Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Little Kevin telling them about Spongebob :3:

Also, less innocent but still oddly sweet:

"You got laid yet?"
"poo poo I think I already been burnt!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The idea of Ed Burns and David Simon just yelling at each other all the time is pretty funny.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

escape artist posted:

Remember Little Kevin?

If Chas McGill knew how to flip it even just a little, my poo poo'd be in handcuffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4QgNwaxjZc

drat I totally forgot about that

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Another goon linked this long and in depth article about Suiter in the WOtC thread and it's a good read

https://davidsimon.com/sean-suiter/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Don't think I've ever seen this before but it's incredible, The Wire as an RPG:

Apart from the Season 2 diss :mad:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah this is amazing, and I laughed at S2.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Episode 3 of the podcast with all the classic "I knew I got the part / I didn't want the part / I didn't think I got the part" stories.

Including the always funny Dominic West speaking in his English accent.

Edit: I didn't know the cancelled after season 3 story.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 19, 2022

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

thinking about season 2 and its kind of amazing that throughout the entire show they never even got close to the system of drugs and solving it, in regards to the bigger picture - The Greek.

The Greek is the bigger evil of the entire show, and he is a ghost from the beginning to the end. The police barely even know he exists, and they put no effort into finding him once he disappears at season 2, never comes up on their radar when he returns, and when the show ends he's doing exactly what he was doing from the very start.

For all the battles of Breaking Bad v The Wire there hasn't really been that The Greek is essentially Heisenberg but in Baltimore.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And while it is a gut punch to see he is back where he was like nothing changed in season 5, it's made clear this was the case even before season 2 ended. Spiros straight up saying he was only going to be gone briefly, and the horrifying line about there always being more women being shown to be true in the closing season montage showing more sex workers being let out of a shipping container.

The Greek is as close as the Major Case Squad ever got to a truly big deal drug kingpin and even he was relatively small fry, and all that hard work and effort they put in for the best result they ever managed ultimately resulted in.... him being mildly inconvenienced and then going right back to what he was doing before.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The Greek is a bigger cog in the Drug War Machine but he is almost certainly as replaceable as anyone else; so long as prohibition exists, the machine will keep grinding away interminably and the violence will continue. I'm sure there'd be plenty of cut throat gangster capitalists ready to pounce on his market at the drop of a hat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, what I meant by him still being relatively small fry. He running drugs (and stolen goods, and sex workers, and who knows what else) in Baltimore, he's probably making an enormous amount of money and he's undoubtedly got a level of power beyond the West Side/East Side "kingpins" he sells too.... but he's not some world-shaker/mover (and is pretty much under the thumb of Counter-Terrorism, even though it's mutually beneficial).

We already see in the show that when Avon's own connection for good quality drugs got cut off and immediately Joe was there to offer the Greek's drugs to Stringer: it's an oft-mocked line but "you can't call this a war, war's end" is a pretty accurate statement regarding the "War on Drugs", and the Greek is a pretty good example of that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The main reason the police can't go all the way to the top of the drug hierarchy is because ultimately the US security agencies are heavily involved in all of that poo poo.

The main reason the police can't follow the money is because elements of the political and capital class is heavily involved in all of that poo poo.

These are the institutions the police exist to protect, not threaten.

Drugs are a profitable tool of empire and western imperialist states are the biggest drug dealers of all and have been for hundreds of years. The gently caress did anyone think the opium wars were all about?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Finally started We Own This City after waiting for all the eps to come out and I'm liking it a lot so far. Particularly how it is a showcase of the Baltimore accent in a way that the wire never fully reached (though not being from there, I couldn't say whether the actors who are putting it on artificially are doing it well or not)

Bernthal's great as the lead, really embodies the worst kind of cop energy very convincingly.

Also i'm embarrassed to say how long it took me to realize that the overtime slip interstitials were there to directly tell the viewer what year it is in any given scene, that was nice of them to add

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, that was a nice, simple device used to help orient the viewer.

Don’t mean at all to try to run you out of this thread, but we were talking about it a lot in its dedicated thread back when it was airing. Discussion has died down a bit now though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4001457

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also i'm embarrassed to say how long it took me to realize that the overtime slip interstitials were there to directly tell the viewer what year it is in any given scene, that was nice of them to add

Took me a while too, and that made the first episodes very confusing

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, that was a nice, simple device used to help orient the viewer.

Don’t mean at all to try to run you out of this thread, but we were talking about it a lot in its dedicated thread back when it was airing. Discussion has died down a bit now though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4001457

Oh I forgot there was a thread, thank you! I am behind the curve in all things

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
They never told us who shot Snot, did they?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

America did, man.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Finished my rewatch.

