Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

ultrafilter posted:

The Looker

Free, 96% positive based on ~150 reviews.

I wanted to play this because I love short parody games but it has zero configuration options. No mouse invert, no key binding, no audio controls, no nothing. The dev has said he'll add some but until then my upside down brain can't process it :saddumb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Having just come off of finishing this, it's completely worth checking out. It works not just as a parody, but also as a half-decent puzzle game all of its own.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Thirding The Looker. It's got a few genuinely clever puzzles (and one really bullshit achievement), most of the jokes landed, and the ending was pitch perfect. Took just under an hour and a half, including a bit of dicking around and calling a friend over to watch.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I didn't bother to make a steam review yet, but I personally recommend it.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Foul Fowl posted:

check out dread delusion

Seconding this. I've been keeping an eye on this game since it premiered in that Dread XP Collection ages ago. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574240/Dread_Delusion/

I'm holding out for it to get a lil' more time in the oven, but anyone with a hankerin' for PSX graphics and/or something that wears its Morrowind inspiration on its sleeve (while very much having an identity of its own), absolutely keep an eye on this game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Infinite Turtles

quote:

Design computational circuits which defy restrictions of our universe in this open-ended puzzle. Your completed creations become components to solve future challenges. As you design a circuit and can place your design within it, where there is a smaller you doing the same, and so on to infinity.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256882326/movie480_vp9.webm
12 reviews, 100% positive. Lots of comparisons to Zachtronics in the highlighted reviews.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ultrafilter posted:

Infinite Turtles

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256882326/movie480_vp9.webm
12 reviews, 100% positive. Lots of comparisons to Zachtronics in the highlighted reviews.

It is interesting, but there are a few negative points - almost every later game level comes down to avoiding concurrency issues, so you have to spend valuable space on putting locks everywhere. This gets even worse when some of your earlier modules worked fine, but you realize once they are part of a larger system, everything gets slightly out of sync.

Also, the scoring system seems to take account all the specs of your current submodules, which means if you want to optimize and come on the leaderboards, you can only optimize for one or the other, as you have to change all the modules over to be faster/smaller.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Mystic Mongol posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7aG1C5FU0
Neon White is a correctly assembled video game. You are an assassin doing contract killings in heaven, for John Cena. Clear levels as fast as possible, and then do it again.

..... Your quest to dominate the leaderboards STARTS when you've mastered a level, and gets more irrational from there.

Just wanted to pop in and warn people that the leaderboards are beginning to bloat up with impossible scores. The game itself is still extremely satisfying and fun to play, but the quest to be the very best is slightly damaged by the fact that there are thousands of completely fictitious times.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tried the demo. It's a fun concept but the UI is pure assgravy.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Mystic Mongol posted:

Just wanted to pop in and warn people that the leaderboards are beginning to bloat up with impossible scores. The game itself is still extremely satisfying and fun to play, but the quest to be the very best is slightly damaged by the fact that there are thousands of completely fictitious times.

I always wonder about these. Every game with a world leaderboard seems packed with them. Simple hacks to submit fake scores?

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Gynovore posted:

Tried the demo. It's a fun concept but the UI is pure assgravy.

It reminds me of the Factorio pre-alpha UI:

If they had shipped the game in this state, it wouldn't have been such a massive success. Looks like Infinite Turtles wants to prove me wrong.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Goodpancakes posted:

I always wonder about these. Every game with a world leaderboard seems packed with them. Simple hacks to submit fake scores?

Yeah probably. People lie about the most meaningless stuff online, it's weird.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
This is related to a pet peeve of mine, games with forced leaderboard submissions. In singleplayer games I sometimes enjoy cheating, and I don't want scores affected by that gumming up the leaderboards. Thankfully these days almost every game with online leaderboards let you decide whether to upload your score or not, but for the few games that don't it's really annoying to me.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Zachlikes do the sensible thing and simulates your submitted solution. I think Doom used to record gameplay as just your inputs to save disk space, so something like that could work. Otherwise you shouldn't bother having an online leaderboard as it becomes meaningless in days from cheaters.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mago

quote:

Mago is a retro 2D platformer that puts us in the boots of a sorcerer, who was unfortunate enough to eat evil overlords' food. Now he has to rescue his beloved princess from the dinner menu of the evil Gourmet! Nostalgia awaits!
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256892640/movie480_vp9.webm
Not enough reviews to have a score yet, but the demo is sitting at 88% positive based on ~550 reviews.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Goodpancakes posted:

