Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

If a Bond conversation pops up but I don’t trigger it can I eventually pursue a Bond with someone else

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cool beans.

Also chapter 12 huh. That sure didn’t FEEL like an S rank :shepface:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Where’s my bond where Stefan consigns himself to a lifetime alone like the creepy PUA he is.

I’ve got two that popped up with him for the MC and Diana and both deserve better.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

To be fair, Stefan does not act like a creepy PUA with Diana. They always just act like old friends.

But yeah his Narima interactions are all lol terrible.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I hope this game does well enough to get a sequel made with more staff. The foundation is great, if the writing/characters were better it would be the best indie FE-like hands down.

Maybe I should try dark deity again now that it’s out of early access.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Gaius Marius posted:

The game feels like it was written by Highschoolers. It's got every single dumb history misunderstanding that Teen's have right down to the Characters getting incredulous at the idea of Latin. It's all so amateurish and without a grounding in actual period politics

This sounds vaguely interesting from the outside. You feel like talking more on this?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Does elemental affinity affect stat growth? or is it just a modifier on stats?

e.g. here, if I change this Paladin from Lightning to Fire, they both give the same amount of STR, fire gives me 15 extra HP, and lowers my stats overall.

Is there any non-edge-case reason where I would want that paladin to be Fire instead of Lightning? Like, would leveling up while Fire affinity change the stat growths to favor STR more than Lightning wouild?

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Does elemental affinity affect stat growth? or is it just a modifier on stats?

e.g. here, if I change this Paladin from Lightning to Fire, they both give the same amount of STR, fire gives me 15 extra HP, and lowers my stats overall.

Is there any non-edge-case reason where I would want that paladin to be Fire instead of Lightning? Like, would leveling up while Fire affinity change the stat growths to favor STR more than Lightning wouild?

The tutorial menu stuff makes it sound like it's stat growth from levels, but yeah it's actually just a modifier to the stats. Unless it's actually both, which I doubt it could be but it's not impossible I guess.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ahhhh yeah, I just noticed in the affinity item tooltip that it changes stats "retroactively"
So it technically affects growths, but all growths are flat so it doesn't matter what affinity you were previously, just what affinity you are now.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 17, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

To be fair, Stefan does not act like a creepy PUA with Diana. They always just act like old friends.

But yeah his Narima interactions are all lol terrible.

That makes it worse, somehow. Like you can be a decent person Stefan, come on.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bussamove posted:

That makes it worse, somehow. Like you can be a decent person Stefan, come on.

Yeah it's definitely not an excuse. But man I would not blame anyone for being confused if their only exposure to Stefan was <everything but Narima>

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

Wow, that final boss was a pushover .Still, extremely fun ride overall. Combat had just the right complexity to be interesting and there's something addictive about gradually building up a badass 20 doomstack strong army.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Upcoming Patch 1.0b notes
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1488200/discussions/0/3418809548714914764/

Permadeath now toggleable on any difficulty at game start only
Beatrix LDR buff (probably not ongoing save retroactive)
Jules STR growth buff (probably not ongoing save retroactive)
Later chapter difficulty balance pass (leans harder - like the final boss)
Legendary artifact nerfs

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Gyoru posted:

Upcoming Patch 1.0b notes
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1488200/discussions/0/3418809548714914764/

Permadeath now toggleable on any difficulty at game start only
Beatrix LDR buff (probably not ongoing save retroactive)
Jules STR growth buff (probably not ongoing save retroactive)
Later chapter difficulty balance pass (leans harder - like the final boss)
Legendary artifact nerfs

Really nice to see Sorceresses and Sirens getting buffed, they needed it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Well, the game bugged for me right after the final boss, can someone spoil the ending for me?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

• Gain STR for every point of MAG
  • MAG is set to zero
  • Squad heals for 10% each player phase and -10% of max HP per player phase negate each other
  • Gain HP from kills
  • +20 STR
  • +20 MAG
  • +20 SKL
  • and Warrior's Hubris trait gives resistance to mages and dragons that scales with STR

:hellyeah: Her squad (full of paladins) could probably solo the entire game if not for big gun stacks and healing on kills takes care of not being able to include healers on account of having 0 MAG

e: Ironically this means I almost never use her squad for anything anymore because they don't need the exp. They usually just walk up to one-shot the squad defending the final objective or whatever.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 18, 2022

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Big lich&friends or sky island special characters only vibes here. Love games that allow you to take the mechanics to hyperbolic encounter-trivializing conclusions as long as you are willing to work and learn to get there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Beginning to wonder who exactly Devoa can even bond with. Abigayle is the only one I’ve seen so far and yeah naw I’m good.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah the roster seems like it needed a bunch more named characters. Maybe they could do have added more unique traits to incentivize not making them leaders if they were afraid of giving you too many squads

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

DrManiac posted:

I hope this game does well enough to get a sequel made with more staff. The foundation is great, if the writing/characters were better it would be the best indie FE-like hands down.

Maybe I should try dark deity again now that it’s out of early access.

I think that's where i'm at with this game. It has a very strong gameplay foundation and a pretty okay everything else. It would be nice to see more/better produced games with this gameplay style.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah its funny like, to compare to another srpg that release this year, tri strat is pretty much better in all aspects but the mechanics here just really gel with me in a brain feel good way that the former doesn't get close to. And I did liked playing that game a good amount.

Give me this but with some weirder unit variety (mermaids!!) and better writing/portrait art... or heck even a STS style game with these mechanics... and you are getting pretty close to my perfect game.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 19, 2022

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Beginning to wonder who exactly Devoa can even bond with. Abigayle is the only one I’ve seen so far and yeah naw I’m good.

ch 25

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Gunners don't gently caress around, huh?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So how many chapters are there total?

After restarting my save I'm up to ch21 but I'm still enjoying this game so much I'm considering restarting on Hardcore now, now that I understand the class tree a little more. I accidentally loaded myself up with female classes without realizing most classes are gender-locked :(

Also I finally made bows really good by turning Jules into a Raider and giving him a full stack of Raiders. Hit an run super mobility archers :hellyeah:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Same, I hit chap 12 and think I might restart now I know how to build troops a bit more.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ah geeze, starting with the side missions the difficulty really jumps up - no more blindly charging ahead with an invincible Diana squad or cavalry or rangers. Which is cool because it gives me a good reason to mess around with army comp :kiddo:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah its funny like, to compare to another srpg that release this year, tri strat is pretty much better in all aspects but the mechanics here just really gel with me in a brain feel good way that the former doesn't get close to. And I did liked playing that game a good amount.

Give me this but with some weirder unit variety (mermaids!!) and better writing/portrait art... or heck even a STS style game with these mechanics... and you are getting pretty close to my perfect game.

Yeah for whatever reason this game scratches that SRPG itch like nothing else. Part of it is even though the story isn't great, the characters are dull, etc etc the game doesn't lean too much on that stuff ultimately. As someone posted earlier the unique mercs being randomized means you can build some cool squads from those guys when you find them and it lends to a somewhat different playthrough. I'm not playing optimally by any stretch of the imagination but there also seems to be a lot of variety of squad builds too, and I really enjoy tinkering with squad organization in between every level for a lot longer than I really need to.

Hopeful for a decent sequel.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

v1.0b has been released - 427 MB patch
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1488200/announcements/detail/4870094618631548807

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Barnabas' voice acting reminds me of this ProZD sketch

Also, currently on chapter 18 (some thoughts on a big spoiler event) I kind of feel disappointed that our MC came back to life with big nephilim powers. I was kind of hoping that the rest of the game would be your allies trying to carry on your characters' legacy, rather than you magically coming back from the dead with superpowers. Game is still fun af but I kind of feel like it was a missed opportunity

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Not sure if I missed this in the UI - The generic classes can be found in the tutorial/info section, but is there a way to see what the unique classes (MC's, Diana's classes) do in terms of attack pattern and other information?

