Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

I knew someone in college that swore that was the best mouse.

I can understand a track ball to use your hand but a thumb track ball?!

He’d play Morrowind all day. Always jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
praise the lord it comes in wired

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

I knew someone in college that swore that was the best mouse.

I can understand a track ball to use your hand but a thumb track ball?!

He’d play Morrowind all day. Always jumping.

its not a thumb trackball, your thumb sits at the scroll wheel there, your index & middle finger on the ball and your other two on the other buttons

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

speaking of funy old tech poo poo, i still maintain the logitech trackman marble fx is the best trackball formfactor

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

i gotta say, i feel like a trackball is one of those things where being wireless doesn't really add anything except for annoyance

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jabor posted:

i gotta say, i feel like a trackball is one of those things where being wireless doesn't really add anything except for annoyance

its good, actually, because i can plug in the dongle into the KVM and put the trackball in a drawer while i'm not using it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

tk posted:

Oh if we’re talking about mouses I have to recommend the best mouse:

i have an evoluent verticalmouse, is this the same deal?

e: also i use the left-handed version

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had a wireless trackball that my friend gave me but the dongle thing would drop out pretty easily, and bluetooth is annoying a f to share between multiple machines on a switch so i bought the wired version

then it would gently caress up every so often, making me un/replug it in. so i complained at kensington and they sent me a new one

it still does it, but less often. idk if it's a hardware thing or a driver thing

but i love my giant ball

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jabor posted:

i guess you can use it on the couch or somewhere else without a flat surface for a mouse

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The most likely place to see trackballs in 2022 is the military. They are more robust than mice in several ways.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Achmed Jones posted:

join me as a trackball haver rotor

rotor posted:

i've got an elecom and it's good, i swap between em every now & then to keep the RSI at bay

:hmmyes: i like my deft pro. i remapped a few buttons to left and right click for comfort and a double click that has been so useful

rotor posted:

speaking of funy old tech poo poo, i still maintain the logitech trackman marble fx is the best trackball formfactor

the trackman cordless was my previous trackball and logitech just had such a knack for making a really good trackball, then discontinuing it. the cordless aspect was totally meaningless, since the unique receiver needed to be inches away, and it was a chunky puck, unlike their other usb sticks

Jabor posted:

since the pro does wired/bt/receiver i can get a three devices on a toggle. wired is best, but it makes multi-device pairing easy

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Netbooks

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I have a Kensington track ball from the nineties. it’s adb. and has its own adb to usb dongle!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

adb yeah you know me

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

13W3

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

these little things were a lot of fun for 2009-2011. I could travel with it, it was powerful enough to play Altitude, and it was my first couchputer

Then I got an MBA :)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
discrete MMUs

like instead of having an MMU in the CPU itself, there’s discrete logic between the CPU and its memory and peripherals—at first truly discrete logic, a pile of 7400-series logic plus very fast SRAM—to do address comparison and substitution to enable mapping, protection, and segmenting or paging

this really came to the fore as companies started building minicomputer-like systems with the 68000; there was no MMU and the CPU didn’t support instruction resumption upon a bus error, but Apollo, Stanford/Sun, Apple, Alpha Micro, Hewlett-Packard, etc. didn’t let that hold them back from building interrupt-based MMUs that enabled segment mapping and protection

by the time the 68010 was announced with the 68451 MMU, many of the companies that would have used the latter had already consolidated their MMU designs into PALs and even custom VLSI so Motorola had few customers, which is why they’re hard to come by in the wild today

heck, Sun, Apollo, and Hewlett-Packard (and probably others) didn’t even use the 68851 MMU that was announced with the 68020; instead they just used enhanced versions of their existing MMU designs, which they’d switched from segmented to paging during the 68010 era (since it supports instruction resumption on bus error)

one of the advantages of the discrete MMUs is that they didn’t just sit in between the CPU and the rest of the system, they could also do mapping for I/O operations, something that today we recognize as the purpose of an IOMMU

this means, perversely, that a Sun-3/60 (68020 with discrete MMU) is in a certain sense “more secure” than a Sun-3/80 (68030 with built-in MMU), because on the former I/O goes through the same translation and protection mechanisms as all other memory accesses. sadly, I don’t know whether that was leveraged, since in that era there wasn’t hot-plug external I/O that could do DMA to worry about, and translation systems often added an extra clock cycle to memory accesses (which is why lots of these systems also added instruction and data cache)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
oh yeah, discrete CPUs too

everyone who’s had a real CS or EE education has implemented a simple CPU using discrete logic, whether in simulation or on a breadboard, as a “this is the way it used to work” thing that people assume was left to 70s minicomputers

but they lived well into the 1980s—and not just for minicomputers!

