keywords = ranked higher when you search for “biscuits and gravy recipe” at 2am.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Death to algorithms.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mooey Cow posted:

Allowing someone whose goal is "quickly find basic recipe without frills" to quickly find a basic recipe without frills is bad for business, OP. Where is the monetization? You can have to make the viewer wander around the page/site looking for basic info because while they are doing that you can point ads at them.

This post not a joke.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

kntfkr posted:

Death to algorithms.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Going on the internet without an ad blocker is like going outside without pants.

I wonder if i could get rich selling routers with a built-in pi-hole :thunk:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

wtf is this bullshit ads own. how else are you going to know what to spend youre money on moron?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mooey Cow posted:

Going on the internet without an ad blocker is like going outside without pants.

I wonder if i could get rich selling routers with a built-in pi-hole :thunk:

Your market base is almost zero, because anyone savvy enough to know what a router is has already figured something out. ATT, Verizon, and Comcast are never including something like that with their home packages, which is like 99.999999% of the userbase

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I was only looking for the lyrics to "Fast Food Fuckin" but you know maybe I will buy a timeshare instead, thanks ad

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
drop out of life with bong in hand

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Almost every recipe site with SEO before the recipe also has a [Jump to Recipe] button at the top of the page.

Also,

kntfkr posted:

Death to algorithms.

Bing might beat Google these days. Like OP said, Google returns technically correct searches that ignore context. For example, I was trying to dig up evidence of a movie promotional ad that also included the name of the fake university within said movie. I only got college application results and community college ads. It's borderline unusable unless you are looking for a product to search.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
whats a pi hole

besides something I should shut maybe

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Target Practice posted:

whats a pi hole

besides something I should shut maybe

It’s the nickname I gave ur dads mouth. (It’s a DNS server you set up at home that fucks up ads and blocks links to them)

Howard Beale posted:

I was only looking for the lyrics to "Fast Food Fuckin" but you know maybe I will buy a timeshare instead, thanks ad

Weird I got a Ronald McDonald-themed OnlyFans from that search.

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018
try https://search.marginalia.nu/, it's useless if you want usable results but fun if you want to spend a while browsing through peoples personal websites from 2003

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

funeral home DJ posted:

It’s the nickname I gave ur dads mouth. (It’s a DNS server you set up at home that fucks up ads and blocks links to them)

Weird I got a Ronald McDonald-themed OnlyFans from that search.

I think that might just be from your browsing history

Big Steveo
Apr 5, 2007

by astral
The issue of duplicate content across various sites has ramped up recently. It's frustrating because it can make finding original, quality information much harder. I would like to know if these sites use a familiar domain registrar or if another factor is at play.
Regarding search engines, I've found a few that are more focused on filtering out such spammy content. DuckDuckGo does a better job at providing more diversified and less ad-centric results. It's not perfect, but a step in the right direction. You might also want to try using specific search operators in Google to narrow down your results, like adding ""-site:example.com"" to exclude certain domains known for affiliate marketing.
Regarding the creation and visibility of websites, it's crucial to consider aspects like SEO. Tools like an SEO topical map can be helpful in this context. They help organise and optimise content around specific topics, increasing a site's visibility in search engine results. This [url=]topical mapping service[/url] can be a game changer, especially for those who want to stand out in a sea of repetitive content.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
The thing I don’t get about the weird rambling recipe sites is that’s not even how SEO works. Everyone says they’re doing it ‘for SEO’ but sticking in a bunch of completely unrelated bollocks about how their nans house smelt in 1994 isn’t how Google works, like at all.

It’s just some weird myth and because everyone does it, Google has no alternative but to show it, and then everyone assumes the site that’s at the top is winning because of it, so everyone does it.

The top list affiliate code thing though is definitely SEO and is working because most normal people do genuinely prefer those articles over the nerds solution of wading into a confusing Reddit thread that suddenly pivots into hard racism 3 scrolls down.

naem
May 29, 2011

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

DavidCameronsPig posted:

The thing I don’t get about the weird rambling recipe sites is that’s not even how SEO works. Everyone says they’re doing it ‘for SEO’ but sticking in a bunch of completely unrelated bollocks about how their nans house smelt in 1994 isn’t how Google works, like at all.

It’s just some weird myth and because everyone does it, Google has no alternative but to show it, and then everyone assumes the site that’s at the top is winning because of it, so everyone does it.

I've also heard the (probably false) explanation that you can't copyright a recipe but you can copyright all that content before the recipe.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

HappyHippo posted:

I've also heard the (probably false) explanation that you can't copyright a recipe but you can copyright all that content before the recipe.

I've heard the same. But what would be the point? If you are stealing a recipe why bother stealing the preamble?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

kntfkr posted:

Death to algorithms.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I've heard the same. But what would be the point? If you are stealing a recipe why bother stealing the preamble?

Yeah I dunno. In the end, it's probably a combination of factors
- Google might actually prefer websites with lots of text, so maybe it's SEO
- Forcing you to scroll down means more ads will load, so more revenue
- If the recipe is too easy to scrape, google will probably take it and put it in one of those info boxes they do. Then no one would even click through to your website
- Recipe bloggers probably think of themselves as writers first, and they'd rather include a story rather than just present the recipe by itself.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

I've been trying out Kagi and it's a huge improvement over the other options I've used. The base results it serves up are better (I see things like blogs on the first page of results again :eyepop:) but it also lets you block or promote domains in your account settings. There's a global leaderboard of most blocked domains, the top of which should surprise no one:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ben shapino posted:

maybe you can just make a GBS thread every time you want to search for something

GBS SEARCH: How to delete nudes accidentally sent?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
As a fellow use of Kagi, it is my duty to promote it. It's not going to 'just work' out of the box, but the ability to just block (and promote) whole someone as a first class feature means you quickly land on better results

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

super nailgun posted:

I've been trying out Kagi and it's a huge improvement over the other options I've used. The base results it serves up are better (I see things like blogs on the first page of results again :eyepop:) but it also lets you block or promote domains in your account settings. There's a global leaderboard of most blocked domains, the top of which should surprise no one:

lmfao

i'm not going to pay :10bux: a month for a loving se

there are free ways to block pinterest

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
frankly if you don't pay directly for a service they have no obligation to not make it as lovely as possible and exploit you as aggressively as they can so being willing to pay for a better thing is good

see: the sa forums

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

frankly if you don't pay directly for a service they have no obligation to not make it as lovely as possible and exploit you as aggressively as they can so being willing to pay for a better thing is good

see: the sa forums

everything in your life requiring a monthly subscription is the second most insidious trend after enshittification, and $10 a month is a ridiculous price

like, yes, I use search every day, and better search would be worth paying for. but it does not cost google $10 or even $1 to do all my searches.

I wish them success though, the idea that people will pay for this might inspire someone else to do it for a reasonable price

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Idunno, I get the subscription model for some services.

It’s not really a viable option for me regardless. ADHD is a bitch when it comes to keeping track of subscriptions. Which reminds me there’s a streaming service I’ve forgotten to cancel 4 months in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

paying $10 a month to get back to the functionality of 2004 again