Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Hello! This is a game thread in the purest sense of the word – specifically, this is a thread to play (or watch) a cross-forum game of Mafia!

We are a community of players that usually play Mafia games down at The Game Room. Sometimes games are hosted outside this subforum; this is mostly so posters from other communities can know those games exist, are regularly hosted, and also can try the game without the pressure of playing against people who’ve been playing for years on end.

This is one of such games. If you’ve ever played real-life Mafia, or Werewolf, or Town of Salem, you probably pretty much know what to expect. If not, don’t worry! We’re here to run a newbie-oriented game that is fun for everyone, even complete first-timers.

To this end, apart from the game mod (me), who will be doing the mechanical behind-the-scenes work, we will also be having multiple guest co-mods who have volunteered to help answer all your questions, and guide you around. All of them (Maerlyn, Grandicap, Sandwolf, Bifauxnen and Ignatius M. Meen) are very experienced players and have been part of the Mafia community for a long time, so don’t hesitate to ask us anything at all. We are here to help everyone have a good time!

Last, and not least, thanks to Videogames for letting us host this here, and to deep dish peat moss who has drawn some seriously awesome art for us to use in this game!

Explanations loosely adapted from the General Mafia Thread, which you are very encouraged to check for more info and a small glossary of usual terms and roles!

Mafia (also known as Werewolf) is a party game of social deduction that has been adapted to a play-by-post forums game. Mafia games usually have two basic alignments, and both town and mafia players can have additional powers.

Town make up the uninformed majority of the players, do not know each other’s identities or roles, and cannot communicate outside the thread.

Mafia (very commonly called Scum in the SA forums, so don’t be confused or offended if someone calls you that!) are an informed minority of players that can coordinate outside the thread, and are able to kill other players at night.

This is a game for 13 players. If you want to play, just say so in the thread before sign-ups are filled! You can also list your preferred pronouns on sign-up; I'll add them to the listing next to your name. If you ever played Mafia, Werewolf, or Town of Salem, tell us too!

Like most games nowadays, this one will be run using Discord for out-of-thread communication with both the mods and with other players. You will need to join this group before the game starts. You can also join if you want to be a spectator, just tell us beforehand!

Also, while asking questions in here is encouraged, we’d ask you to please refrain from posting in this thread if you aren’t going to ask a question, spectate the game, or sign up to play. Threads can get quite chaotic, and signups can get missed!

After signing up to play, and joining Discord, you will need to PM me (Shellception) either on those forums or via Discord, with one or two choices for your player character, which should be a videogame character (and while not compulsory at all, background links will be appreciated if it’s some obscure one!). Submissions are secret; no roles posted in thread will be taken into account. Your choice will effect the flavor you receive during the game, but will not influence your role or alignment. Once we have all submissions locked down, characters will be assigned, and we will RNG roles and alignments; you will then be informed of both, and the game will be ready to start.

1. AFancyQuestionMark (He/him)
  2. Bucnasti
  3. Caffeinated Jerkoff
  4. Cloacamazing! (She/her)
  5. cuntman.net (He/they)
  6. Green Wing (She/her)
  7. Hyper Crab Tank
  8. Jadecore (She/they)
  9. LupusAter (He/him)
  10. My Second Re-Reg (They/he)
  11. NeverHelm
  12. PlasticAutomaton (He/Him/Whatever)
  13. wologar

Graveyard

My Second Re-Reg, TOWN aligned Mason, was eliminated D1!
AFancyQuestion Mark, TOWN aligned Vanilla, was eliminated N1!
Wologar, TOWN aligned Vanilla, was eliminated D2!

Shellception fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Once the game starts, only living players can post in the thread. Spectators cannot post, and neither can any players that have been eliminated in one way or another. This is important; the game does rely in both secrecy and creating a small, isolated social environment to work.

Game, like all Mafia games, will have two phases.