in probably the best example, Apollo shipped a fully 32-bit 68K implementation before Motorola

see, the 68000 instruction set and registers are 32-bit, but the ALU and data paths are all 16-bit, and the address bus is 24-bit

so Apollo took the 68000 instruction & register set and built a a fully 32-bit bit-slice, microcoded implementation to use in their highest end workstations before the 68020 was available as samples

evidently Motorola was OK with this; I assume Apollo paid a license fee per CPU, and/or promised to use the 68020 when it did become available—they actually shipped these systems concurrently with the 68020 systems for a while since they were so fast

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

a real education

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!
funy computer

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i just dont find computers these days to be funy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The printer-carrier.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

rotor posted:

i just dont find computers these days to be funy

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The printer-carrier.

If you see granos, call the cops

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The printer-carrier.

Is that a real thing or are you referencing the goon who carried an inkjet 5 miles through desert heat in the hopes of a hug he wouldn't get

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Forums Medic posted:

Is that a real thing or are you referencing the goon who carried an inkjet 5 miles through desert heat in the hopes of a hug he wouldn't get

yes

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Forums Medic posted:

I desperately need more info on this one

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I desperately need more info on this one

you were around to see it live: https://www.somethingawful.com/great-goon-database/great-goon-best/3/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Forums Medic posted:

Are you saying that wasn't real?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Wait is this somehow different from the goon who carried a printer to a girls place and set up a meterpreter listener or some poo poo to access the webcam later and got busted because of the webcam access light? I don’t have time to look up the full thing now. It was Granos, right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Wait is this somehow different from the goon who carried a printer to a girls place and set up a meterpreter listener or some poo poo to access the webcam later and got busted because of the webcam access light? I don’t have time to look up the full thing now. It was Granos, right?

that was different.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Wait is this somehow different from the goon who spied on their sister with a webcam?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

printer dude, instead of just printing something and giving it to her at school, carried printer a couple of miles in hot rear end weather only to have to sit an janitor the gal's computer while she made out with her boyfriend on the bed behind them. i seem to recall he thought about stealing her underwear when she stepped out of the room.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

he didn’t have the software on his computer, and printing to pdf wasn’t widely available

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

also i think he died (unrelated to printers)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah i'm pretty sure he suicided

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

thank you for the corrections. i have amended my mental store of the printer guy to include lack of compatible software and the eventual suicide unrelated to printers.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

suicide unrelated to printers.

i wouldn't say THAT

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

borky was the printer carrier:

Borky posted:

A loose female acquaintance of mine calls me at 1:00am today and asks me if I could print something on the computer for her and bring it over in the afternoon. "Hey yeah sure sure, whatever you need I'll help you, I'm all yours," I tell her. She sends me this file and lo and behold I can't open it. It's made in Microsoft Publisher and I don't have that program so I begin panicing, trying to find this program or a way to print the file. Scouring the internet yields no results and I do my usual pacing in my room.

I finally come up with an idea and I tell the girl, if I can proceed with it. The plan was I would carry my printer about 2miles to her house, print out the needed pages, maybe talk to her a bit while I was there. I was hoping for at least a hug out of this ordeal.

By the time I get there, I'm wet all over from sweating in the +90 degree heat outside and carrying a heavy motherfucking HP Deskjet printer. The first thing I see upon entering her room (my first time in a girl's bedroom) are some panties on her bed.

After the initial shock of seeing such a horrific sight for the first time, I setup the printer and get my job done. However, I did consider sniffing the lingere when she left the room once, but with the wuss that I am, I just ended up staring at them the whole while. That was a sarcastic joke for those of you too stupid to realize that

To make a long story short, just as I was finishing up with the printing job (which was hefty), her boyfriend and his gay friend walk in, say hello, and begin hanging out in the room as they waited for the girl to finish this work so they could go to the mall.

This effectively ruins my chances of getting a hug and I walk another 2 miles home with the motherfucking printer in hand. The only thing that I got out of this were some very painful fingers and a "thanks" as I walked out her bedroom door.

So, am I pathetic for doing all these things? It wouldn't be the first time I've pledged my heart and soul to a girl and gotten back almost nothing in return. I would hate turning her or anyone else I knew down or making up some lie.

granos was the mega creep, see his saclopedia article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

the horrific sight of underwear :eek: