Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
For Tolkien specifically?

I agree about it happening in general a lot more than three times, but I don't know about how many times Tolkien had to go through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

A.o.D. posted:

Your understanding is correct. It means darker skinned, but not black, usually. It's often used with bigoted connotations, but not always. Just be careful with it.

Yeah this is exactly what I was getting at.

It's also funny that bulletsponge really isn't into Tolkien, because "swarthy and built like a dwarf" sounds so much like a deliberate nod to the guy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

SerthVarnee posted:

For Tolkien specifically?

I agree about it happening in general a lot more than three times, but I don't know about how many times Tolkien had to go through it.

Even once is probably enough to give someone some Thoughts about survivor's guilt. It kind of puts Frodo's ending in a new light for me.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah this is exactly what I was getting at.

It's also funny that bulletsponge really isn't into Tolkien, because "swarthy and built like a dwarf" sounds so much like a deliberate nod to the guy.

I love fantasy and the world. Just not the wiring.

I think I get annoyed because I know Tolkein os avoiding his own nightmares, but he based some of those battles of history, and I want to hear how the different races fight.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

I love fantasy and the world. Just not the wiring.

I think I get annoyed because I know Tolkein os avoiding his own nightmares, but he based some of those battles of history, and I want to hear how the different races fight.

Well, poo poo. That's kinda just Warhammer 40k.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

Well, poo poo. That's kinda just Warhammer 40k.

Similar thing- I enjoy much of the world and lore, but it's entirely too dense, contradictory, and scattered.

I want to be an Ork.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Similar thing- I enjoy much of the world and lore, but it's entirely too dense, contradictory, and scattered.

I want to be an Ork.

A bulletsponge in King Gorkamorka's court:

"Hey! I need a truck."

"Oh yeah, human? Red, yellow, orange, or black?"

"Red?"

"Goz fastah."

"Yellow?"

"Goz BOOM."

"Orange?"

"Goz fastah and BOOM!"

"Black?"

(Look, I deal with orks here. No one gets that far. Whatever it is, it scares even us.)

"So I'm just going to leave the keys here for you, human. Aaaaand if the Emperor asks..."

"I don't know you. Got it."

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Oh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04cwo850t3o

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

I want to be an Ork.

:hmmorks:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

A bulletsponge in King Gorkamorka's court:

"Hey! I need a truck."

"Oh yeah, human? Red, yellow, orange, or black?"

"Red?"

"Goz fastah."

"Yellow?"

"Goz BOOM."

"Orange?"

"Goz fastah and BOOM!"

"Black?"

(Look, I deal with orks here. No one gets that far. Whatever it is, it scares even us.)

"So I'm just going to leave the keys here for you, human. Aaaaand if the Emperor asks..."

"I don't know you. Got it."

We'z iz smoshin 'edz 'ere oomie!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was unaware of this Zevon track. ❤❤ I love that bastard. Roland got me interested into Cold War Africa as a kid, because I am huge dork.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I have a favor of type to ask-

If anyone has a question or prompt or anything like that, please post it. I want to keep a strong rhythm going and not lose momentum, but sometimes the things closest are things I don't have the reserves to get into, or can't connect details to the event in my head.

Update tomorrow at the latest.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
There was a kickstarter for a iraq war memoir about a guy who was in a stryker battalion that I got, and the thing that struck me was the amount of sleep that he didn't get - as in, they'd go out on patrols and they would be non-stop for 24 or more hours.
* In that sort of situation are the soldiers awake all that time, or are the moments when everyone can get 5 or 10 or 20 minute naps?
* What does being awake for those long periods do to sleep patterns, both while still in theatre and when you back from deployment?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I’m pretty sure everyone has seen movies featuring a drill sergeant. Typically, said sergeant has a perpetual bad temper. But are drill sergeants really like that?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have a favor of type to ask-

If anyone has a question or prompt or anything like that, please post it. I want to keep a strong rhythm going and not lose momentum, but sometimes the things closest are things I don't have the reserves to get into, or can't connect details to the event in my head.

Update tomorrow at the latest.

The first day that you stepped back on to US soil, leaving the middle east behind for good, did you feel safer, happier, anxious, homesick for Iraq, calmer or scared? Don't mind me if this is something you don't wanna delve into.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Thank you guys- they will go onto a list of things to tackle, because I'm supposed to do this more regularly. Next week I'm going to try and have a semi-set schedule of posting.
Short one tonight. Nothing great.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
"Nothing great, just a recounting on how we disobeyed direct orders to save lives"....

Right then.

Btw I got another question for you list of prompts.
Since I know absolutely fuckall about what its like to live in Iraq, I'm curious to hear about the Iraqi view of what constitutes normal weather and what constitutes "story time for the grandkids" weather.
I'd also love to hear more about the Iraqi food and how much you got to participate in the local food culture vs relying on MREs, weird longterm energy snack bars, energy drinks and food provided by the army logistics system, on base and away from base.
Stuff like ever getting to wash your clothes or plug things into an electrical outlet would also be nice to learn about. I honestly don't know if you just wore the same blood-soaked gear from day 1 to end of tour or if you got a chance to wash stuff on base or in civilian housing/random stream.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Our Protagonist Vs Soviet Technology

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Apologies. Thought I had uploaded this already.