Haven't played Neon White itself but it's (usually) trivially easy to do something like freeze a timer in a game using CheatEngine, which people could do for all kinds of reasons like maybe they're going for a specific achievement and sick of a time limit placed on it, or because they have disabilities that make it hard to play games and the time limit is too restrictive for them, or just cheating in general because that's how they prefer to play games. So it's possible that they weren't cheating just to intentionally poo poo on the leaderboards, especially if it's like AG3 mentioned where you can't choose not to submit. But yeah it's mostly that scores and timers are almost always entirely trivial to modify and that any system of preventing leaderboard cheating is generally a lot of work to design and implement.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 22, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's effectively impossible to prevent that kind of clientside cheating for a game like Neon White beyond having serverside sanity checks, but even that's merely gonna stop someone from submitting above whatever the maximum high score for a level is. Sometimes even that's a difficult thing for the devs to determine if it isn't completely deterministic; there was a fairly infamous Trackmania cheating scandal that surfaced a year back where the devs were using a cheater's faked times as benchmarks for track target times.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Mystic Mongol posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7aG1C5FU0
Neon White is a correctly assembled video game. You are an assassin doing contract killings in heaven, for John Cena. Clear levels as fast as possible, and then do it again.

The developers (who made Donut County) claim that this is a game, "By Freaks, for Freaks." I kind of blew this off as meaningless marketing hype, appealing to the mountain dew crowd. But no, this game is for weirdos. While the core experience is simplistic, with fairly easy stages and non-threatening enemies, the fun comes not from beating but mastering the levels. Only after you score an S-Rank do the leaderboards for a stage appear. Your quest to dominate the leaderboards STARTS when you've mastered a level, and gets more irrational from there.

I did this level entirely in free fall! HOW DID THEY GET A SECOND UP ON ME I will destroy them.

But after you've collected every hidden package and S ranked every single stage, you unlock White's Heaven Rush. Play through all 96 stages, including all three boss fights, with infinite lives, for fastest overall completion. Optionally: Randomize the level order. Right now the world record's just over seventy minutes for Heaven Rush, but it's going down fast.

And when you've done battling to be the best, do White's Hell Rush. Defeat all 96 stages, in a random order, on one life. Your hit points persist between levels. And you KNOW there's a leaderboard.

Then do both tasks again, but with all your weapons changed to work differently.

It's also well written. This is Neon Yellow! He's White's best friend. What a nice guy, I'm sure he was damned to hell as an administrative mistake. I bet you can turn your back on him.

If you want to get sweaty and polish your OCD to a mirror sheen, Neon White is super great.

Can confirm, this game is good. I also sweated pretty hard on it. The writing is absolutely atrocious approaching Borderlands sequels tier but the gameplay is spectacularly fun.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Most scoreboard submits are just an API endpoint as well, and usually you can jank up any kind of payload into there if the devs aren't careful with sanity/security checking

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative released early I think (should have been 26th originally) and it seems as good as the first one from ~3 hours of playing. The setup is bonkers so it got me hooked real good.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.gog.com/game/virtuaverse?utm_medium=editorial&utm_source=content&utm_campaign=2022060_summer_sale_gog&utm_term=EN

Virtuaverse is free on gog for the next day or so. Maybe not technically a new release but its new to me. And free.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1814170/Lingo/

Not exactly a 'fresh' release, but also a pretty unknown game. Despite the fact that it looks like it was built in minecraft it's got solid gameplay, playing like a mixture of antichamber, the witness, and a crossword puzzle. As one of the 2 people who have actually gotten the mastery achievement, I'd say it's worth the 5 dollar summer sale price. 4/1

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Not exactly a 'fresh' release, but also a pretty unknown game. Despite the fact that it looks like it was built in minecraft it's got solid gameplay, playing like a mixture of antichamber, the witness, and a crossword puzzle. As one of the 2 people who have actually gotten the mastery achievement, I'd say it's worth the 5 dollar summer sale price. 4/1

Seemed interesting so I picked it up. The controls are a bit wonky. If you press forward and strafe at the same time, then release forward you just stop moving. That really fucks me up for some reason. Some of these puzzles are really obtuse as well. Do the pictures on the wall mean anything or are they just intended for orienting yourself?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Seemed interesting so I picked it up. The controls are a bit wonky. If you press forward and strafe at the same time, then release forward you just stop moving. That really fucks me up for some reason. Some of these puzzles are really obtuse as well. Do the pictures on the wall mean anything or are they just intended for orienting yourself?

