Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Request: in honor of Tim Sale's passing, could some fellow goon(s) post some badass panels of his? (Yes, I know 'expressive' is a better adjective than 'bad-rear end' for most of his work, at least that I've seen, but the man was quite talented.) I once owned the Long Halloween, but that was given away a couple of moves ago, else I'd do it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Endless Mike posted:

Oh I know. In this comic, he slips when getting on the top ropes and drops her on her face first onto the mat, presumably breaking her neck and killing her. It's not pretty. Definitely check it out!

Wait a minute, this is a wrestling comic where they acknowledge and incorporate into the plot that wrestling is fake?

That's badass.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Request: in honor of Tim Sale's passing, could some fellow goon(s) post some badass panels of his? (Yes, I know 'expressive' is a better adjective than 'bad-rear end' for most of his work, at least that I've seen, but the man was quite talented.) I once owned the Long Halloween, but that was given away a couple of moves ago, else I'd do it myself.

Absolutely.

Hellboy: Winter Special (2016)

Batman: The Long Halloween #8

Daredevil: Yellow #2

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Grendels Dad posted:

Wait a minute, this is a wrestling comic where they acknowledge and incorporate into the plot that wrestling is fake?

That's badass.

Yes, though the end of the issue teases the main character joining some sort of demon wrestling league which is presumably a shoot.

The Crimson Cage was a good recent comic about wrestling which acknowledged that the while the fights aren't real the drama certainly can be.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

That's badass.

The Headlocked series does, as well. It's mostly only wrestling comics made by/for wrestling companies that stay within kayfabe (or in the case of Boom!'s WWE comics, not only treat wrestling as real, but supernatural characters as actually supernatural)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

JordanKai posted:

Absolutely.

Batman: The Long Halloween #8

Daredevil: Yellow #2

That's probably one of the best images of Scarecrow ever, I love how the sky and horse look, so much negative space and then you have this insane straw man escaping Arkham on horseback.

Never got around to reading Daredevil: Yellow, going to need to change that. I loved how he drew and made Batman so impossibly imposing everything about Long Halloween just steeped in noir, the silent full splash page reveals on characters or scenes. Superman for all Seasons is also a favorite of mine.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Neal Adams drew some gorgeous poo poo and also liked my classic Loki shirt when I met him so he's two for two in my book.

However his signature is just this

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Dang, he did Superman: For All Seasons? I somehow never knew, I thought it was Cooke. Rest in peace man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tim Sale also did all the artwork for the artist character from the show Heroes if anyone remembers that show.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Tim Sale also did all the artwork for the artist character from the show Heroes if anyone remembers that show.

Tim Sale's artwork was the best part of that show...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Open Marriage Night posted:

The first half or two-thirds of the first season is pretty good. There was a good mystery, the slow reveal of powers was fun, and Sylar was a decent villain.

It was never great, but it had a lot of promise. Then it went exactly nowhere.

I would love for someone to revisit it with modern, for-streaming show standards. Especially shorter seasons to limit the amount of filler.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
There was an attempt at reviving the series a few years ago. It flopped hard.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Remember when we finally got to the point where Sylar and the other power stealing guy were gonna throw down and then it just happens off screen and you see blue flashes and that's it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Push El Burrito posted:

Remember when we finally got to the point where Sylar and the other power stealing guy were gonna throw down and then it just happens off screen and you see blue flashes and that's it?

Funny enough that series actually pulls that move more than once. I remember two big scenes that literally happen off screen as someone closes a door right when they start. Gotta save that budget.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
My favorite was when Peter's rear end in a top hat father just went "I have your power now" in the most monotone voice possible. There were flashes of competence in the show, but it was mostly them being way too attached to the stupidest ideas and failing to execute. Like Jesus Christ Sylar should never have been a thing that went multiple years.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Remember when they kept killing off Ali Larter's characters and then introducing her secret identical twin then triplet because they didn't want to get rid of her

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
IIRC, the whole thing was a failed experiment where they had intended to swap out the whole cast of supers every season, but people got too attached to the characters so they had to scrap the whole series bible and wing it and IT DID NOT GO WELL.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Toshimo posted:

IIRC, the whole thing was a failed experiment where they had intended to swap out the whole cast of supers every season, but people got too attached to the characters so they had to scrap the whole series bible and wing it and IT DID NOT GO WELL.

The second season also got caught in the writer’s strike. But yeah the show was meant to be an anthology with a rotating cast every season but then when your show becomes a hit you can’t loving change anything in it so everyone gets to stay.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It was also directly proportional to Fuller. When he was working on it initially it was good, then he left and it tanked, then he came back for like 3 episodes and they were a marker difference in quality, and then he left again and it went back to being terrible.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i can't even remember when in the series this took place but i think i checked out after they made sylar like an anti hero buddy cop but then all of a sudden he's like gently caress this and kills the woman he was teaming up with for the previous few episodes

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
the whole thing felt like a series of punts, like they took plot hook suggestions at random from the internet and tried to write episodes around them

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

site posted:

i can't even remember when in the series this took place but i think i checked out after they made sylar like an anti hero buddy cop but then all of a sudden he's like gently caress this and kills the woman he was teaming up with for the previous few episodes

Wasn't it that he had amnesia but had the equivalent of Rogue's touch steal power. And at some point he got his memory back and then killed her. Or was he faking and going around stealing people's powers. Or was that season one with the doctor?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

MasterBuilder posted:

Wasn't it that he had amnesia but had the equivalent of Rogue's touch steal power. And at some point he got his memory back and then killed her. Or was he faking and going around stealing people's powers. Or was that season one with the doctor?

