Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Corla Plankun posted:

i agree with this attitude, almost none of this is important just fucken get paid and escape capitalism

none of us escape the event horizon, but it’s way more comfortable circling the hole of capital with dental insurance and a nice apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
what I'm saying is that employers do not have sole responsibility for evaluating your competence as a hire. you have to do it to, with the long game in mind. so don't tell a lie that you aren't prepared to live with

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 14, 2022

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
everyone is an absolute rear end in a top hat and buffoon

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

ultravoices posted:

none of us escape the event horizon, but it’s way more comfortable circling the hole of capital with dental insurance and a nice apartment.

:hai:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what are ya'lls opinions on accepting a job with a company that directly competes with the company your husband/wife/partner works for

mention it? if so, during the different screens or at the (potential) offer stage?

don't mention it? the burden is on the company to prove some sort of conflict of interest in a given incident only when they think it happens?

in my case we're talking about individual contributor roles in both companies, both are sales adjacent but neither are directly sales

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

what are ya'lls opinions on accepting a job with a company that directly competes with the company your husband/wife/partner works for

mention it? if so, during the different screens or at the (potential) offer stage?

don't mention it? the burden is on the company to prove some sort of conflict of interest in a given incident only when they think it happens?

in my case we're talking about individual contributor roles in both companies, both are sales adjacent but neither are directly sales

this kind of thing matters for executives and theyll make you sign some document where you say you have honestly no conflicts of interest

i think its how this works anyway, so if they dont ask then you don’t tell them either

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Could be a value add... Could you flip each other's loyalties, do a double agent heist triple cross, and escape the clutches of both companies with ur wife?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Your private life is not your employers concern.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah if the job doesnt have "chief" in it then nobody gives a poo poo

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

No need to discuss in the interview. If it ever comes out in the job, just tell them you're just hedging. Have you seen the Q2 earnings? Everyone should be so lucky to have a spouse at <competitor>.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

chances are half the sales staff of that org already come from the competitor anyway or something.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

just got a voicemail from a gig I applied to months ago asking me to call them back to schedule an interview

what loving year is it?

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
A large upscale retail company sends me rejection letters for the same application every 6 or 7 weeks since September or so. I've started replying to each one saying I'm glad I'm not responsible for their software if their CRM is that lovely but I doubt that ever gets to a person.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

RokosCockatrice posted:

No need to discuss in the interview. If it ever comes out in the job, just tell them you're just hedging. Have you seen the Q2 earnings? Everyone should be so lucky to have a spouse at <competitor>.

lol

thanks everyone, mostly worries about an awkward conversation post-hire (if I get the job) where someone asks what my partner does and then follows up with where

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

nudgenudgetilt posted:

just got a voicemail from a gig I applied to months ago asking me to call them back to schedule an interview

what loving year is it?
My current record is getting a rejection email in April 2022 for a job I applied to in March 2019.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

lol

thanks everyone, mostly worries about an awkward conversation post-hire (if I get the job) where someone asks what my partner does and then follows up with where

you don't have to share personal details of your partner with your colleagues though.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lol

"Oh she has a job too, doing thangs, making money, making moves, job title of girlboss, she is very proud would you like me to show you her linkedin"

And that offer will be politely rejected and never thought about again.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

4lokos basilisk posted:

you don't have to share personal details of your partner with your colleagues though.

no, but you can come off as a super weirdo by declining to answer (in most people’s minds) a fairly innocent question in a social situation

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

just do the whole prolouge from romeo and juliet but substitute the city you work in for verona

quote:

Two households, both alike in dignity
(In fair Verona, where we lay our scene),
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life;
Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Doth with their death bury their parents’ strife.
The fearful passage of their death-marked love
And the continuance of their parents’ rage,
Which, but their children’s end, naught could remove,
Is now the two hours’ traffic of our stage;
The which, if you with patient ears attend,
What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

doing an interview for the first time in five years+ tomorrow and I really appreciated the OP so thank you.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

qirex posted:

