Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I can't believe he left that blog up.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

How much of a friendless loser do you have to be to want to open a bar/restaurant to have people to hang out with?

Oh my God is that why people open businesses?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I found his blog from when he was operating the restaurant. Lots of gold especially knowing what was really going on and what happened later: https://www.thebeechtree.ca/blog/

https://www.thebeechtree.ca/articulating-food/

https://www.thebeechtree.ca/a-year-already/

Oof. Yeah, when you're bragging about pouring a beer to drink alone in the middle of the afternoon in your empty bar, it doesn't come off as romantic as he thinks it does.

BonerGhost posted:

How much of a friendless loser do you have to be to want to open a bar/restaurant to have people to hang out with?

A buddy of mine got a job as a manager of this local fast food place. It was part of a very small, quirky franchise, and this location was opened by this former engineer who had quit his job after being an insane workaholic who did nothing but stack paper. The owner not-so-secretly wanted the place to be his chance to finally have a social life. Unfortunately, the owner didn't really take into account the fact that a bunch of young people working fast food jobs don't tend to have a lot in common with a rich guy in his late 40s. Particularly a rich guy in his late 40s whose social skills had all but atrophied. The owner ran the place into the ground, doing things like taking the staff out for drinks at close and just hanging around being a nuisance (all the while getting more and more frustrated that all these people who he was paying and also spending so much money to entertain outside of work hours weren't really becoming close to him).

The place lasted about a year.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

BonerGhost posted:

Whole lotta people learned what running a bar was like by watching Cheers, probably.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BonerGhost posted:

buddy, every single episode of bar rescue is about this.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If you want your restaurant to be a chill place to chat with your buds, you don't want a restaurant you want an organized crime front.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Tendales posted:

If you want your restaurant to be a chill place to chat with your buds, you don't want a restaurant you want an organized crime front.
What's the best way to break into that industry?

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Boxman posted:

Whole lotta people learned what running a bar was like by watching Cheers, probably.

I'm paraphrasing another goon, possibly even from this thread: from their ideas of being a bar owner you can tell they grew up watching Cheers and not The Simpsons.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

What's the best way to break into that industry?

Probably do crimes with said organized criminals for a while. A bar/restaurant that's a money laundering front is a better pension plan than most of us will get.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Also found the restaurants YouTube channel. Only two videos but holy cow.

First is video from the one year anniversary party. I looked closely but couldn't spot water dripping from the ceiling but he does pick up a guitar. Fascinating tone to the video as by his own admission the death spiral was firmly locked in at this point:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJZJ_4mphQA

Second video he wanders the neighborhood wearing an ill advised hat, and I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it but at the end he drinks beer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKFp0w3ykqk

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

How much would it cost to rent out an entire Apple store for a wedding?

My fiancé (25F) and I (47M) are lovers of all things Apple. We have only Mac laptops and desktops, only watches we own are Apple watches and have only used iPhones since 2007. We are wanting to get married in an Apple store somewhere near us, closest being Chicago.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to rent out an entire Apple store for the entire weekend? We would have the rehearsal, rehearsal dinner and then wedding ceremony and wedding reception. We are thinking a full 3 course meal served by the geniuses themselves.

Any information would be great. Thank you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This post should be the equivalent of the diseased lung pictures on European cigarettes, just affixed to literally anything you can buy that has a logo on it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

An Apple store would easily pull in six figures of revenue on a busy weekend, so probably at least that much.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Why in the hell would they want the geniuses to serve the food and drinks? Why the hell would the geniuses not refuse to do this dumb thing that is not in their job description? Is the dress code black turtlenecks?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lol wow. I’ve heard of people getting married in Costco… but again, why?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People got Costco's dick firmly lodged in their throat, it's disgusting.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It was a two pack split in the family.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Consumerism is the state religion of America.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Apparently, Costco has an actual officially sanctioned wedding services section and hosting available at some warehouses.

https://www.costco.com/weddings.html

They even sell Costco honeymoon packages:

https://www.costcotravel.com/Travel-Offers/Romance-Honeymoon

I don't think Apple stores officially offer that service, though.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

How much would it cost to rent out an entire Apple store for a wedding?