Day phase: All players debate in thread and try to reach a consensus about eliminating a living player. Votes are registered by the votefinder bot, and due to this, they need to be formatted in the ##vote [playername] (bolded) format. You can also retract your vote using ##unvote. To change your vote to another player, just vote again; no need to unvote. You can always check votecount and deadlines by checking the image linked on top of the player list; if you click on it, you’ll be taken to the Votefinder page for the game (if you cannot see the image, don't worry - the web is having an expired certificate issue. It'll be fixed soon, but in the meantime, we will frequently post the votecount by hand). When a majority consensus is reached (that is, more than half of the players vote for the same person to be eliminated) the day will end; this is commonly called a hammer :redhammer:. Posting game content after the hammer is not allowed, even if the thread hasn’t still been closed by the mod. If no majority is reached before the deadline, no-one will be eliminated.

Night phase: Thread will be closed. During night phase, mafia players will be allowed to attempt to kill a player, removing them from the game. Night actions that are part of roles will also take place during that time.

Both Day and Night phases have deadlines that will be specified in thread by the moderators, and also will be available by checking the Votefinder vote count. Always check those carefully; once a deadline is reached, no more actions can be input, and the game will proceed to the next phase.

Days will be up to 48h long in real-time; nights will be 24h, and will end early if everyone submits their night actions in time. We will try and negotiate a deadline hour that has as many players presents as possible; to this end, I’d ask everyone who signs up and is not in a US timezone to tell us theirs, in GMT+X or whatever works for you. While still completely playable, being asleep for deadlines makes the game a bit less fun.

Game ends when one of the factions reaches their win condition, which will also be specified in your role PM. In this case, Town players win when all dangers to town are eliminated; Mafia players win when they have full control over the vote, that is, when the combined votes of all players aren’t enough to vote them out.

You may get small paragraphs of flavor with your results, as well as when someone dies and their role gets posted in thread. Think of it like a little underlying story to the game. Don't put a lot of stock on it, though - flavor is there to make things more appealing, but will have little to no connection to actual in-game events!

If you are playing, do NOT discuss this game with anyone outside the thread, or the observer/dead chat if you are dead! As said before, Mafia games do rely on secrecy to work; being voted out can feel unfair, or you may be wanting to tell everyone about that cool role you landed, but that will spoil the fun for everyone playing.

Please, do not lurk. The game does need posters to play it and contribute, otherwise nobody can read you out and it becomes a slow, dragging affair. The lurker threshold will be 10 posts per game day, about 48h in real life time, with the requisite being halved for hammers that happen at 12h to deadline or earlier, and eliminated if 24h to deadline or earlier. First time, you will be told to please not miss posting requierements; second time, you will be eliminated from the game.

Do not edit your posts. There is a big reason for that: mafia games rely on reading the other players’ intentions, including those things they didn’t necessarily intend to post in the first time, but slipped through. Usual way to correct mistakes in a post is with a mafia edit: quote your own post, and note the correction underneath, or correct the quote, so everyone knows what you meant to say in the first place.

Do not directly quote private communications. Copying and pasting any kind of out-of-thread info into the thread is not allowed. Neither is copying and pasting any kind of mod communication, including your PM, either in thread or in any possible out-of-thread communication channels; you can, however, paraphrase things as much as you want. This is important and can actually spoil the game for everyone, so you can understand it will be enforced.

Don't be an rear end to people. This is a social game and while not common, things can get a bit heated from time to time. You don't have to be all nice and friendly all game long, but if you feel yourself reacting badly, please disconnect, calm down and come back later. Mod team is here to ensure everyone has fun, but we'd particularly not like needing to tell posters to chill. You are playing with human beings, so please, always be mindful of the person at the other side of the screen!

Shellception fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 15, 2022

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

A lot of the sequels have been more misses than hits but I still keep buying these dumb games every time a new one comes out.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Giving this a small bump. C'mon people, it'll be fun!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It’s like a video game without videos

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You should play this game you get to yell at people

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i would like to play this game please and thank you

pronoun: they/them

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this thread is discriminatory against hardworking italian americans

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

this thread is discriminatory against hardworking italian americans

I assure you, everyone in staff for this thread is paid the exact same. No discrimination happening here.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Also, we'll keep signups open for a week, until thread drops out of stickies. If we don't get enough people in that time, I'll call it out, and we will figure out what to do with everyone who signed up so they get to play.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

They should move the thread between forums until it fills up

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm sorry, i cursed it. nobody is going to want to play with me. you can take my name off the list if it would help. lmao.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Honest to god I have read the intro post to countless mafia/werewolf/etc. threads on these forums over the years and I still don't get it. I've played Werewolf irl before and understand the game itself, but every time someone tries to explain how it's been translated over to a forums-based experience nothing makes any sense at all. :(

