Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

There are a bunch of terms used in gay culture that are really apt and sound fun to say but ime those types of words tend to become embarrassingly problematic in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

switching topics

i just passed my on-site interview with grindr. not making a joke. hope they come through with some FIGGIES.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

KidDynamite posted:

switching topics

i just passed my on-site interview with grindr. not making a joke. hope they come through with some FIGGIES.
hell yeah dude :yotj:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Hope the job isn't too much of a grind! 😂😂😂

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i hope they do 401k ... MATCHING!!! hahahah lmao.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Gonna have to hit you up to get my foot in the door there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i don't believe in "reclaiming words" any more. i think its a dead concept.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Clerks 2 had that awful segment of "taking it back" and I have regretted every single slur I've ever said before and since.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I think it can happen, but it cant be forced or sped up

its also never going to happen for any of the big slurs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the myth of slur reclamation is what brought us milo's "Dangerous F****t" tour.

it's mud wrestling with a pig

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

good

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

hbag posted:

most the good posters there went to twitter anyway tbh

there are no good posters in fyad and there never were

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it was never a concept to begin with

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I mean, language evolves and meaning changes over time

but the idea that you can force that to eliminate the negative connotations of a word was always foolish

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i guess 'queer' did get reclaimed a bit. it seems pretty acceptable and useful at least in progressive communities today. a big shift from when the principal sat me down in an office in front of my parents after some bullies made up lies to a teacher about me trying to "rape them" and she asked me "jonny, do you want to be known as a queer for the rest of your life"

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

When my dad was growing up they all played a game called "smear the queer" and it was just tackling whatever kid had possession of the football. :shrug:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

I mean, language evolves and meaning changes over time

let me stop you there with that sentence

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i guess 'queer' did get reclaimed a bit. it seems pretty acceptable and useful at least in progressive communities today. a big shift from when the principal sat me down in an office in front of my parents after some bullies made up lies to a teacher about me trying to "rape them" and she asked me "jonny, do you want to be known as a queer for the rest of your life"

if you aren't "queer" don't call someone "queer" or say "queer"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i know buddy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think quiltbag is pretty charming tbh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its certainly more fluid than NHK World's internal standard of always saying L G B T Q I A PLUS . like they mean well i get it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
also I'm very adversarial in regards to "allies" and "queer allies" so yeah. it's not a group agreement of everyone

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

let me stop you there with that sentence

etymology is a thing, and the existence of modern languages in general is a pretty significant example

I did offer the caveat above that none of the slurs we are discussing are going to change

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Gonna have to hit you up to get my foot in the door there.

i can put you in touch with my recruiter. pm me your resume.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

etymology is a thing, and the existence of modern languages in general is a pretty significant example

I did offer the caveat above that none of the slurs were are discussing are going to change

yeah great thanks

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
you can explain the etymology of calling me a tranny human being then

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

DELETE CASCADE posted:

there are no good posters in fyad and there never were

actually wet butt and lucavi are both good posters

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

also I'm very adversarial in regards to "allies" and "queer allies" so yeah. it's not a group agreement of everyone

I know i am old, because the overuse and dilution of 'partner' grates on me a little bit. its so clinical and loveless and transactional esp when its like boring portland straights using it. but like i said, i am old and out of touch and will die soon so whatever

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Video Nasty posted:

When my dad was growing up they all played a game called "smear the queer" and it was just tackling whatever kid had possession of the football. :shrug:

i played smear the queer all the time in the playground. I don’t think any of us knew what it really meant it was just a good name

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

I know i am old, because the overuse and dilution of 'partner' grates on me a little bit. its so clinical and loveless and transactional esp when its like boring portland straights using it. but like i said, i am old and out of touch and will die soon so whatever

I don't know what a portland straight is

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGwz1s1E1aw

secret video of the LGBTQ+ convening

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

You wouldn't! they're in america aka "the bad place"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

same but also because to me it seems like partner in the romantic sense became popular as a way to demur from using girlfriend/boyfriend around homophobes or on 90s/00s sitcoms.

every time someone uses it i hear "ADVERTISER FRIENDLY CORPORATE APPROVED ROMANTIC INDIVIDUAL". but thats just me, use whatever you want.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
its not really my place to say but I do feel like LGBT was a poorly conceived acronym and adding more consonants has not moved the needle to the right at all

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

https://youtu.be/a9sdQS7wzxU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I once dated a chick that had lots of hangups about labels so I called her my "Mutually Exclusive Heterosexual Life Partner" or "mehlp" and she hated it so much she gave in and just called me her boyfriend lol

then like 2 months later we broke up, the end.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Fortaleza posted:

I once dated a chick that had lots of hangups about labels so I called her my "Mutually Exclusive Heterosexual Life Partner" or "mehlp" and she hated it so much she gave in and just called me her boyfriend lol

then like 2 months later we broke up, the end.

wehlp

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lmao ok

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVaZp6jnkZw

Adbot