GOAT

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It was a guy with a gun.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Probably Prez.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The sequel series no one is asking for would be about an aging McNulty going back onto the streets of Baltimore to finally solve the case that started it all

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pirate Radar posted:

The sequel series no one is asking for would be about an aging McNulty going back onto the streets of Baltimore to finally solve the case that started it all

It goes all the way to the top! The most toppest and even Not-Martin O'Malley had a hand in it!
But it's b'more. No one cares.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Snot Boogie got me thinking about the best cold opens of the wire and they're all pretty much Omar (Omar in jail is incredible, but Omar goes out for Cheerios and Omar vs mouzone are really good too). Drunk Jimmy is up there, though. He plays a drunk so good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Probably Prez.

Prez blinded a child, but he also killed a cop. Truly a land of contrasts.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Best cold open is S4E01 when Snoop is in the hardware store buying the nail gun. “He said if you wanna shoot nails this here’s the Cadillac. He meant Lexus but he don’t know it”.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

zenguitarman posted:

Snot Boogie got me thinking about the best cold opens of the wire and they're all pretty much Omar (Omar in jail is incredible, but Omar goes out for Cheerios and Omar vs mouzone are really good too). Drunk Jimmy is up there, though. He plays a drunk so good.

Yeah McNulty crashing the car is great

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

Best cold open is S4E01 when Snoop is in the hardware store buying the nail gun. “He said if you wanna shoot nails this here’s the Cadillac. He meant Lexus but he don’t know it”.

Quotin’ for truth. You earned that bump like a motherfucker, man. Keep that poo poo.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Jewmanji posted:

https://youtu.be/JDpvkwBBu6U

E:FB

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Prez blinded a child, but he also killed a cop. Truly a land of contrasts.

Something about the way they say “Prez shot another cop” when they get the call in s3 makes it sound like he’s done it before

I also like the scene after between freamon and uhhhhh I forget her name, I’m ashamed to say, but Daniels asks them for an official statement on whether prez might have been racially motivated, and after he leaves the room they’re low-key like “…it was probably a race thing though, huh”

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Something about the way they say “Prez shot another cop” when they get the call in s3 makes it sound like he’s done it before

I also like the scene after between freamon and uhhhhh I forget her name, I’m ashamed to say, but Daniels asks them for an official statement on whether prez might have been racially motivated, and after he leaves the room they’re low-key like “…it was probably a race thing though, huh”

The woman was leaning that way but Fraemon wasn't at all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Count Roland posted:

The woman was leaning that way but Fraemon wasn't at all.

My recollection of the scene is him saying that, but it kind of sounded like he was trying to convince himself as much as anyone. It was something like:

"For real though, you think Prez would have shot him if he was white?"

"The description called for a number one male"

"I'm just saying..."

*freamon conspicuously ends the conversation*

Maybe i'm reading into it wrong but I feel like on some level Freamon suspected the same. But not to a "put it in the official report" degree.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ainsley McTree posted:

My recollection of the scene is him saying that, but it kind of sounded like he was trying to convince himself as much as anyone. It was something like:

"For real though, you think Prez would have shot him if he was white?"

"The description called for a number one male"

"I'm just saying..."

*freamon conspicuously ends the conversation*

Maybe i'm reading into it wrong but I feel like on some level Freamon suspected the same. But not to a "put it in the official report" degree.

Even Prez himself isn't totally sure IIRC

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Ainsley McTree posted:

Caroline Massey. Calvin's niece that has the bingo.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

christmas boots posted:

Even Prez himself isn't totally sure IIRC

Iirc he tells Daniels who then just has no loving idea what to even do with that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Iirc he tells Daniels who then just has no loving idea what to even do with that.

He walks out of the room and says Prez needs to be put on suicide watch

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jewmanji posted:

My aunt once attempted to watch the show, and from her description I think that was the first scene she saw.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kazzah posted:

My aunt once attempted to watch the show, and from her description I think that was the first scene she saw.

Well I can see why she stopped, she realized that she had just watched the best scene in the best season of television ever made (best episode still goes to Twin Peaks S03E08) and it was all downhill from here.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Shocking reveal on The Wire at 20 podcast that JD Williams (Bodie) once made Domenick Lombardozzi (Herc) watch an episode of anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Shocking reveal on The Wire at 20 podcast that JD Williams (Bodie) once made Domenick Lombardozzi (Herc) watch an episode of anime.

Different wire actor, but i'll take any excuse to post this again