(in fair YOSPOS, where we lay our scene),

:eyepop:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

carry on then posted:

ah, the average Hacktoberfest participant

i salute whomever submitted the recent "correct Github to GitHub" PR to one of our projects for their commitment to the big green contribution graph hustle

it was easy to review vov

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

no, but you can come off as a super weirdo by declining to answer (in most people’s minds) a fairly innocent question in a social situation

you can be vague like “shes an office worker like me” and then the asker will have to start prying

i always say about my partner that “they work in [vague business segment or trade]”

edit: i admit that maybe i give off a weird shutin vibe to my coworkers

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

it's a conversation not a deposition. you can be vague.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

just deny having a wife/girlfriend

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
no one will give two fucks if your partner is a peon cog at a competitor

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I sent out my resume earlier this year and wasn't getting a lot of hits at least compared to when I last did this in the DC area many years ago. I decided to redo my resume, but it's been a while and I have a couple of questions about how to structure some of it. I don't know if there is a better thread for it, so i'll ask them here.

A lot of the work I have done in the past/currently am doing involves just maintaining software and very rarely working on actual new features. What's the best way to word this? Is it better to focus on a specific portion, or a specific feature?

How exactly should you word things you did that improved the general time it took to do a task but don't know specifics? Does it look bad if you don't have formal measurements for stuff like that? As an example in one my previous jobs I setup Jenkins to build and deploy our software. We never actually took formal measurements but informally it reduced a process that took a couple of hours to about 1-2 hours.

As far as general structure goes I've been using this template as my model. Does that look like a good starting point? I'd share what i have currently but my resume has too much PII and I don't want to doxx myself.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you did something that saved time, put it in eng hours and say how much you saved. if you don't have measurements, ballpark it. as long as you aren't lying nobody's gonna ask you to more than a "saves 3 hours per run times 10 engineers times 100 runs each per year" or whatever

post the resume

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

OP questions got me a second interview. Asked two of them to the boss in today's call and he was blown away. :thumbsup:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Video Nasty posted:

OP questions got me a second interview. Asked two of them to the boss in today's call and he was blown away. :thumbsup:

yah, that's good poo poo

I got raised eyebrows and a "that's a really good question" from one of them when I was interviewing for my current job

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

also, as an interviewer, candidates are so bad at asking questions that if anyone actually asked anything remotely similar to any questions there, I'd assume they were a goon

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

one question that i like to ask is "do you feel that you are able to produce results that satisfy your personal level of quality?"

i think this should reveal whether the organization cares about producing quality results or something

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

The Fool posted:

also, as an interviewer, candidates are so bad at asking questions that if anyone actually asked anything remotely similar to any questions there, I'd assume they were a goon

the number of candidates that decline to ask any questions at all is loving astounding to me. it's not most of them by any means but it's a lot more than i would have expected

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've been that candidate as a young person, for me it stemmed from the extreme stress of the interview in general and the fact that I had no experience to draw from in which to craft questions. getting to the end of the interview itself was overwhelming and trying to think of something worth asking on the spot was extremely difficult

now, how someone older than college age continually does this I'll never know

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i just finished a process where every interview ostensibly had some planned time in the end for me to ask questions, but when we got to that point we usually had like 2-3 minutes of time left and while i did ask stuff it never became a longer discussion where i hoped that both parties would learn something

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Truman Peyote posted:

the number of candidates that decline to ask any questions at all is loving astounding to me. it's not most of them by any means but it's a lot more than i would have expected

I just didn't know what to ask. I would usually ask "what is a typical day like?" and that is about it.

Now that i'm older and have worked a bunch i'd probably ask most of the questions in the OP as a default.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I have a continuously growing list of questions in a Google doc. Whenever I run into something that's either "That's awesome, how do I make sure I find this again in the future" or "this is absolute garbage I never want to encounter this in a job again", it goes in the list. An obvious one that has saved me some grief is "Can I get a short product demo at some point during the interview process, to have a better understanding of what I'd be working on?" If they show you a janky pos app, makes it very easy to turn down and move on

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have a fake-leather bound portfolio folder with a notepad in it i take to all my interviews. It has a few printed resumes and more importantly, notes from every interview I've gone on. I have a poo poo load of questions and answers and what to expect right in front of me, I bring the folder to interviews. It makes me look professional as hell and I never forget to ask anything because I have a list right in front of my eyes. Then I write down the answers so I can compare them to other companies/offers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

reversefungi posted:

An obvious one that has saved me some grief is "Can I get a short product demo at some point during the interview process, to have a better understanding of what I'd be working on?" If they show you a janky pos app, makes it very easy to turn down and move on

gently caress me how haven't I thought of this already it's a great idea