Some of them are mario style 'jump into them to teleport'. The central room will get more and more portraits to use as fast travel the more of the world you explore.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Plebian Parasite posted:

I gave it a shot after seeing it was word-based, but I don't think it's for me. It seems too abstract for me in how it introduces its various rules, and after looking up a starter guide for some of them I don't think I could keep track of everything that well. I also get the impression that I would just rapidly get completely lost as more areas open up.
So, it seems like an interesting idea that I'd recommend looking into, but unfortunately it didn't hook me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pixel Samurai

quote:

A journey of a lost samurai. Encounter five samurai and challenge them to a duel. Unleash your katana strike and deflect incoming attacks. Fight for honor or die with shame.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256888837/movie480_vp9.webm
100% positive based on 15 reviews.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Whomever posted The Shotgun King a while back - bless your heart. It’s so good. It’s so tight. It’s so fun.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Had Civvie 11 on in the background the other day, and he did a quick blurb on Fashion Polic Squad
Only a demo for now, but it's fun and fabulous!

quote:

Calling all officers! I've got a Fashion Crime in Progress and I'm mobilizing all Fashion Police Squad members. Grab your Belt of Justice and your Tailormade Sewing Machine, we've got some Fashion Justice to dispense!

Fashion Police Squad is a humorous Retro FPS where you fight against fashion crime using attire enhancing weaponry. Clean the streets of socks in sandals as Sergeant Des, and experience a single-player story full of fabulous characters, dazzling encounters, and fierce runway shows!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Steam API release date for that is August (along with Cultic) but that's never 100% accurate. the demo was fun, yeah

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

madmatt112 posted:

Whomever posted The Shotgun King a while back - bless your heart. It’s so good. It’s so tight. It’s so fun.

Game's a fuckin' banger

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

The 7th Guest posted:

The Steam API release date for that is August (along with Cultic) but that's never 100% accurate. the demo was fun, yeah

Oh neat, I hope that's accurate since I've played through the demo at least three times now and have been looking for any updates on when it's coming. Out of curiosity, where is it that you found this out? Are there websites that scrape this data or what?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

juicefest posted:

Oh neat, I hope that's accurate since I've played through the demo at least three times now and have been looking for any updates on when it's coming. Out of curiosity, where is it that you found this out? Are there websites that scrape this data or what?

SteamDB shows details like that as well as the most recent store page update

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

[https://store.steampowered.com/app/1969080/A_Building_Full_of_Cats/]A Building Full of Cats[/url]

quote:

A Building Full of Cats is a hidden object game where you need to pet all the cats in the building. Don't leave any cat behind!
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256891435/movie480_vp9.webm
100% positive based on 136 reviews.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just an update: Fashion Police Squad releases August 15th, Gloomwood releases in Early Access on the 16th.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I haven't had chance to play it yet, but Neon Blight has just released on steam and it looks pretty swoosh! I don't know if it's an early access sorta deal as the page does not seem to say as much. It's a roguelite shop keeping game where you sell all of the unused weapons you find to pundits in your shop and likely more aside. The eventual goal is to aquire the ultimate weapon, which sounds interesting to say the least.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1360660/Neon_Blight/

Only nine reviews as of this posting, but they are mainly positive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tombot posted:

I haven't had chance to play it yet, but Neon Blight has just released on steam and it looks pretty swoosh! I don't know if it's an early access sorta deal as the page does not seem to say as much. It's a roguelite shop keeping game where you sell all of the unused weapons you find to pundits in your shop and likely more aside. The eventual goal is to aquire the ultimate weapon, which sounds interesting to say the least.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1360660/Neon_Blight/

Only nine reviews as of this posting, but they are mainly positive.

It's now up to 16 reviews, mostly negative.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Big Earth

quote:

In a post-apocalyptic future where Earth's resources have been consumed, Kyle Seed tries to recover capsules containing special seeds and the energy needed to save humanity's future. Big Earth is a platform game with challenging puzzles.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256876119/movie480_vp9.webm
90% positive based on 10 reviews.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Heh, Kyle Seed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
'Fun game, but hearing the main guy say "Time to spread my Seed...my Kyle Seed....all over this planet" after picking up every collectible it starts to lose its shine'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate got a pc release today, 10 years after it first released on consoles :woop:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1879330/WARRIORS_OROCHI_3_Ultimate_Definitive_Edition/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256888473/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1657630825

It likely won't change your mind if you don't like Musou games, but if you're a fan it is absolutely the best, most content-packed game in the series. It's basically the best of all elements of the mainline Musou games (Dynasty Warriors + Samurai warriors) mashed together

Through the magic of Mystical Technology Bullshit time travel happens and the cast of Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors get drawn into the same dimension and then united by ancient Chinese mythological figures, all three join forces and then summon historical figures like Achilles and Joan of Arc and then crossovers from other video games like Ninja Gaiden and Soul Calibur.

Fair warning: Being an old game the DW/SW rosters are lifted from DW7 and SW3 so they don't have some of the newer moveset improvements from later games but they were all given unique movesets so there are no clones, then there's a ton of unlockable costumes, weapons, mounts, etc. to farm for, grinding for perfect weapons - also you choose 3 characters to play as at a time and freely swap between them in battle.

TL;DR: It's the Marvel vs Capcom of Musou games and has a gigantic roster and all of the best systems from the earlier games, tons of stages, tons to grind for if that's your thing.