Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.
Missing player is not answering, so need one more player to start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Hi friends I am the official replacement.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.
We are starting! From now on, only players can post in the game thread!

Day 1 starts now and will last for a bit over 48h - check votefinder posts or the Votefinder image to know where the votecount stands at any time. It is linked just before the player list in the first post of the thread, and looks like this:

You will also see the Votefinder bot post at certain times; those posts include the same info, and are useful to know state of the game at different points in the past. The info comes from here https://votefinder.org/game/games.

During the day, players will need to debate and agree on eliminating (flipping) one of them. Upon flip, the information on that player's PM will be made public. This includes their alignment and role.

---

Nobody knew how it'd happened. Such an old, respected member of the community, gone without a trace, leaving their heartbroken partner of many years behind. A hastily scribbled note in the grass was all there was to it.

"We have taken the Pong upper paddle hostage. If you want to recover them unharmed, you all will need to follow our instructions."

It is now Day 1!

Shellception fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 28, 2022

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (13): AFancyQuestionMark, Bucnasti, Caffeinated Jerkoff, Cloacamazing!, cuntman.net, Green Wing, Hyper Crab Tank, Jadecore, LupusAter, My Second Re-Reg, NeverHelm, PlasticAutomaton, wologar

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is June 30th, 2022 at 5 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 days, 4 hours.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

How do you do, fellow gamers? It's time to game. Do not asks for whom the game games...

It games for you.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Wake up gamers, cuz you’re watching the big crime dimension!

Seriously though, are people looking after Lower Paddle? They need someone with them in these trying times.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.

Shellception posted:

"We have taken the Pong upper paddle hostage. If you want to recover them unharmed, you all will need to follow our instructions."[/i]
A dreadful crime! In the name of classic arcade games, we cannot allow this to stand.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Everyone's acting so concerned about the upper paddle, but nobody's asking what happened to the ball?

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

alright joining this game finally got me to buy an avatar, truly I am a pawn in Jeffrey's machinations.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Hello my dear friends! It feels so wonderful to be here with you on my first Mafia game.

Speaking of, isn't it mighty suspicious that someone 'with experience' appeared right after a beloved member of our community was kidnapped? I call foul play.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Green Wing posted:

alright joining this game finally got me to buy an avatar, truly I am a pawn in Jeffrey's machinations.

Yes please, everyone should buy avatars so I can be the only Stupid Newbie.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Hello everyone! Looking forward to the game, might end up actually making a correct guess.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Everyone's acting so concerned about the upper paddle, but nobody's asking what happened to the ball?

…you didn’t hear? I guess it’s a bit of a sore subject. The… the original Ball wanted to strike out on their own, get into other franchises. After a somewhat successful stint with Breakout games, they tried to go even farther and, well. They died in a stunt accident during the production of Bomberman: Act Zero. It wasn’t pretty.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
You know what they say, "spend your whole life paddling and you'll eventually find yourself up a creek."

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Hi friends, I just finished looking up the GameFAQs guide for Mafia so I feel confident that I know who all the scums are already.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Hi friends, I just finished looking up the GameFAQs guide for Mafia so I feel confident that I know who all the scums are already.

Sounds like something scum would say.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Jadecore posted:

…you didn’t hear? I guess it’s a bit of a sore subject. The… the original Ball wanted to strike out on their own, get into other franchises. After a somewhat successful stint with Breakout games, they tried to go even farther and, well. They died in a stunt accident during the production of Bomberman: Act Zero. It wasn’t pretty.

The Ball always was an independent spirit, always bouncing off the paddles and wandering off the edge of the screen. Maybe if they'd stuck around, they could've been there to stop the upper paddle from being taken.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Is it you?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
The Ball was a cousin of mine. I'm more about bouncing around, though. I've never been one for a paddlin'.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Sorry, I'm just a little arkanoid about something happening to the other paddle.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

hang on a second i thought pong had a left paddle and a right paddle. something doesnt add up here

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Jadecore posted:

Wake up gamers, cuz you’re watching the big crime dimension!

Seriously though, are people looking after Lower Paddle? They need someone with them in these trying times.

wait thats it. lower paddle is the only one with motivation for the crime. now that upper paddle is out of the way theyll win every game forever. case closed guys lower paddle is the culprit

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Sorry, I'm just a little arkanoid about something happening to the other paddle.

:bravo:

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

cuntman.net posted:

wait thats it. lower paddle is the only one with motivation for the crime. now that upper paddle is out of the way theyll win every game forever. case closed guys lower paddle is the culprit

You make a compelling point about their motive. Now we just need to locate evidence...

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Yet to post: Buncasti; Cloacamazing; My Second Re-Reg.