I haven't watched the show since it was airing but let's see if I can remember the absurdly convoluted plotline for Sylar over the seasons:

Straightforward crazy bad guy in season 1.

Season 2 one of the characters lies to him and pretends to be his mom to trick him into working for her as a sort-of good guy and then he becomes a bad guy again once he realizes he was lied to and kills the people he was working with.

Season 3 he's a bad guy and then gets beaten at the end of the season and the lady who was pretending to be his mom has JJ Abrams' friend use his psychic powers to mindwipe Sylar and make him think he's actually her real son (Adrian Pasdar) he'd previously murdered.

In season 4 he snaps out of the amnesia/brainwashing and then becomes a good guy by the end of the season for reasons I cannot be bothered to remember.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There was also the time Peter left his girlfriend stranded in a dystopian future and then came back to the present and erased that timeline from happening so I guess she's just dead now!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

X-O posted:

There was also the time Peter left his girlfriend stranded in a dystopian future and then came back to the present and erased that timeline from happening so I guess she's just dead now!

I saw the username and my brain jammed into neutral because I thought it was about Peter Parker for a hot second.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Toshimo posted:

I saw the username and my brain jammed into neutral because I thought it was about Peter Parker for a hot second.

This probably also happened.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
1970s Pete would do that, then mope about it for a few years.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

Heroes LOVED dystopian futures. They had like 7 versions of it. Then heroes reborn did it again! It’s how they actually beat the bad guy (leaving her stranded in a future that gets erased)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They pulled the "Sylar is good now" thing at least 3 times, though it was usually worth it for when he'd inevitably go back and do some big set piece massacre

X-O posted:

That was due to the writers strike cutting everything short, though no real excuse for not following up in the other two seasons

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Flying Zamboni posted:

In season 4 he snaps out of the amnesia/brainwashing and then becomes a good guy by the end of the season for reasons I cannot be bothered to remember.

He and Peter were stuck in his mind for like half a subjective decade, and then he was good. And he goes like "Sorry I brutally slaughtered your brother for laughs." an Peter is like "Yeah that sucked but guess we are cool now.". And I felt bad for Adrian Pasdar, as not even death was enough to get him release from that show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funniest thing they did with Adrian Pasdar on Heroes was how he started a season with a big beard after a time skip. Then when they finally went back to reveal what happened during the skip they messed up and left him with like a week to go from clean shaven to big mountain man beard.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't Hayden Panettiere's character work at a comic store for a while?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I mainly remember the thread making their own hero names for everyone and either Aatrek or Old Senile Guy getting madder and madder about everyonebysing those names instead of the characters names.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

X-O posted:

this is my favorite, it's like they had a big story arc planned out and then just .... forgot all about it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Flesh Forge posted:

this is my favorite, it's like they had a big story arc planned out and then just .... forgot all about it

This describes roughly 60% of all story arcs on Heroes. Especially after season 1

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Every time I think of Heroes I think of the time some person on Facebook shared a picture of a girl who was in shock after being shot in the leg from a gang shooting. It was a behind the scenes photo of Kristen Bell.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Heroes really was the DC Challenge of television

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

My favourite bit from Heroes was they brought in Christopher Eccleston to play a character who was Invisible. (I even think he did this really amazing "my names Claude Reins. Geddit?" line that Eccleston was able to really sell.)

But then Eccleston is fired/leaves the show.

So they do some flashback stuff for when his character would have been around. And it's a whole lot of other people going "Claude is here too. Being invisible and not saying anything."
It was great.

And let's be honest about Heroes.
The very first episode promised that it was telling this story about the dawning of a generation of super people.
And that is what drew people in. Nobody knew it exactly, but what they came for (even of they didn't say it) was they wanted a superhero universe. And they didn't get it.
They wanted the MCU before the MCU was a thing. And Heroes was not capable of being that.
And I also believe that is one of the reasons the MCU has been so successful. It is scratching an itch.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The first season worked at a good clip for the first 2/3rds too, it was a mustery box show that didnt let the smaller mysteries linger, they didnt worry about leaving story hooks for next season. It stuttered then they were asked to change their format and not finish the stories that season.

It's also the show that made Marvel decision makers believe Jeph Loeb was capable of running the MCU's tv wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's also the show that made Marvel decision makers believe Jeph Loeb was capable of running the MCU's tv wing.

Was Loeb Heroes' showrunner?