Got to love this age gap. Also assuming it was just written - iphone is the only phone the bride has used since she was 10? Lol.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Unfortunately Apple doesn't believe in Right to Refill so have fun paying for all those new drinks.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

*googles to check if people have been married inside Wal-Marts, Home Depot, Starbucks, McDonalds…* holy cow people why

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

*googles to check if people have been married inside Wal-Marts, Home Depot, Starbucks, McDonalds…* holy cow people why

Have you seen the cost of renting a wedding venue? Doing your ceremony in a Home Depot is GWM. They'll even let you bring your dog in to be the ring bearer.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

This isn't honeymoons AT Costco though. It's just their travel agency to book honeymoon packages cheaper. We've booked five vacation packages through Costco over the years because they have great pricing.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Got to love this age gap. Also assuming it was just written - iphone is the only phone the bride has used since she was 10? Lol.

running those numbers was also the first thing I did. Kinda weird to be like "remember when we first got our hands on that phone, honey? you were 10 and i was 32..."

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Machai posted:

Well yeah, parrotheads had more disposable income to spend on albums and concerts than millennials. They threw enough money at him he can probably eat wagyu ribeye burgers in paradise instead of cheeseburgers.

He can’t even afford shoes?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Motronic posted:

His true passion was being a professional alcoholic while hanging out with customers as an excuse.

This is slander. He was a dopey wanna-be who liked to drink a bit.

As a former chef and former and current professional alcoholic, don't lump us in with that chucklefuck. He wishes.

E: sure, he was never a chef

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 25, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chef and alcoholic are synonyms

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
As a teen working at a restaurant I had the experience of working next to our lead cook who came in with a hangover so bad he kept a trashcan next to the grill to throw up in.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

An Apple store would easily pull in six figures of revenue on a busy weekend, so probably at least that much.

Apple Stores have a greater revenue-per-square-foot ratio than Tiffany's. Even small stores can pull in over million dollars in sales in a single day during the holiday season or if there is a major product launch. The weekends when they pull in six figures of revenue are the slow ones.

If this was even possible (and it's not, because Apple's brand control is too tight), you'd easily be spending mid-seven figures.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LanceHunter posted:

Apple Stores have a greater revenue-per-square-foot ratio than Tiffany's. Even small stores can pull in over million dollars in sales in a single day during the holiday season or if there is a major product launch. The weekends when they pull in six figures of revenue are the slow ones.

If this was even possible (and it's not, because Apple's brand control is too tight), you'd easily be spending mid-seven figures.

gross

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Chuckling at the idea of Apple stores being like pot stores and forced to operate on a cash only basis, and their bank runs are like the convoy scene from black hawk down.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

It's happened at least twice:

https://www.yourengagement101.com/blog/2010/02/couple-weds-in-apple-store/

quote:

“I used to joke that the Apple Store is my church because I am not religious, and I loved everything Apple,” he said. “Ting then came up with the idea of having the wedding there.”

https://www.redmondpie.com/couple-chooses-apple-store-as-post-wedding-photography-location/

The real question is how BWM would it be to set up a glass cube shaped wedding venue that's vaguely "Apple" "Store" themed and hire a bunch of hipsters in polo shirts to staff it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Gaius Marius posted:

Chef and alcoholic are synonyms

Hey now. Not all alcoholics are chefs

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Hey now. Not all alcoholics are chefs

It's true, my husband can't cook for poo poo.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Elephanthead posted:

He can’t even afford shoes?

Quite the opposite, he can afford to pay a ton for a personal podiatrist and bionic feet when his natural ones wear out.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Machai posted:

and bionic feet

Adios, turdnuggets

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

“You know, for kids”

https://twitter.com/wallstcynic/status/1541065691335479300?s=21&t=ltIdpjEOVlZo-5XbB-O9XA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Betteridge’s law of headlines but it’s just no, the venture capital firm does not have any shame.