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Honest to god I have read the intro post to countless mafia/werewolf/etc. threads on these forums over the years and I still don't get it. I've played Werewolf irl before and understand the game itself, but every time someone tries to explain how it's been translated over to a forums-based experience nothing makes any sense at all. :(

It's pretty smooth actually, we have a bot called votefinder that takes care of the vote counting and (usually) alerting when majority of votes are reached, that's basically all that has to be done in the thread is argue about who is scummy and vote using the proper format. Any night actions happen in Discord.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

This mafia game sure sounds interesting!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

It's pretty smooth actually, we have a bot called votefinder that takes care of the vote counting and (usually) alerting when majority of votes are reached, that's basically all that has to be done in the thread is argue about who is scummy and vote using the proper format. Any night actions happen in Discord.

Pretty much this! Player/thread actions mostly involves discussing among them to try and root out who is lying, trying to get specific people out, protecting others... and submitting an action at night. The rest is all taken care of by the mods.

Some past games, simple-ish setup ones:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000265

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000261

This one is an example of a fairly elaborate game:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984603

And this one involves cooking. And showing food off. And Mafia. But mostly cooking. And is goddamn fun all things said!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3992964

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Eh, gently caress it, I'm in. He/him pronouns.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Yeah, why not? I've played Secret Hitler like... twice. I'll give it a shot. Eurogoon, GMT +2.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Oh hey, a fellow Eurogoon! Got you both. We'll fill this up, somehow.

Also! This game will feature cool role card art by a goon who kindly volunteered to make it :). We've never had those before that I know of, but they're cool as hell!

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

My Second Re-Reg posted:

It’s pretty simple: no one can cheat and peek through their fingers while the mafia are picking their night kill target.

Otherwise it’s the exact same as the party game.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I've never played the real life versions, forums Mafia is all I've ever known. That's why I'm so smart and good at the game and have certainly never been wrong countless times (and yet I can't stop playing, I would play in this one if I didn't know the setup).

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

If we don't get enough players by this Friday 24th, we'll open the game to everyone to join, also regular players. Still will be a newbie-friendly game, we'll have the mods to solve doubts and all that, and I'd ask anyone joining to please keep that in mind, too. But it's taking a lot of time to fill, and a game is better than no game.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
You know what? This could be a fun thing, sure. I don't normally venture off LP but I can try new things.

I use she/they and am on EST.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I guess since I went ahead and opened up my fat mouth I might as well try; maybe actually playing one will make it click? EST, they/he

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

sure why not he/they

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Shell will update the OP but just 7 more needed! :woop:

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

I'll join, seems like it'll be fun.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

OP updated. We're a little over half the players, six more needed!

(I'm pulling Hal in as a new player if we don't get quorum)

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
I'll give this mafia thing another go. I'm also a Eurogoon (GMT+2).

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'd like to play, only ever plated one-night warewolf though.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Updated! Four more and we'll be good to go!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Looking forward to getting voted out day one.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Just three more and we can start!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Giving this a small bump. We are almost done here!

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Sure, why not, if this is happening. She/her, GMT.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Two more needed!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Sounds fun. She/her, GMT+2.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I've always wanted to try one of these. Might as well do it now. Pronouns are he/him. GMT +3

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 26, 2022

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Got you. One more player and we can start!

Once we get full, we'll need everyone to get on Discord, since that's where the roles will be handled. Preferrably we'll also need everyone to have the same Discord server name as their username here (you can change it in a per-server basis) to avoid confusion.

I'll also need everyone who hasn't PMed me a character to do so, but that isn't nearly as critical; if you don't, we'll still assign you something.

Once everyone is in Discord, we'll RNG the roles/alignments, and the game will start. We will clearly signal the start, as well as the first day deadline, but if anything isn't clear, just ask away!

EDIT: And we are full!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

We are still missing one player in Discord to start!

I am reopening and requesting an extra signup for a substitute: someone who can play in place of the missing person if they don't come back soon, or be available in case other players need to stop playing for any reason. This person would need to join Discord too!