A short poem about Rocket #5.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Our silence isn't indifference, it's just :allears:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I mean, I'm hanging on every word, but as a civilian I don't know how appropriate it is for me to even be here, much less comment, so I try to keep my mouth shut.

Your writing continues to be exceptional.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
A lot of these are stirring for me in a way that I also don't really feel qualified to comment on as a civilian, but I do gotta say that I laughed my rear end off at the GAZ story.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

I mean, I'm hanging on every word, but as a civilian I don't know how appropriate it is for me to even be here, much less comment, so I try to keep my mouth shut.

I can't speak for the rest of the subforum, but this is my thread, and you are welcome to give any input you'd feel would contribute.

This whole thing still feels like ego posting. Though today an interesting thing happened. I've told the 'Winged Hussar' story a bunch of times. I love the story. But sharing it today was the first time it ever felt like it had weight. Like I never really thought about the bullshit at BN and how it really did kinda cause some static.

I do this because I like sharing stories. Once it's written and posted, it's out and free. I don't really care what happens after that, so the silence doesn't reflect much to me. I'll keep doing this until we collectively have decided it's finished.

If my tendency to treat each as independent episodes. If that bugs anyone, sorry. I do it that way in the very unlikely event anyone wants to share this further, and so that people who pop in and just want little bites don't have to read everything.

Voyager I posted:

A lot of these are stirring for me in a way that I also don't really feel qualified to comment on as a civilian, but I do gotta say that I laughed my rear end off at the GAZ story.

I didn't go for the easy analogy of '2001', but just an ape with a rock.

I'm not sure I've felt such unbridled glee since.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 19, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Hyperlynx posted:

Same. These are absolutely some of the best stories I've read in a long time.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I can't speak for the rest of the subforum, but this is my thread, and you are welcome to give any input you'd feel would contribute.

You have a great talent for setting the scene and providing exactly enough information that the reader can fill in the empty holes themselves and really set the scene, an eye for knowing which details are important for getting the feel and texture of the scene right and which can be left out.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 19, 2022

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
The physical writing and the stories really bring home what an utter hellhole it must of been for everyone, both yourself, the american army and the iraqi populace.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

bulletsponge13 posted:

I didn't go for the easy analogy of '2001', but just an ape with a rock.

I'm not sure I've felt such unbridled glee since.
This is somehow incredibly wholesome.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Admin note- I got the wrong size notebook, so scans might be a little wonkish.

The following takes place over about 15-20 minutes.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've reached a point that I had to list the episodes I've shared. I know I will repeat myself enough already- I had to check before I started on a new episode.

Two pieces coming tomorrow.

Thanks as always.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've reached a point that I had to list the episodes I've shared. I know I will repeat myself enough already- I had to check before I started on a new episode.

Thanks as always.
:f5:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bulletsponge13 posted:

Thanks as always.

This has been therapeutic for me, because it's helped bring what I experienced together in my own head. Thanks, man. You're performing a public service.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This has been therapeutic for me, because it's helped bring what I experienced together in my own head. Thanks, man. You're performing a public service.

If I'm helping others, that owns. Seriously. Gives me a little motivation.

Sorry- update got pushed to tomorrow. Ended up getting caught in the adult world for most of the day. I know I don't 'owe' you guys an explanation, but I like giving updates for accountability.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Apologizing for that sort of thing is of course always nice of you, but keep in mind that you are doing a public service voluntarily without compensation.
You are not doing this out of indentured servitude to the public.
These stories are a gift you bestow upon us without expecting anything in return, we have absolutely no right or interest in demanding or pressuring for more than you are happy to give.

This is only awesome as long as you are having a good time sharing. Otherwise this will end up like a bunch of yokels in a bar surrounding a veteran who just wants to enjoy his beer in peace, clamoring for him to tell another war story.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Slight change of plans.
One piece tonight, 3 part variation on a theme- Land Mines.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If this thread wasn't headed for the gold mine it should be now.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Midjack posted:

My wife said that last story- which I might revisit for more detail/better work- 'says everything someone needs to know about you.'

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

That candy wrapper business is like an entire episode's worth of B plot for the HBO series.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Madurai posted:

That candy wrapper business is like an entire episode's worth of B plot for the HBO series.

I don't like Twizzlers.
I don't know that I was ever a fan, but after sitting there waiting for someone to Houdini into low earth orbit to that conclusion, I don't eat them. There is probably some deep seated poo poo there, but I think it's just because it sucks as a candy, and that was the final straw.

Watching how Americans littered the countryside was disgusting, and offensive as someone who strived for a sense of professionalism.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Midjack posted:

Doesn't goldmining lock the thread?

I mean, other than that, 100% agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Goddamn that story about pulling a prank with a landmine...

What the gently caress outcome did they expect to get? Aside from the idiotic round of laughs they got at that moment.
I mean that soldier would presumably go on to continue being a part of their squad. So now they've utterly hosed with the mind of someone armed with a rifle and a responsibility to keep their backs from being swizz cheesed by the enemy.
I don't think I'll ever understand the mindset of hazing those your life depends on. Sure it seems to work out fine a lot of the time.
But goddamn that is just a textbook example of mental health issues coming down the line for that poor kid after he gets out.