Otherwise, I have been really enjoy the squad building aspect of this, between building general deathballs around the MC, Diana and Abigayle and Narima having a 5-archer firing squad.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

Barnabas' voice acting reminds me of this ProZD sketch

Also, currently on chapter 18 (some thoughts on a big spoiler event) I kind of feel disappointed that our MC came back to life with big nephilim powers. I was kind of hoping that the rest of the game would be your allies trying to carry on your characters' legacy, rather than you magically coming back from the dead with superpowers. Game is still fun af but I kind of feel like it was a missed opportunity

That would've been a neat twist, which is the main reason I knew how it would turn out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Another character also reminds me of a Pro ZD character, to the extent that I'm almost positive that it's a conscious reference.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unsolicited thoughts on cav/archer classes:

Knights kind of suck. Heavy cav in general just seems not worth using over light cav - they cost more resources and have marginally better stats, but Hussars get a bonus against cav that Knights don't and they get multiple evasion bonuses. Valkyrie is kinda the same deal as Knight - they get the heal that Paladins do but you're better off just sticking a Templar in a cav squad since it won't make it stop counting as a cav squad, and the unit that would be turned into a Valkyrie can just be made into a Paladin instead which is pretty much the best front-line unit outside of Sentinel+Centurion synergy squads.

Raiders seem to be the superior ranged unit in pretty much every way. They can't take down armor like Dragoons can but they have 2 range and shoot twice - and maybe it;s just the way I build my squads but I have several ways of eliminating armored enemies already. Warbow doesn't really seem worth it when you could make a Raider instead - Warbow gets one extra range on their shots but Raider is cav so they can move further and don't need the extra range :shrug: I haven't really used siege weapons - generally my focus with ranged squads is taking out mages and assassins and Raiders do that very well :shrug:

e: Also all of the mages are great at tier 3. Yeah dragon riders are better but you can also stick multiple mages in every squad and watch them mow down everything. They make forcing surrenders very easy. stick a Fire + Ice + either Lightning or Sorceress together in the same squad and watch them just delete things. Or better yet six of them with paladins in front :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 21, 2022

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Weissritter posted:

Not sure if I missed this in the UI - The generic classes can be found in the tutorial/info section, but is there a way to see what the unique classes (MC's, Diana's classes) do in terms of attack pattern and other information?

Otherwise, I have been really enjoy the squad building aspect of this, between building general deathballs around the MC, Diana and Abigayle and Narima having a 5-archer firing squad.

There is not, all you can do is try them out in a fight and see how it goes. And yeah, it kind of sucks.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Another character also reminds me of a Pro ZD character, to the extent that I'm almost positive that it's a conscious reference.

Is it Lysander? Because there are absolutely vibes I get from him.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Haven't been able to actually test it well yet because I have my Sorceresses in squads that uh never really get attacked or have to do more than a single alpha round. With the change that went live today do they just innately get the benefit of the perk that lets them cast on the first round and do nothing on the second? Or do they now innately attack twice?

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
Should I be training generic leaders LDR by capturing towns or exclusively focusing on story characters? I’m still early and just finished the prison break scenario but this seems really important for building up my units properly.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

From my testing, capturing objectives provides almost no LDR gain, or less than fighting does. The best way to gain LDR is to force surrenders.

Later on most maps give you about 12 deployment slots so you need 12 leaders and the story characters tend to have higher starting LDR so I tried to force surrender on my supplemental/weak leaders as much as I could early on and that has worked out well for me

Something that's not immediately obvious: if you use Force Surrender and it fails, your units still get one round of attacks (But you lose things like Ambush and the enemy gets a defensive attack first), and if those attacks 'kill' any targets it makes them surrender, which is mostly what people are referring to when they say forcing surrenders (as opposed to weakning a squad then using force surrender to get a successful surrender without fighting)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 21, 2022

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
How many story leaders do you end up with? If there are 6 slots for generics I don’t want to waste a bunch of growth on 8 generic leaders who end up sidelined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

ClothHat posted:

How many story leaders do you end up with? If there are 6 slots for generics I don’t want to waste a bunch of growth on 8 generic leaders who end up sidelined.

I'm at ch 20 and have 12 story leaders. I have only have 2 generic leaders that don't get used too often, but I'm playing musical chairs evolving classes and tinkering squads between missions. 8 feels like they'd get sidelined, but maybe I'm wrong.

Loving this game - customizing squads, evolving and building them up to tackle specific scenarios is a treat.

Are there any weird mechanics with cannon jamming?

I have a squad that's 5 siege cannons and a warbow, and am aware that weather and terrain (desert/lava overheat, wetland/rain dampen fuses I guess) type play a role here. Even with the tech tree talent that negates weather jamming, they jam way too often. Total crapshoot whether something gets deleted, or vaguely sneezed at.

Please don't tell me I have to equip/enable that talent somehow.

Colorspray fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 21, 2022