I mean it's day 1 and there's nothing to go on, and I feel nervous when I'm not doing something which is arguably useful.

Previously in in-person Werewolf or whatever, I'd suggest skipping the execution on day 1, but since we don't know how many scum there are (right?) and we get the information when we execute, I guess there's little reason not to execute on day 1?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
If I have learned anything from reading through SA Mafia threads, it's that day one is for shitposting and turbos.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
That said, since Green Wing brought up no execution, I would rather vote PlasticAutomaton. As the only one here with previous game experience, he would be a great asset for the mafia team. And if he's town, we would still have superior numbers.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Green Wing posted:

I mean it's day 1 and there's nothing to go on, and I feel nervous when I'm not doing something which is arguably useful.

Previously in in-person Werewolf or whatever, I'd suggest skipping the execution on day 1, but since we don't know how many scum there are (right?) and we get the information when we execute, I guess there's little reason not to execute on day 1?

So it's usually a good idea to execute someone on D1. Whether it be for an actual case, a dumb turbo, or even apathy, that's a flip that's on the board for information. The more information town has to work with, the easier it is to find scum. (Though obviously, there is some information, like any roles you may or may not have, that should not be outed unless relevant. Or funny.)

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

wologar posted:

That said, since Green Wing brought up no execution, I would rather vote PlasticAutomaton. As the only one here with previous game experience, he would be a great asset for the mafia team. And if he's town, we would still have superior numbers.

Rude, but I like the way you think.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Green Wing posted:

Oh, I'm here - still feeling appropriately lost lol

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

I'm more inclined to not 'flip' anyone Day 1 just by the nature of absolutely zero information to work off of and not wanting to be horribly unfair, but if the person with actual experience says it's a better idea to do so, I suppose my choices would be either Lower Paddle (that argument WAS pretty compelling), or wologar for being the first one to rather rudely propose flipping someone with, as mentioned, zero information. :v:

Still lean more towards no elimination.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Jadecore posted:

I'm more inclined to not 'flip' anyone Day 1 just by the nature of absolutely zero information to work off of and not wanting to be horribly unfair, but if the person with actual experience says it's a better idea to do so, I suppose my choices would be either Lower Paddle (that argument WAS pretty compelling), or wologar for being the first one to rather rudely propose flipping someone with, as mentioned, zero information. :v:

Still lean more towards no elimination.

i like this idea and not only because we seem to be on the same page about lower paddle. it seems only fair that wologar would have the privilege of bravely taking one for the team

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Somebody is going to get flipped in night 1 regardless, hooowever:

The more I think about it, the more I think not executing Day 1 is a gift to the scum, and agree with PlasticAutomaton. Having the information about who voted for who, what they said, even if appearing to be in jest - too good to pass up. Otherwise we're just dealing with the same stuff tomorrow.

Probably going to vote Jadecore on the basis that I think that's how I post if I was scum and wanted to secure no execution (by positioning it as that, or execute wologar)

This is literally just a vibes argument though, but, day 1 innit. I'm going to work off of vibes and go for ##vote Jadecore. Might change it tomorrow, who knows! Day 1, what a concept!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'm here, I don't know how we can flip somebody other than maybe lower paddle without any more information to go off of.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Jadecore (1): Green Wing

Not Voting (12): AFancyQuestionMark, Bucnasti, Caffeinated Jerkoff, Cloacamazing!, cuntman.net, Hyper Crab Tank, Jadecore, LupusAter, My Second Re-Reg, NeverHelm, PlasticAutomaton, wologar

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is June 30th, 2022 at 5 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 18 hours.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

I'm here, I don't know how we can flip somebody other than maybe lower paddle without any more information to go off of.

Lower paddle isn't a player, that's just flavour.

Flipping somebody doesn't just gain the information from the flip - it also gains the information based on who voted for who, who dragged their feet, and how that compares to the result of the flip. None of this information is gained from a flip that happens in the night - so on thinking of it again, I'm pretty sure we'd be in a much worse position if we didn't do it.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Green Wing posted:

Lower paddle isn't a player, that's just flavour.

I now realise you almost certainly knew this and was joking but I'm posting at 0340 for some reason so I'm not thinking well.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Rude, but I like the way you think.

Sorry! I know it's particularly rude because you came to help fill in a game that had a bit of trouble starting. I really hope you're town, but I felt it was better to bring that up early.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I feel like everybody playing this has way more experience in what "forums mafia" is/does than I do. Unless anybody can convince me otherwise, I'm going for whatever vote seems the most chaotic at the last minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

someone please volunteer to be executed so we can get some more information. preferrably if youre scum